Is it possible to live on 44k a year in LA? (The LA THREAD!...City Living, Girls and Social Scene).

Pretty solid but you'll probably spend more on food and alcohol (going out). Don't forget cabs. If you're gonna be pregaming then you won't be driving. I use lyft/uber/side car which are cheaper than taxis but still add up

Hit up Costco and you can get 1.75L of stuff like Ketel and Maker's for under 40. Don't need a card if you're only buying liquor.
How much would a car ride from the west side (Venice/SM) to east side (Pasadena) cost?

That's going to be expensive.

It's $2/mi over 11mph, $2/min under 11mph, with a $2 base rate.

Fresh out of college and still on the college mind set. You all have good points but here is what i am planning to do

44ka year is about $3,400 a month

$1000 for rent ( a cheap but safe area in LA or LA county ) THIS CAN BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE IF I FIND A GOOD PLACE
$100 Gas/water etc
$ 80 Internet ( no cable its called NETFLIX PEOPLE! )
$ 80-100 ( i workout a lot and i prepare my food ahead mostly every Sunday for the week.) I don't eat junk food and eat clean so that saves A LOT OF MONEY!. When i do eat out its sushi, Korean BBQ or some kind of ASIAN FOOD and maybe in N Out.)  I am pretty much consistent been doing since college. Might be boring to so people but i like it.
$40 on Alcohol A HANDLE will do. I do drink a Lot.
$150 for car insurance No car note! Car is paid off
$100 for gas a month. My car is good on gas.

I have $1,930 of the month! I'm i missing anything?

ALSO I WILL BE SAVING UP FOR 8 MONTHS AT HOME SO I WILL HAVE TIME TO PAY OFF STUDENT LOANS AND SAVE.

ALSO I HAVE EVERYTHING I NEED TO MOVE OUT FROM COLLEGE ALL I NEED IS A COUCH, BED AND DECORATIONS

Sounds like you have a plan there and a budget. I and most people thought you meant $44K before taxes and deductions. In that case the question is can you live off of like $60K(or $44K after tax) in LA?

Last edited:
Fresh out of college and still on the college mind set. You all have good points but here is what i am planning to do

44ka year is about $3,400 a month

$1000 for rent ( a cheap but safe area in LA or LA county ) THIS CAN BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE IF I FIND A GOOD PLACE
$100 Gas/water etc
$ 80 Internet ( no cable its called NETFLIX PEOPLE! )
$ 80-100 ( i workout a lot and i prepare my food ahead mostly every Sunday for the week.) I don't eat junk food and eat clean so that saves A LOT OF MONEY!. When i do eat out its sushi, Korean BBQ or some kind of ASIAN FOOD and maybe in N Out.)  I am pretty much consistent been doing since college. Might be boring to so people but i like it.
$40 on Alcohol A HANDLE will do. I do drink a Lot.
$150 for car insurance No car note! Car is paid off
$100 for gas a month. My car is good on gas.

I have $1,930 of the month! I'm i missing anything?

ALSO I WILL BE SAVING UP FOR 8 MONTHS AT HOME SO I WILL HAVE TIME TO PAY OFF STUDENT LOANS AND SAVE.

ALSO I HAVE EVERYTHING I NEED TO MOVE OUT FROM COLLEGE ALL I NEED IS A COUCH, BED AND DECORATIONS

Tack on 25% for misc things that you can't think of right now.

I would never ever do a car ride that far.

Spots in SM are only 5-6 miles away and the rides cost about 15 so 30 round trip for somewhere that's not far

Meh, totally overrated.

Mortons>BOA>Ruth Chris>Sizzler>Mastros.

Thats straight trollin right there if you put Sizzler ahead.

I wasn't impressed with Morton's either.

Mastros or Ruth still tops for me. Haven't been to BOA but heard its alright. LA Prime is just ok, STK is pretty good, and CUT is nice as well. Also Craft is nice.

Meh, totally overrated.

Mortons>BOA>Ruth Chris>Sizzler>Mastros.

Mastros or Ruth still tops for me. Haven't been to BOA but heard its alright. LA Prime is just ok, STK is pretty good, and CUT is nice as well. Also Craft is nice.

Ignore him, dude's just salty because I made a joke about him having to eat top ramen for a couple weeks to afford a night out with his boys outside of happy hour :lol:

Last edited:

It was a joke cause for what I paid at Mastros...it was garbage.

Flemings is great too. That lobster mac n cheese is bomb. 

i love how some dudes that clearly aint been employed before breaking down how you can live off 44k and not factoring uncle sam... talmbout "yeah you can def live off 44k" :smh:

i love how some dudes that clearly aint been employed before breaking down how you can live off 44k and not factoring uncle sam... talmbout "yeah you can def live off 44k" :smh:

So if you can't live off of 44K you never worked before? You know how idiotic you sound? I love how some dudes didn't read what OP said and 44K is after taxes. Thanks for the contribution smart guy

So if you can't live off of 44K you never worked before? You know how idiotic you sound? I love how some dudes didn't read what OP said and 44K is after taxes. Thanks for the contribution smart guy

So you expect for me to assume hes getting 44k net pay based off his OP? where he states his "company is paying him 44k"

that was directed at dudes that auto-assumed 44k was his net pay, so maybe there's a reason you getting defensive? sorry for not reading every single post in here to figure out if it was his gross or net, but i still appreciate your contribution smart guy. any reasonable human being wouldve assumed its his gross based on the fact that he hasnt started yet and probably wouldnt give us such an exact salary such as 44k if he was ballparking his net pay based on his gross pay. for starters, he cant even get such an exact amount based off his gross salary without definitive answers to things such as martial status, W4 withholdings on the federal and state level, etc...

View media item 660243

talking about 1400? :lol:

naw... a little over 1200...

not including 401k, , any other fees the company will take out...

:rofl:... yall trying to have this dude struggling in LA... hahaha.

and to live like you would here in Dallas on 44k...

View media item 660283

Last edited:
talking about 1400?
laugh.gif

naw... a little over 1200...

not including 401k, , any other fees the company will take out...

roll.gif
... yall trying to have this dude struggling in LA... hahaha.

and to live like you would here in Dallas on 44k...
SO i cant live off 44k a year? ' I heard about Texas men...i heard it was a great place to start

Last edited:
SO i cant live off 44k a year? ' I heard about Texas men...i heard it was a great place to start

bruh, it CAN be done...but it WILL be difficult...
i suggest saving at least 3-6 months of expenses in an emergency account for rainy days...
44k annual salary is i think 25% tax bracket
you have to also factor in other contributions...do you plan on contributing to a 401 k? how about a roth IRA? future goals? house, car, etc?
like i said, it COULD be done if you live minimally and budget

I, personally would still live at home with the fam if i made 44k/year....BUT THATS ME, everyone is different

i also am very frugal. i barely buy clothes, i only buy sneakers really and i spend alot on eating out, i put about 1200-1600 a month into my 401k, 5000/year into a roth IRA, and put 200/month on my lil brothers books in prison...
i also have a newborn son, and i plan on putting 100/month or so into a 529 plan for him, i also buy him lots of sneakers also basically matching shoes with me
i do have a car payment also....but yeah basically im trying to say income doesnt stretch very far in LA or socal in generally

but it can be done! you'll know if youre handling it or not

bruh, it CAN be done...but it WILL be difficult...
i suggest saving at least 3-6 months of expenses in an emergency account for rainy days...
44k annual salary is i think 25% tax bracket
you have to also factor in other contributions...do you plan on contributing to a 401 k? how about a roth IRA? future goals? house, car, etc?
like i said, it COULD be done if you live minimally and budget

I, personally would still live at home with the fam if i made 44k/year....BUT THATS ME, everyone is different

i also am very frugal. i barely buy clothes, i only buy sneakers really and i spend alot on eating out, i put about 1200-1600 a month into my 401k, 5000/year into a roth IRA, and put 200/month on my lil brothers books in prison...
i also have a newborn son, and i plan on putting 100/month or so into a 529 plan for him, i also buy him lots of sneakers also basically matching shoes with me
i do have a car payment also....but yeah basically im trying to say income doesnt stretch very far in LA or socal in generally

but it can be done! you'll know if youre handling it or not

Man... I respect you so much for putting in that much for your 401K. Not a lot of people can do that so props.

With your income you can survive in Long Beach. Get you a small apartment around 4th and Cherry that way you are a short distant from downtown and 2nd street. A bunch of bars within that area. Those bars holds all kinds of ppl. You can walk into a bar and be surrounded by Bros,Brothas,Asians,Mexicans,rockers,hipsters and the occasional 50 yr old that won't let go of his youth. The beach is right there so you can take advantage of the run/bike trail. They even hold free yoga classes on the bluff that got some fly *** white girls. A tip... go to 2nd street bars on OFF days (Mon,Wed,Thurs)

youCAN do it...

But cats in here making it seem like its a walk in the park when it most certainly will not be...

You gonna wash clothes? Does it come with washer and dryer? Prolly not. So you have to figure in laundry bill. That includes buying detergent.

Toothpaste and soap? Haircuts? Taking clothes to the cleaners for work? Yamb wanna grab some food? You want to cruise around LA for an afternoon? You get a driving ticket?

You buy groceries and cook some horrible food? You eat out because you're tired from work? There's a potluck at your job? Gotta get some tags or inspection stickers? Gym membership?

These little expenses pop up REGULARLY... And they add up.

It can be done... But like homey said... Chill at the crib and stack your paper... Or find a 2 bedroom. For a similar price and split rent with your boy...

44k in Dallas is cool... But I've visited LA... The prices for EVERY THING is higher and that adds up .

^ this man knows

My homegirl got a dope studio ON Ocean blvd for like 700 . Literally a block away from the train and bars. That might be my move if I decide against a house and get a new car instead.

^ this man knows

My homegirl got a dope studio ON Ocean blvd for like 700 . Literally a block away from the train and bars. That might be my move if I decide against a house and get a new car instead.
Ocean blvd in LB? what apartment? could you find more info PM me

youCAN do it...

But cats in here making it seem like its a walk in the park when it most certainly will not be...

You gonna wash clothes? Does it come with washer and dryer? Prolly not. So you have to figure in laundry bill. That includes buying detergent.

Toothpaste and soap? Haircuts? Taking clothes to the cleaners for work? Yamb wanna grab some food? You want to cruise around LA for an afternoon? You get a driving ticket?

You buy groceries and cook some horrible food? You eat out because you're tired from work? There's a potluck at your job? Gotta get some tags or inspection stickers? Gym membership?

These little expenses pop up REGULARLY... And they add up.

It can be done... But like homey said... Chill at the crib and stack your paper... Or find a 2 bedroom. For a similar price and split rent with your boy...

44k in Dallas is cool... But I've visited LA... The prices for EVERY THING is higher and that adds up .
I cut my own hair
laugh.gif

With your income you can survive in Long Beach. Get you a small apartment around 4th and Cherry that way you are a short distant from downtown and 2nd street. A bunch of bars within that area. Those bars holds all kinds of ppl. You can walk into a bar and be surrounded by Bros,Brothas,Asians,Mexicans,rockers,hipsters and the occasional 50 yr old that won't let go of his youth. The beach is right there so you can take advantage of the run/bike trail. They even hold free yoga classes on the bluff that got some fly *** white girls. A tip... go to 2nd street bars on OFF days (Mon,Wed,Thurs)
i love LB thats the area I am targeting. And advice

Back
Top Bottom