Information Technology (IT)

How do you move up to tier 2 on help desk? I figure I might as well try while finishing school.

May I ask what your job is currently?

After I pass the SEC+ i plan on applying to a bunch of positions. Ive been doing help desk for 5 years and I feel like once i get Sec+ it'll open more opportunities for me.

But i been reading around that theres almost no demand for entry level security positions.

I was planning on maybe applying to IAM roles but my main focus is to do anything other than a help desk. Any tips?
Cyber Security Systems Engineer.

Screenshot_20220112-111245_Gallery.jpg

BARELY Passed Sec+ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had one user call in saying her laptop screen cracked after she accidentally dropped it..

proceeded to ask me to remote into the computer to fix it........ :stoneface: :lol::stoneface:
I'm glad I don't be on phones too often because I don't know how I would react in real time to something like this :rofl:

I guess the Product Owner position I inquired about 5 months ago received funding approval so I was scheduled for a last minute day-of interview with team leads (including my boss)…

For only a few hours heads up, it seems like it went decently…I had their attention (I think) for most of the time allotment (1 hour), especially for being so late in the day…who knows, tho

Congrats! What resources did you use bro? And how long did it take for you to study for it?

thanks. I used Jason Dion's course on Udemy and his practice exams. Took me about 2.5 weeks.

I highly dont recommend using one source though. The exam was harder than any of Dion's practice exams. Esp the PBQ.

A lot of people seem to recommend Professor Messer for learning, and Dion for his practice exams.

for those in security, do you guys think I have enough on my resume to start applying to junior/entry level security analysts positions?

Sec+
A+

and also 7 years of desktop support. 5 of those being with the feds.

was on https://www.cyberseek.org/pathway.html last night and it seems like the top certs employers are looking for in terms of entry level are:

• SANS/GIAC Certification (Various)
  • CompTIA Security+
  • Information Systems Certification
  • IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Certification

thinking about getting ITIL 4 as well to add to my resume.

Cleaned up my resume and started applying to a bunch last night but just wanted some insight.

for those in security, do you guys think I have enough on my resume to start applying to junior/entry level security analysts positions?

Sec+
A+

and also 7 years of desktop support. 5 of those being with the feds.

was on https://www.cyberseek.org/pathway.html last night and it seems like the top certs employers are looking for in terms of entry level are:

• SANS/GIAC Certification (Various)
  • CompTIA Security+
  • Information Systems Certification
  • IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Certification

thinking about getting ITIL 4 as well to add to my resume.

Cleaned up my resume and started applying to a bunch last night but just wanted some insight.

Do you have a degree as well?
There's jobs out there that would take a "chance" on you without those added certs. just be sure that when you interview with them to let them know that you are pursuing more cybersecurity certs/education.

Glad to see NTers prospering..

Im in education currently.. BS in Education and a Masters in Special Education

If I switched careers... what certs would I need to make around $100k

Dead *** teach yourself sql and take a help desk or analyst position. 6 figures within 4-5 years.

You could get into the azure world as well and go far.

Dead *** teach yourself sql and take a help desk or analyst position. 6 figures within 4-5 years.

You could get into the azure world as well and go far.
So essentially I wouldnt make 6 figures for 4-5 years.... what kind of salary could I expect?

Glad to see NTers prospering..

Im in education currently.. BS in Education and a Masters in Special Education

If I switched careers... what certs would I need to make around $100k
CISSP and PMP,
you'll neem to get some sort of experience first and someone to sponsor your CISSP cert when you pass it.
and like sneakaprince sneakaprince said sql or maybe a full stack developer if you're into that, but it'll take a few years to prove you're deserving of that 6-figure salary you want.

So essentially I wouldnt make 6 figures for 4-5 years.... what kind of salary could I expect?
I mean I don't know if there I just a magic cert that can take you from teacher salary to 100k with little to no experience.

I suggested sql because it's an easy enough programming language to learn and there will be a need for it for years to come.

In 4-5 years you can become an expert and write your own ticket. Same with the Azure certs. You can easily get get the Az-900 but that will just get you in the door you will want to learn way more to take yourself further and closer to your desired salary.

Ps I did the switch myself. I worked in education for almost a decade and made the pivot to IT. I went back to school while teaching myself sql and landing a job during my first semester. I make 6 figures now but I made the transition a little over 4 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom