IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

kobe-bryant-lol-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1660.gif

Seriously man just let it go. People have brought legit question to you, yet you ignore them in favor of posting the opinions of Smush Parker of all people. Someone who is a running joke in the NBA and Niketalk.

Last time i'll ask, is Tim Duncan a top 10 player of all time and did he ever carry the NBA ?

You said Kobe can't be top 10 because he was never the face of the NBA

1. There has been multiple faces of the NBA.  Kobe has been one.

2. Tim Duncan has never been the face of the NBA.  He is top 10

You are contradicting yourself Coach

I've not mentioned Tim Duncan.

Perhaps you need to brush up on your reading skills.

http://sportsroids.com/2009/02/03/why-has-the-nba-become-so-unpopular/
[h1]Why has the NBA become so unpopular??[/h1]
February 3, 2009 by Jay K

A little bit more than a decade ago Basketball was at it’s peak of popularity.  People questioned how the NBA be so popular and how come football took a backseat to both basketball and baseball.  Critics and fans a like said it was because of the fact that football players wore helmets that masked their faces.  Others said that people wanted to see a skill sport rather than one that required and rewarded strength over talent.

Today the NBA is a shell of what it used to be.  In fact it has been for years.  Since Michael Jordan’s third and final retirement a lot of the luster, excitement, and entertainment has left the industry.  Some may point out that scoring is higher than ever.  Although that may be true, the fact of the matter is that the way that players are scoring points has caused the game to actually slow down dramatically.  Ever since the rule of no hand checking along the perimeter has been in place, faster players like Tony Parker and Rajon Rondo have been abusing the painted area.  Although guard play was what David Stern was hoping to incorporate into the game, it slowed it down due to several of ticky tack fouls being called.

The result was higher scoring, but it was all done at a stand still pace… at the foul line.  Look at Kobe Bryant last night at the Garden for example.  He drops 61 points on the New York Knicks, 20 of which came from the free throw stripe (He went 20/20 at the line).

Another reason comes from over this past summer in which we saw referree Tim Donaghy ruined much of the little credibility the NBA had left.  Do you remember about 5 years ago the Lakers and Spurs were playing in the Western Conference Semi-Finals.  Derek Fisher hit a jumper with 0.3 seconds left on the clock.  From my recollection, they deemed it impossible to even tap a ball in without at least 0.4 seconds remaining on the clock.  Now I’m not a Spurs fan or a Laker hater but anyone who saw that game can see that the clock started late, and they gave Fisher enough time to do a turn-catch-and-shoot.

Parity, it doesn’t exist.  Even today with both conferences looking more and more similar record wise.  The fact of the matter is that only two or three teams from each conference have a legitimate chance in winning the title.  That doesn’t seem so bad right?  Well these are the same teams every year for about a 2 to 3 year period.  San Antonio, Cleveland, Detriot (Not so much this year), and Phoenix (they too have fallen off) prior to last year’s finals were doned to be in the Conference Finals at the minimum.

Last edited:

I've not mentioned Tim Duncan.

Perhaps you need to brush up on your reading skills.
Perhaps you should.  You said in order to be top 10 you need to have been the face of the league.  Tim Duncan is top 10 and never been the face.

Perhaps you should.  You said in order to be top 10 you need to have been the face of the league.  Tim Duncan is top 10 and never been the face.
You are entitled to your opinion.

But that does not make Kobe Bryant any less overrated. 

You are entitled to your opinion.

But that does not make Kobe Bryant any less overrated. 
Ok so

You said kobe was a horrible person and a bad leader....so was Jordan

You said a player must be the face of the NBA in order to be top 10....kobe has been one of the faces while Tim Duncan hasn't really

Keep posting your random blogger articles and quoting Smush Parker

Two names, Shaq, and Karl Malone.

Sold them out.

So what Kobe Bryant is popular in China? Plenty people, right? Ratings STILL tanked during his prime.

Not many wanted to watch him.

But since you want to bring up whether or not Tim Duncan is Top ten, well, he isn't either.

Best power forward? Yup.

But as a player? He does not beat out the Top Ten that actually carried the league, the true measure of GREATNESS, those that transcend the game.

Mikan, Wilt, Russ, Oscar, Kareem, Doc, Larry and Magic, Jordan, that's the Mount Rushmore, and Kobe Bryant does not belong there.

Never will either..

That'd be you mentioning Tim Duncan. You really honestly believe that Tim Duncan isn't one of the 10 greatest players to ever play this game.

The true measure of greatness is success. Rings/MVP's are the type of things that make your legacy. Not marketability or TV ratings or Jersey sales. So please, just stop.

Last edited:
Don't like Smush?

How about this? http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/post/_/id/24200/the-truth-about-kobe-bryant-in-crunch-time
[h1]The truth about Kobe Bryant in crunch time[/h1]
The sin of predictability  
Bryant makes crunch-time defense easy for opponents by shooting just about every time he touches the ball (over a five-year period, he mustered 56 clutch shots, to go with oneassist). 

Fans of his raw machismo howl that such criticism misses the point, but the point is that when Bryant gets the ball in crunch time, it's a virtual certainty that he'll shoot it, and it's better than 2-1 odds that he'll miss. 

In 1997, he famously air-balled two shots that could have beat the Jazz; instead, the Jazz won the series. In 1999, he whiffed on a 3-pointer at the buzzer that would have tied Game 2 against the Spurs. In Game 4 against the Kings in 2002, he missed a 2-pointer that would have tied the game (before the ball was tipped out to Robert Horry for the winning 3). In Game 7 of that same series, Bryant missed a tip that would have won the game in regulation. In Game 3 against the Timberwolves in 2003, he missed two keyshots in the last seconds of overtime, and the Lakers lost.

i see all the blocked posts by somebody in here. im guessing this is when dude starts going insane and posts articles from third world countries bashing kobe bryant on any topic possible from how he ties his laces to how he poops. lol for somebody who hates kobe bryant so much he sure does spend most of his life posting about him. but atlas this is what smallpoke does.. hes been doing it for almost a decade now.

let me guess two of the posts consist of the smush parker article and about the bryants maid? :lol:

[quote name="LONGSTROKE" url="/t/514515/is-kobe-bryant-overrated/450#post_16692252"
But since you want to bring up whether or not Tim Duncan is Top ten, well, he isn't either.
Best power forward? Yup.
But as a player? He does not beat out the Top Ten that actually carried the league, the true measure of GREATNESS, those that transcend the game.
Mikan, Wilt, Russ, Oscar, Kareem, Doc, Larry and Magic, Jordan, that's the Mount Rushmore, and Kobe Bryant does not belong there.
Never will either..
That'd be you mentioning Tim Duncan. You really honestly believe that Tim Duncan isn't one of the 10 greatest players to ever play this game.
The true measure of greatness is success. Not marketability or TV ratings or Jersey sales. So please, just stop.[/quote]
Ha, yeah, I said that. But you've taken it out of context, use the entire portion of the debate.

Duncan is great, and as you've quoted me, I've said that he is the best PF of all time. 

But that does not make him Top Ten. 

As with Kobe, you can't simply use numbers to determine who is better. With all things equal, what else did they do for the game?

We all know what Kobe DIDN'T do.

Babe Ruth elevated Baseball to new heights, do you replace him with Barry Bonds, since Bonds hit more home runs?

This is how ridiculous you guys sound by suggesting that Kobe Bryant is a top ten player all time.

Last edited:
i see all the blocked posts by somebody in here. im guessing this is when dude starts going insane and posts articles from third world countries bashing kobe bryant on any topic possible from how he ties his laces to how he poops. lol for somebody who hates kobe bryant so much he sure does spend most of his life posting about him. but atlas this is what smallpoke does.. hes been doing it for almost a decade now.
let me guess two of the posts consist of the smush parker article and about the bryants maid?
laugh.gif
The score is 234 to 54. .

You can find positive and negative articles about every high profile athlete in world history. :rofl: :smh:

To answer the question briefly...no. I appreciate his greatness.

LONGSTROKE has killed Kobe Bryant in this thread as well as any Kobe lovers that wanted to defend their boy.  I love it!!  This thread should be archived and used in the future.

dude is mad lame...

he has the majority of the posts in here...

dude is the lamest kind of troll...a volume shooting troll...

if you post a million diff opinions on sumn, someone will agree with your tired rhetoric....word to silly putty...

So, Kobe never "carried" the NBA.
That takes away his skills on the court and his individual and team accolades huh?
Kobe is the latest in a long line of LAKER LEGENDS dogg. Just bow down to that already.

You tryin too hard homes. Give it up.

Back
Top Bottom