Jordan Factories

Where are they?
How much do the workers get paid?
Where are the factories that make fakes?(just curious)
Who manages them?
How much does it cost J/B pay for each shoe to be made?What is the shoe worth in the factory?
nerd.gif

How many Factories are there?
Do different factories use slightly differnt materials sometimes?
Do some factories make a mistake and change the shape of our shoes sometimes?
How much time do they really spend on each shoe that they make? craftsmenship wise?(we pay good money for them)
Why none of my j's say made in Taiwan why are most j's made in china now?

These are some things we should know!!!

1) China Check your shoes
2) I herd about $3 a day (Nike Documentary)
3)
indifferent.gif

4) No more than $20
5)
6)
7) Those shoes are considered obsolete or B grades
8 )
9) Same as 1

Most of this was from a nike documentary.. cant recall the name

a shoe probably only costs a few dollars to make. why do we still buy them? i dont know but we still do. its just part of marketing.

if we knew all the factories where they make fakes we wouldnt have this problem now

Some in Taiwan and Vietnam. They are separate company's, not Nike, that make the shoes.

I don't know/care about the answers to most of these questions,

But I do know that if you are aspiring to be a part of the wonderful world of shoe craftsmanship.....
I wish you luck.

One place to start might be www.nike.com
In addition to visiting this site, you should check the FAQ.
I know....I know...you're probably doubting me by now...
Just give it a shot
wink.gif

And if you are looking for some help on a paper(s),
I did a quick google search and this is what I found,

http://www.englishclub.com/writing/college-term-papers/index.htm

Or maybe this....no offense, but I'm not sure where you reside.
http://www.englishclub.com/esl-clubhouse.htm

May your hats fly as high as your dreams
pimp.gif

Cheers
grin.gif

im not writng a damn paper but af1's say made in vietnam and all the size tags on j's say made in china!

NKE TLK OG wrote:

1. Where are they?
Why are you planning a visit? Seriously, who cares???

2. How much do the workers get paid?
Are you looking for an afterschool job? Again, that is the factories issue not mine. I don't ask my customers what they pay their employee's

3. Where are the factories that make fakes?(just curious)
Again... Are you looking to visit?

4. Who manages them?
Ummm the factory managers... Does it really matter unless you live near them so you might know some of them?

5. How much does it cost J/B pay for each shoe to be made?What is the shoe worth in the factory?
nerd.gif

Each shoe is different depending on materials used, that is just common sense. But it's more then "a few dollars"

6. How many Factories are there?
Trying to find out how many places you have to see on your visit?

7. Do different factories use slightly differnt materials sometimes?
Do you own a materials company and trying to sell them some stuff?

8. Do some factories make a mistake and change the shape of our shoes sometimes?
They make them per Nike/JB specs, if they didn't Nike/JB would not approve samples and wouldn't pay for them.

9. How much time do they really spend on each shoe that they make? craftsmenship wise?(we pay good money for them)
Every shoe is a different cycle time. Some longer then others. What does how much you pay for the shoes have to do with the cycle time it takes to make each pair? Material costs, shipping costs and store mark up is more what you should be worried about "cost wise"

10. Why none of my j's say made in Taiwan why are most j's made in china now?
Because you obviously don't have an OG Jordans that the tags said Made in Taiwan instead of Made in China... And as far as I know Taiwan is still part of China at least last time I checked.

11. These are some things we should know!!!
Why do I NEED to know the answers to these questions???

12. How can you call yourself NKE TLK OG when you've only been a registered user for 5 months?? No wonder you don't have any Jordans with the Made in Taiwan tag...
roll.gif

If you go to the Nikebiz.com, they provide a list of all the current factories. Workers get paid around $1-4 a day for 10-12 hours. If the workers complainabout having to work overtime to make quotas or if they request increased pay by a few cents, then Nike moves to another factory. The cost of materials, labor,shipping, etc. is around $20 and the retailers buy each pair for around $50. This is the way it is with everything made overseas, but Nike is known to be oneof the worst when it comes to exploiting workers. It's just capitalism.

why do people think its funny to answer questions with questions
indifferent.gif
? google "pou chen group and nike" for more info.

China Inc looks beyond low costs

In Dongguan, a south China manufacturing town where the average shoe industry wage is Rmb960 ($145) a month, one of Nike's largest contract factories nowpays its workers Rmb1,472.

Such a differential should spell trouble in an industry where many are struggling with rising costs. But Yue Yuen Industrial is thriving - a fact that couldhold lessons for manufacturers far beyond Dongguan and the Pearl River Delta region in southern Guangdong province.

The prices of China's exports have been rising for almost five years. "[China trading] partner country data uniformly show imported footwear, toys,furniture and textile prices falling by around 3 per cent in US dollar terms until 2003, and then rising at 3 per cent to 4 per cent per year thereafter,"Jonathan Anderson, economist at UBS, noted in a recent research report.

The recent year-on-year price rises have been remarkably modest considering that labour is just one of many escalating costs that Yue Yuen and others have beencontending with. That the company, the Hong Kong-listed arm of Taiwan's Pou Chen Group, has been able to absorb them provides some clues as to howChina's export juggernaut manages to keep on rolling.

Trade and inflation data released this week demonstrate just how difficult an environment China-based exporters now operate in. The Chinese government reportedyesterday that the consumer price index clocked a year-on-year rise of 8.7 per cent in February - a 12-year high exacerbated by shortages stemming fromJanuary's severe snowstorms. Adding to exporters' woes, the renminbi has appreciated 15 per cent against the dollar since mid-2005 and is now poised tobreak through the Rmb7:$1 barrier.

China's underlying inflationary pressures matter because they could potentially make it much more difficult for exporters to continue to absorb the bruntof domestic cost pressures. Although much distorted by seasonal factors such as this year's severe winter weather, the country's January-February tradesurplus provided a hint of what could lie ahead, falling 29 per cent year-on-year to $28 billion.

"We expect [China's] export figures to rebound in March but continue to anticipate a more moderate slowdown in export growth over the course of theyear... A slowdown in China's export sector constitutes one of the key risks to economic growth," Jing Ulrich, JPMorgan's China equities chairman,said in a research note, citing reduced demand in the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development economies that consume two-thirds of thecountry's exports.

At its factory in Dongguan, however (see picture), Yue Yuen provides ample evidence of the Chinese export sector's resilience. Last year Guangdong'sfootwear exports increased 14.6 per cent to $9.6 billion, while textile shipments surged 18.4 per cent to $42 billion.

Yue Yuen and other large exporters benefit first from the sheer scale of their operations. The 27,000 workers at Yue Yuen's Nike operations in Dongguan,for example, make 14 million pairs of shoes a year - and they are just a small part of a larger manufacturing complex that employs 100,000 people in total.

Yue Yuen's relatively dear labour costs, which are more than 50 per cent higher than the industry average, also mask productivity incentives. At most shoefactories in Dongguan, the average monthly wage is largely determined by working hours and overtime, often in excess of statutory limits. But at Yue Yuen, onlyabout two-thirds of the average salary is attributable to hours worked. "If you have overtime problems you will also have quality and deliveryissues," says Hannah Jones, Nike's vice-president for corporate responsibility.

The remaining third of Yue Yuen's average salary is derived from productivity and quality targets achieved by team-based assembly lines modelled on the"lean" manufacturing principles pioneered by Toyota. "[Workers] can't hand off a bad piece [to another team member] and kiss itgoodbye," says Sonya Durkin-Jones, Nike's compliance director for North Asia. Each of Nike's lean manufacturing lines is branded with the acronym"NOS" - for the Latin novus ordo seclorum, or "a new order for the ages". The phrase is also emblazoned on the back of US dollar bills,which perhaps explains how it came to be ingrained in Nike's institutional memory.

Last week senior Nike executives spent three days taking journalists around Yue Yuen's Dongguan plant, citing it as an example of what they hope to achieveacross their entire China supply chain, which encompasses about 180 factories and 210,000 workers. One out of every three Nike shoes is made in China.

Yue Yuen's wage premium pays for itself in terms of increased productivity and quality; another benefit is that the company faces fewer of the recruitmentheadaches afflicting cheaper rivals in an environment where the balance between demand and supply has swung in labour's favour recently. "We have beenconstantly challenged by the environment - by all the overtime offered by some of our competitors," says Johnson Tong, a manager at Pou Chen. "Butworkers want to make money, not [rack up] hours."

"In this environment you want to reduce your turnover," adds Ms Jones. "Time to market is much more of a driver for us. How do you achieve thatif you are jumping from one factory to another? It's not about chasing labour costs. It's about stability and innovation."

A similar attitude prevails across the Pearl River Delta at Esquel, a privately owned Hong Kong shirt-maker that employs 26,000 workers in productionfacilities in Foshan. Chaired by Marjorie Yang, daughter the founder, Esquel has a client roster that includes the likes of Gap, JC Penney and Nike. Last yearit produced 65 million shirts.

Like Yue Yuen, Esquel must contend with a range of rising costs. The company has also consciously added to them, investing $50 million in clean manufacturingfacilities including its own power and water treatment plants. The latter handle everything from sewage to industrial dyes.

These investments have rooted Esquel ever deeper in the Pearl River Delta, where it can draw on the region's pool of textile workers. "You pay for thebrain as well as the hands," Ms Yang says of her workers. "For us stability is most important so we can use our management skills to deal withexternal problems."

i'm guessing you missed out on nike documentary that they had on CNBC "nike swoosh" it had all the information that you needed. I know you canstill buy the DVD on that documentary, it talked about nike, Jordan brand, nike sweat shops. every little thing that you needed to know. hope that helped!!!

3. Mostly China, some (I'm not too sure about it) in US.
4. Some guy they hired in China.
7. No material are different. But definitely not environmentally friendly, which caused Nike to came up with the current XX3.
8. Yes, but they don't sell off the shoes that shows obvious mistake. Those are not obvious are sold as "B" grades.
9. Not much, all machine otherwise stated (like XX3).
10. Because "all" your Jordan shoes are 1996 or 1997 and later. Original X are still Taiwan.
tag10-04.gif

12. How can you call yourself NKE TLK OG when you've only been a registered user for 5 months?? No wonder you don't have any Jordans with the Made in Taiwan tag...

Not so much about the 5 months, but exactly like what I was thinking about the Taiwan part.

man i want to visit and get some cheap authentic kicks, cut off the middleman

american ganster style

Originally Posted by dcortes23

i'm guessing you missed out on nike documentary that they had on CNBC "nike swoosh" it had all the information that you needed. I know you can still buy the DVD on that documentary, it talked about nike, Jordan brand, nike sweat shops. every little thing that you needed to know. hope that helped!!!

It was on again this weekend a few times. It's been on every week or every other week since it first aired...

Originally Posted by metalmaned

NKE TLK OG wrote:

1. Where are they?
Why are you planning a visit? Seriously, who cares???

2. How much do the workers get paid?
Are you looking for an afterschool job? Again, that is the factories issue not mine. I don't ask my customers what they pay their employee's

3. Where are the factories that make fakes?(just curious)
Again... Are you looking to visit?

4. Who manages them?
Ummm the factory managers... Does it really matter unless you live near them so you might know some of them?

5. How much does it cost J/B pay for each shoe to be made?What is the shoe worth in the factory?
nerd.gif

Each shoe is different depending on materials used, that is just common sense. But it's more then "a few dollars"

6. How many Factories are there?
Trying to find out how many places you have to see on your visit?

7. Do different factories use slightly differnt materials sometimes?
Do you own a materials company and trying to sell them some stuff?

8. Do some factories make a mistake and change the shape of our shoes sometimes?
They make them per Nike/JB specs, if they didn't Nike/JB would not approve samples and wouldn't pay for them.

9. How much time do they really spend on each shoe that they make? craftsmenship wise?(we pay good money for them)
Every shoe is a different cycle time. Some longer then others. What does how much you pay for the shoes have to do with the cycle time it takes to make each pair? Material costs, shipping costs and store mark up is more what you should be worried about "cost wise"

10. Why none of my j's say made in Taiwan why are most j's made in china now?
Because you obviously don't have an OG Jordans that the tags said Made in Taiwan instead of Made in China... And as far as I know Taiwan is still part of China at least last time I checked.

11. These are some things we should know!!!
Why do I NEED to know the answers to these questions???

roll.gif

I'm really getting tired of all of u kids jumping to conclusions i have a lot of s/n's and ive been on Nike Talk wayyy longer than five monthsi've actually been here longer than u so get ur facts straight buddy and why does it matter how long u been here?

You know what, these responses are not even called for.
Some of you Niketalkers are actually a joke. When someone is just asking a few simple questions NTers should be willing to help or just keep quiet and dontpost any of the smart remarks up as it is definitely a waste of time on your part.

I would like to know some of the answers to these questions as well because i think that it is interesting. From the replies that ive read in this thread aloneyou can already get the feeling that alot of people tend to not really care about it now however when a new jordan products comes back out there are complaintsabout how they are not the same. Thats confusing!

I like Jordan Brands products just like alot of other posters here in this forum does however i wouldnt mind knowing a little bit more about it.

I watched that program Nike Swoosh towards the end and i did not get a chance to catch it so does anyone know where i can purchase the dvd? I had a website forit at first but i forgot the name.

I think its funny but he does have a good point about the questions but he/she is sounding like they wanna rob the place

Back
Top Bottom