is French Montana AA But Not Black?

The changes to the census are needed. We will be able to examine disparities better. In the past Latinos who identified as White on the census often muddied up social scientific data because their data is recorded in the White section. Some scholars say Latino inclusion brings down the averages of white wealth stats, poverty numbers etc. Without latinos in white section disparities may be more alarming.
i told u bout that white & da same for da black category years ago.

The Census is flawed though. Doesn't count everyone and people often pick categories that don't represent them. It's just an estimate.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem which one you promote; nationality, ethnicity or race. I don't even care about people denying their race for another (for the most part). When you start denying a race and substituting it with an ethnicity, you just seem foolish because they're not the same thing.

"I'm not Black, I'm Jamacain" is as dumb as "I'm not American, I'm a male". Theses aren't mutually exclusive things.

I don't have a problem which one you promote; nationality, ethnicity or race. I don't even care about people denying their race for another (for the most part). When you start denying a race and substituting it with an ethnicity, you just seem foolish because they're not the same thing.

"I'm not Black, I'm Jamacain" is as dumb as "I'm not American, I'm a male". Theses aren't mutually exclusive things.
Exactly you can be Black and Latino at the same time.

The changes to the census are needed. We will be able to examine disparities better. In the past Latinos who identified as White on the census often muddied up social scientific data because their data is recorded in the White section. Some scholars say Latino inclusion brings down the averages of white wealth stats, poverty numbers etc. Without latinos in white section disparities may be more alarming.
I wonder what these disparities would look like if you separated white people apart like that? Say give Jewish people or Irish or Italian, etc. their own classification. Or Sub Saharan African, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong, but "Latino" refers to a cultural orientation, where "black" is really just a catch all for anyone who has certain physical characteristics, the same as "white".

Last edited:
Elaborate on how I'm wrong. I have a "black" father and a "Puerto Rican" mother. One parent is darker skinned and one is of the lighter variety. Am I not allowed to identify as a "black boricua" :nerd: [emoji]9994[/emoji][emoji]127997[/emoji] ? Am I wrong for that sir ?

You missed my point. So what's your race then? Black is not an ethnicity and Puerto Rican is not a race.

I wonder what these disparities would look like if you separated white people apart like that? Say give Jewish people or Irish or Italian, etc. their own classification. Or Sub Saharan African, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong, but "Latino" refers to a cultural orientation, where "black" is really just a catch all for anyone who has certain physical characteristics, the same as "white".
Yea

The Census is flawed though. Doesn't count everyone and people often pick categories that don't represent them. It's just an estimate.

so become a group that gets underrepresented in da census and see what happens to policies that would cater to particular group.... [emoji]9760[/emoji]️

Your mom looks like my titi. That's dope.

Carmelo has always said he's black and Puerto Rican. Some of y'all reaching real hard.

Last edited:
Soooo...race = black, ethnicity = aa/pr.

Back to my original point. For somebody to say half black half pr doesn't make sense cuz once again ethnicity =/= race.

Edit: it's OD technical and most won't bat an eye if you say it but that was the whole argument before a couple pages back. I didn't make this **** up

Last edited:
So those Black girls represent ALL black people? Find me a study that proves that Black Americans aren't inclusive. If you would read a damn book you would realize the historical background of the racial term BLack and why black folk often prefer the term Black over colored, AA etc. It's a more inclusive term to include our brothers and sisters around the globe. Scholars write about this stuff I'm not just making it up and it isn't based on anecdotal evidence like you've used.

I didn't say they represent all black people, just how NH doesn't represent all Latinos....what I'm saying is that NO racial group is free of being prejudice, plenty of times I've witnessed blacks isolate and exclude Latinos even if they are darker than them....simply because even though they share the same skin color, they are two completely different cultures, so is ok for a black Latino to be driven towards their Latin roots over their black skin.

I didn't say they represent all black people, just how NH doesn't represent all Latinos....what I'm saying is that NO racial group is free of being prejudice, plenty of times I've witnessed blacks isolate and exclude Latinos even if they are darker than them....simply because even though they share the same skin color, they are two completely different cultures, so is ok for a black Latino to be driven towards their Latin roots over their black skin.
I wouldn't blame black folk for self-hating latinos though. Colonialism def is at fault

Last edited:
Soooo...race = black, ethnicity = aa/pr.

Back to my original point. For somebody to say half black half pr doesn't make sense cuz once again ethnicity =/= race.

Edit: it's OD technical and most won't bat an eye if you say it but that was the whole argument before a couple pages back. I didn't make this **** up

Still people will claim "black and PR" or "black and Dominican" or even "black and Chinese" these are labels that have long become widely accepted, technically flawed but only on NT does this ever become an issue and ONLY when it has to do with NH....is literally the oldest most tired argument of this entire site.

I wouldn't blame black folk for self-hating latinos though. Colonialism def is at fault

You tried to make it seem like is all rainbows within the Black community and who they themselves consider to be black, is not that simple and is not an all around thing....I've seen it in school growing up, I've seen it in the hood and is most predominant for some reason amongst females, black American males from my experience are actually more inclusive or acceptant of black Latinos...black girls is a different story, from my experience, not saying it represent the whole community.

So it's ok for a black Latino, should they chose to identify as simply Latino, TO DO SO....is their right and they have a good claim for it.

Last edited:
We just get caught up in semantics and labels and refuse to find common ground, that's not being inclusive or acceptant AT ALL.

Back
Top Bottom