Is this how most Odd Future/Tyler fans feel after hearing Goblin?

There were things he said that I agreed with, and then he said things that I didn't agree with. It comes down to what pleases YOUR ears though, I personally thought the album was pretty solid. 

There were things he said that I agreed with, and then he said things that I didn't agree with. It comes down to what pleases YOUR ears though, I personally thought the album was pretty solid. 

I really don't understand why people put so much stock in critics. Most of the things people "critique" are extremely subjective anyways. But sadly, at the end of the day, the sheep will follow the masses, just as its' always been. 
That being said, I like OF. I listen to their music. I was always partial to Mellowhype out of the whole crew but I still check for Tyler's *+$!. I wasn't disappointed by Goblin because honestly I wasn't really expecting it to be groundbreaking, as many of you apparently did. These guys didn't become famous because they are musical prodigies. Are they talented? Absolutely, but aside from some flashes of brilliance, I don't think they've done anything that would suggest that Tyler was going to release the next Sgt. Pepper or some *+$!. 

I also don't understand the all of the people saying that his "sound changed". Personally, I feel like sound not changing from project to project is a problem with an artist. People change. You were not the same a year ago as you are today, why are musicians or artists any different? If you don't like the "new" sound, then fine. That's cool, you're entitled to your opinion, but don't dislike something because its' different. No change and no growth probably means that their faking it. 

I really don't understand why people put so much stock in critics. Most of the things people "critique" are extremely subjective anyways. But sadly, at the end of the day, the sheep will follow the masses, just as its' always been. 
That being said, I like OF. I listen to their music. I was always partial to Mellowhype out of the whole crew but I still check for Tyler's *+$!. I wasn't disappointed by Goblin because honestly I wasn't really expecting it to be groundbreaking, as many of you apparently did. These guys didn't become famous because they are musical prodigies. Are they talented? Absolutely, but aside from some flashes of brilliance, I don't think they've done anything that would suggest that Tyler was going to release the next Sgt. Pepper or some *+$!. 

I also don't understand the all of the people saying that his "sound changed". Personally, I feel like sound not changing from project to project is a problem with an artist. People change. You were not the same a year ago as you are today, why are musicians or artists any different? If you don't like the "new" sound, then fine. That's cool, you're entitled to your opinion, but don't dislike something because its' different. No change and no growth probably means that their faking it. 

He said himself people that loved BASTARD would hate GOBLIN. I loved BASTARD, and I really like most of GOBLIN. I didn't go into it expecting him to blow my mind and surpass himself. Went into it hoping it wouldn't suck and I was not disappointed.

Giving it at least 2 more weeks before I can give a solid review of it.

He said himself people that loved BASTARD would hate GOBLIN. I loved BASTARD, and I really like most of GOBLIN. I didn't go into it expecting him to blow my mind and surpass himself. Went into it hoping it wouldn't suck and I was not disappointed.

Giving it at least 2 more weeks before I can give a solid review of it.

About the beats sounding like older neptunes stuff, yes BASTARD did have alot of those which I loved. But GOBLIN kinda catered to the mosh pit style of production more so than anything, which I personally dont care for as much.

About the beats sounding like older neptunes stuff, yes BASTARD did have alot of those which I loved. But GOBLIN kinda catered to the mosh pit style of production more so than anything, which I personally dont care for as much.

I thought this thread was about the music?  Not the guy giving the review.
Aside from all that I can't get past the production.  I guess that's Tyler's steez but he picks some of the worst tracks I've ever heard anyone rap over.
sick.gif
sick.gif

Tyler comes off as an arrogant prick to me.  I guess most rappers are arrogant pricks but he tries so hard not to be like every other rapper.

I thought this thread was about the music?  Not the guy giving the review.
Aside from all that I can't get past the production.  I guess that's Tyler's steez but he picks some of the worst tracks I've ever heard anyone rap over.
sick.gif
sick.gif

Tyler comes off as an arrogant prick to me.  I guess most rappers are arrogant pricks but he tries so hard not to be like every other rapper.

The guy gives an objective review. If you don't think that, then you're being subjective.

The guy gives an objective review. If you don't think that, then you're being subjective.

I liked the album but its clear with his next album he's going to have to switch up the subject matter a little more. I liked how he talked about the impact of fame, how his life has changed, addressing critics, etc... But he's going to have to expand his material more.

I liked the album but its clear with his next album he's going to have to switch up the subject matter a little more. I liked how he talked about the impact of fame, how his life has changed, addressing critics, etc... But he's going to have to expand his material more.

Man the more and more I listen to Goblin.. the worse it gets.#%## is like a 4/10
30t6p3b.gif

Had such high hopes after Yonkers and he gives us an album full of trash.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Man the more and more I listen to Goblin.. the worse it gets.#%## is like a 4/10
30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by vezon

30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Pretty much how I feel.

Originally Posted by vezon

30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Pretty much how I feel.

As someone who tried their hardest to dislike everything OF, I gave bastard a listen. Pleasantly surprised. Thought maybe the hype behind goblin was right... Listened to goblin, had trouble getting through it. I'll give it another shot, but this review pretty much sums up exactly how I feel. I will say I'm interested to see how Tyler develops, should be interesting if he has staying power...which, at this point, is tough for me to not dismiss him as another fad.

Back
Top Bottom