Information Technology (IT)

Just saw a servicenow developer/admin gig for 160k. It's real in the field. Thing is even if you know a bit, YOU are the sme at this point.

Using SNOW daily at work..

Am I slipping? :lol:

Only a network tech making 20.75/hr

Might have to look into that :nerd:  

Super blessed to be in this job and position. The amount i learned within a year and the stuff that i touched is crazy. FYI i started as 25/hr with zero enterprise experience as a servicedesk tech

ServiceNow, never heard of it. Then again I work for the Department of Defense so we are probably just behind. You think I should learn that or SCCM? I see crazy lucrative SCCM Admin jobs out there sometimes, it's not even that difficult.

ServiceNow, never heard of it. Then again I work for the Department of Defense so we are probably just behind. You think I should learn that or SCCM? I see crazy lucrative SCCM Admin jobs out there sometimes, it's not even that difficult.

I use both of these currently and if I had to choose I would go with SCCM. Its a great tool and a lot of Enterprise businesses are using it.

SCCM is the long haul, Servicenow is the new joint. SME in both pay well right now.
Using SNOW daily at work..

Am I slipping? :lol:

Only a network tech making 20.75/hr

Might have to look into that :nerd:  

Super blessed to be in this job and position. The amount i learned within a year and the stuff that i touched is crazy. FYI i started as 25/hr with zero enterprise experience as a servicedesk tech

You should do an experiment for us. Once you got the Servicenow Admin cert, put your resume up and see what calls you get.

SCCM is the long haul, Servicenow is the new joint. SME in both pay well right now.
You should do an experiment for us. Once you got the Servicenow Admin cert, put your resume up and see what calls you get.

I should but i gotta study up on it. The instructor that i had didnt go over any test questions nor didnt bother tellin us how yhe test is

i would say both cause my last job utilized them both.

About to start prepping for CCNA. I'll be able to create a real time lab environment at my current job and I'm checking amazon/interwebs for some study materials. My career track has been 1st level helpdesk to helpdesk/Noc hybrid to a Sr. Voice Noc analyst at my current gig. I'm really starting to get burned out on the current voice switching platform I work on and have started the process to learn another voice switch just to give myself a break. The day to day grind dealing with outages, turn ups,etc.is starting to wear on me man. I just need something new. So hopefully I can pick up some cisco certs and eventually get into another side of the NOC or ditch working for ISPs altogether. Wish me luck brahs.

I need to get back proactive getting certs. Currently I'm a software implementation consultant for a payment solutions company but I would like some more coin. I interviewed for a few positions but my lack of project management skills failed me. What's the best way to tackle the PM cert or do I even need a cert

Anyone have an ITIL certification? Any good? My job offers it for free.

Would be a 3 day thing, I think it's worth like $500. Any good having that?

Anyone have an ITIL certification? Any good? My job offers it for free.

Would be a 3 day thing, I think it's worth like $500. Any good having that?
500? hell naw lol.

Cert is like 250 and i passed it using a 14 dollar Udemy course. Its literally a vocab test. I will say working in an ITIL environment helped me a tad though where I Didnt even need to finish the course.

Finished up all of my programming courses and im getting crazy rusty. Finished up my Java courses first and I haven't touched it in almost a year 
mean.gif

I really need to start working on my portfolio if I want to make that leap from Networking --> Programming after I get my degree but im not even sure where to start.

I think of things I can make and either it's already been done or is outside my current skill level. Ya boy is lost. 

I guess the real question is, is it worth it to stay in Networking? Already have my CCNA lab set up at home and have learned a ridiculous amount of knowledge at my job (Data Center) but between full-time work/school hardly have the mental energy to pursue it.

Just doesn't seem to be as lucrative or versatile as programming. 

Last edited:
From what I was told/read, people with CCNP's and higher are pulling in above 100k in the networking field. I tried the programming route in college, and it was way too difficult for me. On the other hand, some of my friends from my Comp Sci classes are at very nice jobs now as programmers. 

Last edited:
My programming courses were my easiest classes imo. The lowest grade I got was in C++ 2 and that was a B+. Banged out A's in the rest. 

it's all the unnecessary math that made me change to MIS. Could not do it anymore. 

I've also heard getting a CCNP is hard as f--- which is why not very many dudes have it.

2 of my coworkers have their CCNA and they're fairly smart dudes and want nothing to do with the CCNP..

Last edited:
Highest I had to go was Calculus II, took me two tries to pass it. You and I share the same sentiments when it comes to higher math. Have you applied for any internships or jobs in programming, you seem to be pretty good at it? I'm sure you could make some really good money after a few years. Only programming class I ever got an A in was an intro to Python course. I'm jealous fam 

As for the CCNP, I will think about it after I get my CCNA. I have also heard it is hard as hell, but your boy is willing to do it if it means a better living for me and my family 

Have to take Calc 3, Differential Equations, and Linear Algebra @ my Uni. **** no.

Haven't applied to any because they're all pay cuts 
mean.gif

First internship I got was in Networking and I was hired by that company full-time which is why I have mixed feelings about my predicament. 

Everywhere I've looked is uncertain pay cuts that make me question if programming is even worth it and if I should just stay in my lane in terms of networking. 

Last edited:
Exactly. Won't lie there's also a bit of loyalty sprinkled in as well as the opportunity completely changed my way of life.

Appreciate it though man, favorite rapper in the game right now 
nthat.gif

Pay cuts in full time jobs or internships? I say stay in what you've been doing if it's working out for you. If its a paycut for the programming job your area might not be the best for the field.

I really recommend Get Certified Get Ahead by Darril Gibson. Easily passed security + after reading that.

Thank you I have read through about 60% of the book already. I saw the recommendation on techexams. Going to watch some of the YouTube videos they recommend as well.

How long did it take you to study for the test?

Back
Top Bottom