[| -- Jay-Z & Mary J Blige: The 2008 "Heart Of The City" Tour -- |]

Going to the Boston show tonight. I'll report back tonight. It seems like Bleek is a given. I wouldn't mind seeing What They Do with Freeway

Last night the Tour in Toronto.

The show was suppose to star @ 7:30 PM but there was no opening act, The Dream was the opener for the tour but got scrapped from the Canadian Shows. Usuallywhat they do here for big shows is they take out the opening act no matter how big the artist is and replace them with wack local acts. Last night theydidn't even do a replacement sooooo the show started @ 8:30, there was no announcement so people were chilling outside or int he councorse of the AirCanada Centre. All of a sudden around 8:30 I hear the beat to "Can't Knock The Hustle" I was tellingpeople the !+%@ was starting but dudes didn't believe me, one they heard Jay's voice everyone started sprinting to their seats like shots went off.

So the show started I was on the floor 5th row from the stage, I got to my seat during Hov's last verse of the song. There were people in my seat so whileSecurity was handling them I went to the front of the stage and was wildin' Hov left and Mary went into "Your All INeed" in which every street N' was throwing caps and going nuts at one point I thought Meth was going to come out because in my mind he hadnothing better to do.

She continued into "Real Love" and went into the Remix in which Jay came running back out and didB.I.G.'s verse.

Mary went on to do:

You Bring Me Joy
Mary Jane
Be Happy
I'm Going Down
MJB MVP (Hate It Or Love It Remix)
Feel Like A Woman
Stay Down
* Did a bit of Rufus "Sweet Thing".
Reminise
Your Remind Me
Not Gon' Cry
No More Drama
Your Child
Enough Cryin (which @ the beginning started off w/ The Clipse "Grindin" beat)
All Of Me
Just Fine

* She also did like about 4 tracks from the "Growing Pains" album but I'm terrible with the titles from that LP.

- When "I'm Going Down" came on
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
she didn't even do the song the whole crowd did the !+%@, heck even dudes.I'm always a fan of Mary's so I didn't care but you had them N's that swore they would keep a mean mug the whole night but they couldn'thelp they had to sing too.

- When "Not Gone Cry" came on she took the crowd to another level they did the whole song while she directedthem @ that point I was msgs cats like this is why she's The Queen! no questions asked.

- The height of the show was of course "No More Drama" in which at one point she was going into shock on thegorund jumping up and down, fully sweating hard she left it all out on that song and it wasn't even the last song.

- I was very shocked she did "Your Child" which was one of my personal favourite's @ the end she did aspeech about people taking care of their kids and that they don't care about your $$$$$, what you got NOTHING they just want your love.

- The beat for The Clipse "Grindin" came on and Mary did a set in which she was dancing with her dancers inwhich the crowd was hyper her up,eventually it led into "Enough Cryin".

She easily did over 20+ songs the only knock is that I felt she should have kept out a few of those tracks from "Growing Pains" becausepersonally she left off !+%@ that I was hoping to hear like "I Can Love You", "Love Is All We Need", "Everything", &"All That I Can Say".

Now going into Jay-Z <>.

(Just a warning I am a tough critic when it comes to Hov's shows since I've been to his past 2 shows here: '03 Roc The Mic, '99 Hard Knock LifeTour".)

I must give credit to the artists and the show because usually you would think there's an intermission but !+%@ flowed so well Hov came on like 5 minsafter, in between after Mary's set was done they showed video of Mary speaking about Jay and vise versa leading into Jay's set. Jay came out to the topof the elevated stage <>. in the air, red flames going off everywhere right into "Say Hello", he continued into tracks from A.G. which I didn't want.

His set:

"Roc Boys"
"I Know"
"Pray"
"Show Me What You Got"
"Jigga My %#%$!"
"U Don't Know"
"Dead Presidents"
"Can I Live"
"Excuse Me Miss"
"99 Problems"
"Jigga What, Jigga Who"
*"Dey Know" track dropped
*HIS DJ SET/TRACK SNIPPET WITH DJ NEIL ARMSTRONG
"Big Pimpin"
"Song Cry"
"Can I Get A"
"PSA"
"Dirt Off Your Shoulder"
"Izzo (H.O.V.A.)"
"I Just Wanna Love U"
"Beware Of The Boys"
"On The Rock"
"Encore"
"Heart Of The City"
"Your Welcome"

- I don't know how you can be a current fan and not know "Roc Boys" but people knew it and went nutsthat was probably the first time besides the opening that the Arena was OD loud he did the song in full.

- One moment Jay ended a song and called out Memphis Bleek in which shockingly to me the crowd was going ape. He'sbeen here since Sat and had a show but I didn't think T.O. would have given him the ovation he got when he came out. This ridiculous beat as playing in thebackground, one of those beats that you know something was about to GO DOWN. Bleek and Jay kept pacing back and forth talking to each other checking the crowdto see if they were alright, the beat kept building and building until probably one of the greatest Hip Hop tracks of all time all around "U Don't Know" came on and the whole ACC was in a riot, fireworks, explosives EVERYTHING went off. Dudes were jumpingin their chairs, I threw my hat across my row and walked away in disgust that moment was TOO ill.....him and Bleek did the song in full going into "99 Problems" which he also did in full w/ Bleek.

*MY RANT: How is Memphis Bleek your artist, your man you took out of your house since he was 14-15 years old and youdon't give him NO TIME to do a track, not even "Is That Your Chick" which was a regular is Jay's set. Bleek was on stage as Jay's hypemanfor 10 mins (2 songs) and left that was it, TOTAL disrespect especially after the ovation M-Easy got when he came out.

- For "Can I Live" as usual Hov asked where are the fans that have been down since Reasonable Doubt, ofcourse 60% lied and it was so obvious. That was one of the more quiet parts of the show since you can clearly see the crowd didn't know the words and thesewere cats that jumped up for his commercial !+%@. The same happened for "Dead Presidents" where in thebackground clips of the video played with of course the images of B.I.G., AZ, Dame, Biggs etc.

- His DJ set w/ Neil Armstrong was probably the best part outside of "U Don't Know" & "Can ILive". So walked up to the booth and took over the tables and wanted to see if the crowd knew these songs and to do it word per word, from what I rememberhe did..

"Feelin' It" (no one knew
smh.gif
)
"Ain't No.."
"Money, Cash.."
"Best Of Me"
"Go Grazy"
"What We Do.."
"Crazy In Love" (in which he apologized to B for skipping and saying "eff that")
"Bonnie & Clyde '03"
"Fiesta" Remix
"Hello Brooklyn 2.0"
"Lucifer"
"Money Ain't A Thing"

I was sooooo pissed he didn't do at least the first verse to most of those tracks, especially "What We Do". Anyways when he was done he wanted toparty heavy and drop something that was perfect but was fooling around and let the crowd that it wasnt ____ track or ___ track. _____ = one of those tracksabove I mentioned in which he would play a snippet quickly to get the crowd hype, anyways it let into "Big Pimpin".

- For "Song Cry" Mary came out from underground and sang the vocals, he did the song in full.
- "PSA" he did in full which was rare IMO the crowd was a riot for the first verse, quiet after.
- Jay had the sample on for "Izzo"in the background which led into the song.

- For Movado's "On The Rock" I was shocked he performed in the first place but then again Toronto isknown for it's HEAVY West Indian community so when it dropped no one knew the track except for the handful of fans that were going nuts including myself(gun finger in the airrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr).

- To end it Jay did "Encore" in full till the end in which as usual people started to leave and the HOVAchants came, the chants went on for like 5 mins ligths came back on and from the top of the elevated stage him and Mary came out to do "Heart Of the City" Mary came proper with the vocals. To end it off it finished with "Your Welcome" the crowd was actually real nuts for this track, at this point I realized if you get Swizz on your trackfor a right chorus the track will forever be great for a live crowd and this proved it, they did the song in full and ended the night.

Like most of the earlier reviews I thought Mary easily outshined Jay, Jay may take that cool approach a little too much because you can tell dude was lazy andthere was no theme or flow to his show, he'd go from an RD track back to AG it was weird. His show was ok, subpar to me. Compared to his shows I'veseen and all his performances and shows I have on DVD he seemed to coast through this. I especially thought he would come extra hard tonight because back in1999 he was the first act to perform/open the Air Canada Centre, and he hasn't been back to that venue until tonight.

I was also irked because the radio were saying Freeway & The Roots were here but they obviously weren't at the show. Like dude mentioned Ludacris &Mark Walhberg were in the crowd (both have been here for a month doing a movie). I would have figured since at one point Jay dropped "Dey Know" he would have brought Luda up to do the Remix or heck both of them do their verses from Missy's"One Minute Man" Remix.

Ah well since I was by the stage I have a lot of great pics/video I'll upload later on....

Sounds good?

I'm excited for April 26, Chicago???

Though is pissed Glow in The Dark Tour will be is AZ that day. Buying the ticket i just knew i was bout to get a Kanye/Jay performance!

Yall think somebody might come out for the Chicago show???

Chicago & NYC will be the best stops for both shows just for the ties with Roc-A-Fella History.

Originally Posted by DatCarolinaBoi

yall think i can bring my camera in? im going to the show on 4-5 in greensboro

Depends, last night they were allowed and everyone was shocked since that venue usually NEVER allows camera's people still snuck them in last nightbecause they didn't believe what security was saying.

Q You nearly killed my blackberry with the link to your relpy.
laugh.gif
Get atme on AIM later.

pimp.gif
I'm hyped for this.

Originally Posted by DiPlOmAt TDOt

Originally Posted by DatCarolinaBoi

yall think i can bring my camera in? im going to the show on 4-5 in greensboro

Depends, last night they were allowed and everyone was shocked since that venue usually NEVER allows camera's people still snuck them in last night because they didn't believe what security was saying.
any good camera sneeking techniques if they say no???

i'm thinking just throwing the camera in my chicks purse!

Originally Posted by DiPlOmAt TDOt

His set:

"Roc Boys"
"I Know"
"Pray"
"Show Me What You Got"
"Jigga My %#%$!"
"U Don't Know"
"Dead Presidents"
"Can I Live"
"Excuse Me Miss"
"99 Problems"
"Jigga What, Jigga Who"
*"Dey Know" track dropped
*HIS DJ SET/TRACK SNIPPET WITH DJ NEIL ARMSTRONG
"Big Pimpin"
"Song Cry"
"Can I Get A"
"PSA"
"Dirt Off Your Shoulder"
"Izzo (H.O.V.A.)"
"I Just Wanna Love U"
"Beware Of The Boys"
"On The Rock"
"Encore"
"Heart Of The City"
"Your Welcome"
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
he didn't do dead presidents at the NY show i was so mad about that.. im jealous now

Went to the show today at TD Bank Center in boston as the gentlemen above me stated mary j put her heart and soul into this concert while jay z justperformed!!! I like jay z but he's kinda boring on stage!! When I went to a kanye concert he was going in2 the stands and giving people daps!!! Hell evenpharrell was going crazy at lupos in providence bringing people on the stage dancing!! But hey its just jay z its not like its 2pac!!!

Dip Tdot I was a row behind you i guess (6th lol), I thought the 03 show as better, but it was cool to see MJB

Nice report tdot!
Got my tickets yesterday for when he's coming to Norway on the 23rd of June!
Can't wait!
happy.gif
Last time he was in Scandinavia was in 96.

Boston show was good...Only Memph Bleek came out as expected...The Dream was whack and lip-synced terribly and then tried to sing with his terriblevoice...I'm not a fan of Mary, but her voice really is amazing and she put on a great show (even though she was on stage kinda long)...Jay killed it asexpected...he did a lot of good stuff...it's funny how he can tell the crowd to pretty much do whatever the hell he wants them to do and they listen...theywere a lot of Roc's being tossed up...but nonetheless I was happy with the show, even though I wish Jay was on longer...and since this is Niketalk, I'dfigure I'd share what kicks he was rocking...for "Can't Knock the Hustle," I'm pretty sure he had on some black patent leather high topAF1's, then for the beginning of his set he had on some other black shoes that I couldn't figure out, then he came out with what looked like theLevi's Jordan I's...and he rocked the Millionaires for the end of the show...dude is fresh (then again I would be too if I was caking like him)

Ya Boston show was alright. The Dream was pathetic, but at least he was cool about. He knew nobody came to see him. I thought the live band was reallyimpressive.

went to boston show last night, was fairly impressed.
didn't it expect it to only be an 2 and a half hours with only half of it being jay, i figured he would be out there longer than mary
love marys voice, respect her as an artist, and like her song, but i didn't pay $125 bucks to see her for an hour and a half, although she is one hell of aperformer.
jay did a good job, would have liked it if he was out there for atleast another 20 minutes tho.

Wow I'm bitter and hating against all T.Dot NTers who made it. I went to the show back in 99 but couldn't make this one due to other commitments. Ihope Glow in the Dark is half as good. But damn, missed out on some epic stuff here.

diplomat...in regards to everything you said about toronto...one word....WOW...

.Cant wait for next month....CANNOT WAIT...

The funny thing is I think my breaking the show down in detail I got people hype, when I wasn't satisfied with Hov's performance. That "cool"approach comes off as lazy and not into his performances, also his shows usually have a flow or theme this time he was just going all over the place withtracks. Again I thought he was subpar if anything nothing spectacular except for "U Don't Know" when Bleek was out, P.S.A. & the DJ set.

Mary KILLED it like no other and I don't get what some of you expected she is also A HEADLINER so the time is going to be split up equally. People werestanding up during her whole set.....I'm pretty sure her set was longer than Jay's which was another thing that irked me.

RatherUnique - Did you see me? you stay on some MIA tip but to each their own, if you were behind me then I'mpretty sure I know who you are since the 6th row in my area was heavy dudes and only a few ladies.

^^ agreed. The crowd only really went ape when he did U Don't Know and PSA. Honestly, the energy level wasn't as high as I was expecting.

Because it seems as though he was rushing and wasn't into %$++.

Back
Top Bottom