In Which Tinker Blesses My 72-10s

there isn’t a whole lot to this story other than what i posted on instagram, but figured everyone here would actually appreciate it. 

rewind to a few days ago…i’m waiting for my flight to PDX to board at JFK when i notice an elderly gent walking by in a fedora and funky white backpack. if you’ve ever seen tinker in person - and i have a few times because of my former job - i immediately knew it was him. 

but i’m not the type to bother celebs or personalities. they’re just people, you know? so i figured it was cool enough that he was on my flight. 

on my way to steerage i took a mental note of where he was sitting in case i wanted to “bug” him later.  

it’s worth mentioning now that i was headed to portland for meetings at nike. and seeing someone like tinker on his way back to portland from nyc is not unusual. he spends most of his time traveling anyway. 

but it’s more than just a coincidence that i’d packed my 72-10s in my carry-on and a sharpie, which i had randomly packed before leaving my place that morning. i never use sharpies. ever. 

so i grabbed em out of my bag, crossed the plane and tapped him on the shoulder. i apologized for bothering him and asked if he wouldn’t mind signing my Js. he was super nice about it, asked me my name and whether or not i wanted them dedicated. i did not. 

we chitchatted for a bit and i asked what he was up to in nyc to which he responded that he’d been meeting with the folks at the MOMA about getting some Nike gear in the museum. 

it was a slightly nerve-wracking experience and now i can never wear my 72-10s. hopefully they restock again soon. EDIT: OF COURSE I MISSED THE RESTOCK BC I WAS WRITING THIS POST. fml.

the morale of the story: nut up and just ask if you ever see him! my only regret is that i didn't bother to ask mark parker for a selfie when i saw him near NTNY a few months back. if i'd done that, i'd only need to track down fujiwara to complete the trifecta! 

Last edited:
Lit [emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji] get those in a clear case ASAP

Great story and words of truth. Life is short. GET UP AND JUST DO IT...[emoji]128513[/emoji][emoji]128526[/emoji]

Last edited:
Awesome story.

But just wondering - if that was MJ, would anyone have approached him, given all the stories floating around?

Back
Top Bottom