Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Nice. This info is very helpful.

Worst traffic in the nation?!?!?!? :rolleyes  I thought that went to Los Angeles.

Any other info or suggestions would be helpful! Thanks.

Dang forgot about LA, yeah its considered number 2 right after LA. But any questions feel free to ask. I live in Maryland currently which is like 40 minutes from Fairfax(why its named DMV). Will you be taking a government job or regular job?

Dang forgot about LA, yeah its considered number 2 right after LA. But any questions feel free to ask. I live in Maryland currently which is like 40 minutes from Fairfax(why its named DMV). Will you be taking a government job or regular job?
I'd be taking a govt. job. 

Do a lot of people tend to commute into DC and live in the outlining cities?

most do...Northern VA is considerably more populated than MD and DC...most (key word) agency HQ's are within the DC city limits, with satellite/specialty offices in the surrounding areas...

Yes thats the only way. DC is crazy OD overpriced. I have a homegirl that lives down there and her house which is modest size (1500sqft) was 700k and she lives in southeast aka the hood.

its tough out here. i cant even get a summer/temporary job smh. everybody wants a long term candidate but i gotta go back to school in september.

most do...Northern VA is considerably more populated than MD and DC...most (key word) agency HQ's are within the DC city limits, with satellite/specialty offices in the surrounding areas...
Yes thats the only way. DC is crazy OD overpriced. I have a homegirl that lives down there and her house which is modest size (1500sqft) was 700k and she lives in southeast aka the hood.
 Ahh okay. Well...I guess I need to start researching some outlining cities and see how much a townhouse or 2-3 bedroom apartment is going to cost me.

Ahh okay. Well...I guess I need to start researching some outlining cities and see how much a townhouse or 2-3 bedroom apartment is going to cost me.

yeah try a few spots like Vienna, Herndon(really nice), Reston, Chantilly, and maybe Arlington(expensive). Alexandria is nice too. Hope those places help. These are the closest I could get you but expect at least an hour of traffic depending on what time you go in and get off of work.

Bro accept the offer. The start date may not come until next pay period. Do not miss out on an opportunity waiting for another. If the other job comes through just leave, but if that job does not come through its okay you will have one in the pocket. By them stating they will interview other candidates they are now placing you on the back.
I just got an offer from company C, which I just interviewed for yesterday. Currently deciding on which one I want.

Personally, I've never felt comfortable accepting a job offer while I know there is a chance I may get another job offer from another place soon. I know you have to look out for yourself but Im confident that I will find a job.

Last edited:
It all depends on how much you want to spend on rent but living in DC is not too bad.(it is)

The DEEP part of SE is the hood. Living off Pennsylvania and Eastern Market is nice living.

Living in VA is your best option because of the commute and I second Woodbridge on being a family community.

Last edited:
Sweet. You guys have been very helpful with the insight and suggestions. 

Hows the weather year round? I'm sure the lifestyle is different than CA?

Bro accept the offer. The start date may not come until next pay period. Do not miss out on an opportunity waiting for another. If the other job comes through just leave, but if that job does not come through its okay you will have one in the pocket. By them stating they will interview other candidates they are now placing you on the back.
I just got an offer from company C, which I just interviewed for yesterday. Currently deciding on which one I want.

Personally, I've never felt comfortable accepting a job offer while I know there is a chance I may get another job offer from another place soon. I know you have to look out for yourself but Im confident that I will find a job.
You can ALWAYS renege on a job offer, verbal or written.

Didn't you say you wanted Company C all along? Have you received the written offer?

I'll say pretty decent for the most part winter is not too cold and summer is not too hot for the most part. You also get the value of the four Seasons even though we didn't get a true spring because of all the rain the last couple of months.

its tough out here. i cant even get a summer/temporary job smh. everybody wants a long term candidate but i gotta go back to school in september.

this is also my problem. I applied for unemployment, but i got "disqualified" so now i have a hearing on the 20th of this month. If that fails then my credit goes downhill from here. i have bills due on the 15th, 26th, and most importantly the 28th.

so far i have applied to at least 10 different spots and i have not heard a word from any of them. most places around me are companies that want a long term/career employee, but im still in school. I wish i can work full time but this semester is gonna be crazy. With me taking an Engineerer's block which consists of: Calc 1, Physic 1 + 3hr lab, Chemistry 1 + 2 hr lab, and Intro to Eng there is no time to work. Honestly, my last resort is working at a mall, or maybe a Target that is like 5 mins away from where I live because with this semester coming up i might only be able to work

There is the POSSIBILITY of snow late Nov through March, and a dusting will **** traffic up...summer time humid and rain has been frequent this year in the spring

this is also my problem. I applied for unemployment, but i got "disqualified" so now i have a hearing on the 20th of this month. If that fails then my credit goes downhill from here. i have bills due on the 15th, 26th, and most importantly the 28th.

so far i have applied to at least 10 different spots and i have not heard a word from any of them. most places around me are companies that want a long term/career employee, but im still in school. I wish i can work full time but this semester is gonna be crazy. With me taking an Engineerer's block which consists of: Calc 1, Physic 1 + 3hr lab, Chemistry 1 + 2 hr lab, and Intro to Eng there is no time to work. Honestly, my last resort is working at a mall, or maybe a Target that is like 5 mins away from where I live because with this semester coming up i might only be able to work

You can ALWAYS renege on a job offer, verbal or written.

Didn't you say you wanted Company C all along? Have you received the written offer?
Yes, company C is the company I want to work for the most and both companies are hiring positions with the same job title. What I'm concerned about is that what I will be doing is vastly different at company C and not related to IT at all. The pay is good but Im worried that it would work against me if I ever wanted to get back into IT.

Even without company B in the picture (I was rejected), it's an extremely difficult choice between the two.

Last edited:
Im sure most ppl lie on their resume. I mean in order to get a job a lot of ppl tailor their resumes to fulfill those "requirements".
I don't lie on mine though thats just me

A lot of people lie but just prepared to be exposed come interview time or in the job if they find out those qualifications dont match up.

so i had a phone screen for the public sector wing of a consulting firm and confused out of the gate...

i thought the posting was stratcom-based (communications planning, stakeholder engagement, some knowledge management), but the person who interviewed was from their BI/analytics side (which i have no experience in)...

i guess it was more for a general management consultant, but they should have specified that in the requisition...

I mean im interested in the role, and somehow kept the phone call going for almost 30 mins, but i was like i applied for one thing and the role appears to be something different...i just felt i wasnt prepped for that at alll

Last edited:
Im sure most ppl lie on their resume. I mean in order to get a job a lot of ppl tailor their resumes to fulfill those "requirements".
I don't lie on mine though thats just me
I wouldn't equate lying to tailoring. There is nothing wrong with placing emphasis on certain accomplishments, responsibilities, or whatever that aligns with the job you are going for. Using certain buzzwords and the like is completely inbounds.

Lying or embellishing will get you exposed sooner or later. Probationary periods exist for a reason.

You shouldnt stright up lie but plenty of people exaggerate skills on their resume, myself included. I have some technical skills listed on mine that I havent used in years and barely remember anything about. Be prepared to conceptually answer questions about it though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom