Information Technology (IT)

Hope everyone here had a good year and "IT" continues next year and so on. All i can say is what a year for me. From having zero IT enterprise experience and working as a service desk to being an assoc. application engineer. Feels good man.
I'm in a service desk position currently and have learned a lot since I started, how long did it take for you to move up in the ranks? If you don't mind me asking, what did you do at your service desk and what do you do now? Was the service desk job a foundation for what you are doing now?

Last edited:
Unless he's a manager it aint happenin.

There's only so far you can go as a dev/tech/ana/eng before you hit a ceiling. It's outrageously high depending on your IT specialization, but not 300k high from any specialty I've seen.

150k and whatever you're doing you have to be at the very top of your field. 

My boss doesn't make that and he's a mid-level manager.

This is partly true. It really depends on your area and experience. I'm hardly at the top of my field (2 yrs of experience) and have been contacted by companies offering me 120K-150K . Location plays a huge factor .
My manager is making well over 150 says he can't seem to spend less than 100K per year must be nice lol.

703, after you get your Net+ I'd say to go for a tougher cert outside of Comptia.

Since so many are looking to start their careers soon, for those that are in the field already where do you work and how did you get there?

I work for a defense contractor company. Hitting my 2 years with them on the 5th also graduated 2 years ago time flies. I am a software engineer, got the job by working hard in UG and working 3 different internships.

I say be as armed with as much as you can. Experience is king but having certs and degrees won't hurt.

I kinda dislike the vague myth of a random 300k IT position dispelled to those that don't understand it. Just entices more of those folks who are just interested in a paycheck to pursue. They are a pain to manage, and firing folks is never fun. Props to the hungry, passionate ones that make the best of it though.

Last edited:
Just checked my LinkedIn heres one of the headhunter emails. I just hit 2 years of experience. The money is definitely out here . Like Mark said , If your in it for the money you just better be good and know your stuff, so don't think it's gonna be a cakewalk you won't last long.

View media item 2284053

300k does seem high, but it really depends on what they're doing in IT. You can be a top ranked IT Recruiter making a boatload on commission. A lot of people say they work in IT, but that does always mean the tech side of things.

Yall out here eatin huh? Might have to throw all of yall a party :lol:

And here I'm out here shootin for $50k

300k does seem high, but it really depends on what they're doing in IT. You can be a top ranked IT Recruiter making a boatload on commission. A lot of people say they work in IT, but that does always mean the tech side of things.

lol low key when cats say "I do IT" thats saying "you wouldnt understand what I did if I told you".

Seeing the success of everyone in here w/ IT networking, I'm considering taking the Network+ after the CAPM. I have to have a IT PM focus and though programming/coding is coo, I feel I'd become more versatile if chose the networking route since I could expand on that. Gon be a busy year for the kid.

Seeing the success of everyone in here w/ IT networking, I'm considering taking the Network+ after the CAPM. I have to have a IT PM focus and though programming/coding is coo, I feel I'd become more versatile if chose the networking route since I could expand on that. Gon be a busy year for the kid.

PMs are literally the least technical people on earth lol.

You better off focusing on ITIL, Scrum Master, and the CAPM and getting into a JR PM or Project Coordinator Role then get the experience up to work on PMP.

If you want to learn to Code then do it for yourself but that isn't going to do anything to get you into a PM role.

PM roles they are concerned with your organization, communication skills, leadership, knowledge of methodologies and frameworks, and budgeting skills.

Most PMs on the Infrastructure side only have the basic ITIL and PMP certs.

PMs are literally the least technical people on earth lol.

You better off focusing on ITIL, Scrum Master, and the CAPM and getting into a JR PM or Project Coordinator Role then get the experience up to work on PMP.

If you want to learn to Code then do it for yourself but that isn't going to do anything to get you into a PM role.

PM roles they are concerned with your organization, communication skills, leadership, knowledge of methodologies and frameworks, and budgeting skills.

Most PMs on the Infrastructure side only have the basic ITIL and PMP certs.

Oh I know, but again I'm in Pittsburgh where they want them to know technical stuff. And I'm looking at this from a way to give me more bargaining power and versatility.

Oh I know, but again I'm in Pittsburgh where they want them to know technical stuff. And I'm looking at this from a way to give me more bargaining power and versatility.

i just say becareful to not get placed in a role where they want you to be something you have no plans on being and end up not getting good transferrable experience. Like I said people will see something on your resume and dumb recruiters will set you up selling you one role and it end up being something else.

i find that people in IT dont  like to discuss it with others but if they find out you work in IT as well they turn into chatty cathys 

on some "oh word you do IT me too etc"

Cuz most people don't understand lol . I tell someone I'm an embedded systems software engineer they have no clue what I'm talking about. 

i just say becareful to not get placed in a role where they want you to be something you have no plans on being and end up not getting good transferrable experience. Like I said people will see something on your resume and dumb recruiters will set you up selling you one role and it end up being something else.

Great point, forgot how cats put u in a box that you had no intentions on being in and it's even worse here since the area is still relatively oblivious to IT if it's;lol not healthcare related outside of Google, and the banks. I've been looking at the ITIL and Scrum, and even Agile certs, that damn CSM course is a cool stack plus though not counting the exam cost :lol:

Appreciate the input bruh. Gon write down a road map of what to study for so I can get things into perspective and shoot for Dec to have the education before I graduate.

Great point, forgot how cats put u in a box that you had no intentions on being in and it's even worse here since the area is still relatively oblivious to IT if it's;lol not healthcare related outside of Google, and the banks. I've been looking at the ITIL and Scrum, and even Agile certs, that damn CSM course is a cool stack plus though not counting the exam cost :lol:

Appreciate the input bruh. Gon write down a road map of what to study for so I can get things into perspective and shoot for Dec to have the education before I graduate.

CSM is about a rack but you literally show up and get the cert lol. Once you have it on your resume recruiters will blow you up just because of the key word. When I did ITIL and CSM literally a week later I had 5 interviews and ended up getting the job I got now.

At the end of the day all these certs are a waste of time, its literally just to fluff your resume. I will say the ITIL and CSM gives you good foundation knowledge that can help in interviews if you dont have experience at a shop that does ITIL or SCRUM.

What do you guys suggest as a focus/study if wanting to move up from a level 1 service desk analyst?
Meant to answer your questions but got busy. But to be honest start networking now within the IT dept and see if you can do a shadow job here and there to see what it really likes. Ask your windows admin to see what it took to get that spot they have now and just watch them when they're doing a project, pick their brains, i did that pretty much for all the infrastructure team since i work closely with them when i was doing Service Desk. (Desktop Engineer, System Admins, Networking and sometimes the PMO)

If i were you id start taking an hour here and there and start studying on something you want to do. Service Desk is a good foundation and its an open road that will take you anywhere where you want to be, just don't be stuck there for a long a time.

As for me, when i started the company was still small enough to the point that everyone was doing everything. I was just a quick learner that to the point where i started taking ownership on some of the stuff that nobody wanted like for example asset management. I was doing this on some systems that we use too. Then got my break when they asked me to be a ServiceNow admin and ended up with a new title as an Application Engineer. I own pretty what what i've been doing anyway but now with pay and title. (O365, Box, Sharepoint, ServiceNow) are the stuff im responsible for.

Back
Top Bottom