Is it safe to say Breaking Bad > The Wire?

Both are great, personally I think BB is better written but The Wire seems more real...

Seriously though, there's no definitive answer because they're so different. It's like asking if Deion Sanders was better than Barry Sanders. These shows are two of the greatest dramas of all time and are on the Mount Rushmore with The Sopranos and Mad Men. It's all just a matter of personal preference and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Both shows tell stories and we have yet to see the end of Breaking Bad's story. Yet some people who have seen The Wire in it's entirety still say that BB is the better show. How does that NOT speak well on Breaking Bad?
You stating that the characters on BB are unlikable is a much more flawed point because you're insinuating that it's not intentional on the part of the writers. Walter White has been in the process of transforming into a power hungry "bad guy" since the beginning. It's the ENTIRE premise of the show. That's why it's called Breaking Bad after all.

Just because a couple of people say Breaking Bad is better during its first run is a moot point. People say that Kobe is better than Jordan. Because he is still active while people are making the comparison does that mean he is better than MJ? The answer is no

I also am fully aware of the premise of the show. Walter is evolving into someone "bad"... but that's not my gripe with the show. I like the fact he is "Breaking Bad." My gripe lies in the fact that the characters are not likeable becasue their motivations for being "bad" are superficial. They don't make sense and in most cases appear unrealistic. They show requires a lot of suspension of belief for it to stay together and keep the story going. We're supposed to BELIEVE someone who is willing to put his life, reputation, and family on the line to sell drugs wont accept money from a multimillionaire because he doesn't accept "charity" or feels emotional about a lost love.

As I previously said, one of The Wire's strengths lies in the fact that viewers of the show felt empathetic for the baddest of guys. The writers of the show made a homosexual sociopath likeable becasue you as a viewer understood the motives behind his actions. And to say that the writer's intent on [COLOR=#red]Breaking Bad[/COLOR] was to create unlikeable characters who are unlikeable is asinine. Its obvious they want viewers to root for the bad guy.

[COLOR=#red]Breaking Bad[/COLOR] is a character driven show and relies on viewers to feel some sort of connection to the characters. I don't feel any connection to the characters like I did with The Wire, but the show is still entertaining and does a great job at story telling.

I cried a thousand tears for my dude Bodie... :smh:

I suppose this is where we're different because I don't necessarily see realism as the pinnacle of entertainment value.

The idea of a mild-mannered chemistry teacher becoming a drug lord is an unbelievable concept in itself. The idea of someone being too prideful to accept charity, regardless of their current situation, is a bit more realistic.

Either way, I respect your opinion and I'm glad that you provided me with some reasoning.

No love for Sons of Anarchy though? :smh:

The Wire >Game of Thrones>SOA>Breaking Bad>Dexter

That is my order of the best TV series in the past 10yrs. The battle between SOA and BB is pretty close though. Just started watching Revenge and that show is pretty good too...

Anyone that says mad men is even close to these shows are of the white skin kin ...

Ain't no way in THE HELL that show is even in the discussion.

The wire, breaking bad, and sopranos are on a different level.

Anyone that says mad men is even close to these shows are of the white skin kin ...

Ain't no way in THE HELL that show is even in the discussion.

The wire, breaking bad, and sopranos are on a different level.
What's the point of bringing in race into this discussion? If someone wanted to make an argument for Mad Men, it's not that far-fetched at all.
No love for Sons of Anarchy though? 
mean.gif

The Wire >Game of Thrones>SOA>Breaking Bad>Dexter

That is my order of the best TV series in the past 10yrs. The battle between SOA and BB is pretty close though. Just started watching Revenge and that show is pretty good too...

As a SOA stan.....I don't see SOA being better than the BB.

I will def. say it's the #2 show out now behind BB and in front of the walking dead.

But I have to mention that sons is still early in its run I guess. There have been some episodes that just dragged and did nothing unlike BB which IMO hasn't had any.

The one plus I see with Breaking Bad is visually, the shots and angels they shoot are AMAZING.

Let me start off by saying that I've seen the Wire in it's entirety and am currently the middle of season 4 of Breaking Bad. To answer the original question, the answer is no and its not even close. Most of the time I would address a question like this as a matter of opinion, but in this case I just can't.
The Wire is close to perfect when it comes to character development and plot. Like someone already has said, the show was solely plot driven and allowed the writers ultimate freedom. There was absolutely no allegiance to character and ultimately the strength of The Wire is that you NEVER knew what was going to happen. Even the most popular character could die at any moment. So when a character ended up dead it felt as if someone you knew had died. You genuinely cared for the characters. Add on the fact that every season added a whole new dimension to the same overall plot.
[COLOR=#red]Breaking Bad [/COLOR]seems a bit shallow to me in terms of character motivation and direction. I felt the first couple of seasons of Breaking Bad didn't do a good job demonstrating how Walter White would be "forced" into a life a crime.
From my understanding the show's main theme is that Walter White would sacrifice and do anything for his family. So he ultimately decided to cook to provide for his family at all costs. Sounds good enough , but the show lost me when it was revealed that he knew a multimillionaire and was too prideful to accept charity. That never sat well with me. From that point on I never bought into Walter White's character. I didn't like him at all,
After watching 4 seasons of the show I still don't like any of the characters. For a character driven show, none of the characters are likeable. Maybe except for Walter Jr s.k.a. Flynn. On the other hand, The Wire made you LOVE the grimiest of the grimy becasue their motivations were so genuine and made sense.
In the end I like [COLOR=#red]Breaking Bad[/COLOR] becasue its a well made show. It leaves you in suspense and is entertaining... but The Wire is truly a masterpiece. I feel that most who say they don't like The Wire are people who can't or are not willing to fully invest into what the show really is.

Walt isn't suppose to be likable. You feel sorry for him but you ultimately don't like him.

What's the point of bringing in race into this discussion? If someone wanted to make an argument for Mad Men, it's not that far-fetched at all.
b/c i've watched all of the greatest shows... sopranos, sons of anarchy, game of thrones, wire, breaking bad...

mad men doesnt even sniff these shows in plot, acting, or interest level... (just an opinion)

but the show clearly is the the good ol' white days when white men >>>>> everyone else, and this includes white women...

i understand that's how the times was... and if there was better acting, i could get with it... but the plot just doesnt grasp me....

i happen to look at myself as an objective black man. i dont see thru black power glasses, but i'm not oblivious to racially charged situations... Mad Men is not even close to being on par with the shows i mentioned.

Game of thrones is similar BUT the acting and plot makes it a great show..

mad men is boring as burnt toast.

the wire is boring & hard to understand ...its one of those shows you gotta watch from the start...and the start is pretty boring :x (couldnt finish it)

breaking bad...on the other hand

you can watch it mid way in the season and still least have a idea of whats going on

plus rarely boring ..even in the first few eps ...had me like wth..is this a movie?:wow:

b/c i've watched all of the greatest shows... sopranos, sons of anarchy, game of thrones, wire, breaking bad...

mad men doesnt even sniff these shows in plot, acting, or interest level... (just an opinion)

but the show clearly is the the good ol' white days when white men >>>>> everyone else, and this includes white women...

i understand that's how the times was... and if there was better acting, i could get with it... but the plot just doesnt grasp me....

i happen to look at myself as an objective black man. i dont see thru black power glasses, but i'm not oblivious to racially charged situations... Mad Men is not even close to being on par with the shows i mentioned.

Game of thrones is similar BUT the acting and plot makes it a great show..

mad men is boring as burnt toast.

I never said Mad Men was superior to any of those shows, in fact, I don't think it is. If you don't think k there's quality acting on Mad Men, I don't know what to tell you. If the plot doesn't interest you, then of course you won't like it, but to assume you have to be white to think it's comparable to great shows.. That's why I commented.

Mad Men is more than "the good ol days". It's the story of a man struggling with his identity, who tries to reinvent himself in the pursuit of "The American dream" that we find is largely a myth once the changing times of the 60s hits. I could go on and on with the positives of the show and the themes it addresses, but like I said.. I'm not arguing its better than The Wire or BB or Sopranos.. I tend to dislike those arguments because I'd rather appreciate quality shows than rank. It's not as far of a gap as you claim, Mad Men isn't some brain dead CBS procedural crime show, even if you don't like it. It's your exaggerated claims that I was commenting on.

Last edited:
the wire is boring & hard to understand ...its one of those shows you gotta watch from the start...and the start is pretty boring :x (couldnt finish it)
breaking bad...on the other hand
you can watch it mid way in the season and still least have a idea of whats going on
plus rarely boring ..even in the first few eps ...had me like wth..is this a movie?:wow:
The amount of times I hear this
Shaking_head.gif

There's no explosions or car chases on The Wire. Clearly it's a boring show.

im a avid wire fan since day 1, just started watching this, im on season 3. When gus or whatever showed him that lab, fam got that imma about to cook up :x look. this show is very very good. slept on it

I'm on season 3 of Breaking Bad two. Damb at this b Skyler. I hate her. I want to watch her burn. Saul Goodman is that dude though.

Back
Top Bottom