Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

A little background: I'm a retail store manager/manager trainer. I've been with my company for 5 years and started as a sales associate. I now run the 3rd highest volume store in my district out of 20 stores. My boss is new to this company. He got hired as a DM about a month ago.

Anyway, my boss comes in and pretty much tells me he's moving me down to the lowest volume store in the district. My store is worth about 2.5 million. This store is only worth 350K. I ask him his reasoning and he told me he feels like I've plateaued as a leader where I am because the store is always so busy and I need to be at a store where I can spend more one on one time with my staff. He also told me I can either follow his advice and move or stay where I am, remain stagnant, and eventually get let go. I ask him what's going to happen to my store and he tells me he hasn't thought that far ahead yet. I decide to look through applications today AND I SEE SOMEBODY APPLYING FOR MY POSITION AT MY STORE 3 DAYS AGO AND MY BOSS IS ALREADY RUNNING THE BACKGROUND CHECK ON HIM. :smh: Keep in mind, I'm considered one of the best managers in my district. My team was number 1 in sales gains 10 weeks in a row! Not only is this dude gonna move one of his best to the lowest store in the district, he's gonna bring somebody brand new to run the 3rd highest volume store and lie to his face about it! :smh: No, I'm not mad. I am LIVID.

A little background: I'm a retail store manager/manager trainer. I've been with my company for 5 years and started as a sales associate. I now run the 3rd highest volume store in my district out of 20 stores. My boss is new to this company. He got hired as a DM about a month ago.

Anyway, my boss comes in and pretty much tells me he's moving me down to the lowest volume store in the district. My store is worth about 2.5 million. This store is only worth 350K. I ask him his reasoning and he told me he feels like I've plateaued as a leader where I am because the store is always so busy and I need to be at a store where I can spend more one on one time with my staff. He also told me I can either follow his advice and move or stay where I am, remain stagnant, and eventually get let go. I ask him what's going to happen to my store and he tells me he hasn't thought that far ahead yet. I decide to look through applications today AND I SEE SOMEBODY APPLYING FOR MY POSITION AT MY STORE 3 DAYS AGO AND MY BOSS IS ALREADY RUNNING THE BACKGROUND CHECK ON HIM.
mean.gif
Keep in mind, I'm considered one of the best managers in my district. My team was number 1 in sales gains 10 weeks in a row! Not only is this dude gonna move one of his best to the lowest store in the district, he's gonna bring somebody brand new to run the 3rd highest volume store and lie to his face about it!
mean.gif
No, I'm not mad. I am LIVID.
You have reason to be mad. He demotes you without any warning? Not even offering advice and/or training to groom you as a "better leader?" Sounds shady. I bet if you stalk your new boss' facebook, you'll find that new dude he's hiring on his friend list
laugh.gif

Anyways, sorry to hear bro. I just got laid off. So be thankful you at least have a job. There's people out there with nada. I know it's all relative to one's own situation but you catch my drift...

You have reason to be mad. He demotes you without any warning? Not even offering advice and/or training to groom you as a "better leader?" Sounds shady. I bet if you stalk your new boss' facebook, you'll find that new dude he's hiring on his friend list :lol:

Anyways, sorry to hear bro. I just got laid off. So be thankful you at least have a job. There's people out there with nada. I know it's all relative to one's own situation but you catch my drift...
He says with a store as slow as the one I'm being moved to, me and him can spend more "one on one" time together instead of constantly dealing with customers and having to clean up whatever mess the customers leave. Whatever.

It also sucks because I built this store and my team from the ground up when I first came in. Then he's just gonna take it away from me and give it ti somebody new? Nah man, that just doesn't sit well with me. I just have this relationship with my team and they told me straight up: if I leave, they leave.

Last edited:
He says with a store as slow as the one I'm being moved to, me and him can spend more "one on one" time together instead of constantly dealing with customers and having to clean up whatever mess the customers leave. Whatever.

It also sucks because I built this store and my team from the ground up when I first came in. Then he's just gonna take it away from me and give it ti somebody new? Nah man, that just doesn't sit well with me. I just have this relationship with my team and they told me straight up: if I leave, they leave.
So let the staff walk. They most likely need a job so that won't happen. My last job I had a very successful book of business but over time I got bored and said let me work on the area of the business that is not seeing nearly as many sales. This was not retail but I started at nothing and built the other area of the business up. I felt accomplished , which is just as important as more money and commissions to be satisfied at work. So take on the new store build it up and you will show your company how valuable you are and it should lead to a future promotion or a great opportunity on the outside.

Quote:

"One on one" time? What does that even mean? He want the @Foamposite XI yambs?
laugh.gif

While I would be pissed too, think of this as a potential opportunity. Also, will your pay / salary be the same or is that getting downgraded?

I honestly never had to use the benefits of my current job (dental, health care, etc.). Give me cold hard cash every time.

I was the same way, and know plenty of people with that same logic..............but trust me when something happens, you will not regret having good benefits/insurance.

This is common with a lot of people our age but trust when youre older/married/children benefits and insurance DO MATTER. Maybe right now it is no concern but trust money is just money dont take benefits and health for granted.

http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0310/top-5-reasons-people-go-bankrupt.aspx

I assume most people know this but the number 1 reason should not be a shock...................

Last edited:
Quote:

"One on one" time? What does that even mean? He want the @Foamposite XI
yambs? :lol:

While I would be pissed too, think of this as a potential opportunity. Also, will your pay / salary be the same or is that getting downgraded?
My salary will stay the same.

It also blows my mind he had the balls to threaten my job. "Follow my advice or stay where you are, remain stagnant, ans eventually get let go." :x

Last edited:
My salary will stay the same.

It also blows my mind he had the balls to threaten my job. "Follow my advice or stay where you are, remain stagnant, ans eventually get let go." :x

Time to update your resume and start sending it out lowkey.

Basically. As soon as you know your superior is willing to let you go, that's a sign to be proactive. I would roll with whatever he's doing for the sake of keeping these checks coming in.
And when you get your new gig, just say, "I followed your advice and didn't want to stay stagnant" and hit him with a :stoneface:

I'm sure these last few years have allowed you to add some good resume builders too. Time for a better opportunity.

Last edited:
Basically. As soon as you know your superior is willing to let you go, that's a sign to be proactive. I would roll with whatever he's doing for the sake of keeping these checks coming in.
And when you get your new gig, just say, "I followed your advice and didn't want to stay stagnant" and hit him with a :stoneface:

I'm sure these last few years have allowed you to add some good resume builders too. Time for a better opportunity.

Would never in a millions years let somebody talk to me like that in any type of situation. Some of the stuff you guys let people say to you on these jobs is insane.

You have to remember you are also providing a service to your employeer. Also be looking for other opportunities and a way to raise the bar for yourself. Never be satisfied with medicore pay/situation that doesn't benefit YOU!

Last edited:
What's everyone throughts on career fairs outside of a University environment?

They generally suck. Most don't even really want to hire, they just go to promote the company, pass out free pens, pads, etc. and give you advice on how to improve your resume.

How yall feel about working thru a job agency???

The way hiring is now, they are almost essential especially with the field you may specialize in. There are positives and negatives to working with one though; more negative in my experience. You're just a number to them because the quicker a client gets the position filled they get a commission so you'll often be solicited for jobs you don't have experience for.

Just today, a recruiter emailed me from Indeed and used someone else's name instead of mine on the greeting in addition to his letter being rife with spelling errors. It was clear I wasn't the only one he contacted about this role. I looked past the unprofessionalism and called the firm. I was hung up on twice and the third time I called I was transferred to someone else's answering machine. Safe to say I wont be working with them. The good recruiters really set themselves apart and you'll know it immediately if you have previous experience with agencies.

I hate when you apply to one job at a time, you get no calls, but if you apply to several jobs at the same time, all of a sudden they all want to call around the same time. Then you have to stress and get busy with all these interviews so close together, and don't know who will call you back up and can't decide whether you will do the other interview if the previous interviews you thought did so well.

Any tips on looking for a job while you already have a full-time job?

Having trouble finding time :/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom