Is it possible to live on 44k a year in LA? (The LA THREAD!...City Living, Girls and Social Scene).

I might be working in Pasadena next year but want to live in a younger/hipper place (I'm 22, about to graduate from college), so I'm thinking Venice or Santa Monica at the moment. Do you guys think the commute would be too much of a *****? My hours are most likely going to be around 8am-8pm, so I'm thinking the traffic at night won't be an issue, but I'd like thoughts on the morning. Thanks.

If there are areas for yuppies on the east side of LA, I'd love to hear some recommendations. From what I've seen, Pasadena's a little too suburban for me though.

Last edited:

I might be working in Pasadena next year but want to live in a younger/hipper place (I'm 22, about to graduate from college), so I'm thinking Venice or Santa Monica at the moment. Do you guys think the commute would be too much of a *****? My hours are most likely going to be around 8am-8pm, so I'm thinking the traffic at night won't be an issue, but I'd like thoughts on the morning. Thanks.
Marina Del Ray, Baldwin Hills or the borders of Inglewood (if money is tight) ...20-30 mins from Pasadena, Pasadena is boring. 

K-town is cheap, but not as safe. MS-13 territory.

Had some friends paying 900-1500 for Studios, up to 2 BD.. 

Helicopters all night, and the crime rate is higher the closer you get to Downtown.

Great AREA FOR Korean BBQ though!!
I like the way this thread is developing! i see potential ....Great inside in whats going on in LA and the social scene.

K-town? is MS13 wow! no Korean thugs didn't know that

Marina Del Ray, Baldwin Hills or the borders of Inglewood (if money is tight) ...20-30 mins from Pasadena, Pasadena is boring. 
even old town pasadena. HONESTLY i need somewhere there people my age, safe, females and social scene to network

If there are areas for yuppies on the east side of LA, I'd love to hear some recommendations. From what I've seen, Pasadena's a little too suburban for me though.
if you dont mind me asking what job are you doing that's 8am-8pm? and your not moving back home to your parents house after college

even old town pasadena. HONESTLY i need somewhere there people my age, safe, females and social scene to network
Bruh ...Ktown or West Hollywood it's your best bet. $1100 month, few parking garages, decent parking, close to everything. Females will respect it...some spots you can even see the Hollywood sign from. I'd check Craigslist for Ktown or West Hollywood. If you can sublet for 6months and stack your money and buy your furniture for the apartment you really want.

The 10 East actually isn't bad in the morning but the 110 looks bad when I pass by it. Its like 25+ miles to Pasadena from the Westside. You're not going to want to do that

Maybe look into Echo Park? I don't know much about the area but maybe other posters could chime in.

I personally don't know

West Hollywood, is the safest part of LA by far! Just dont get a gym membership over there =]

The 10 East actually isn't bad in the morning but the 110 looks bad when I pass by it. Its like 25+ miles to Pasadena from the Westside. You're not going to want to do that

Maybe look into Echo Park? I don't know much about the area but maybe other posters could chime in.

I personally don't know
Echo Park, And Silver Lake Are the Hipster areas, definitely can find something cheap and affordable. Not the safest at night but if your not looking for trouble it usually wont find you. Also Ms13 territory " East Hollywood, Ktown, SilverLake, Echo Park"

if you dont mind me asking what job are you doing that's 8am-8pm? and your not moving back home to your parents house after college
Buyside finance (asset management, hedge fund, fixed income, etc.)

The 8am-8pm was a guesstimate; I purposely bypassed ibanking to escape the hours, but I realize I'm going to have to put in work as a junior person in any finance-related role if I want to climb the ladder.

And nah, my folks are in Orange County. Waaaaaay too boring
laugh.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Although I grew up in the OC, I don't know **** about LA and haven't lived in Cali for the past four years.

Last edited:

Echo Park, And Silver Lake Are the Hipster areas, definitely can find something cheap and affordable. Not the safest at night but if your not looking for trouble it usually wont find you. Also Ms13 territory " East Hollywood, Ktown, SilverLake, Echo Park"
Maybe this was true 2008-2009 ...

The 8am-8pm was a guesstimate; I purposely bypassed ibanking to escape the hours, but I realize I'm going to have to put in work as a junior person in any finance-related role if I want to climb the ladder.

laugh.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Although I grew up in the OC, I don't know **** about LA and haven't lived in Cali for the past four years.
 one thing u should know is Traffic is a biiiiiiiiitch

i try to Avoid Freeways from 4-7,  unless i really have to drive.

Took me 2 hours to go 2.7miles one time. Then you have days where the lanes are open and you can go from Long Beach to the Valley in 30 minutes.

44K in LA?? To live comfortably? Better slang them thangs and trap like a fool on the side

One time I got stuck in Santa Monica traffic (not freeway) for a few hours. I saw a gas station on the cornerstore. Had to bully my way over there to it. I filled up my tank and took a 45 minute deuce -- and not a single car had moved. I then took alleys all the way out of there and it didn't take much time at all. 8)

Last edited:
where do you NTers who say you can't live in LA on 44k live?

And 2008? Gangs are still a fixture in Los Angeles. Not as gaudy as before, but their presence is still felt in certain areas.

Silverlake/Echo Park is hipsterville...rent has gone up because despite the surrounding neighborhoods it has great food spots and a few good lounge/bar/clubs.

I wouldn't recommend KTown, you'll be renting in buildings with paisas who have a family of 8 living in a studio. The nice spots are $1200+ for a 1 bd.

West Adams (were I stay) is a good area too. Just don't go past Adams on Normandie...it gets bad the further south you go.

Gardena is nice and inexpensive....If you get the good part of Compton, it's a nice place to live too. 

Live the nearest to your job. My girl works in Brentwood and it takes her 30 minutes to get from Bundy and Wilshire to the on ramp.

laugh.gif

DTF is always cracking ..i always thought  the OC had the baddest Asian girls. ....But...ay.. this inst the thread to talk about my love for Asian women
laugh.gif
. So you never went outside your city?

Bruh ...Ktown or West Hollywood it's your best bet. $1100 month, few parking garages, decent parking, close to everything. Females will respect it...some spots you can even see the Hollywood sign from. I'd check Craigslist for Ktown or West Hollywood. If you can sublet for 6months and stack your money and buy your furniture for the apartment you really want.
Not at those prices. might need a roommate. just checked on Craigslist and nothing in my price range.

SECOND THAT!...point of working ..if i aint getting no play
mean.gif
..everything dudes do is for females. ...lets face it
Dudes forget the fundamentals of existence ...can't take nothing with you when you go, might as well have the companion you want for the ride.

Me personally, I put the yambs on the side. I still have my 30's to easily impress women -- especially in LA or Cali in general.

Back
Top Bottom