Is it just the Jordan mystique that makes him the "undisputed" GOAT?

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Originally Posted by luxurious24

Michael Jordan is considered the G.O.A.T for the same reason Biggie and Tupac are described as such, he brought basketball to another level, basketball was #1 all ova the world, all because of 1 man. He changed the game, both on and off the court. No one can ever have a greater effect or even the same effect on the game like he did.
Off the court means nothing in this discussion. Allen Iverson had a bigger impact "off the court" than Shaq but that doesn't make him a better player now does it?

This is TRUE!..Allen iverson had a BIG impact off the court

Originally Posted by luxurious24

Michael Jordan is considered the G.O.A.T for the same reason Biggie and Tupac are described as such, he brought basketball to another level, basketball was #1 all ova the world, all because of 1 man. He changed the game, both on and off the court. No one can ever have a greater effect or even the same effect on the game like he did.
Off the court means nothing in this discussion. Allen Iverson had a bigger impact "off the court" than Shaq but that doesn't make him a better player now does it?

This is TRUE!..Allen iverson had a BIG impact off the court

You guys do understand that the fact that you go look up stats and accolades about Jordan, compare them to the stats and accolades that I posted of Kareem and we can actually have dialogue about different categories like MVPs, scoring titles, etc makes this a discussion right? I'm not saying anything strictly opinion based...so it's not a stretch of the imagination to see why some people don't think that Jordan is in a category by himself.

You're looking at KAJ's accolades based off of a 20yr career in which he played damn near the full season every single year... Mike missed damn near an entire season with a broken foot his 2nd yr in then sat out 2 yrs of his prime and yet he only finished 6k in points behind him.  Only during his wizard stints did Mike not score over 2200 points in a season... so had he not missed that time and played straight through he would've surpassed KAJ career scoring record by over 1,000 5yrs earlier.

I mean we're comparing a 20yr body of work to 15yrs and its neck & neck... Then when you look at the fact that during that 15span he sat out 2yrs of his prime, had a season in which he only played 17 games total... A lot of records would still have his name on them if it wasn't for him letting people live in 94 & 95... Not to mention when he left in 98 he was still averaging 30... he didn't retire because he couldn't dominate, let alone play anymore he just gracefully bowed out. 
laugh.gif

You guys do understand that the fact that you go look up stats and accolades about Jordan, compare them to the stats and accolades that I posted of Kareem and we can actually have dialogue about different categories like MVPs, scoring titles, etc makes this a discussion right? I'm not saying anything strictly opinion based...so it's not a stretch of the imagination to see why some people don't think that Jordan is in a category by himself.

You're looking at KAJ's accolades based off of a 20yr career in which he played damn near the full season every single year... Mike missed damn near an entire season with a broken foot his 2nd yr in then sat out 2 yrs of his prime and yet he only finished 6k in points behind him.  Only during his wizard stints did Mike not score over 2200 points in a season... so had he not missed that time and played straight through he would've surpassed KAJ career scoring record by over 1,000 5yrs earlier.

I mean we're comparing a 20yr body of work to 15yrs and its neck & neck... Then when you look at the fact that during that 15span he sat out 2yrs of his prime, had a season in which he only played 17 games total... A lot of records would still have his name on them if it wasn't for him letting people live in 94 & 95... Not to mention when he left in 98 he was still averaging 30... he didn't retire because he couldn't dominate, let alone play anymore he just gracefully bowed out. 
laugh.gif

All the playoff recoeds are like Favre's records, you dont think Lebron will break all them in time, except PPG in playoffs... Im just gonna say im born and raised chicago and i remember him being a ballhog and not letting us see pippens true talents until Jordan went to play Baseball then if you recall Pippen was in the MVP running and the Bulls made the playoffs as a good seed and came a BAD CALL against the Knicks from being in the Finals with PETE MYERS as 2 guard, not DREXLER, NOT MILLER, PETE MYERS... So would everyone please stop acting like HE WAS THE TEAM he wasnt, 4 of the best 3 point shooters EVER in B.J. Paxson Kerr and Hodges, PIPPEN RODMAN KUKOCH, Plus the talent was better then? are u serious?? There was no D Rose when jordan played no Lebron and a young SHAQ, Bird retired Magic old and fat, Jordan played the CAVS 2 times in the eastern conference finals and there best player was EHLO and DAUGHERTY?? GARBAGE When lebron has had to go thru Boston with 4 HOF's Detroit who went to 5 str8 EC finals, 3 HOF's in the Finals against Spurs plus noone from Jordans era got rings except HAKEEM, Malone Stockton Miller Barkley, Peyton, all played about 20 year careers and Jordan won six so i would imagine if they were as GREAT as everyone claims they could have won a ring in the other 14 years that Jordan didnt... its purely this wack mystique that everyone treats like rappers when it comes to snitchin and they just wont say anyone is better, i heard Mike Greenberg say aand i quote "I dont care if Lebron or anybody wins 12 str8 rings i just cant picture myself saying ANYONE is better then MJ" thats just lame and its because he used to cover the bulls.... but thats typical MJ fan

All the playoff recoeds are like Favre's records, you dont think Lebron will break all them in time, except PPG in playoffs... Im just gonna say im born and raised chicago and i remember him being a ballhog and not letting us see pippens true talents until Jordan went to play Baseball then if you recall Pippen was in the MVP running and the Bulls made the playoffs as a good seed and came a BAD CALL against the Knicks from being in the Finals with PETE MYERS as 2 guard, not DREXLER, NOT MILLER, PETE MYERS... So would everyone please stop acting like HE WAS THE TEAM he wasnt, 4 of the best 3 point shooters EVER in B.J. Paxson Kerr and Hodges, PIPPEN RODMAN KUKOCH, Plus the talent was better then? are u serious?? There was no D Rose when jordan played no Lebron and a young SHAQ, Bird retired Magic old and fat, Jordan played the CAVS 2 times in the eastern conference finals and there best player was EHLO and DAUGHERTY?? GARBAGE When lebron has had to go thru Boston with 4 HOF's Detroit who went to 5 str8 EC finals, 3 HOF's in the Finals against Spurs plus noone from Jordans era got rings except HAKEEM, Malone Stockton Miller Barkley, Peyton, all played about 20 year careers and Jordan won six so i would imagine if they were as GREAT as everyone claims they could have won a ring in the other 14 years that Jordan didnt... its purely this wack mystique that everyone treats like rappers when it comes to snitchin and they just wont say anyone is better, i heard Mike Greenberg say aand i quote "I dont care if Lebron or anybody wins 12 str8 rings i just cant picture myself saying ANYONE is better then MJ" thats just lame and its because he used to cover the bulls.... but thats typical MJ fan

The Jordan mystique doesn't make him the goat. It just keeps people from rationally considering anyone else.

The Jordan mystique doesn't make him the goat. It just keeps people from rationally considering anyone else.

So based on Jordan's accomplishments, let's look at Kareem's...
[table][tr][th=""]Career highlights and awards[/th][/tr][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table]

I can see why some people feel as if KAJ is the greatest of all time as well, his accomplishments are just as impressive.

longevity doesn't = better player

If Player A was THE best player in the league for 10 years and Player B was in the top 10 for 15 years, which one is a better player?

So based on Jordan's accomplishments, let's look at Kareem's...
[table][tr][th=""]Career highlights and awards[/th][/tr][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table]

I can see why some people feel as if KAJ is the greatest of all time as well, his accomplishments are just as impressive.

longevity doesn't = better player

If Player A was THE best player in the league for 10 years and Player B was in the top 10 for 15 years, which one is a better player?

Originally Posted by daiernchef

So would everyone please stop acting like HE WAS THE TEAM he wasnt, 4 of the best 3 point shooters EVER in B.J. Paxson Kerr and Hodges,

Oh. Really.
laugh.gif

So would everyone please stop acting like HE WAS THE TEAM he wasnt, 4 of the best 3 point shooters EVER in B.J. Paxson Kerr and Hodges,

Oh. Really.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

grittyman20 wrote:

laugh.gif

Exactly. You can't look at pure stats because a lot of the career stats can be attributed to longevity, which is definitely a plus but it doesn't make someone a better player. Jordan was arguably THE best player in the NBA for the VAST majority of his career (excluding his wizard days). Probably from his 3rd season until his last game with the Bulls.

If Kobe plays long enough, he may very well overtake Jordan in career points. Does that make him better?

grittyman20 wrote:

laugh.gif

Exactly. You can't look at pure stats because a lot of the career stats can be attributed to longevity, which is definitely a plus but it doesn't make someone a better player. Jordan was arguably THE best player in the NBA for the VAST majority of his career (excluding his wizard days). Probably from his 3rd season until his last game with the Bulls.

If Kobe plays long enough, he may very well overtake Jordan in career points. Does that make him better?

Born and raised in Chicago but a Patriots fan?

Oh. Really.
laugh.gif
YUP really stop tryin to be funny and go look it up BJ armstrong is in the top 10 best 3 point shooters ever percentage wise, so why not try and look some stuff up and not Make BIG words tryin to be funny, Step up your Chicago Bulls Knowledge....

Oh. Really.
laugh.gif
YUP really stop tryin to be funny and go look it up BJ armstrong is in the top 10 best 3 point shooters ever percentage wise, so why not try and look some stuff up and not Make BIG words tryin to be funny, Step up your Chicago Bulls Knowledge....

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Actually a Tom Brady fan sorry if thats against your rules of "from chicago i should like jim mcmahon" and whats that got to do with what i said? Grow up and get some valid points man is everyone 12 on here??

Back
Top Bottom