is French Montana AA But Not Black?

not true at all...its more of a class issue.

:lol: @ ya thinking David Ortiz, Jose Reyes & Céspedes arent treated like walking gods in DR because they're dark skinned.

ever seen what da Bachata god Anthony Santos looks like?
The majority of Black folk in those counties are doing bad, which is why dudes like Puig others will do what ever it takes to get out. Multi-Millionaire pro athletes and celebrities get treated well, but the masses of folk who look like them are struggling.

you wanna see lighter skinned Dominicans struggling? go to da cibao. :lol:

skin color plays several backseats to ethnicity on da island.

This is understood. Black people exist around the globe. This isn't exclusive to Latin America. A Nigerian would tell you they are Nigerian before anything else. A Jamaican would tell you they are Jamaican. A Haitian will identify as a Haitian. A Dominican as a Dominican.

Still doesn't remove their "blackness"

My battle isn't the fact that NH is BLACK....because wether he wants to accept it or not, THATS A FACT....my battle and one I will always cape for that man is how he chooses to identify, because if I was a bit darker and didn't have dead hair, I would still identify as Latino/Colombian above all, as long as NH is fighting a self identity battle, as a fellow Latino I will always understand where he is coming from....now him denying a clear fact that the man clearly has far deeper black roots than he does anything else, well he's on his own there

[My battle isn't the fact that NH is BLACK....because wether he wants to accept it or not, THATS A FACT....my battle and one I will always cape for that man is how he chooses to identify, because if I was a bit darker and didn't have dead hair, I would still identify as Latino/Colombian above all, as long as NH is fighting a self identity battle, as a fellow Latino I will always understand where he is coming from....now him denying a clear fact that the man clearly has far deeper black roots than he does anything else, well he's on his own there

You GET it. We're saying the same thing essentially. Personally, I think identifying with your culture is dope. Denying science and obvious **** is where I draw the line :lol:.

Steezy done came a long way on these issues :pimp:

I'm with Steezy on this one. I can understand the self-ethnic identification. But to deny your racial roots? Ninja, you got some black in you papi

you wanna see lighter skinned Dominicans struggling? go to da cibao. :lol:

skin color plays several backseats to ethnicity on da island.
I'm sure darker skinned Dominicans are more likely to represent a larger percentage of those in poverty than lighter skinned Dominicans.

Many negro latinas/latinos identify with their ethnicity rather than race outside of their homeland because they often don't want to be labeled "black".

Wrong, my wife knows she's black and won't deny it....however she has a cultural pride deeply rooted with her Latino label....lik majority of most other Latinos regardless of their skin color, word to blue eyed, blonde hair, milk White Venezuelans, they won't claim being white anymore than Nh would claim being black

I get your point. As I've mentioned, there are some things I haven't been exposed to, just like many people. I highly doubt there's someone out there who's been exposed to everything in this world. I'll admit, the first time I've actually met a Somalian was a few months ago up in Toronto. The guy was a cab driver and he was telling me about this family back in Somalia and his extended family in Minnesota. Before meeting him, I never knew there was a considerable large community of Somalians up there.

But to straight up deride me and say I wouldn't be familiar with an Afro-Cuban? C'mon now.

I have heard of the West African Slave Trade :lol:

:pimp:

Love my city man. 50% minorities. Got exposed to different races, ethnicities and cultures from a young age

Last edited:
I'm with Steezy on this one. I can understand the self-ethnic identification. But to deny your racial roots? Ninja, you got some black in you papi

latinos/hispanics are triracial, so instead of being overly compartmentalizing we are organized under da Latino/Hispanic banner.

my mother is one of 14+ sisters, by da same grandmother/grandfather couple (neither of which dark or real light) and they're every color from pale to dark.

you take those same sisters to da United States and folks prior frame of thought would've separate them by color.

Wrong, my wife knows she's black and won't deny it....however she has a cultural pride deeply rooted with her Latino label....lik majority of most other Latinos regardless of their skin color, word to blue eyed, blonde hair, milk White Venezuelans, they won't claim being white anymore than Nh would claim being black
Didn't say all I said many. I know Latinos/a who identify as black first some are as dark as ninja, darker and lighter. A conscious Latino wouldn't have a problem being called Black. Some even go by Afro-Cuban/Dominican/etc.

Well that's you being a bigot, telling a Latina she's white simply because she has strong European roots, isn't right.

Didn't say all I said many. I know Latinos/a who identify as black first some are as dark as ninja, darker and lighter. A conscious Latino wouldn't have a problem being called Black. Some even go by Afro-Cuban/Dominican/etc.

But if they do and fee strongly about being identified as exclusively Latino, THEY ARE NOT WRONG OR SELF HATING....they just have the luxury of claiming both or just one.

Don't forget "after 2020".

We got three years before they get us out the paint, **** getting spooky

View media item 2402361

you should be concerned if da census isn't accurately done...

Toggle navigation

NEXT UP

Hidden costs of segregation
Underspending in 2020 census could lead to undercount of Blacks
Charles D. Ellison Tribune Washington Correspondent Apr 11, 2017 0
news-census041117
A copy of a 2010 Census form.
When the independent federal watch-dog agency, the Government Accountability Office (GAO), released its 2017 “High Risk List” of dysfunctional, inefficient and wasteful programs, the 2020 Decennial Census made the Top 3 – out of a total of 34.

It was not a good look for the Census Bureau, the Constitutionally mandated central population-counting arm of the U.S. government that’s housed under the Department of Commerce. It noted a 30 percent cost overrun from the previous 2000 Census, more than $12 billion versus $9.4 billion, and the most expensive Census ever. Just counting one “housing unit” in 2010 cost $92 compared to only $16 in 1970.

The stakes are high for an accurate Census count in 2020 since a complete count of the country’s Black population ensures committed federal funding to those communities and a preservation or enhancement of Black political power based on proportional Black constituencies.

“Census data are vital to the implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of a wide range of civil rights laws and policies, from fair political representation and voting reforms, to equal opportunity and access across all economic and social sectors of society, including housing, education, health care, and the job market,” says Wade Henderson, president and CEO, The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights. “That’s why ensuring a fair and accurate census is a top priority of the civil and human rights coalition.

“Communities of color, urban and rural low-income households, immigrants, and young children are all at risk of being missed at disproportionately high rates.”

Should a call for “efficiencies” in the 2020 Census translate into policymakers proposing less investment in the crucial population count, many worry that could trigger a disastrous undercounting of the Black population. An undercounting of the Black population would then lead to fewer federal dollars flowing to Black communities and, potentially, fewer Black elected officials.

The Census count is the main decennial exercise that determines how state legislative and Congressional districts are drawn or mapped out by state legislators. If the Census tabulates fewer Black residents, Republicans in charge of state legislatures can eliminate Black-majority districts or districts that favor Black elected officials. That results in less political representation and less focus on policy issues of critical importance to the larger Black electorate.

While the proposed Trump White House FY 2018 budget recommends a $130 million increase from fiscal year 2017 to 2018, or about 10 percent, that’s still half the Obama administration 20 percent increase from 2016 to 2017 for the Bureau. In fact, both administrations oversaw marked reductions in Census Bureau spending compared to the Bush II administration, which increased spending by 34 percent in 2008 from 2006. What’s also problematic for the Bureau this round of proposed federal funding is the Trump administration’s request for an overall 16 percent reduction in the Bureau’s parent agency the Department of Commerce. The nominal Trump increase in the Census budget will be offset by drastic cuts in Commerce.

The spending increases for the overall Bureau are important since they allow the agency resources, personnel and technology in the years-long preparation for the next Census. With three years to go, Census administrators are no in a “ramp up” phase gearing up for 2020. The lowered budget prohibits that, fear critics, and could lead to undercounts of otherwise growing Black and Brown populations.

“We are almost too late when you think about the 2020 Census,” argues South Carolina State Rep. Gilda Cobb-Hunter, a chair for the National Black Caucus of State Legislators. Cobb-Hunter stresses the need for Black state legislators to warn their constituents about the 2020 Census and implore them to take it. Urging a movement behind the Census, she suggested that undercounts of the Black populace also result from a lack of understanding and participation from those communities.

“We have a lot of work to do,” she said. “And there is no one who can do this better than us.”

Undercounts have become equally crucial for the nation’s Latino population which, for a variety of reasons, is still subjected to inaccurate population counts (particularly as Census analysts grapple with whether to treat Latinos as a racial group or a language group). “The persistent undercount of the nation’s second largest population group is a civil rights issue,” said Arturo Vargas, executive director of the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials (NALEO) Educational Fund. “Unless we bring all Latinos out of the shadows and into the light in Census 2020, the Latino community will continue to have disproportionate access to fair political representation and public services. Congress must make the investments necessary today to ensure an accurate and cost-efficient count of Latinos tomorrow. Anything less would mean a failed Census 2020.”

Even the Census itself admitted to undercounts, including a 2.1 percent undercount of the Black population in 2010 compared to 1.8 percent in 2000 (although downplaying the significance of it). And the Bureau’s unwillingness to place the “Black alone-or-in-combination” category (which includes bi-racial Black people), along with controversies over how to count Black Diaspora migrants – such as those from the Caribbean – into the final official count prevented the final tally from being 15 percent instead of the 13 percent currently relied on.

http://www.phillytrib.com/news/unde...cle_d7aa9b42-2e74-535b-899b-10739bcec823.html

Last edited:
But if they do and fee strongly about being identified as exclusively Latino, THEY ARE NOT WRONG OR SELF HATING....they just have the luxury of claiming both or just one.
They shouldn't get offended if in America if someone calls them Black. Your self identity is one thing, but the way people see you is different. Vlad Guerrero can walk around saying he's a Latino all day, but it doesn't mean that American society won't see him as a black man. It's important to consider society's views too and not just individual identity because we live in a highly racialized society.

Last edited:
In so cal where I'm from there isn't much ethnic diversity amongst hispanics/latinos (predominantly Mexican and Central American), dark-skinned Latino dudes are often seen as Black dudes when they move to Cali. One of my homie Adrien is a dark skinned Dominican and he moved to Cali in middle school. He first tried kicking it with the Mexican cats because they share a similar language and culture, but the Mexican homies quickly reminded him that he was different because of his skin color. It's different on east coast and other places where ethnic diversity is a reality, but in other places some people can't tell the difference between an AA, Dominican, Cuban etc.

They shouldn't get offended if in America if someone calls them Black. Your self identity is one thing, but the way people see you is different. Vlad Guerrero can walk around saying he's a Latino all day, but it doesn't mean that American society won't see him as a black man. It's important to consider society's views too and not just individual identity because we live in a highly racialized society.

Not claimin the label "black" over their ethnic group, doesn't necessarily mean that they are offended when someone says they are black....that's an assumption lots of you are making, I don't even think NH is "offended" dude has just been very clear time and time again, he wants to be labeled as a LATINO.

I'm strongly Jamaican/West Indian but I'd be silly to deny or act offended by what I clearly am visibly. Your skin color isn't a culture, like it or not there is a layer self hate if you choose to separate from it. I understand though with the history of colonizers and slave master's telling folks you're inferior.

Yeah but if Guerrero personally says to someone that calls him black, "no sir I'm Actually Latino" that should be honored, specially in American society where we so easily accept the likes of Catelyn Jenner overnight....that boy NH has more of a claim than Bruce ever did :lol:

Back
Top Bottom