Iverson to the Pistons

Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

This really helps both teams, imo.

Denver gets a good PG now, plain & simple. They had Carter at point before, now they have someone who can score & run the offense.

With Detroit, they got the better end of the deal, imo, even though both sides did well.

Detroit gets a hungry superstar scorer now. AI plays better with vet players & this is the perfect situation for him. AI knows he has a better shot at a ring now, that'll definitly get him playing at that high level every night. Billups was more ladi back, you'll have much more energy from Iverson, especially now.

Also, AI doesn't necessarily have to look to get everyone involved. Even though Rip needs to be set up, Sheed & Tayshaun can get there own shots.

Both teams benifited from this deal I think though.
Not to mention that Iverson has 1 year left on his contract so if it doesn't work out with Detroit, they have cap room to go after Bosh,Lebron, etc

Originally Posted by FLINTGREY

What I am hearing is that the key to the deal for Dumars was Iverson's expiring contract, per his blog. He wants to make a run at Bosh and Joe Johnson next year. He wants his lineup to look like this:

PG stuckey
SG joe johnson
SF tayshaun
PF amir johnson
C bosh
laugh.gif
Every contract year we go through this... it wont happenwhy do you think we have O'neal?

My thoughts:

Their championship window is closing the team as it was currently constructed had reached their peak, they get a legit scorer to make one final run at a chipand then after that they have 22 mill in cap space to make a run at LOADED 2010 free agent class. Rodney Stuckey eventually replaces Bulliups when Iverson isgone and the rest of them dudes namely get moved for draft picks or younger talent.

Great trade, they can contend in the east this year and they have huge amount of money to play with next year.

Joe Dumars is brilliant...Sends Chauncy home happy and frees up his team's cap space for another championship run next year.

this was definitely a surprise... but now i think denver will reach the playoffs and win at least 2 games
laugh.gif

I heard Dana Longdong on 1st and 10 said she picks the Pistons in the conference finals now

Dumars way to pull the trigger for a real go to player in the clutch
pimp.gif
This is the type of team AI needed in his life! Hate to see Billups go! Its businessnever personal.

I am very surprised this went down this quick. Happy to see Iverson go to a contender.

THANK YOU Detroit, I knew something was about to happen with AI, and Billups is about the best we could've really gotten in a trade right now. Great forDenver, and I think positive for Detroit but we'll see. Stuckey/AI back court looks OK to me. I'm really glad I got $40 2nd row club level seats forthe Pistons/Nuggets game in Denver this year!

Originally Posted by maldonado

JR Smith bout to light it up

Yeah George CANNOT keep JR from starting now! Yes! Haha. Nene/Kmart/Melo/JR/BILLUPS?!? Thank you, basketball gods, you've answered my prayer for alegit PG, and quicker than I expected.

As a Iverson fan, I'm happy he's back with a legit contender. But as a Cavs fan I hate that he's back in the East.

The more I think about it, the more I love this deal for the Pistons....It's a win/win for Detroit no matter how you shake it. First of all, this move putsAI on a LEGIT title contender. We all know that dude goes 110% during games, and I could see him (at this point in his career) sacrificing the scoring in orderto be more a facilitator. Iverson WILL conform to the Pistons "team" concept. Iverson will know what's at stake and how this could be one of hislast chances to go deep in the playoffs. Second, this trade could light a fire under Sheed, seeing how he may be playing for one more contract after thisseason is up. His asking price could go skyward if there is a renewed dedication to the game showed on his part. The Pistons have a good 2-3 months to gel, andget everyone on the same page. This team should have no issues playing .600 or better ball until everyone gets confortable with their role(s).

For everyone calling Iverson a ballhog etc, how much of that did you hear about while he was in Denver? He's going into a great situation, and with histime running short, you could see some good PG play out of AI.

As it's been mentioned before, AI's and Sheed's contracts are coming off the books next season. I'm assuming both these guys have a little leftin the tank, so they will be playing at a high level to get one more deal before they hang it up for good. I really have my doubts about them being retained bythe Pistons, but Detroit is going to clear up a %%!% load of cap space in getting these contracts off the books. This is what "could" happen by thetime 2010 rolls around.....

Pistons could play lottery-level basketball in the 09-10 season, and get a top 13 pick in the 2010 draft. They will have a TON of cap space due to thecontracts they got rid of at the end of the 08-09 season. You let guys like Amir Johnson, Jason Maxiell, Aaron Aflalo, Rodney Stuckey, etc get some extensivePT with a lot of the other vets off the roster. This experience will help them going into the 2010 season, where 2 big names and mid-level dude could be addedto the Detroit roster. In essence, it could only be ONE year of rebuiliding in hopes of landing a Lebron, Dwayne Wade, etc. They will have the finances to doso. Pistons are in a great position right now. It's going to be interesting to see how all of this plays out over the next couple of seasons.

Just from reading some things, scoring wasn't an issue with detroit, they were the top team in the east in scoring the past few games and are second in theleague this year early on.

Figured that Dyess would be bought out and then would return in a month (if the reports are true out of Denvers front office)

Shock wore off now and now after reviewing the deal, it is still a win win but the billups contract may haunt denver later on.

frown.gif
I'm about to be in tears right now over losing Iverson.

But welcome home to Billups and McDyess.

Figured that Dyess would be bought out and then would return in a month (if the reports are true out of Denvers front office)
Why would Denver even do that? That's kinda dumb to me.

I think Mcdyess had to be included so the numbers work. (NBA trades have to have similiar contract money on both ends)

Let Detroit have him..

Back
Top Bottom