Is it just the Jordan mystique that makes him the "undisputed" GOAT?

Originally Posted by University of Nike

6 rings.
5x MVP.
14x All-Star.
6x Finals MVP.
DPOY
9x All-NBA Defensive Team
10 scoring titles.
Career regular season scoring average of 30.1 points.
Career playoff scoring average of 33.4 points.
5,987 career playoff points.

It's not the Jordan "mystique" that makes him the GOAT - what he did on the basketball court makes him the GOAT.

well said

Originally Posted by University of Nike

6 rings.
5x MVP.
14x All-Star.
6x Finals MVP.
DPOY
9x All-NBA Defensive Team
10 scoring titles.
Career regular season scoring average of 30.1 points.
Career playoff scoring average of 33.4 points.
5,987 career playoff points.

It's not the Jordan "mystique" that makes him the GOAT - what he did on the basketball court makes him the GOAT.

well said

As great and prolific as Kareem's resume is,

No, it still doesnt warrant a legitimate discussion as the GOAT in my opinion.

Not to sound nitpicky, but one could argue that he essentially went a full decade (80's), without even being the best player on his own team

Not to sound nitpicky, but one could argue that he essentially went a full decade (80's), without even being the best player on his own team

Originally Posted by MaxElite

Not at even a legitimate discussion huh? Care to explain that one...
For KAJ not to be the best player on his team in the 80's, he was still all NBA 1st team 3 times and 2nd team twice...he was no slouch, plus he was like 33 in 1980 so probably just passing his prime. Not to mention the only guy you can say that was better than him was Magic, and  I feel like he is also in the discussion for the greatest of all time. 

For KAJ not to be the best player on his team in the 80's, he was still all NBA 1st team 3 times and 2nd team twice...he was no slouch, plus he was like 33 in 1980 so probably just passing his prime. Not to mention the only guy you can say that was better than him was Magic, and  I feel like he is also in the discussion for the greatest of all time. 

Heres the thing...Even if there was somebody that was better than Jordan, NO BODY will say it, because they all act as if Jordan is there Ex Girl friend, and just wont let him GO!
Jordan no matter what will always be the best in the people's EYES because they want him to be the best FOREVER! So even if there is a player that gets 10 rings with better stats than Jordan, because his shoes wont sell as much as Jordan's they will not see him as the best...LOL

Heres the thing...Even if there was somebody that was better than Jordan, NO BODY will say it, because they all act as if Jordan is there Ex Girl friend, and just wont let him GO!
Jordan no matter what will always be the best in the people's EYES because they want him to be the best FOREVER! So even if there is a player that gets 10 rings with better stats than Jordan, because his shoes wont sell as much as Jordan's they will not see him as the best...LOL

10 year old kids right now don't give a +$%! about MJ. It will take decades. But eventually can easily happen

10 year old kids right now don't give a +$%! about MJ. It will take decades. But eventually can easily happen

watching jordan take maybe over 100 clutch shots throughout the 90's live is something no one wil be able to replicate...

son would take over games at will...

IM a knicks fan to the grave but jordan made you feel like your team wouldnt win just because he suited up... one man changed the rules of the game to what its is now. imagine if MJ was playing today with these no hand check rules... it'll would be unfair.

3 reasons why MJ is the greatest

1. his first step is QUICKER than lebrons
2.his fadeaway is beter than kobe's .... DIRK MIGHT HAVE HIM BEAT AFTER THIS SERIES
3. HE AVG 22 PTS AT 40 YRS OLD

puts on flame suit

watching jordan take maybe over 100 clutch shots throughout the 90's live is something no one wil be able to replicate...

IM a knicks fan to the grave but jordan made you feel like your team wouldnt win just because he suited up... one man changed the rules of the game to what its is now. imagine if MJ was playing today with these no hand check rules... it'll would be unfair.

2.his fadeaway is beter than kobe's .... DIRK MIGHT HAVE HIM BEAT AFTER THIS SERIES

puts on flame suit

Originally Posted by devildog1776

puts on flame suit
Is this post meant to be taken seriously?

Originally Posted by devildog1776

puts on flame suit
Is this post meant to be taken seriously?

Originally Posted by grittyman20

I never said he was a slouch, I just don't think his accomplishments/resume are enough to make a valid argument with. That's all. 4 out of his 5 rings with LA, he was basically the Robin to Magic's Batman on those teams. He was probably the greatest Robin of all time
laugh.gif
but still. Jordan was always the guy.

Maybe his personality plays a part in why ppl seem to slight him or overlook him. But even so, the resumes speak for themselves.

Originally Posted by grittyman20

I never said he was a slouch, I just don't think his accomplishments/resume are enough to make a valid argument with. That's all. 4 out of his 5 rings with LA, he was basically the Robin to Magic's Batman on those teams. He was probably the greatest Robin of all time
laugh.gif
but still. Jordan was always the guy.

Maybe his personality plays a part in why ppl seem to slight him or overlook him. But even so, the resumes speak for themselves.

Then you have to add the fact that he sat out for 2 yrs when he was in his prime, playing an entirely different sport, only to come back and dominate like he never ever left. Winning 3 more championships 2 more MVP's, making 3 straight 1st team All NBA & All Defense while leading the league in scoring each of those next 3 years... When you look at all of his accomplishments it puts him in another realm but then when you look at how he accomplished them it just puts them in an entirely different perspective.

Then you have to add the fact that he sat out for 2 yrs when he was in his prime, playing an entirely different sport, only to come back and dominate like he never ever left. Winning 3 more championships 2 more MVP's, making 3 straight 1st team All NBA & All Defense while leading the league in scoring each of those next 3 years... When you look at all of his accomplishments it puts him in another realm but then when you look at how he accomplished them it just puts them in an entirely different perspective.

Originally Posted by Gottips3

I don't know what's more sad, the fact that you actually believe this or the fact that you took the time to post it and share it with the rest of us. 

I don't know what's more sad, the fact that you actually believe this or the fact that you took the time to post it and share it with the rest of us. 

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

He was actually suspended from the NBA because of gambling. He retired as a "cover up" to keep his image ....Thats the story. Why anybody would retire at there PRIME is beyond me.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

He was actually suspended from the NBA because of gambling. He retired as a "cover up" to keep his image ....Thats the story. Why anybody would retire at there PRIME is beyond me.

He wasn't suspended from the NBA, quit trying to pawn that rumor off as fact. 

He wasn't suspended from the NBA, quit trying to pawn that rumor off as fact. 

one of my favorite Jordan stats is that he has the highest career PPG of ALL TIME. #1. a lot of people assume its Wilt or Kareem.

Jordan was just killing from the moment he stepped on the basketball court til the end. even on the Wizards he dropped 50. he never faltered in the Finals not once, never did anything to show that maybe he was human.

you just cant get any better at basketball.

Back
Top Bottom