Is NT An Old Head Site?

Might be this one..

I actually understand this, mostly about pics being posted in non-women related threads, and people looking at work and stuff. The avy stuff, ehhhh, I hate that I hate that "w w well look at him wh wh wh why does he get to do it??" stuff. As far as the pics, lol "be one of my 5000 followers and look at my 10,000 pics but don't post them". I ain't tripping, I'll just stick with Tumblr and Twitter and leave it at that

We've had these rules in place for ages now:
https://niketalk.com/threads/reminder-nsfw-content-is-not-appropriate-for-niketalk.516943/

It's nothing new. I've tried to be patient. I've tried to be understanding. If people don't understand where the line is drawn, then I have no problem deleting MORE content rather than LESS to make that distinction clearer. I get that everyone wants to be treated fairly. If you get your avatar deleted and you say "well what about so and so!?" I'll delete their avatar, too, if it's in violation.

Let me keep it :emoji_100: here:

I'm tired of getting complaints from people who can't view our forums from work or home because they're worried that a lewd image will pop up in a thread about sneakers or sports.

I'm tired of coming across support requests from women whose pictures have been uploaded without their consent by some lonely NikeTalk member.

Saving NikeTalk from the discontinuation of the previous platform cost us more money than most of our members probably spent on college tuition. It was not cheap. It cost a lot of money to convert the data from a proprietary format to that of the new platform. It cost a lot of money to build out our hosting infrastructure and provide storage for all the images everyone's uploaded over the years - along with the redundancy and regular backups required to protect it all. It cost a lot of money to create a custom design. It cost a lot of money to custom develop features just for us. (Twitter/IG embeds, name change, pending navigation and content discovery tweaks.) It cost a lot of money to provide professional support services for our community and our fellow members.

We pay for this site with ad revenue. That's also how we fund our donations.

We moved almost a month ago, but we're STILL waiting for approval from ad networks - that should've taken under 24 hours and were no problem for other sites - over concerns about raunchy images that have NOTHING to do with our core subject matter.

This is a VERY minor concession.

You had the same avatar for 10 years? Great. I don't know many people who, as adults, would want to be associated with the poster they hung up in their locker in sixth grade, but whatever.

We need ads to maintain the site. We need ads to host your avatars.

So the choice is this: follow the rules and enjoy the types of content that brought us all here in the first place, and that bring you here day after day.
Post the type of tawdry, lascivious images you'd have no trouble finding elsewhere on the Internet and lose NT entirely.

These policies are in place for a reason. They help us make NikeTalk safer and more welcoming for a diverse audience, and they help us keep the site online.

I have little sympathy for those who have no interest in either.

If you want to argue about it, hit my inbox. It's been one of the most dramatic offseasons in league history. There are far more interesting things to occupy NBA fans' time than gripes about avatars.

I wanna see proof women contacted about pics bring posted. 90% of those joints you could go straight to tumblr & find in 5 mins with 1k likes to go along with it. I have a hard time believing that.
If someone contacts us with a privacy issue, we're obviously not going to post that email publicly.

I'm not sure why it's so hard to fathom why someone might not like it when lonely boys are posting pictures of you without your consent. If nothing else, it's a copyright violation.

Even if we accepted your claim that "90% of those" photos were posted on IG/etc., there are two problems with that logic:

1. This doesn't happen 90% of the time, nor does it need to in order to be a problem. If hundreds of thousands of images are posted and even 1% are problematic, that's THOUSANDS of violations.
2. Even if the photo came from someone's IG account, re-uploading that photo without consent is a copyright violation. Major League Baseball broadcasts games to millions of people. You can't rebroadcast those games without their express written consent. The owner of the photo has the right to decide when and where it's published.

Allowing live posting to a website requires trust. Anyone has the potential to abuse the forums to damage the reputation of the community or do harm to others. It is intensely frustrating to see our community abused to violate someone's privacy, or for NT to be a source of harm rather than good. In some cases, photos of someone taken during their teens or early twenties have come back to haunt them as professionals. If they want those photos removed from our forums, I'm happy to oblige. It's embarrassing when users with low maturity misuse their posting access to make NikeTalk seem like a society of pervy misogynists. That's not who we are.

The issue isn't that EVERY photo in an "appreciation" thread is unacceptable. Sometimes people create these threads with good intentions. They want to celebrate a standard of beauty that's more inclusive than the "law of the bluest eye." They want to be body positive, and show that beauty can found in all shapes and sizes. And I'm certainly sensitive to the hypocrisy of various ad network policies. There's a long, troubled history of men attempting to control or regulate women's bodies, and a lot of the ad network policies are hypocritical in that they'll prohibit images that are readily available on their own websites or search engine (which get whitelisted). We get called out for "allowing" posts containing images of swimsuit models when the ad networks will gladly run a video of a scantily clad model for Carl's Jr.

At a certain point, however, lewd images start to make the site unwelcoming for other users. It can feel more hostile for women. People can feel like they can't trust any given page to be safe for work or safe for their family. We have to draw the line there.

When we started the site almost 18 years ago, the vision was not "finally, a place for men to find pictures of women in varying states of undress!" If that's something you feel you need the Internet's help with in your life, there's no shortage of other sites capable of accommodating you. NikeTalk does not and should not be one of them.

It's challenging to draw a line that everyone understands in these cases. We used to say "if it's something you could see on national TV, it's fine," but the concept of "network television" doesn't have a lot of meaning in 2017. We started quoting Google's policies years ago after Huddler began receiving complaints from Google about some of the "appreciation threads" and avatars on the site: https://niketalk.com/threads/reminder-nsfw-content-is-not-appropriate-for-niketalk.516943/

When we moved, we could no longer rely on Huddler's AdSense account or Wikia's AdSense account, and we needed to register one of our own.

That's been held up for almost a month now - and these images seem to be the problem. That's not "NT's greedy staff wants more money." That's "NT needs to be able to cover its operating expenses."

NikeTalk is NOT dying, but it could die if we're unable to once again make the site sustainable. It can't be funded out of pocket forever.

Hopefully everyone understands the need to crack down on this. Unfortunately, we can't possibly go through hundreds of pages of appreciation threads and manually remove inappropriate images - and we can't be 100% consistent in sweeping through user avatars all at once. So it's going to feel a little arbitrary since we're doing this pretty much without help.

If users cared about the appreciation threads enough to report images that were in violation, they might still be around. The problem is that users worried about safe for work content or respectful images aren't in those threads, and those who are typically don't report anything. Violations are way too prevalent to keep, and removing those threads is the only practical way to give ourselves a chance for approval right now.

If that's "too real" or "too long" or "too complicated" for anyone, then the issue is hardly worthy of "protest," either.

my biggest gripe with the new NT is the new quotes are annoying i hate that its a multiple step thing now

Snatched a piece of an old post of mine out of laziness, so my bad if it reads oddly:

You can either hit 'reply' to directly quote one post and jump straight to the text box

Hit 'quote' if you intend to quote multiple posts (you'd tap 'quote' on each desired post) then move down to the text box area and select 'insert quotes'

Or highlight text within a post and select one of the aforementioned two options from a small pop-up button that appears.

I just realized that a few days ago when I clicked reply by accident :lol:

Give me options on quoting.

I particularly really like that when you do post it doesnt take you directly to the latest of of thread and there are options to go back and click to see posts/pages you haven't read yet.

Meh wasn't aware it was an issue. Like I said whenever I visted the threads it was almost entirely stuff that's been posted a million times already on tumblr. RIP slim thick angels though. Top tier thread right there.

The idea that we'd have to get consent from every single female we post pics of is crazy.

I see why the threads got shut down.
It's hardly "crazy" if you look at it from the point of view of those whose images are being uploaded without consent.

You might not care if photos that you've posted - and deleted - on social media began circulating on some other website where your appearance is being critiqued and, if you're "lucky", people are trying to find out your name and where you work/live, but is it so difficult to see why that's not something everyone wants?

Then there's the legal side of it, as illustrated here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/oliver...-use-in-the-age-of-social-media/#65c115c83300

We don't want the site to be misused, much less for it to cause others harm, and we certainly don't want to put the community at risk because a small number of users are behaving irresponsibly or unethically. Everyone's understanding of that is greatly appreciated.

I totally get that concern.

I'm just saying its crazy to think posters are going to ask for permission for every single female for every single pic.

The toll of that task is crazy. That's an entire endeavor by itself.

I totally get that concern.

I'm just saying its crazy to think posters are going to ask for permission for every single female for every single pic.

The toll of that task is crazy. That's an entire endeavor by itself.
Which is why we had to shut them down.

Not all posts are problematic in those threads, but the prevalence of issues - and the scarcity of reports from users - means we have little choice but to remove the threads entirely for that reason.

Methodical Management Methodical Management you left the right one stay open.....

e2cabce634c0294b1565336873326f47.jpg

If someone contacts us with a privacy issue, we're obviously not going to post that email publicly.

I'm not sure why it's so hard to fathom why someone might not like it when lonely boys are posting pictures of you without your consent. If nothing else, it's a copyright violation.

Even if we accepted your claim that "90% of those" photos were posted on IG/etc., there are two problems with that logic:

1. This doesn't happen 90% of the time, nor does it need to in order to be a problem. If hundreds of thousands of images are posted and even 1% are problematic, that's THOUSANDS of violations.
2. Even if the photo came from someone's IG account, re-uploading that photo without consent is a copyright violation. Major League Baseball broadcasts games to millions of people. You can't rebroadcast those games without their express written consent. The owner of the photo has the right to decide when and where it's published.

Allowing live posting to a website requires trust. Anyone has the potential to abuse the forums to damage the reputation of the community or do harm to others. It is intensely frustrating to see our community abused to violate someone's privacy, or for NT to be a source of harm rather than good. In some cases, photos of someone taken during their teens or early twenties have come back to haunt them as professionals. If they want those photos removed from our forums, I'm happy to oblige. It's embarrassing when users with low maturity misuse their posting access to make NikeTalk seem like a society of pervy misogynists. That's not who we are.

The issue isn't that EVERY photo in an "appreciation" thread is unacceptable. Sometimes people create these threads with good intentions. They want to celebrate a standard of beauty that's more inclusive than the "law of the bluest eye." They want to be body positive, and show that beauty can found in all shapes and sizes. And I'm certainly sensitive to the hypocrisy of various ad network policies. There's a long, troubled history of men attempting to control or regulate women's bodies, and a lot of the ad network policies are hypocritical in that they'll prohibit images that are readily available on their own websites or search engine (which get whitelisted). We get called out for "allowing" posts containing images of swimsuit models when the ad networks will gladly run a video of a scantily clad model for Carl's Jr.

At a certain point, however, lewd images start to make the site unwelcoming for other users. It can feel more hostile for women. People can feel like they can't trust any given page to be safe for work or safe for their family. We have to draw the line there.

When we started the site almost 18 years ago, the vision was not "finally, a place for men to find pictures of women in varying states of undress!" If that's something you feel you need the Internet's help with in your life, there's no shortage of other sites capable of accommodating you. NikeTalk does not and should not be one of them.

It's challenging to draw a line that everyone understands in these cases. We used to say "if it's something you could see on national TV, it's fine," but the concept of "network television" doesn't have a lot of meaning in 2017. We started quoting Google's policies years ago after Huddler began receiving complaints from Google about some of the "appreciation threads" and avatars on the site: https://niketalk.com/threads/reminder-nsfw-content-is-not-appropriate-for-niketalk.516943/

When we moved, we could no longer rely on Huddler's AdSense account or Wikia's AdSense account, and we needed to register one of our own.

That's been held up for almost a month now - and these images seem to be the problem. That's not "NT's greedy staff wants more money." That's "NT needs to be able to cover its operating expenses."

NikeTalk is NOT dying, but it could die if we're unable to once again make the site sustainable. It can't be funded out of pocket forever.

Hopefully everyone understands the need to crack down on this. Unfortunately, we can't possibly go through hundreds of pages of appreciation threads and manually remove inappropriate images - and we can't be 100% consistent in sweeping through user avatars all at once. So it's going to feel a little arbitrary since we're doing this pretty much without help.

If users cared about the appreciation threads enough to report images that were in violation, they might still be around. The problem is that users worried about safe for work content or respectful images aren't in those threads, and those who are typically don't report anything. Violations are way too prevalent to keep, and removing those threads is the only practical way to give ourselves a chance for approval right now.

If that's "too real" or "too long" or "too complicated" for anyone, then the issue is hardly worthy of "protest," either.
another forum i used to post on had a section where you had to have atleast 400 post to enter said section. that section is where people would post pics of sexy girls instagodesses ect. can we have a section like that?

Back
Top Bottom