Jordan Retro 1 '85 Black/Red Feb 14th 2025

So why are these $250? Probably because Nike thinks it’s still a super hyped shoe that is so in demand and so popular that there are indeed enough people who are just willing to pay that price for this specific colorway and model, and still move all its inventory. If Nike REALLY gave a damn about killing resale, the solution is simple: make more pairs. Everything else is a smokescreen.
There is no way Nike/JB are this stupid though, right??

The 17 sold out at $300 and have resell value
Making 20k pairs of a shoe never retro’d isn’t a valid comparison when you have to imagine they’re doing a half million pairs or more of this one that’s been retro’d into the ground.

Not saying they won’t sell out but if it’s big numbers it’s not a comparable release

Making 20k pairs of a shoe never retro’d isn’t a valid comparison when you have to imagine they’re doing a half million pairs or more of this one that’s been retro’d into the ground.

Not saying they won’t sell out but if it’s big numbers it’s not a comparable release

You don't know how many 17's dropped and you don't know how many pairs of 1's are dropping.

They'll sell out, because any release that resellers expect to earn a profit they'll buy.

Did Lost and Founds sell out? Have black and red 1's ever sat since 2012?

I kind of laughed when people said that the Gratitude 11s wouldn’t sell out, and I ate crow on that one. Those joints were around for a month around my way before they finally sold out. Hoping to see the same with this pair. Maybe combination of the high price point and abundance of pairs will scare away the casuals.

If they make it very limited then it absolutely will.

But at a massive GR scale? Absolutely not.

That was my 2nd thought after they announced this price bump..............Nike/JB ain't flooding the market with these on All-Star weekend, even though they should.

If they pricing it at $250, this is gonna be as limited as the Reverse Bred High 85 1s from a couple of years back............they want a pure blood bath for these just to show off to "shareholders" :smh: :smh:

Lol at the majority of the comments in here, because yall will happily spend $300 to $2,500 on a collab Travis 1, just because it's a limited shoe, with not too many pairs in circulation outside. Meanwhile, yall really think Nike's Marketing Team/Analysts within the company, aren't watching our spending habits in the aftermarket, after some of us strike out on certain highly sought after releases?

It's a smart move, simply because Black/Red 1,s have NEVER sat on shelves in the past, that i could remember. Well probably get anywhere from 100,000 to 300,000 pairs on release day. Nike definitely arent releasing 500,000 to 1,000,000 of these at $250.

Id bet anything that these will sell out at $250, with just a couple of hundred thousand pairs floating around out here. I understand that alot of y'all love Chicago 1,s.

But from my experience from copping for years, they're nothing in comparison to the Black and Red OG 1,s. Ive seen people seriously act up over these in the past. Also, it's a shoe that commands attention, even from people who aren't into shoes.

Everybody, and I mean every and anybody come out of the woodworks for the Black/Reds. Everybody is complaining about the price, but add limited to it, with 85 shape (even though im not a fan of the toe box shape), which wont release again in the 85 shape for a couple of more decades. These are instantly going to sell out at $250. Resellers, og buyers, followers, hypebeast, casual buyers are going for multiples, especially if they're limited.

This, that's my entire point. There's no way that they're about to release these in GR numbers at $250. Everybody on here complaining are going to either cough up the $250, or still complain about how the release sucked, simply because it was a limited release. Im more intrigued about how much these will go on the secondary market, after they sell out at $250. If they're released in GR numbers at $250, it's going to be even more interesting, to see if they'll sit in this economy.

They did something similar with the Chicago 2s. They retailed for $200 while every other cw was $170.

Perfect example and my point precisely, and I've said it for years. People need to let go of this idea that Nike prices all of its shoes based on manufacturing costs. Nonsense, and it's plain as day to see. Sure, those costs are factored into it, but when it comes to retros, it literally jacks up prices on models and colorways it knows are the most coveted ones. This company charges more for retros of ancient shoes with practically no "tech" in them and mediocre materials than it does for some of its latest, supposedly cutting-edge state-of-the-art models loaded with its supposed latest, state-of-the-art tech. Explain that one if the manufacturing costs are what drive the MSRPs.
Demand, or anticipated demand, is the main factor that drives MSRPs, especially for retros.
And everyone who's making the point these are likely to be relatively limited and selling out, I ain't betting against that whatsoever :lol:

Last edited:
Lol at the majority of the comments in here, because yall will happily spend $300 to $2,500 on a collab Travis 1, just because it's a limited shoe, with not too many pairs in circulation outside. Meanwhile, yall really think Nike's Marketing Team/Analysts within the company, aren't watching our spending habits in the aftermarket, after some of us strike out on certain highly sought after releases?

It's a smart move, simply because Black/Red 1,s have NEVER sat on shelves in the past, that i could remember.
uhh you do realize the original 1994 retros hit massive discount, right?

That was my 2nd thought after they announced this price bump..............Nike/JB ain't flooding the market with these on All-Star weekend, even though they should.

If they pricing it at $250, this is gonna be as limited as the Reverse Bred High 85 1s from a couple of years back............they want a pure blood bath for these just to show off to "shareholders" :smh: :smh:
Perfect example and my point precisely, and I've said it for years. People need to let go of this idea that Nike prices all of its shoes based on manufacturing costs. Nonsense, and it's plain as day to see. Sure, those costs are factored into it, but when it comes to retros, it literally jacks up prices on models and colorways it knows are the most coveted ones. This company charges more for retros of ancient shoes with practically no "tech" in them and mediocre materials than it does for some of its latest, supposedly cutting-edge state-of-the-art models loaded with its supposed latest, state-of-the-art tech. Explain that one if the manufacturing costs are what drive the MSRPs.
Demand, or anticipated demand, is the main factor that drives MSRPs, especially for retros.
And everyone who's making the point these are likely to be relatively limited and selling out, I ain't betting against that whatsoever :lol:
If we’re being honest, they are trying to do two things with this release:

1.) Most importantly, introduce a new retail pricepoint for 85 AJ 1s ($250 vs the current $200)

2.) Rebuild hype for the Air Jordan 1s in general

I’m guessing they want a new pricing structure where OG Air Jordan 1 Highs are $200 with 85s at $250. As it stands, the current retail price for AJ 1 Highs is only $20 cheaper than the 85 highs ($180 vs $200) so I’m sure they want to widen that gap.

They’re being super greedy and anti-consumer at the end of the day with these price increases but I guess it makes sense since they are not doing as well financially as they were a few years back. Not defending them at all but I also see this from a business perspective since they need to build up product value to sell at higher prices.

Here is hoping this strategy and release is a massive failure for them.

You don't know how many 17's dropped and you don't know how many pairs of 1's are dropping.

They'll sell out, because any release that resellers expect to earn a profit they'll buy.

Did Lost and Founds sell out? Have black and red 1's ever sat since 2012?
I’m guessing Nike/JB will have a bunch of shock drops and EA for them like they did for the MB/IB 4s this year.

I can’t imagine resell on these will be that great, given how much they have flooded the market with AJ 1s the past few years.

If we’re being honest, they are trying to do two things with this release:

1.) Most importantly, introduce a new retail pricepoint for 85 AJ 1s ($250 vs the current $200)

2.) Rebuild hype for the Air Jordan 1s in general

I’m guessing they want a new pricing structure where OG Air Jordan 1 Highs are $200 with 85s at $250. As it stands, the current retail price for AJ 1 Highs is only $20 cheaper than the 85 highs ($180 vs $200) so I’m sure they want to widen that gap.

They’re being super greedy and anti-consumer at the end of the day with these price increases but I guess it makes sense since they are not doing as well financially as they were a few years back. Not defending them at all but I also see this from a business perspective since they need to build up product value to sell at higher prices.

Here is hoping this strategy and release is a massive failure for them.

Agree with that, too. Main point is, this ain’t about some good-intentioned plot to combat resellers. :lol:
I don’t care what Nike says on that subject, it’s just PR BS. The day Nike sees no resale market for its wares, especially its top-line retro product, is the day its execs will be seriously concerned, not congratulating each other for killing the resale culture.

I kind of laughed when people said that the Gratitude 11s wouldn’t sell out, and I ate crow on that one. Those joints were around for a month around my way before they finally sold out. Hoping to see the same with this pair. Maybe combination of the high price point and abundance of pairs will scare away the casuals.
How confident are you that there will be an abundance of pairs?

Tbh it doesn’t really matter how much JB charges for these because ultimately the market will determine how much they’re really worth (like it always does). If JB gets super greedy and tries to sell like 10 million of these but no one really wants them due to J1 hype being super dead and/or tight budgets, then these will go for under 250 on the resale market guaranteed.

As always just check the market price a couple days before release. If it’s around retail then they will probably dip under retail sooner than later

Back
Top Bottom