IT Certifications?

Originally Posted by Rightguard

professormessor.com is a really good source for videos on NET+ and A+

I am currently studying for CCNA hope to take it by the end of this month

Is this for your job or do You have a job lined up?

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Get the A+ then get an entry level job.

You don't want to be that guy with 3894345 certs and 0 experience.
laugh.gif
This is the problem with these dudes. The IT industry is riddled with people that maintain an alphabet soup of certifications behind their name that don't understand the fundamentals of the material they're certified in.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Get the A+ then get an entry level job.

You don't want to be that guy with 3894345 certs and 0 experience.
laugh.gif
This is the problem with these dudes. The IT industry is riddled with people that maintain an alphabet soup of certifications behind their name that don't understand the fundamentals of the material they're certified in.

I am in the field now working helpdesk overseas. Currently I am working on MSCE. Take my Security+ and Network+ in Feb
smile.gif
I have books or at least PDFs on my iphone or iPad. It is all very informational but just study to understand and you should be fine. By that I mean try to figure out how everything gels. Also there is a lot of info online so stay connected.

I am in the field now working helpdesk overseas. Currently I am working on MSCE. Take my Security+ and Network+ in Feb
smile.gif
I have books or at least PDFs on my iphone or iPad. It is all very informational but just study to understand and you should be fine. By that I mean try to figure out how everything gels. Also there is a lot of info online so stay connected.

I am in no way shape or form downing a college degree, or certs. They are both VERY important, a college degree is what separates the "men" from the "boys". I call myself a boy because I don't have that college degree, but am currently perusing one. In the IT world, it isn't about "what you know, but who you know." Though I say what you know very loosely, because you have to know A LOT to get anything done in the IT world. I have been doing IT work going on 6 years now. I studied bits and pieces of it when I first went to school, but had to drop out and do rehab because of an accident. 
I have found that when applying for a job, which I've only had to do twice, the interviewee didn't ask any questions about my education, but questions only about my experience. What type of systems have you worked with? How many people have you supported? Do you know the basics of Exchange? If you had to add a user to a Security Group in AD, please tell me how you would go about doing that?

If you can prove to them that you want to obtain a position in a progressively innovative work environment, which allows you to use your assests as a self-starter and technical problem solver, they will not not hire you. Prove your worth, show you work hard and can get $%%% done. 

I am in no way shape or form downing a college degree, or certs. They are both VERY important, a college degree is what separates the "men" from the "boys". I call myself a boy because I don't have that college degree, but am currently perusing one. In the IT world, it isn't about "what you know, but who you know." Though I say what you know very loosely, because you have to know A LOT to get anything done in the IT world. I have been doing IT work going on 6 years now. I studied bits and pieces of it when I first went to school, but had to drop out and do rehab because of an accident. 
I have found that when applying for a job, which I've only had to do twice, the interviewee didn't ask any questions about my education, but questions only about my experience. What type of systems have you worked with? How many people have you supported? Do you know the basics of Exchange? If you had to add a user to a Security Group in AD, please tell me how you would go about doing that?

If you can prove to them that you want to obtain a position in a progressively innovative work environment, which allows you to use your assests as a self-starter and technical problem solver, they will not not hire you. Prove your worth, show you work hard and can get $%%% done. 

Originally Posted by neukicks

^ how much do you make, like a lot or not, don't need exact numbers? That's some of the exact +#$@ I do and I don't get paid +#$@. Everybody is REALLY nice to me though, really nice, but ##$! that pay me. I'm in for some GS9's and GS11's, but they just hire their friends regardless of qualifications and I know a lot of them too in charge of hiring but not on that type of level so it'll be difficult for me to get in those spots. It's bad when people who make 2 to 4 x more than me be calling me on the regular for help, to walk them through things.

^ how much do you make, like a lot or not, don't need exact numbers? That's some of the exact +#$@ I do and I don't get paid +#$@. Everybody is REALLY nice to me though, really nice, but ##$! that pay me. I'm in for some GS9's and GS11's, but they just hire their friends regardless of qualifications and I know a lot of them too in charge of hiring but not on that type of level so it'll be difficult for me to get in those spots. It's bad when people who make 2 to 4 x more than me be calling me on the regular for help, to walk them through things.

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

I make enough to live very comfortably. Thats what the job is all about man, you gotta help the people that do everything the company needs done. Yea, they may be the CEO and they can't figure out how to connect to the VPN, but thats the job. You gotta have the patience to help the people that are "smarter" than you are, the people that make the "big bucks", its the job man. It does suck, but you gotta work the position you are given.
IT Support can get you places, you have the chance to interact with the finance people, the sales people, the VP's, the GM's, the C level execs. Work those day to day interactions to get yourself into a bigger and badder position. Make friends with people, help them out, prove you worth, give them ideas. Gotta work the chance your given. 

I make enough to live very comfortably. Thats what the job is all about man, you gotta help the people that do everything the company needs done. Yea, they may be the CEO and they can't figure out how to connect to the VPN, but thats the job. You gotta have the patience to help the people that are "smarter" than you are, the people that make the "big bucks", its the job man. It does suck, but you gotta work the position you are given.
IT Support can get you places, you have the chance to interact with the finance people, the sales people, the VP's, the GM's, the C level execs. Work those day to day interactions to get yourself into a bigger and badder position. Make friends with people, help them out, prove you worth, give them ideas. Gotta work the chance your given. 

No, that's not what I meant. I meant other people who do the same job as me, as in other IT personnel. I was piggybacking off of how like I said, I'm not in the "in crowd," so I'm not getting these higher pay IT jobs despite the fact I am better than many of the kats who are as evidenced by the fact they always need my help. I have to "play the game" better reference work relationship with people in charge and how that relates to potential job placement and advancement in the future, but it's hard when you're 26 and everybody else is like 40-50 with prior Military service. That's a bond of common experiences that will always be hard to contend with, almost like a frat.  

No, that's not what I meant. I meant other people who do the same job as me, as in other IT personnel. I was piggybacking off of how like I said, I'm not in the "in crowd," so I'm not getting these higher pay IT jobs despite the fact I am better than many of the kats who are as evidenced by the fact they always need my help. I have to "play the game" better reference work relationship with people in charge and how that relates to potential job placement and advancement in the future, but it's hard when you're 26 and everybody else is like 40-50 with prior Military service. That's a bond of common experiences that will always be hard to contend with, almost like a frat.  

Ohhh, ok. I guess thats just another #*$#** part about the job, I have been through the same exact mess you have been. Office work, is politics. It sucks man, just step on toes, and make it to the top. 

Ohhh, ok. I guess thats just another #*$#** part about the job, I have been through the same exact mess you have been. Office work, is politics. It sucks man, just step on toes, and make it to the top. 

Originally Posted by BdeaZy

i work for the government now, been slacking....CCNA has been tough for me to study because of the lack of experience with commands.  In theory I am ready, but the commands is whats getting me!  I am in no rush to take the exam since it cost 250 so I want to take it when I am 100 percent sure.

i work for the government now, been slacking....CCNA has been tough for me to study because of the lack of experience with commands.  In theory I am ready, but the commands is whats getting me!  I am in no rush to take the exam since it cost 250 so I want to take it when I am 100 percent sure.

Experience is what separates the "men" from the "boys"..not a piece of paper.

Experience is what separates the "men" from the "boys"..not a piece of paper.

I swear sometimes the IT field is so discouraging, sometimes makes you wonder, whats the point of going to college for it smh

I swear sometimes the IT field is so discouraging, sometimes makes you wonder, whats the point of going to college for it smh

They have online sims with switches and routers you can use. I'll ask dude at work tomorrow. I'm in the military and been doing this for about 8 years and like everybody else in here said experience is king. CCNA is a good cert to get though. They sent us to get SEC+ and NET+ which was a huge waste of time, i passed both but i just watched bug fight videos on youtube the entire time lol. 

Back
Top Bottom