Is Nike no longer as cool as it used to be?

Prices for Nike workout clothing is crazy. I Been rockin’ Old Navy and workout brands from Amazon and they’ve been amazing. Quality especially. Had a rotation of champion compression sheets for two years until they started tearing and fraying whereas my Nike Pro compression shorts died after a few months,
Depends on the line, Nike Running is superior to nearly everything at the price point

Nike simply doesn’t care about the athlete anymore. They use to care about innovation and pushing the boundaries of performance but now all they care about is profit margins and answering to shareholders.

Once they went public that was the beginning of the end.

Nike simply doesn’t care about the athlete anymore. They use to care about innovation and pushing the boundaries of performance but now all they care about is profit margins and answering to shareholders.

Once they went public that was the beginning of the end.

They have been publically traded since 1980. So that isn’t the issue.

Nike and other brands have been struggling with sales in China. That’s the main reason for the stock price drop. They also admitted the D2C model was a misstep. Nike will be fine but the financials are going to be ugly for the next few quarters. Don’t expect price drops on signature shoes, just more sub-$100 offerings the “sneakerhead” wouldn’t care about.

Imo it was downhill when you start seeing white women intentionally wear them dirty with scuff marks like they were golden goose sneakers, and they stop making them with leather.
ADVERTISEMENT​
The issue is our society as a whole now with social media. They feel the need to wear whatever everyone else is wearing and not being individuals with their own taste.
No disrespect but when HASN'T this been the case with the shoe game? It's always been about doing what OTHERS have deemed cool/acceptable vs. Forming your own tastes. We just SEE It on a worldwide scale because of Social Media.

But I would personally argue it has always existed.

I believe a significant reason why Nike is not as popular right now is due to shifting age demographics and consumer preferences, leading them to abandon their loyal base.

Many of us in our mid-to-late 30s and older grew up buying '90s basketball shoes and Jordans. Now that we're older, we prefer comfort and a minimalist aesthetic, which brands like New Balance and ASICS have long championed. However, we didn't appreciate these qualities as much when we were younger. Additionally, the prevalence of apps and bots has diminished the joy of buying sneakers, as even semi-hype general releases are quickly snapped up.

The younger generation gravitates towards hype releases like Travis Scott collaborations, leading to instant sellouts. However, the limited supply benefits resale websites more than Nike itself. It's surprising that Nike hasn't launched its own version of StockX or GOAT to capture more of the re-commerce market.

lot's of things being said very true about Nike not being it's best right now, but gotta really point at the the fact that you can't be surprise at how Nike is lacking in "innovation" when they shifted from a CEO who is a true product expert working in design for years to a CEO that comes from more of tech side and has no true experience in sportswear industry

those layoffs were far from what people are calling "trim the fat" (i personally have friends/peers that were affected by it and they were far from the problem)

It's surprising that Nike hasn't launched its own version of StockX or GOAT to capture more of the re-commerce market.
That could be dicey with antitrust laws but I’m no expert. Profiting from the initial sale then profiting again from the resale of the same product sounds like an unfair practice lawsuit in the making… especially when limited releases are involved.

That could be dicey with antitrust laws but I’m no expert. Profiting from the initial sale then profiting again from the resale of the same product sounds like an unfair practice lawsuit in the making… especially when limited releases are involved.

There's precedent for it (Steve Madden Re-Booted as an example), but I hear you that Nike is a different beast. The key difference is that Nike would require authentication, and I don't think Nike would want many people to know how to QA for authenticity since it would likely leak to those making reps.

ADVERTISEMENT​

No disrespect but when HASN'T this been the case with the shoe game? It's always been about doing what OTHERS have deemed cool/acceptable vs. Forming your own tastes. We just SEE It on a worldwide scale because of Social Media.

I would say thats more the case NOW than earlier. Most of us came to the site looking for info on shoes not to see what others were doing, but I can tell a LOT of people rode a wave into NT.

ADVERTISEMENT​

Hell no, individuality was expected and accepted. That's why you had so many different sneaker brands in the 80's and 90's.

You wouldn't have seen 15 out of 30 kids in a class wearing the same brand, much less those 15 wearing panda dunks.

Social media has become about assimilation. What do my peers think of these kicks. Are they hype? Are they popular?

There's precedent for it (Steve Madden Re-Booted as an example), but I hear you that Nike is a different beast. The key difference is that Nike would require authentication, and I don't think Nike would want many people to know how to QA for authenticity since it would likely leak to those making reps.

I don't think Nike can get away with reselling their own products above MSRP. That would be cause for an issue since they can limit retail stock and make more money pushing everything on their resell platform. runyc runyc your example is still used/refurbished products for under retail. Nike already does this at their outlets.

I'm referring to having consumers resell their own items (DS or used), similar to GOAT, on a separate Nike site. Nike wouldn't be pushing its own inventory. They would be able to capture a percentage of the resale prices (whether below or above MSRP) and have consumers set the prices.

It just seems it’s a death by 1000 cuts. It’s not some
shift to adidas. These kids today and older people now have a ton of options they see as good or better than.

Comfort is king now. Not cool. All the IMSA racing teams I swear use hoka or on. Not one nike in sight besides me lol. When I go out I don’t see nike as dominant. I see these kids at my child’s school wearing just about everything.

Also they missed the worn look. The golden goose move has been replicated by new balance etc but nike mostly ignored it. It was hot and still is with certain groups.

I think they need to roll out a serious loyalty program. SNKRS ain’t it. I have a private event to attend at Nordstrom tomrorow for being a valued customer. I must have spent at least 50k over my lifetime on Nikes and it doesn’t matter to them. So my loyalty wasn’t appreciated and I now buy anything.

No doubt this brilliant company will make adjustments and they will remain #1. But we are seeing a shift that seems to be permanent.

Comfort isn't king. It's a phase.

Boost was comfort is king, and what happen after that a shift to Uptowns, dunks, sambas, vans....

Hell, NMD's weren't even comfortable and they sold more of them than anything.

Hell no, individuality was expected and accepted. That's why you had so many different sneaker brands in the 80's and 90's.

You wouldn't have seen 15 out of 30 kids in a class wearing the same brand, much less those 15 wearing panda dunks.

Social media has become about assimilation. What do my peers think of these kicks. Are they hype? Are they popular?
Disagree. You would absolutely see a large amount of students wearing the latest Jordan or Signature Basketball sneaker when they dropped.

I'm referring to having consumers resell their own items (DS or used), similar to GOAT, on a separate Nike site. Nike wouldn't be pushing its own inventory. They would be able to capture a percentage of the resale prices (whether below or above MSRP) and have consumers set the prices.
Got it.

Disagree. You would absolutely see a large amount of students wearing the latest Jordan or Signature Basketball sneaker when they dropped.

Yea maybe I've lived a different life because where I'm from people always looked like they came off an assembly line with how common they dressed. Especially what was on their feet.

Foams (All Forms)
New Balances

And other shoes over the years.

No, because we didn't know launch days and most parents weren't paying $100 for kicks

I think that depends on where you were. In a city like Houston, yes, the day some Jordans drop the entire city proudly walks around looking like clones, but in my hometown there are thoes who are "on it" and those who aren't. Dudes would go out of their way to NOT wear them the same day as everyone else.

Yea maybe I've lived a different life because where I'm from people always looked like they came off an assembly line with how common they dressed. Especially what was in their feet.

Foams (All Forms)
New Balances

And other shoes over the years.

DC also has their own music and doesn't have a gang problem

No real issue with facilitating the resale of used GRs below MSRP in the name of sustainability. But when those DS Travis Scott 1s that Nike only made 100 of at $150 MSRP start selling for $1k+ with Nike taking more profit… At best its bad optics, at worst a very expensive class action lawsuit for artificial price inflation. Even if they aren’t setting the resale prices they’d have to prove how limiting the quantity is in the best interest of us consumers in the first place. Especially when it leads to us paying 10x more for something they could simply make more of to drive prices down.

Back
Top Bottom