iPhone: Post everything here

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Originally Posted by jefffort5

ok..ive heard of ppl using only the tzones to get internet on their tmobile unlocked iphone..but i am also hearing that you have to have total internet..somebody help me out with this

I'm using tzones and my Internet works perfect! $5.99 for unlimited ftw!
Hit me up. I need a lil help with that. I heard that tzones doesn't work with the messengers, and Agile is my best friend at the moment. Isthat true¿

I'm updating to 2.1 and iTunes 8.0 ... still debating on whether I want to use QuickPwn for Windows... but I will probably end up doing it.. stay tuned fordetails

^ Go ahead, cause I'll follow your lead
laugh.gif
pause

Originally Posted by JDocs

I'm updating to 2.1 and iTunes 8.0 ... still debating on whether I want to use QuickPwn for Windows... but I will probably end up doing it.. stay tuned for details
I just did it last night with iTunes 8.0 and Quickpwn. Easy as hell.

here's the tutorial I used.
Okay, so i am by no means an expert at all this jailbreaking stuff, but i did do a lot of research before attempting to Jailbreak my 2.1 firmware 3G. I noticed a lot of questions being asked that were redundant (including some from me)...so I am going to share exactly what i did, what i used, and how things turned out...and yes, they turned out well in the end. This also covers restoring from a backup of non-jailbroken, stock 2.1 firmware AFTER quickpwning, and what the results are. If you want to QuickPwn properly and have Cydia/Installer WITHOUT LOSING ANY OF YOUR DATA, read on!

System specs:

-iPhone 3G, 8 GB

- PC: Windows XP SP2, iTunes 8.0, .net Framework 3.5 (this is important, so make sure you have this), QuickPwn 2.1

-Laptop: Vista 32-bit, iTunes 8.0, .net Framework 3.5, QuickPwn 2.1

Yes, i did the jailbreak twice, on both machines just to see if there was any difference between XP and Vista (there were none). XP iTunes is barebones iTunes 8.0, no music or apps. Laptop/Vista iTunes had all my synced files. Using QuickPwn on a computer with iTunes that you don't normally sync with to jailbreak is 100% ok.

Before you even think about QuickPwning, if you have a bunch of apps installed (I had 4 pages worth) DO NOT QUICKPWN! Doing this will MOST LIKELY cause your iPhone to get stuck on the Apple logo upon reboot after QuickPwning, and doing this twice through Vista and XP confirms this. If you're like me and have LEGIT, NON-Jailbroken 2.1 firmware already running, these are the steps you should take to do a proper QuickPwn:

1. Sync/Backup your iPhone completely. This is important should anything go wrong.

2. Backup that backup. Yes, you read right, navigate to your MobileSync folder and drag the "Backup" folder to a usb flash drive, or external hard drive, or make a copy to the desktop. This is because once we jailbreak and do a backup with jailbroken firmware, it will overwrite your previously clean, 2.1 backup, and we don't want this.

Location of backups folder in Vista (credit to SwedishHammer and Mortagon for additional info) :

Vista - C:\Users\(YOUR USER NAME HERE)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

XP - unconfirmed, someone find out and i will gladly add it.

3. Download QuickPwn for Windows. It can be found here: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

4. Make sure you have STOCK, LEGIT Apple 2.1 firmware/ipsw already on your computer (you should have this if you're running 2.1 already). If not, go get it. Google is your friend, so is MacRumors.

5. Before we QuickPwn, we are going to RESTORE completely to stock 2.1 firmware. This is ok because we made a backup earlier, remember? This way after the restore the iPhone has minimal crap on it and is primed for getting QuickPwned with no problems.

6. After you've restored to stock 2.1 firmware, reboot your computer. When your computer starts back up, you DO NOT have to kill any iTunes related processes like Apple Mobile Device Helper, or iTunes Helper.exe. NOTHING. As a matter of fact, don't even start iTunes at all once you've restarted.

7. Make sure your iPhone is plugged in via USB. Then run QuickPwn. I'd go through the steps here, but it's pointless because QuickPwn tells you what you need to do as it is running. If you can follow basic on-screen instructions, you'll be fine. I am 99.999% certain on you guys' ability to do this.

8. Once QuickPwn is done and your phone has rebooted with Cydia/Installer on it, you have succeeded! But wait...there's more!

9. If you want your settings, SMS, and all that good stuff back from your previously non-jailbroken 2.1 firmware, now is the time to go ahead and do that. Right click your iPhone on the left iTunes sidebar and choose "Restore from Backup." Your latest clean backup should be available. Select it, and let it do its thing. This can take anywhere from 25-40 minutes, which is a LOT LESS than the ~4 hours it would take pre-2.1 firmware.

10. When it has finished restoring from the backup, you will notice that all of your downloaded AppStore apps are gone...Cydia/Installer/the Jailbreak, SMS and settings and that stuff is still there, but the Apps are gone. You lost your game saves, everything. Right? Wrong!

11. Simply re-sync your iPhone with the Apps you previously had (this might already be checked for you in the iPhone Applications tab in iTunes) and when they are back on your phone, you will notice that the progress/data on all of those apps are EXACTLY like they were before. Go ahead and resync the rest of your media, and you're done! You now have a Jailbroken iPhone running 2.1 firmware, and absolutely none of your data was lost!
biggrin.gif

Please remember, folks, that this is my personal experience, and although i replicated this twice on two different machines with the same exact results, technology is always tricky and your hardware might be different, so your mileage may vary. Should you have any questions, go ahead and reply to this thread, or PM me and i'll help you out as best i can.
smile.gif

Here's how to find the backups on windows. I recommend you erase the previous ones, and make new ones.

C:\Users\(YOUR USER NAME HERE)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Originally Posted by 23MichaelJordan45

Originally Posted by rwfanatic

Has anyone ever had problems with the sounds of txt msgs not going off? Like you see that you're getting a msg but it just doesn't make any sound.... And yes, I do have the sounds on, it's actually supposed to have the "tri-tone" sound but it just will not work. This has just started today BTW

I had this problem when I first unlocked my iPhone, also, my 'phone' wasn't working, I could only call people from my contacts.
To fix that problem, was to rePwn my iPhone using WINpwn and it hasn't given me a problem
It's happened to me before. I did the headphones trick and it worked with no problems. Basically all you do is plug the headphones in andsnatch them right back out. You could also plug it in and slowly pull the headphones back out as well. It's a weird trick, but it does work.

Yo, I've been recording videos with the iPhone with Cycorder, but how the hell am I supposed to export them to my computer?

might i add to those that are not on 2.1 firmware, JUST DO IT

pros
1) batter life has increase, its insane
2) i havent experience one keyboard lag
3) reception shows i have 5 bars
4) jailbroken relative easliy

cons
1)

I have unlocked my iphone since 1.1.3, and i will admit this is by far apples best stable release for firmware. I am only adding this comment to my fellowniketalkers with the the iphone because im amaze at the improvement they have promise since the release of 2.0
If you havent, hop on 2.1 quick. You will be surprise how fast it is.

Originally Posted by just reason

hahahahah.. I can't believe boost got an iPhone..

Swirlysms is not working for me.. Says I need a mmsm ..

Best way to make louder ringtones is to make them yourself .. Try audiko.net or myxer.com
I know fam, I buckle under pressure. I'm glad to final own one. There are a few things missing that I loved on my Razr 2, but overall I couldnot be happier and the apps really make up for it.

ok..ive heard of ppl using only the tzones to get internet on their tmobile unlocked iphone..but i am also hearing that you have to have total internet..somebody help me out with this
the tzones aint working for me
Did you d/l the tzones hack from Cydia? After that turn off your iPhone for a couple of minutes, turn it back on, the 'E' for Edge shouldpop up.
Originally Posted by NCTwin

Hit me up. I need a lil help with that. I heard that tzones doesn't work with the messengers, and Agile is my best friend at the moment. Is that true¿
I don't know about messengers, currently not using any. I love my battery life, if I dare use AIM, my phone would die in a matter of hours,
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

Yo, I've been recording videos with the iPhone with Cycorder, but how the hell am I supposed to export them to my computer?
How is that? I'm using Videorecorder3g, and it's pretty good.

Originally Posted by just reason

hahahahah.. I can't believe boost got an iPhone..

Swirlysms is not working for me.. Says I need a mmsm ..

Best way to make louder ringtones is to make them yourself .. Try audiko.net or myxer.com
I know fam, I buckle under pressure. I'm glad to final own one. There are a few things missing that I loved on my Razr 2, but overall I could not be happier and the apps really make up for it.

the tzones aint working for me
Did you d/l the tzones hack from Cydia? After that turn off your iPhone for a couple of minutes, turn it back on, the 'E' for Edge should pop up.
Originally Posted by NCTwin

Hit me up. I need a lil help with that. I heard that tzones doesn't work with the messengers, and Agile is my best friend at the moment. Is that true¿
I don't know about messengers, currently not using any. I love my battery life, if I dare use AIM, my phone would die in a matter of hours,
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

How is that? I'm using Videorecorder3g, and it's pretty good.

as a iphone user to another, cycorder ****s on videorecorder3g. Instant encoding, and the quality is amazing. I am speechless on how they develop such a greatapp for the iphone. All thanks to saurik from cydia. He will go down as one of my favorite developers of all time. Cydia is great as it already is, than hemakes a program for us to record video. First, it did not have sound, but then it implement it later with a new release. So, my suggestion, go to cydia anddownload cycorder.

Originally Posted by retro23phan

/private/var/mobile/Media/Videos
Thats not the whole "link" though.

Which folder am i supposed to be looking under?

Example: C:/my computer/documents...

Stack is coming to the 2.0 firmwares. from itouch fans

Steven Troughton Smith, developer of iPhoneDOOM, Lights Off, Speed, and MobileStack, has ported the Leopard like utility to the 2.0 firmwares, which should beavailable soon for release on Cydia via STE Packaging.

New in this version include a drag and drop interface, themable stacks, and a much simpler way of doing things.

Quote:
[table][tr][td]
Originally Posted by Steven Troughton Smith

Well, the day has finally arrived; Stack v2.0 has been completed and is almost ready for release.

Stack is one of my oldest, and undoubtedly most successful, iPhone endeavours and is one I'm particularly proud of. I bought an iPod touch the day they were launched back in '07, and as soon as I could I began developing software for it. Looking at the design back then, the Button Bar (or Dock) on the iPod touch looked similar to that in Mac OS X 'Leopard' , and near instantly the idea popped into my head: why not recreate 'Stacks' on iPhone OS?

I played around with it in my head, as I knew it would be pretty simple to pull off visually as all 'Stacks' did was translate an icon in y and rotate it - dead simple to do with CoreAnimation. Pretty soon I had a demo version up and running and it looked great!

Complexity soon set in. I had to create a seperate application to manage the settings of Stack (singular, as there currently is only one Stack onscreen at a time ;-) ), and Stack itself originally modified the Button Bar icon list and placed a blank icon behind where the Stack should be. On top of that, Stack had to run on launch as an application displaying above SpringBoard.

Former users might recall that adding items to Stack was a messy, convoluted process involving XML editing and restarting the Stack application. Similarly, the original had reported issues of being unable to install, and I never developed it past iPhone OS 1.1.2, leaving many users stuck.

Then came the iPhone SDK, and iPhone OS 2.0, and it was exalted. But, for Stack, it meant DOOM. iPhone OS 2.0 prevents any application from running above SpringBoard and drawing a UI to the screen, and any such attempts equalled a nasty crash.

For a long time I thought Stack was dead, undoable for 2.0. For a long time, I was wrong =).

Dynamic Library Injection was its saviour. Basically, it means that the Stack code could be *injected* into Springboard, and actually run as part of SpringBoard. Thanks go to Nate True without whom I wouldn't have figured this all out. But wait, there's more! Since I was now part of SpringBoard, I had full access to add everything I had dreamed about adding to Stack v1 but never found a way to. With a bit of ingenuity, I was able to detect the dragging of SpringBoard icons and dynamically add items to Stack with but drag & drop. I was also able to pick up on WinterBoard themes, the #1 requested feature before v2. To seal the deal, I added the ability to drag-remove any item in Stack, replete with the familiar Mac 'poof' animation; a puff of smoke.

Where before Stack was a complex, power-user tool to set up and manage, it is now a user-friendly, drop-dead simple tool. I couldn't be happier with the results, and I'm proud to announce that it will be freely available next week from Ste Packaging in Cydia. A big thanks to all whom have e-mailed me over the past months, and I hope you all enjoy Stack v2!
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Here are a few images to put you through!

10983.png
10984.png
10985.png

can someone please answer this question...
whats the average price for an unlocked 1st generation 16gb iphone?
cuz i dont want to spend over $500 for one, but i seen some for under $400
i really need to kno bcuz i dont want to get jipped
nerd.gif

Alright I have a problem....
If you are using quickpwn. You dont have to be in DFU until later. This is what i did. I gathered everything necessary in that tutorial, i plug my iphone in, let it sync one last time. Then i shift and click restore, and located the newest firmware 2.1
once that is all done, just follow what it asks in quickpwn
I did that and once it was done I got the screen in itunes saying that the phone has been restored to factory settings and it was gonna restartblah, blah, blah..... But once the phone restarted I get the screen with the itunes logo and the usb cord saying slide for emergency
mad.gif
..... So after that I put the phone into recovery mode(holding the home and powerbutton) and went into itunes to restore AGAIN and once again after it was done doing it's thing I'm back to the itunes logo and usb cord
b5a2587eb747a15559d899f05af33de0d3f1d1c.gif
WHAT DO I DO NOW?

You have to restore it to get all your settings etc. back. It wont un-Jailbreak your phone though. That's why you back it up in the first place. Restartyour computer, then open up itunes while the iPhone is connected via USB and restore.

Edit: I'm not sure if that's the problem you're having.

I did restore it... I did it the same way that I got to 2.0.1.... I was told that you never "update" you always are supposed to "restore"so that's what I did and now I'm stuck with this screen.....
2j121bl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom