Information Technology (IT)

I mean I don't know if there I just a magic cert that can take you from teacher salary to 100k with little to no experience.

I suggested sql because it's an easy enough programming language to learn and there will be a need for it for years to come.

In 4-5 years you can become an expert and write your own ticket. Same with the Azure certs. You can easily get get the Az-900 but that will just get you in the door you will want to learn way more to take yourself further and closer to your desired salary.

Ps I did the switch myself. I worked in education for almost a decade and made the pivot to IT. I went back to school while teaching myself sql and landing a job during my first semester. I make 6 figures now but I made the transition a little over 4 years ago.
I make over $90k bro.. as a teacher... so me starting at $30k-$60k i would be taking a major paycut

I make over $90k bro.. as a teacher... so me starting at $30k-$60k i would be taking a major paycut
90K as a teacher is great money (obviously its dependent on where you live), but if you want to make a pivot into IT based on solely a certification you may need to expect a paycut.

You could always do both until you get more experience and land an ideal salary.

90K as a teacher is great money (obviously its dependent on where you live), but if you want to make a pivot into IT based on solely a certification you may need to expect a paycut.

You could always do both until you get more experience and land an ideal salary.
I was just tired of the education field... but i know im not willing to take a paycut... and i live in DC where teachers are able to make good money based off performance and incentives

I mean I don't know if there I just a magic cert that can take you from teacher salary to 100k with little to no experience.

I suggested sql because it's an easy enough programming language to learn and there will be a need for it for years to come.

In 4-5 years you can become an expert and write your own ticket. Same with the Azure certs. You can easily get get the Az-900 but that will just get you in the door you will want to learn way more to take yourself further and closer to your desired salary.

Ps I did the switch myself. I worked in education for almost a decade and made the pivot to IT. I went back to school while teaching myself sql and landing a job during my first semester. I make 6 figures now but I made the transition a little over 4 years ago.

where did you learn SQL? any websites/courses?

I was just tired of the education field... but i know im not willing to take a paycut... and i live in DC where teachers are able to make good money based off performance and incentives
Props to you man. Lots of teachers out there would kill for that salary.

I have a sister in a similar position. The early years of working in IT aren't really high paying but you learn enough to write your own ticket.

Props to you man. Lots of teachers out there would kill for that salary.

I have a sister in a similar position. The early years of working in IT aren't really high paying but you learn enough to write your own ticket.
yea my homeboy out here is KILLIN EM.. making $150k plus and gets 2 emails a day... he just picked up a side gig bartending..

IT is a broad field. The way you move and who you know can get you above 6 figures within two years or less. Plus utilizing the skills you already have from your current field and figure out how to make them useful in a Tech related field.

You can look at it this way, if you feel you're capped at around 100k in education, if you take a pay cut. You could be making double that in Tech if you make the right moves. Listening to some podcast, i've heard some stories of people making good money in their fields, but wanting something more fulfilling and finding that in tech. they were able to make more money in the long run than they ever thought possible, plus make a bigger impact.

You just have to ask more question in multiple spaces, and google a lot more.

Just my two cents.

You won't take much of a pay cut if any if you get into the IT Security field. Look into ISSO roles and aim for the CISSP cert.

yea my homeboy out here is KILLIN EM.. making $150k plus and gets 2 emails a day... he just picked up a side gig bartending..

assuming your friend is doing gov contractor work, it's certainly not out of the ordinary...

i can't tell you how enlightening this Reddit thread was fo my own insights...

I’ve come across that post before. I guess it depends on where you’re at in your career. If I’m making $120k+ I’m content with that and not complaining to anyone. But then again I’m a lazy dude so this would be a dream :lol:

That's why i'm intrigued by the overemployed thing. Mid-Sr contributors who get paid amazingly double/triple/quadrupling up jobs still working less than 40 hours a week. Fun to see, like the top post is this dude making over a mill a year but don't think I could do it, things never work for me if i'm not on the up and up. I see no issues though, work is getting done and wealthy execs get to be on 5 other boards on top of owning seperate companies and no one bats an eye.

Very common story for government work. The not doing ****, not that 5 job thing that sounds wild. Filing taxes must be a pain in the ***

That's why i'm intrigued by the overemployed thing. Mid-Sr contributors who get paid amazingly double/triple/quadrupling up jobs still working less than 40 hours a week. Fun to see, like the top post is this dude making over a mill a year but don't think I could do it, things never work for me if i'm not on the up and up. I see no issues though, work is getting done and wealthy execs get to be on 5 other boards on top of owning seperate companies and no one bats an eye.

I love me a get paid to do nothing job. Goals 😍

All my Fed/Gov contractors don’t get caught up with all this multiple jobs thing. I hear it on the daily. I always say what line of work do they do. I’m in the DMV so 9 outta 10 times a decent job is tied to the Gov. Yea they can do it in the private sector and honesty maybe in the Fed/Gov world but you’re gonna end up with NO job at all. I say this because of Security Clearances and background investigations. Depends on the level cause you know the higher they go the deeper they look.

So tread at your own risk. Cause as soon as the agent doing your investigation see’s overlapping jobs with overlapping hours as well and it’s Gov related good luck mitigating that. They’ll probably hit you with candor, ethics, honesty, and even fraud type stuff. Now I doubt it’ll reach the level of jail or anything but it could reach the level of disbarment from a government job. My friends tell me I’m overthinking it but naw I’m good. Seen dudes get caught up for not reporting working a second job after hours so I can imagine working one during your actual work hours.

Again, it’s probably possible to pull off but be careful. It sounds good. Also, don’t think cause you might not list a previous place of employment they don’t know where you’ve worked.

Sorry for the wall of text. Don’t wanna see my NT brethren go out sad.

Last edited:
\

Anyone with any tip on how to get govt job when you consume cannabis? Do they still care about it?
This is tricky. A lot of people like to have diarrhea at the mouth about their past usage on forms and such. Thinking that oh if I come clean they’ll understand (could be the case but also could disqualify you) it can really come down to the people you list on your background forms. Give them the heads up that hey I’ve never smoked and you’ve never seen me smoke. If you put yes then be prepared for that to follow you around. Yes, it’s not as bad nowadays but still not legal on a federal level. Some agencies might not care as long as you not rolling up everyday but DEA, FBI, ATF, Secret Service, CIA and some others are definitely out for you for at least 1-3yrs.

If you’re actively looking for a job and interviewing might wanna chill. Sometimes those offers can come quick and you’re F’d. funny I took a drug test today for a job. Told me I had 48hrs to pass it or the offer is off the table.

So essentially I wouldnt make 6 figures for 4-5 years.... what kind of salary could I expect?
All solid advice, but I also think the company matters too. My company is giving kids out of school 120K total compensation. so "it depends" lol

All my Fed/Gov contractors don’t get caught up with all this multiple jobs thing. I hear it on the daily. Yea they can do it in the private sector and honesty maybe in the Fed/Gov world but you’re gonna end up with NO job at all. I say this because of Security Clearances and background investigations. Depends on the level cause you know the higher they go the deeper they look.

So tread at your own risk. Cause as soon as the agent doing your investigation see’s overlapping jobs with overlapping hours as well and it’s Gov related good luck mitigating that. They’ll probably hit you with candor, ethics, honesty, and even fraud type stuff. Now I doubt it’ll reach the level of jail or anything but it could reach the level of disbarment from a government job. My friends tell me I’m overthinking it but naw I’m good. Seen dudes get caught up for not reporting working a second job after hours so I can imagine working one during your actual work hours.

Again, it’s probably possible to pull off but be careful. It sounds good. Also, don’t think cause you might not list a previous place of employment they don’t know where you’ve worked.

Sorry for the wall of text. Don’t wanna see my NT brethren go out sad.
Nah I don't think you're overthinking it, I wouldn't even play that with clearance jobs.

I hope his CPA is good bcuz taxes are gonna eat him alive lol

Back
Top Bottom