Joe Rogan Podcast

A lot of very good points in here. I'm glad someone finally admitted to Dave Chapelle being problematic but at the very least he is mostly funny. I think he is falling into that trap of people who whine about not being able to say offensive sh** without consequences aka "cancel culture". I see cancel culture as a cry from people who aren't used to being checked for years of getting away with being sh**** human beings aka straight white men.

this is the point im trying to make.

Dave is out here with the transphobic jokes, with the homophobic jokes, with all kinds of problematic content but you wanna draw the line at don't be friends with Joe Rogan, it's mad weird to me. but hey different strokes.
He gets birthday messages from David Goggins so this can’t be true.

🤣

You’re not making a point and you don’t have a point! You’re deflecting!

osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh thinks he’s making some kind of point because a small number of Black people don’t have a problem with him.

JOE ROGAN LIKENED A MOVIE THEATER FULL OF BLACK PEOPLE TO “PLANET OF THE APES”.

But osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh wants the focus to be on “but being such a popular podcaster takes REAL TALENT! Heck! LOOK AT ROGER AILES and his life’s work at FOX News”.

🤡

Last edited:
🤣

osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh thinks he’s making some kind of point because a small number of Black people don’t have a problem with him.

But osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh wants the focus to be on “but being such a popular podcaster takes REAL TALENT! Heck! LOOK AT ROGER AILES and his life’s work at FOX News”.

🤡
I was wondering what Mr. Pay the police more had to say lol

Putting aside for a moment all the ****** up **** that attracts people to Rogan. And I honestly think this should be the most important conversation. **** dude is peddling is dangerous

My take on this success...

Joe Rogan is talented. He had a successful media career before the podcast, was a successful stand-up, his work with the UFC. I when it comes to the skill of interviewing for the format he does, he is good at that. You don't get a lot of good long-form interviews, and the length Joe does them, that can stay entertaining throughout, from other podcasters. In some ways, he is driving in his own lane.

However, I think that luck, even when acknowledged, is underestimated.

-His built-in fame from MTV, NBC, the UFC, and stand-up specials. Being a celebrity launching a podcast is not the same as an "average joe/jane"
-Joe was putting a lot of media out there before his podcast, from like the early 2000s. He had a blog he used to post things to. He used to live stream on places like U-Stream too. I remember seeing some of that stuff, it was most definitely rough. Mans had years of practice for the podcast before it launched, even then the podcast was rough at the beginning.
-Joe started his official podcast in like what? 2008-2009? When the podcast market was much smaller and years of experience doing similar stuff for him to draw on.
-Joe is a celebrity and stand-up, he has celebrity friends and comedians. Them coming on the show talking wild, and providing entertaining content helped the podcast a ton. Joe didn't launch a long-form interview podcast from the jump
-The rise of the UFC helped a lot because he then became one of the few media places you would see MMA discussions. He was knowledgeable about the sport, how dudes trained, the grappling scene, behinds-the-scenes info on fighters from working in the UFC, etc. If you were an MMA fan during that time, his MMA content was a great listen
-Him having a live stream of his podcast helped him because the video would end up on YouTube. In a time when Youtube was not overflowing with creators. Then he started to officially put clips on there. Making the show more suitable for a video audience clearly affected the pod too.

All this helped him build an audience before he solidly committed to the long-form interview stuff with "interesting" guesses.

When people say they can't believe people are still fans of his, I can understand where they are coming from because unless you are there for the diet libertarian conspiratorial white grievance *******, the appeal of Joe Rogan in 2021 doesn't seem that great. Doing a long-form podcast with the guess he has wouldn't make someone the most popular podcast in the country. There is a market for it but got that big. So in a 2021 podcast landscape, people have better options than Rogan. And when folk don't explore them, you start to wonder why.

Telling a Rogan critic "hey I bet you couldn't do what he does" really doesn't seem like a strong pushback because it not only ignores the luck he has had. But also the amount of time and built-in advantages he has had to make, and get better at making content.

Last edited:
I really don't see fighting for people to acknowledge Joe Rogan's talent as a battle worth fighting

But I guess it combines two of Osh's two favorite things to do:

-Defending content creators from critics
-Defending things that appeal to the sensibilities of racist white people

If Rogan was a Kyle Lowery fan, we would really be in ******* trouble :lol:

Last edited:
I can’t believe you typed all that about Joe Rogan :rofl:
I wrote that much not to just talk about Rogan, but to address the arguments being made regarding his appeal/success

I think Osh's take is a bit off base. But there is some truth in it too.

So I broke down in detail why and where I think he a bit off base

Yelling ad hominem at him might be one way to do it. But that won't accomplish much beyond making me look silly in and failed attempt to make him feel silly

But I guess some people play things differently.

🤣

🤡

caps lock and emojis are not the compelling rebuttal you seem to think they are.

Putting aside for a moment all the ****ed up **** that attracts people to Rogan. And I honestly think this should be the most important conversation. **** dude is peddling is dangerous

My take on this success...

Joe Rogan is talented. He had a successful media career before the podcast, was a successful stand-up, his work with the UFC. I when it comes to the skill of interviewing for the format he does, he is good at that. You don't get a lot of good long-form interviews, and the length Joe does them, that can stay entertaining throughout from other podcasters.

However, I think that luck, even when acknowledged, is underestimated.

-His built-in fame from MTV, NBC, the UFC, and stand-up specials. Being a celebrity launching a podcast is not the same as an average Joe
-Joe was putting a lot of media out there before his podcast, from like the early 2000s. He had a blog he used to post things to. He used to live stream on places like U-Stream too. I remember seeing some of that stuff, it was most definitely rough. Mans had years of practice for the podcast before it launched, even then the podcast was rough at the beginning.
-Joe started his official podcast in like what? 2008-2009? When the podcast market was much smaller and years of experience doing similar stuff for him to draw on.
-Joe is a celebrity and stand-up, he has celebrity friends and comedians. Them coming on the show talking wild, and providing entertaining content helped the podcast a ton. Joe didn't launch a long-form interview podcast from the jump
-The rise of the UFC helped a lot because he then became one of the few media places you would see MMA discussions. He was knowledgeable about the sport, how dudes trained, the grappling scene, behinds-the-scenes info on fighters from working in the UFC, etc. If you were an MMA fan during that time, his MMA content was a great listen
-Him having a live stream of his podcast helped him because the video would end up on YouTube. In a time when Youtube was not overflowing with creators. Then he started to officially put clips on there. Making the show more suitable for a video audience clearly affected the pod too.

All this helped him build an audience before he solidly committed to the long-form interview stuff with "interesting" guesses.

i agree with basically all of this.

Telling a Rogan critic "hey I bet you couldn't do what he does" really doesn't seem like a strong pushback because it not only ignores the luck he has had. But also the amount of time and built-in advantages he has had to make, and get better at making content.

I just think people in general who don't make content for a living.
just totally underestimate how hard it is.

Joe Rogan has had a ton of luck, accompanied with massive first mover advantages that continue to compound overtime that basically make it impossible to catch up to him.
if you started from scratch now. I grant all of this.

but to me the only way someone can think that
Joe Rogan is untalented is if you've never actually had to try and do this stuff yourself.

So I think it would be highly instructive for people who think that joe Rogan is untalented to try and talk for 3 hours so how easy you find it. :lol:

no one is catching rogan for all the reasons you stated, but I think it would be instructive.

A lot of very good points in here. I'm glad someone finally admitted to Dave Chapelle being problematic but at the very least he is mostly funny.

isn't this a bit hypocritical?

what you are saying is you like Dave Chappelle so you are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on the problematic things he says.

well Dave Chapelle likes Joe Rogan so he's doing the exact same thing you're doing.

Let's say you had a gay friend and he finds out you're going to see Dave Chappelle solo show live.

and he says:

"Im personally insulted that you would go see such a virulent homophobe live in concert and this friendship is over unless you throw away your dvd of Half Baked and vow to never consume Dave Chappelle content ever again"

would you find this to be reasonable request?

I wrote that much not to just talk about Rogan, but to address the arguments being made regarding his appeal/success

I think Osh's take is a bit off base. But there is some truth in it too.

So I broke down in detail why and where I think he a bit off base

Yelling ad hominem at him might be one way to do it. But that won't accomplish much beyond making me look silly in and failed attempt to make him feel silly

But I guess some people play things differently.
I don’t waste time on BS. You do you though.

Look, I love you dude, but I’ll always disagree with giving people the time of day when they go off on nonsense. I’ll point and laugh all day. You got me on that
Fair enough

Good talk, bro hug...
tumblr_pxmmgkGK141sqsyybo10_r1_500.gif

Back
Top Bottom