Islamic Extremist have the entire world scared.

Originally Posted by GTEK

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

certain vile immoral hateful people use religion to back their agenda but the religion its self is not that...

You've been keeping it too real lately.
pimp.gif

/thread.
No. Keeping it real would be saying Islam can be a peaceful religion but it can also be a violent one. When your religion is founded by a military leader who struggled with his own morals (as we all do) that is bound to happen. You can find hateful passages in the Qur'an. You can find beautiful passages in the Qur'an. As someone who isn't particularly religious I just hope most people choose the latter.

"As an American Muslim civil rights lawyer and proud First Amendment freak, I can honestly say that I love both my Prophet Mohammed and "South Park." In any free democratic society, the concept of free speech can only be combated with more free speech, not censorship. If the creators of "South Park" choose to depict the Prophet Mohammed, that is their First Amendment right, and they should be able to do so freely without any threats of physical violence and retribution."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/O...h.park/index.html?hpt=C2

now that is /thread

Originally Posted by Cz7

"As an American Muslim civil rights lawyer and proud First Amendment freak, I can honestly say that I love both my Prophet Mohammed and "South Park." In any free democratic society, the concept of free speech can only be combated with more free speech, not censorship. If the creators of "South Park" choose to depict the Prophet Mohammed, that is their First Amendment right, and they should be able to do so freely without any threats of physical violence and retribution."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/O...h.park/index.html?hpt=C2

now that is /thread
What you and the author of that article apparently fail to realize, and which I posted earlier in this thread is that you are attempting to enforce First Amendment rights among people who don't necessarily live in this country and don't necessarily live in a country where freedom of speech even exists.  Why on Earth would you expect them then to "respect" the right of white men in the U.S. to make a mockery of what they consider sacred?  Because Americans want them to?  Because YOU want them to?  Because it's what YOU feel is right?
laugh.gif
  These people don't play by your rules and you cannot make them do so no matter how upset or disrespectful you become.

Also, you are once again making sweeping generalizations based on the words a one or a few people.  A few people "threatened" Stone and Parker and you chose to use that as a platform to stereotype all Muslims and religions in general as evil.  Now that one (apparently American) Muslim, who is actually a self-professed fan of South Park, states that Stone and Parker should be able to make fun of anyone they want (including the Prophet Mohammed), you present that as what we should all consider the definitive word on the subject from a rational Muslim simply because he agrees with your views in that one particular instance.

And while you quote one paragraph of the article, you completely ignore nearly the rest of the article which criticizes the fact that this "threat" has received so much media coverage and the general Islamophobia in the U.S. which you are contributing to...

it's really that simple. over the years, i've never seen any scientoligists, atheists, christians, jews or buddhists threaten the lives of the creators of south park. your religion is no more special than anyone else's. the danish cartoonist, theo van gogh, south park creators...it isn't a $+%@#*@ coincidence  it's a pattern of behavior.

it would be nice to see more moderate muslims speak out about this like that lawyer.

Originally Posted by DubA169

Mo Matik wrote:

If you do read the Qur'an and come to the same conclusion, than by all means continue to call it vile.  But don't let your opinion and mind be so easily swayed.

All I ask.

and all i ask is that Muslims stop trying to kill people for making a joke about their prophet.

all I ask

it's really that simple. over the years, i've never seen any scientoligists, atheists, christians, jews or buddhists threaten the lives of the creators of south park. your religion is no more special than anyone else's. the danish cartoonist, theo van gogh, south park creators...it isn't a +++!+!% coincidence  it's a pattern of behavior.

All I ask is that Christians stop trying to kill people because they believe in a woman's right to have an abortion... a right which is protected under the laws of the United States.

I've never heard of any Muslim, Jew, Buddhist, Scinetologist, or Atheist blow up an abortion clinic or kill a doctor who performs abortions... it isn't a #$!*$@% coincidence it's a pattern of behavior!!

eyes.gif

All I ask is that you stop making sweeping generalizations without basis.  How are you going to tell someone else what they should or shouldn't be offended by?  And how do you know that people of other faiths never threatened Stone and Parker?  Because you didn't hear about it in the news?
laugh.gif
  Wake the @%@* up.

And since when does two incidents over the span of the entire world over the course of a few years constitute a "pattern of behavior?"
eyes.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Cz7

I stand by everything I've said. Religion is vile, hateful, and immoral. 

You couldn't be further from the truth. The only thing that religion is is vague to a serious fault. This vagueness allows people to take the word of whatever religion they may subscribe to and interpret in any way they see fit. This allows people with malicious intent to spread their own views and gain followers to fulfill their own agendas.

GREAT points mpls.
I don't get how you guys think just because something doesn't offend you, it should be the same for everyone else.

Originally Posted by SaintVitus07

Originally Posted by GTEK

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

certain vile immoral hateful people use religion to back their agenda but the religion its self is not that...

You've been keeping it too real lately.
pimp.gif

/thread.
No. Keeping it real would be saying Islam can be a peaceful religion but it can also be a violent one. When your religion is founded by a military leader who struggled with his own morals (as we all do) that is bound to happen. You can find hateful passages in the Qur'an. You can find beautiful passages in the Qur'an. As someone who isn't particularly religious I just hope most people choose the latter.
Your interpretation of passages and beliefs aside....
you obviously missed the point of the quoted comment.

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

In no way does morality or spirituality or love follow from believing in the vile, hateful, immoral religions that riddle this earth

You've already made it obvious to everyone in this thread that you know nothing more about Islam that what you've seen in youtube videos and on the news.

I suggest you open up the Qur'an and read it for yourself, or at least read some credible Western scholarship on the subject before you make very charged comments like.  I'd be more than willing to suggest some scholarly books. 

If you do read the Qur'an and come to the same conclusion, than by all means continue to call it vile.  But don't let your opinion and mind be so easily swayed.

All I ask.

Lmao if you're suggesting reading the entire Quran
And Lmaox2 if you're suggesting reading isolated passages/verses
For every "smite unbelievers when you see them" theres an "embrace and accept" something of that nature...
And the fact that so much is "open to interpretation"

Between the older language use in translated versions to chronological differences to metaphors vs. real events  etc...
I think it should be obvious that reading any Holy Book is not as simple as reading Harry Potter haha

@red mpls

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the website U.S. based (In reference to protecting their rights). I saw an interview with a site administrator defending the claims.

anyone backing the censorship "forced" on comedy central is a joke ... where was all the outcry when jesus and every other religious figure gets blasted on southpark? gag me ...

red mpls wrote:

All I ask is that you stop making sweeping generalizations without basis.  How are you going to tell someone else what they should or shouldn't be offended by? 

i don't give a flying @%@% what you muslims are offended by. YOU HAVE NO RIGHT KILL SOMEONE BECAUSE YOUR OFFENDED

Tyler Perry
Born Emmitt Perry, Jr.
September 13, 1969 (1969-09-13) (age 40)
New Orleans, Louisiana,
United States
Occupation Actor, author, screenwriter, film director, theatre producer, theatre director, television director, playwright, film producer, television producer
Years active 1992–present

God damn it, I guess the right people still haven't seen Tyler Perry's House of Muhammad.

Originally Posted by heartofthacity

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

In no way does morality or spirituality or love follow from believing in the vile, hateful, immoral religions that riddle this earth

You've already made it obvious to everyone in this thread that you know nothing more about Islam that what you've seen in youtube videos and on the news.

I suggest you open up the Qur'an and read it for yourself, or at least read some credible Western scholarship on the subject before you make very charged comments like.  I'd be more than willing to suggest some scholarly books. 

All I ask.
Lmao if you're suggesting reading the entire Quran
And Lmaox2 if you're suggesting reading isolated passages/verses
For every "smite unbelievers when you see them" theres an "embrace and accept" something of that nature...
And the fact that so much is "open to interpretation"

Between the older language use in translated versions to chronological differences to metaphors vs. real events  etc...
I think it should be obvious that reading any Holy Book is not as simple as reading Harry Potter haha

@red mpls

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the website U.S. based (In reference to protecting their rights). I saw an interview with a site administrator defending the claims.

People spend years understanding the Qur'an, you're right about that.  It can't be understood in a single sitting.

That's also why there are hundreds of credible sources explaining the most widely accepted interpretations and what not.  That's why I also mentioned other scholarship on the religion itself. 

But the goal here when I asked him to "read the Qur'an" was to at least see for himself if the claims he was making about Islam were true.  I don't believe one could really come to that conclusion if one were to really read the Qur'an.

On the topic of interpretation:

This is off the thread topic, but hypothetically speaking, assume that you are reading the Qur'an with the prior belief that this is indeed the word of God.  Once you have that established, you will consistently see one specific theme more than any: "Read, and reflect on these passages."  Reflection; that is, understanding an interpretation.  If it is indeed the final word of God, the religion must be designed to fit every culture and time frame.  Why would God send down a final testament that only applies to a certain region and historical setting?

This is why it is open to interpretation and not so concrete.  Because you are supposed to use your ability as a human to rationalize it and interpret it properly in the setting.  If you see concrete verses that say "don't kill you're fellow man" and then you see a verse that can be INTERPRETED as "kill so and so," then use your ability to properly interpret, and make the conclusion that this specific interpretation is not correct.

Originally Posted by DubA169

red mpls wrote:

All I ask is that you stop making sweeping generalizations without basis.  How are you going to tell someone else what they should or shouldn't be offended by? 

i don't give a flying @%@% what you muslims are offended by. YOU HAVE NO RIGHT KILL SOMEONE BECAUSE YOUR OFFENDED

Reported.

laugh.gif
your tiny little perspective in this matter and ridiculous assumptions and assertions are truly PATHETIC.  You didn't even respond to any point I made in my post... instead, you just created and responded to an argument you wanted me to have made.

And I'm not even Muslim, smart guy
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom