Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

That's exactly what you need to say bro. Say it's due to on foreseen circumstances, that you are sorry, and hope that still keep you in mind for future opportunities.

Hoping this is a result of you finding something better. I took a promotion at my old firm and quit working month for a much better job.

Had an interview for over 1HR30 2 weeks ago and they said they would be reaching out this week (not last week, everyone was out of the office on their end) but nothing yet :wow:

I feel your plain fam, **** gets old. :smh: :smh: :smh:

I have to renege on a signed offer (at-will employment) and haven't started the job yet. I intend to call them and say I cannot take the position due to unforseen circumstances. Is there anyway to go about this in a better way e.g. formal letter without going into detail?
Make sure your other gig is locked down tight before you renege on this one.

I have to pass background check and they'll offer the official contract. I'd rather tell them now since my original position starts in a week.
Make sure your other gig is locked down tight before you renege on this one.
Consider the possible scenarios:

1.) You renege on the original gig

2.) You don't pass this other background check

3.) You're left with nothing

Also, when is this new gig gonna start? I'd personally start the original gig, get everything completed with the new gig (background check, salary, etc.), and then quit the original gig.

Last edited:
Hey there guys. Sorry to hear about your frustrations. I wanted to help any way I could. While getting into federal job is a process and is hard I wanted to share some tips I got from my VA office. I hope this helps.

CREATING A USA JOBS ACCOUNT PROCEDURES

1. Go to USAJobs.gov
2. At the top of the page on the right, click on “create an account”
3. On the Welcome page, enter your Primary E-mail address, Confirm Primary E-mail address and Username (not case sensitive)
4. The “Thank You” page will prompt you to go to your e-mail for the link back to USA Jobs for Password creation
5. In your mailbox, you will see the USA Jobs link that says “Confirm your USA Jobs Account”
6. Click on the link; it will take you directly to USA Jobs
7. Answer the Password Security Questions
8. Complete the Profile (fill in everything with a red asterisk)

ENTERING DOCUMENTATION TO USA JOBS ACCOUNT

To ensure all documentation is uploaded to account:
1. Gather your resume, DD-214, complete OF-306 (Declaration for Federal Employment) if not a current employee
2. For current or former federal employees, also have SF- 50 for proof of current or former government appointment
3. To claim 10-point preference, have your most current Disability Award Letter and fill out SF-15 (Application for 10 Point Preference)
4. If you have college transcripts or relevant certifications, have them ready to be uploaded
5. Scan the DD-214, Disability Award Letter, signed OF-306, any college transcripts and certifications to be sent to your e-mail.
6. Save to your Saved Documents to be uploaded
7. Go to My Account, click on Resume
8. You can build a new resume or upload one from your saved documents into the resume portion of your US Jobs account
9. To upload required documents from your saved documents
a. Click on the box to reveal which documents to upload
b. The box should show DD-214, OF-306, SF-15, Transcripts and Veteran Other
c. For the Disability Award Letter, and Certifications, click on Other or Veteran Other
d. Type in the name of document to be uploaded\
e. Click on Browse, screen will display your saved documents
f. Click on PDF or Word document to upload
g. Click Open, screen goes back to the saved documents page of USA Jobs
10. To upload resume from your saved documents:
a. Click on Upload New Resume
b. Enter resume name
c. Click on Browse, screen will go to your saved documents
d. Click on PDF or Word document to upload
e. Click Open, screen goes back to resume page of USA Jobs
f. Click Upload, resume posts to the account
g. Check resume by clicking view; click yellow bar on bottom to open resume

11. To build a new resume:
a. Click on Build New Resume
b. Enter a name for the resume
c. Click continue
d. Click Add Work Experience
e. Fill in all required fields

Remember, the resume MUST be uploaded into your USA Jobs account before you can get into the Application Manager!!!

12. Go back to My Account, click on Saved Documents
13. Remember to read the instructions at the top of the page referring to documents to upload
14. Follow the same procedures to upload as with the resume
15. After everything is uploaded, go to the top of the page, type in the zip code (23667 for the VA), and click search
16. When you reach the job you want to apply for, click Save Job
17. Click Apply Online
18. The screen will bring up two back-to-back small windows; click on them both and the page will go blank
19. Go to the top of the blank page and click on the “A”. That will take you to the Application Manager
20. Answer all questions
21. Click submit
22. Right click to print Confirmation Page
23. Go back to View/Print Answers
24. Right click to print answers

Things to remember:
Note: You may print the answers before you submit the questionnaire. This will allow you to adjust your resume to the answers on the questionnaire. To do this, you must go back into your original documents to find the resume to adjust. This must be done because although it will say that you can edit the resume from the USA Jobs resume screen, you really cannot. Adjust the resume accordingly and upload it into the resume section of your USA Jobs account. Delete the old resume and click on Make Searchable for the new resume so that this is the resume that will be reviewed.

Creating or Editing the Federal Resume
A. The resume must contain in the Objective: a. the Announcement Number, b. Job Title and c. the Series and Grade of the position.
B. US Citizenship, and if applicable, Veterans Preference Points (5 or 10) at the top.
C. List the skills only using bullets
D. Each job listed must have the your position title, name of the company, city and state the job was located, month and year job began and ended, number of hours worked per week, supervisors name and phone number (if possible), and the pay.
E. The duties must be explained in paragraph form, not bullets.
F. Be very descriptive in listing your duties.
G. List all accomplishments.
H. List all education and certifications with cities, states and dates of completion.

I hope this helps a bit!

The crazy thing is that his post could be even longer, as helpful as of is (Repped for the insight btw). Applying for a federal job is like pulling teeth. It takes like two hours to apply I swear.

Last edited:
new gig starts soon as I pass clearances (1-2 weeks). I haven't secured housing yet either. I'm in the mental health field and rather not initiate relationships with clients and have to quit my first week. I'll wait for the official contract nonetheless before resigning.

Consider the possible scenarios:

1.) You renege on the original gig
2.) You don't pass this other background check
3.) You're left with nothing

Also, when is this new gig gonna start? I'd personally start the original gig, get everything completed with the new gig (background check, salary, etc.), and then quit the original gig.

The crazy thing is that his post could be even longer, as helpful as of is (Repped for the insight btw). Applying for a federal job is like pulling teeth. It takes like two hours to apply I swear.
the last federal job i applied and interviewed for was 3 years at the Library of Congress for a Legislative Analyst position, the application took a good four hours...

the KSA portion was insane, i wrote no less than three paragraphs per question (8 or 9 of them)...

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a pain. But if you endure and you're hired...It was worth it lol.

Can somebody tell me what week 2 means? There is a waiting period for your first EDD payment?
[table][tr][td]
Week 1 Certification Status  
Excessive Earnings  for week ending 05/07/2016
[/td][/tr][tr][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]
Week 2 Certification Status  
Waiting Period Served  for week ending 05/14/2016
[/td][/tr][/table]

@yung16  You the plug for the Fed jobs 
nerd.gif

I've been applying and I will not give you that work on the court if you can give me some pointers on my direction.

J/P but just holla at me dude plus what's your plans for the weekend are you going back home?

so i got "disqualified" from unemployment benefits :smh: they provided a reason, however, im still confused. what did i do wrong? i mean...the job i got laid off from only let me work 30hrs when i started, yet other employees were working 40hrs.
"Reasoning and Findings
Because of your attendance at training or school for a fixed period of time, you are available for work only during a specific timeframe of hours. It is determined that such timeframe is too restrictive to meet the availability requirements of the Law. The hours you have restricted your availability for work to part time availability. Therefore you are subject to disqualification under the above-cited section of the Law. "

im trying to appeal this anyways

Yes, Im still a student (current summer break until the fall semester) and was working at the same time up until May 6 2016. Which was when i got laid off

^ Not sure how it works, but are you eligible for them if you're not working a full-time job (40 hours) / still a student?

^ Not sure how it works, but are you eligible for them if you're not working a full-time job (40 hours) / still a student?
im not even sure if im eligible to be honest. I mean, i dont see why not? The company only gave me 30hrs to work. I wanted 40. I was going to school part time at the time and still a student.

To be eligible to collect, you would have to be laid off by the company. Which I was in this case, so im just not comprehending the reason why I'd be disqualified. I appreciate your help

im not even sure if im eligible to be honest. I mean, i dont see why not? The company only gave me 30hrs to work. I wanted 40. I was going to school part time at the time and still a student.

To be eligible to collect, you would have to be laid off by the company. Which I was in this case, so im just not comprehending the reason why I'd be disqualified. I appreciate your help
Look up the unemployment benefit eligibility rules in your state. It varies from state to state.

Accepted a job offer at the beginning of May and start training tomorrow.

However, I interviewed for a Probation Officer job two weeks ago and it went really well. It's a job that I really want. They said they won't know anything until the beginning of June due to the amount of interviews and the state budget.

So I guess I'm going to start training for the job I accepted and then just play the waiting game for the second? Hate the timing.

I also have recall rights to the job I was laid off from meaning they can't hire anyone else until they rehire me. This lasts for 10 years.

Seems like NOTHING happened in the 7 months I was laid off, now all of the sudden I have to juggle three
mean.gif
laugh.gif

Questions:

Leadership

Describe your problem-solving approach
  • Describe a 3 pronged approach to problem-solving.
  • Ask questions to understand the problem
  • Conduct analysis to research possible solutions
  • Select a path based on the probability of achieving the most beneficial outcome.
  • Provide an example of when you’ve used this approach
If you could choose one thing to do over again, what would you choose and why?
  • Recognize that leaders learn from failures
  • Describe a failure and the impact it had on a team
  • Explain what you learned from the event and how you altered your leadership skills accordingly
Describe a time when you went above and beyond the call of duty
  • Define what you did
  • Detail how it was an unexpected form of leadership
  • Explain the result and what you learned from it
Where do you see yourself in five years?
  • Provide a meaningful, realistic vision
  • Explain how your vision will motivate you to achieve a personal, professional or academic goal
  • Ensure that your example aligns with the firm’s interests as well
Tell me about an accomplishment you are proud of.
  • Select an accomplishment that proved difficult to achieve
  • Explain how you overcame the challenge
  • Describe why you feel proud of this accomplishment
Why should we hire you for this position?
  • Explain why the position interests you
  • Describe what you will bring to this role
  • Offer insight that shows you understand something unique about the company
When have you had competing demands on your time and how did you handle them?
  • Define the time commitments you faced.
  • Detail how you prioritized your time
  • Explain your reasoning for prioritizing your time the way you did.
What personal traits make you stand out for this role?
  • Discuss stories that reveal a track record of success.
  • Use this as an opportunity to highlight strong leadership capabilities
Tell me about yourself.
  • You are a leader: provide a specific example
  • You are a hard worker: talk about your goals and accomplishments
  • You are passionate about the role: express your enthusiasm about the job
  • Pick three leadership examples from your resume and briefly elaborate on them
Whom do you admire and why?
  • Heads Up: The reason is more important than the person
  • Select a person who exemplifies solid leadership
  • Explain how the person leads, learns and teaches
  • Talk about how these skills will be useful for the position to which you are applying
Teamwork

What have you done to build strong teams?
  • Highlight an instance where you led a team to victory
  • Describe the environment before and after you took a leadership role
What type of team allows you to thrive professionally?
  • Talk about how you understand that you’ll be working with a variety of people
  • Stress that you thrive in an environment that rewards both individual and group accomplishments
How have you handled a difficult working relationship?
  • Describe the difficult relationship(Be sure to keep a positive attitude)
  • Explain how you handled the relationship
  • Talk about what you learned from the experience.
What type of work environment do you prefer?
  • Understand the firm’s current work environment
  • Explain why you’ll fit in the company’s culture
  • Detail your successes in similar environments
Fit

How would you describe your ideal job?
  • Understand the responsibilities of the job for which you are interviewing
  • Discuss the aspects of this job that make it ideal for you now
  • Highlight your desire to work within the company’s culture as well as within the specified role
How would your friends describe you?
  • Understand the firm’s corporate culture
  • Provide examples explaining that your friends describe you in ways that match the company’s values
  • Conclude with a personal observation about the company and state that you would be a good fit at the firm
What is your greatest weakness?
  • Talk about a skill you would like to develop
  • Share an example of how you are already working on strengthening this area.
What is your greatest strength?
  • Highlight a proven skill
  • Relate how it is important to the role you are seeking.
  • Be proud, not arrogant
  • Communication
What attracted you to this position?
  • Answer honestly
  • Explain how this position allows you to pursue a personal passion

Had a good 1 hour 45 min interview yesterday and recruiter hit me up today telling me theyre putting together an offer for me. Still waiting for a response from the bank that I interviewed for last week. Another recruiter hit me up today and set me up for an interview at a hospital.  Hoping to get the latter 2 to send me offers. Nice to have choices.

Last edited:

Had a good 1 hour 45 min interview yesterday and recruiter hit me up today telling me theyre putting together an offer for me. Still waiting for a response from the bank that I interviewed for last week. Another recruiter hit me up today and set me up for an interview at a hospital.  Hoping to get the latter 2 to send me offers. Nice to have choices.
Congrats, but nothing's confirmed until that first paycheck hits your bank account.

Keep pushing.

Back
Top Bottom