Jay Z says 'My presence is charity', compares self to Obama in response to Harry Belafonte's critici

Bruh, this is the United Staes of America.

If we held our heroes to the scrutiny y'all are holding Hov to right now, then there would be no great Americans ever, no matter what they did.

I'm in the minority on this issue, but I honestly don't see it like that. 

A great artist speaks to you and inspires in a myriad of ways where it's not a reflection of their own narcissism. 

When I listen to Jay I get a heavy dose of that, and I'm just not with his overall message. 

There's tons of narcissism and self-reference in great art.

Try to get into the minds of the people you seem to be so much smarter and deeper than.

Just because he says things a certain way, doesn't take away from his overall message.

Martin said one thing, Malcolm said another thing, but they both had the same message.

There's a reason why Talib Kweli is still down with Kanye West. There's a reason why jay Z has Pimp C in between songs talking about how these young Black kids come from being kings in Africa and that we don't know our history.

Everything centers around business with this guy. But at the expense of what? 

The Jay Z success quip has been exhausted to death, and it doesn't help that his foray into the Sports world as an agent reinforces the stereotypes that we already have to grapple with. 

Either you're a rhymer or ball player. New avenues for success need to be explored, and Jay being this image for dudes in the hood to emulate is misleading. 

Misleading because if you follow his route you're more than likely gonna fall short. You know how many hustlers are holding on to the false hope of leaving the hood like Jay, and in the meantime they're trying to get the record deal, but completely ignoring the education process which provides a more solid foundation?
and how is it different then lets say the example given in Obama.... lets count how many AA who lived in the ghetto had to do whatever to survive and end up making it big...vs how many blacks have been the president of the U.S.A...

Lets see about 1 million to 1 literally. If anything Obama gives a false hope. 100's of millions of AA have walked this country for well over 100's of years and yet 1 made it to presidency. The odds are def in favor that a person can follow jayz route and make it, versus Obama route and end up like him.

That is if you mean literally in the sense of following their routes.

And if the whole Drug dealing thing means he cant be a role model

Then I better not hear a Malcolm X quote come from you.

You better not say **** about the racist *** Ghandi either.

MLK cheated on his wife so his presence cant be a charity either right?
Forget the absurd comparisons about drug dealing (aka poisoning your community) and cheating on your wife or being racist. Jay-Z has no business being compared to MLK, Ghandi or Malcolm X. He shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as those men. Those men changed history, despite their shortcomings. Those are three men who made a difference to literally billions worldwide. Only thing Jay has done is increase the sales of Tom Ford products. Does Ghandi being racist put a scar on his reputation? Absolutely. Does it take away the good he did for his community and the worldwide community? No. To even compare them is disrespectful in my opinion. This dude Jay compared himself to the first black president of the US. Then he even had the audacity to call his presence a "charity". I dont know whats worse, him saying these things or the dudes that cosign and empower him to make such absurd comments. The same dudes who empower Kanye's ego into calling himself Yeezus. The over-celebration of celebrities is becoming crazy. Im a fan of rap and Jay Z is top 5 dead or alive in my opinion, but thats all he is. A rapper. A rapper who makes millions off selling songs that remind his audience how rich he is. To compare him to those three men is laughable  

sorry of the rant came off as rambling

Last edited:
He's literally saying Obama doesn't have to do jack as a President to be successful because he provides hope just being the first black president figurehead.
But this is true.

No matter your personal opinions on Obama's presidency or whether he's a figurehead or not, for black kids everywhere the fact that he is the president is very symbolic and at least shows it's possible.

Same can somewhat be said for where Jay-Z was 20 years ago to now doing partnerships with Samsung, album commercials during the halftime of the NBA Finals, all that he's accomplished beyond music.

That's what he meant, he and Obama are symbolic.

That being said, for Jay-Z's case, I don't know if that is a substitute for being more socially active. As far as his music, it would be weird to hear him talk about social issues for more than a line or two at this point.

I see Belafonte's point and agreed with him. At where Jay is now, he needs to understand that he has an influence among young people. He throws in lines talmbout wearing Yankee hats and deading jerseys and fools be out here following his word. When you choose not to do more with the voice you have, you're going to get backlash from those who have done it. What's worse is that Jay is aware of his influence and doesn't do much. This is the reason why I say he's massively overrated by people. I enjoy his music but it's hollow to me, I can't explain it, it's always been this way, but that's how I feel.

Of course he's giving hope just like Obama is giving hope.

I'm 26 years old and I grew up saying, thinking, and living like there would never be a black president.  Obama is black according to the one drop rule and is now currently the president of the United States. The President is ALWAYS nothing more than a figure head but the fact that the figurehead happens to have some melanin is a symbol of hope.  

If you can't see S. Carter as an inspiration and the physical manifestation of hope either you are ignorant of who Jay-Z is or just a hater.  He is literally showing young black dudes from the hood they can make major moves, maintain their identity and make a positive difference in the world. If you would prefer him to deny the live he's lived and remove his ability to relate to people going through similar problems, feelings and issues as him then you should probably just keep listening to whatever it is you're listening to and ignore J.

The percentage who don't get it is larger than the percentage who do. Check yourself, what percentage are you?
How is he showing them? He started off as a dope dealer turned rapper turned business-man. The average hood rapper trying to emulate Jay Z's success is going to fail miserably. So based on the Jay-Z success plan, how is he showing anyone how to get out of the hood and become successful? He didn't finish school nor go about his success in any traditional way. So enlighten my fellow Jay-Z haters and I how Jay Z gives inspiration to the average hood-booger with dreams of wealth.

Exactly beh...Jay could do so much more man. 

I'll leave it at that. He's not moving me at all, and I gave MCHG a run for a sec, but it's now fallen on deaf ears. 

This guy is talking about Tom Ford, but could you imagine what he could be bringing awareness to if he touched on something that was really meaningful?

But this is true.

No matter your personal opinions on Obama's presidency or whether he's a figurehead or not, for black kids everywhere the fact that he is the president is very symbolic and at least shows it's possible.

Same can somewhat be said for where Jay-Z was 20 years ago to now doing partnerships with Samsung, album commercials during the halftime of the NBA Finals, all that he's accomplished beyond music.

That's what he meant, he and Obama are symbolic.

That being said, for Jay-Z's case, I don't know if that is a substitute for being more socially active. As far as his music, it would be weird to hear him talk about social issues for more than a line or two at this point.
Jay never was that guy, but at this point in his life, mid 40's do something that's real. Instead of shouting out the next label as a product pitch, do something that goes beyond capitalism. 

Here we have a black man who is the most ardent capitalist that I've ever known in history. 

Not even cool.

How is he showing them? He started off as a dope dealer turned rapper turned business-man. The average hood rapper trying to emulate Jay Z's success is going to fail miserably. So based on the Jay-Z success plan, how is he showing anyone how to get out of the hood and become successful? He didn't finish school nor go about his success in any traditional way. So enlighten my fellow Jay-Z haters and I how Jay Z gives inspiration to the average hood-booger with dreams of wealth.
You get my point. 

Yea...education in the typical sense is a swindle.  JayZ is successful because he decided to take control of his own career when the powers that be were not interested in giving him any shine.  He parlayed his rap career into being part owner of the Nets and now a sports agent intent on making sure athletes keep their money instead of going broke after 3-4 years.  Our complete world views are different and it's very likely we will never agree as a result of that. We need to start having more black owned businesses like Rocafella Records...He did it himself, provided a blueprint and is actually helping others set their lives up for success with his endeavors as a sports agent. 

In my opinion, you are never going to truly rise in today's America by educating yourself on how to be the best order follower.  You're going to have to assess your own situation, find a niche you can fill and execute your plan to achieve success and ultimately make a difference in society.  Who said it couldn't be done? If it's been done by 1, it can be done by others. The odds were already against us being born black in America.

And he's never glorified the lifestyle he lead.  He always put the full spectrum of emotions and reality into his music. Pain/pleasure sweet/sour etc. If you ignored it or it doesn't relate to you that's cool but me and others relate to and recognize Obama and Jay-Z as symbols of hope despite their flaws because we are flawed and hope to better our lives.
Then what did he do to that black owned business?

Exactly beh...Jay could do so much more man. 

I'll leave it at that. He's not moving me at all, and I gave MCHG a run for a sec, but it's now fallen on deaf ears. 

This guy is talking about Tom Ford, but could you imagine what he could be bringing awareness to if he touched on something that was really meaningful?

He doesn't move me much either in that way. I was just thinking about this to myself the other day. You rap about coming from nothing and being where you are, but what about revealing the real blueprint behind how you got there? Granted he's not obligated to do so, but yet through his music he claims that's what he's about. Let's say you take an average kid from Bed Stuy and he listens to you talking about not popping Molly and rocking Tom Ford. Chances are, he has no idea what the **** you're talking about. The beat is hot and you Hov, that's all he cares about. There's no real message in that. Watching him in recent years, I believe he's nothing more than a troll and no different than any other person who is out to make money doing what he does.

But this is true.​

No matter your personal opinions on Obama's presidency or whether he's a figurehead or not, for black kids everywhere the fact that he is the president is very symbolic and at least shows it's possible.​

That's what he meant, he and Obama are symbolic.​

if Obama doesn't do jack for black people in this country or in general lower to middle class, but black kids and other Americans grow up with the hope in this man as a leader and an icon, is that okay? Is it better to maintain the fantasy of Obama the Great if in reality he only serves the interests of the corporate elite? If Jay Z only uses his power as a celebrity to serve himself, is it okay to continue to encourage kids to look up to him?

But this is true.​
No matter your personal opinions on Obama's presidency or whether he's a figurehead or not, for black kids everywhere the fact that he is the president is very symbolic and at least shows it's possible.​
That's what he meant, he and Obama are symbolic.​
if Obama doesn't do jack for black people in this country or in general lower to middle class, but black kids and other Americans grow up with the hope in this man as a leader and an icon, is that okay? Is it better to maintain the fantasy of Obama the Great if in reality he only serves the interests of the corporate elite? If Jay Z only uses his power as a celebrity to serve himself, is it okay to continue to encourage kids to look up to him?
Yes.

The average child doesn't know anything about what you just said, even if Obama is purely a symbol to black kids that a black man can be president, that's completely fine. Your, or anyone else's political opinions don't really matter.

Jay-Z is also not obligated to raise your children, but like I said before, just the symbol of where he was 20 years ago and where he is now is enough.

Yes.

just the symbol of where he was 20 years ago and where he is now is enough.
people are praising the symbol of joining the illuminati?

alot people would not have jobs or careers without help so I don't know how the same stuff gonna be possible later

Last edited:
The fact is that some people are going to ride or die with their favorite rap artists NO MATTER WHAT.
It doesnt matter what you say, or how you say it. Because in this day in age you just cant tell anybody, anything.
If its not coming from Jay's mouth, they dont want to hear it. Even when its coming from Jay's mouth, they dont wanna hear it. :lol:

If Im listening to a song and 90% of it is about hustling, and maeterialism and then the artists throws in 2 or 3 lines about social issues,
that song is about hustling and materialism. The lines about social issues are just as invisible as "up to," in the phrase "win up to 1 billion dollars"

That just about desrcibes Jay-Z's entire catalog. And the sad part is he is still talking about street life when he clearly doesnt live it anymore.And hasnt lived it in several years. So what is the point of talking about it at this point? How is he helping black people by still talking about hustling?How is he inspiring hope by glorifying hustling? And how does being a braggert = inspiring someone to believe that they can also make it? How does me knowing what kind of watch he wears help any poor kid out of the ghetto?

By that example EVERY SINGLE rich person should be looked up to. No matter what they did to get there.
Because it doesnt matter what they did in their past, all we should look at is how successful they currently are.

Jay-Z should NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER, be mentioned with great men like MLK, Malcolm X, and even Obama.
His impact has had no where near the effect as those men. It would be one thing if he was giving out actual tips on how to become successful.
But I doubt he would sell record if he was talking about investment opportunities, or the practices of good busnessmen, or how to network on a corporate scale,or how to build credit, or how to close major deals, or the proper channels for setting up business meetings, or how to market a product, or how to keep a business schedule, or how to manage a large team of people, or how to take over a busines, or even how to start a business. Where are all the business tips since you are such a good businessman?

But does he do that? NO! Its all look at me, and dont forget my street cred because I used to do this and that.
Oh wait a minute, let me drop some occasional knowledge in a line or 2.
Ok, now that that's over, back to me, and more me, and in case you missed it the first times a little more about me.

Last edited:
no disrespect to rell because i know for sure you one of the college educated blk men on NT but bellafonte under the illuminati act bruh jay is a hero idc what you think
still that comment is lol "i am living charity" but he give and have gave back id be disrespected too

Back
Top Bottom