Jordan XVII Low Lightning - May 30, 2024

1717376964363.png

Not my pic but 17’s standing out in this photo :pimp:

So to those who have owned these before or 17 lows in general, why in the heck did JB do us like this for this release? Would love to learn some history about this sneaker since it looks like I’ll never own these looking at the crazy resell on these. I’ve been reading that these sneakers never had hype like this before, WTH happened? I see these haven’t been out since 02. But has some dumb collab on the 17s come out that pushed the hype on this shoe through the roof or something? I seriously thought I would be able to cop this on release date with no problems.

So to those who have owned these before or 17 lows in general, why in the heck did JB do us like this for this release? Would love to learn some history about this sneaker since it looks like I’ll never own these looking at the crazy resell on these. I’ve been reading that these sneakers never had hype like this before, WTH happened? I see these haven’t been out since 02. But has some dumb collab on the 17s come out that pushed the hype on this shoe through the roof or something? I seriously thought I would be able to cop this on release date with no problems.
Original colorway. First time the colorway has retroed. First time the briefcase has been retroed. A lot of those that were kids then (and us OG's) used to own the pair and/or want it back after 22 years. I think all those points make people want the shoe again or try to have an opportunity at it that they couldn't at the time. Drives up price, hype and only releasing them at NBHD stores. A lot of these factors play a role.

Original colorway. First time the colorway has retroed. First time the briefcase has been retroed. A lot of those that were kids then (and us OG's) used to own the pair and/or want it back after 22 years. I think all those points make people want the shoe again or try to have an opportunity at it that they couldn't at the time. Drives up price, hype and only releasing them at NBHD stores. A lot of these factors play a role.
Thank you for this explanation! I’ve seen these kicks before (just through research when I start collecting back in ‘11, and now you’ve just educated me to the fact that the pair my uncle had was the OG that I saw so long ago, wow) but I never knew this was the first time they retroed. Mix that with the dope briefcase, and only releasing at NBHD stores spells a total disaster. Thank you for this.

I know which one you’re talking about. Those were the Hyperflights 2’s. Pretty much the same shoe, but just had the holographic sides. I believe those came out December of 2001 while the Hyperflights 1’s came out July of 2001(multiple colors came out the same day)

Did a quick google search...You're definitely correct!
SMH...Pure nostalgia

They were made famous for being the shoe worn by MJ when he missed a breakaway dunk during the All-Star game.

Seriously though, and I say this respectfully as a guy who still owns an OG pair and had 3 pairs of the mids - they’re a nice shoe, but not $300 nice, and the briefcase sucks. If these released as a GR for $200-250, they wouldn’t be talked about as much. Jordan Brand was pretty smart on limiting this release to generate some hype on them.

Yeah, real smart. Hype up a shoe and sell a tiny amount of them. Brilliant! Lol. Hype is pointless when you release so few pairs and it's not like they're going to come around and release more. So what are they hyping? Other colors no one will want? It doesn't work like that.

Even Nike makes mistakes, count this release as a big one. They don't know how to match supply and demand, too many of shoes nobody wants, and too few of ones that people are looking for. Every time you think they have it figured out for a couple of releases, they start ****ing up again. JB particularly has had some extremely poor brand managers, even though the designers have been consistently above average.

I've said it a billion times but there is no good reason why we can't preorder shoes, especially retros, which they know people collect. Makes matching supply and demand easy and undercuts resellers hard. But some dumbass brand manager thinks the key to success is underselling product. It's not.

I actually watched that game live when MJ missed the dunk at the all star game lol. I was 7 and was confused af because he never did that on none of my VHS tapes :lol:. 2002 I believe

For me 17's and 18's just bring nostalgia. I was in elementary school at the time but couldn't get none of the kicks but they just remind me of the early 2000's. Simpler times. Plus I always loved the design. And now that we are out of the skinny jeans era and back in the more baggy relaxed era I think these hoop shoes have a space to come back and actually be fashionable off the court

Yeah, real smart. Hype up a shoe and sell a tiny amount of them. Brilliant! Lol. Hype is pointless when you release so few pairs and it's not like they're going to come around and release more. So what are they hyping? Other colors no one will want? It doesn't work like that.

Even Nike makes mistakes, count this release as a big one. They don't know how to match supply and demand, too many of shoes nobody wants, and too few of ones that people are looking for. Every time you think they have it figured out for a couple of releases, they start ****ing up again. JB particularly has had some extremely poor brand managers, even though the designers have been consistently above average.

I've said it a billion times but there is no good reason why we can't preorder shoes, especially retros, which they know people collect. Makes matching supply and demand easy and undercuts resellers hard. But some dumbass brand manager thinks the key to success is underselling product. It's not.
If I recall correctly, Nike had a survey up about preordering shoes. I think it’s on the table.

As for the 17s - they’re probably going to retro the mids at some point, and the kids and clout chasers who don’t know any better will be shelling out $350 for them.

Let’s be real, how many of y’all woulda pre-ordered the 17s at $300? In today’s market, unless limited, or a collab, we avoid paying retail, and wait for stuff to hit discount, and in a good majority of cases, it works in our favor…. Pre-order wouldn’t work well today, imo.

Let’s be real, how many of y’all woulda pre-ordered the 17s at $300? In today’s market, unless limited, or a collab, we avoid paying retail, and wait for stuff to hit discount, and in a good majority of cases, it works in our favor…. Pre-order wouldn’t work well today, imo.
I dunno, I’ve done several preorders in the past year. I’d be in for sure.

Not saying no one would do it, just wouldn’t be many that would. I’d be on the fence for lows at $300, but if the case was included, I’d probably do it, and just off the case to offset the price.

Nike would have to do something to combat returns with preorders as well. Let’s say you preorder at $300, then 3 months after release, you can easily purchase same shoe for $180. With Nikes easy returns, you can just send back.

Offers in my sz went down pretty significantly on goat. Offers go down = prices gradually come down, in most cases. Bet patient y’all. Majority of these were bought by resellers….

Back
Top Bottom