IT Certifications?

Passed A+ today, both exams. Passed Network+ last week (Wednesday). Failed Security+ yesterday(Wednesday).

Studied for Network+ the most. Surprised I passed with the uncertainty I felt going thru test.

- Studied a day and half for Security+. Felt confident with my answers, thought I passed- but failed.

Went into retake the Security+ test(priority) before A+ Essentials & Practical. Crammed in a much as I could before which hurt me because when I tried to register, the system at Pearson Vue wouldn't accept me because it would put overlap with the A+(2-hour). The worker advised me to knock out A+ first and see if it will allow afterwards.

Took my time with the A+, which turned out to be a breeze.
Feeling good, I asked about Security+, and he said there would be no way I can take it since it was almost 2pm- the time they close. So taking my time with A+ hurt me also. I'm screwed.

P.S. - I did not study for A+. It was general knowledge to me I guess.

I called Pearson & Prometric and all nearby testing sites are either closed or fully booked tomorrow (Dec 31), with the exception of 1 in Santa Clara, which we phoned- went straight to an unprofessional voicemail.

My mind will not rest yet as there is still hope.

Passed A+ today, both exams. Passed Network+ last week (Wednesday). Failed Security+ yesterday(Wednesday).

Studied for Network+ the most. Surprised I passed with the uncertainty I felt going thru test.

- Studied a day and half for Security+. Felt confident with my answers, thought I passed- but failed.

Went into retake the Security+ test(priority) before A+ Essentials & Practical. Crammed in a much as I could before which hurt me because when I tried to register, the system at Pearson Vue wouldn't accept me because it would put overlap with the A+(2-hour). The worker advised me to knock out A+ first and see if it will allow afterwards.

Took my time with the A+, which turned out to be a breeze.
Feeling good, I asked about Security+, and he said there would be no way I can take it since it was almost 2pm- the time they close. So taking my time with A+ hurt me also. I'm screwed.

P.S. - I did not study for A+. It was general knowledge to me I guess.

I called Pearson & Prometric and all nearby testing sites are either closed or fully booked tomorrow (Dec 31), with the exception of 1 in Santa Clara, which we phoned- went straight to an unprofessional voicemail.

My mind will not rest yet as there is still hope.

i HATE Prometric

Last time i went, this lady kept walking around the room watching us..$+*% made me nervous
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by BdeaZy

Originally Posted by stylez23

A+ is a given if you know computers and Printers. I took the 2 exams a day apart and scored fairly high on both just skimming Mike Meyers A+ book... Then again I have my BS in Comp Sci.

I originally wanted to get my foot in the door to go towards the route of networking (network engineer), but then I got a job as a programmer so I stopped going for my N+. I think I'll try and get it this year as Comptia's lifetime certification ends this year... These 2 can also be used as electives for Microsoft's MCSA/MCSE cert.

what do you mean used as electives?
so what if you get it next year?

Originally Posted by BdeaZy

Originally Posted by stylez23

A+ is a given if you know computers and Printers. I took the 2 exams a day apart and scored fairly high on both just skimming Mike Meyers A+ book... Then again I have my BS in Comp Sci.

I originally wanted to get my foot in the door to go towards the route of networking (network engineer), but then I got a job as a programmer so I stopped going for my N+. I think I'll try and get it this year as Comptia's lifetime certification ends this year... These 2 can also be used as electives for Microsoft's MCSA/MCSE cert.

what do you mean used as electives?
so what if you get it next year?

Renew every 3 years, (continuing education)

Thing is, my career may change- it would be nice to have those certs that never expire no matter what I'm doin, they'd help.

Renew every 3 years, (continuing education)

Thing is, my career may change- it would be nice to have those certs that never expire no matter what I'm doin, they'd help.

In response to the OP question, if you can earn the A+ or any other certs. while in school, it wouldn't hurt anything and will look good on the resume.
Graduated in 2006, Associates Degree in Computer Programming, BS in BS, I mean, Computer Information Technology. Working in an I.T.  related job since 2001.  First yr in school I manage to work at the school computer labs... did basic desktop support type of work, basic troubleshooting, upgrades, etc.  The Director of Tech. Support at the school seen my work ethics and put in a good word for the job that would follow.  Since, I just worked hard and always moved up within or through recommendation/networking I move onto the next job... that's it. 

All that said, sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know or what can you do... just get your foot in the door (helpdesk/desktop support might be a good place to start, specially while in school) and just work hard.  I've taken jobs for less money in the past knowing I would later benefit from it... one step down, two steps up. 

Anyways, as for the Comptia certs. being for "noobs" or "entry" level, that might be true BUT I'm noticing many job postings are requiring these basic certs.  I currently have a potential opportunity lined up but with all the experience I have, with the great GPA, they asked me if I was A+ certified, and I had to say NO.  Wish I obtained my certs sooner BUT while in school, I was just too busy trying to pass my classes.  Once I graduated, "I needed a break" from studying and books, which by the way, in this field, you will always be in school/training class IMO.  Finally, once I really got more involved in the field, I just got "too busy" with work, life,  this or the other.  POINT IS... if you can do it now, do it!

I personally had a goal to earn my Comptia certs. this year (2010) and slacked off... around Nov. I man'd up (plus I read about the change in policy after 2011) and study for the Security + passed (3 weeks ago) and Network+ passed (yesterday)... really wish this year had more days and I would knock out the A+ too.   There's still one more day in 2010, maybe I'll give the A+ a shot tomorrow. 
laugh.gif

Congrats. to the homie above that posted they recently passed the certification exams.   If anyone has questions regarding study material or the exams feel free to PM.  I strongly recommend Professor Messer (free online) videos... pretty much all I used for my Network+ exam. 

Sorry for the long post, but this what I do for a living and just wanted to provide my personal expierence. 

In response to the OP question, if you can earn the A+ or any other certs. while in school, it wouldn't hurt anything and will look good on the resume.
Graduated in 2006, Associates Degree in Computer Programming, BS in BS, I mean, Computer Information Technology. Working in an I.T.  related job since 2001.  First yr in school I manage to work at the school computer labs... did basic desktop support type of work, basic troubleshooting, upgrades, etc.  The Director of Tech. Support at the school seen my work ethics and put in a good word for the job that would follow.  Since, I just worked hard and always moved up within or through recommendation/networking I move onto the next job... that's it. 

All that said, sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know or what can you do... just get your foot in the door (helpdesk/desktop support might be a good place to start, specially while in school) and just work hard.  I've taken jobs for less money in the past knowing I would later benefit from it... one step down, two steps up. 

Anyways, as for the Comptia certs. being for "noobs" or "entry" level, that might be true BUT I'm noticing many job postings are requiring these basic certs.  I currently have a potential opportunity lined up but with all the experience I have, with the great GPA, they asked me if I was A+ certified, and I had to say NO.  Wish I obtained my certs sooner BUT while in school, I was just too busy trying to pass my classes.  Once I graduated, "I needed a break" from studying and books, which by the way, in this field, you will always be in school/training class IMO.  Finally, once I really got more involved in the field, I just got "too busy" with work, life,  this or the other.  POINT IS... if you can do it now, do it!

I personally had a goal to earn my Comptia certs. this year (2010) and slacked off... around Nov. I man'd up (plus I read about the change in policy after 2011) and study for the Security + passed (3 weeks ago) and Network+ passed (yesterday)... really wish this year had more days and I would knock out the A+ too.   There's still one more day in 2010, maybe I'll give the A+ a shot tomorrow. 
laugh.gif

Congrats. to the homie above that posted they recently passed the certification exams.   If anyone has questions regarding study material or the exams feel free to PM.  I strongly recommend Professor Messer (free online) videos... pretty much all I used for my Network+ exam. 

Sorry for the long post, but this what I do for a living and just wanted to provide my personal expierence. 

^Congrats on the certifications, and in-tuned to your post- I 100% agree with you- from moving from ground-up, networking, school and experience. I started work for my school with similar job functions in 2006-07, and been cool with the instructors while working towards A.S. degree.

I am going all-out tomorrow to find an open testing center. I need that Security+!

^Congrats on the certifications, and in-tuned to your post- I 100% agree with you- from moving from ground-up, networking, school and experience. I started work for my school with similar job functions in 2006-07, and been cool with the instructors while working towards A.S. degree.

I am going all-out tomorrow to find an open testing center. I need that Security+!

professormessor.com is a really good source for videos on NET+ and A+

I am currently studying for CCNA hope to take it by the end of this month

Back
Top Bottom