Kevin Hart What Now OCT 14

i think that the internet hates adam Sandler more than real people actually do. His stuff is for the lowest common denominator sure, but there are people who love his work. And also dude is crazy successful.

Not on the recent past though. Pixels, Blended, Jack and Jill, the Cobbler and That's my boy all flopped with Grown Ups being the exception.

Can't use box office logic cause by that account America is waiting for more Twilight squeals :lol:
Go check box office mojo before you call them flops. His movies make 2-3x their budget.

Jack and Jill - 150 mill/ 79 mill budget
Pixels- 245 mill/88 mill budget
Blended- 128 mill/ 40 mill budget
Hotel Transylvania- 473 mill/ 80 mill budget

"That's my boy" & "Funny People" were his only flops in like the last decade maybe

Last edited:
Coming up with an hour of "tv" worthy material takes about a year though. Plus he's practiticing/doing shows at clubs to make sure the jokes are polished. Sienfeld did a doc about coming up with an hour/comedy in general.

i know what you're saying man. But to be an athlete you have to be working from an early age.

it really isnt comparable but if we had to compare the WORK alone, an 82 game season plus playoffs plus preseason

is way more work than an hour special.

Apples and oranges but it's undeniable.

I enjoy watching Kev. i'm 29.

His jokes are relatable and well told.

Basic like a cheeseburger.

Like that funny buddy of yours just goin at it.

He aint the best but he's far from being "unfunny".

Comedy is subjective, but numbers indicate that more people relate to Kev than hate him.

One thing I hate is when we build our AA entertainers up just to tear them down when they become popular or mainstream. Even if you can't relate to his jokes anymore, still no need to tear the brother down. He's out here feeding families and being positive. I try my best to support anyone like that.

i saw it on saturday, and to me some of the jokes he told were very similar to the ones from i'm a grown little man

still kinda enjoyed myself though.... haha

Last edited:
i saw it on saturday, and to me some of the jokes he told were very similar to the ones from i'm a grown little man

still kinda enjoyed myself though.... haha

Yeah man, jokes felt similar but still funny.

The set left me wanting more, had a couple of lows.

(working off of memory, saw it last year August)

One thing I hate is when we build our AA entertainers up just to tear them down when they become popular or mainstream. Even if you can't relate to his jokes anymore, still no need to tear the brother down. He's out here feeding families and being positive. I try my best to support anyone like that.

So if an artist of any medium has peaked we supposed to let them slide because they're black? **** that. The artform first, social agenda second.

Last edited:
Reactions: OTG
The term "peaked" is subjective. Regardless how a handful of negative people may feel, the numbers aren't lying. Dude is still funny to some and not funny to others, just like every other comedian. No need to dissect him and tear him down to prove your point of him "falling off".

Last edited:
"Peaked" when you're not as good as you once were. He hasn't evolved, so his act has gotten stale. And I don't think there's anything wrong with mentioning that.

Someone said it earlier.

We see him everywhere. The interviews, commercials, talkshows and YouTube bits are just too much.
It's like, if I pay money to see this, am I REALLY getting something different? He's a funny guy, but a lot of people just need a break.

Props to his success though + venturing out into ownership and that Nike partnership.

Last edited:
That's it?! I thought Kevin Hart was an A-lister. That's a flop with all the promotion.

Bro, he sold out multiple shows per night in multiple nights per city. He made more from the tour than the feature.

Also, there's practically zero market for the stand up movies especially if you've already seen it.

And if you're a fan, you've already seen it.

The numbers? How much did the movie make over opening weekend?

11 million
That's it?! I thought Kevin Hart was an A-lister. That's a flop with all the promotion.

Not really a flop. Laugh at my pain opened at 10 million and finished with around 30 million box office. This opened at 11 million and will likely end somewhere around there. The budget was 9 million. So a 30 million return on a 9 million investment is pretty solid. And then he can either put it on his network or Netflix and get more money

Netflix for sure. and yeah, making money off of something that you already made money off of (and more) is far from a flop.

He needs new NEW material tho for sure.

The budget was 10 mil for this, we'll see how it does during it's run. Its at 12 million and it just opened so he'll do alright for himself.

Yeah believe he said it was 12 million (probably including marketing). Even though "What Now" is in 3x more theaters than "Let Me Explain" for some reason, I don't see this one holding up as well. MIGHT hit 30 million (LME did 32 million) it'll all depend on word of mouth.

i know what you're saying man. But to be an athlete you have to be working from an early age.

it really isnt comparable but if we had to compare the WORK alone, an 82 game season plus playoffs plus preseason

is way more work than an hour special.

Apples and oranges but it's undeniable.
I don't believe that. 

If a comic is doing 3-4 spots daily, I'd argue that he's putting in just as much work into his craft as the basketball player putting work into his craft.

We're basically discussing if physical work or if mental work is harder. 

This discusion completely depends on how dialed into you are about either craft.

Hell you even have Blake Griffin saying that stand up isn't as easy as it looks.

I believe he said that on the champs podcast years ago.

Here's a vid of him doing stand up.

Last edited:

Bro, he sold out multiple shows per night in multiple nights per city. He made more from the tour than the feature.

Also, there's practically zero market for the stand up movies especially if you've already seen it.

I understand that, I'm just thinking this dude has been on every morning show and talk show and appears to be the no.1 celeb and made $90 million alone in 2016. I honestly thought it would do $30 mill opening weekend at least but yeah the people that went to the event aren't gonna pay $10 to see it again. I got you on that.

Not really a flop. Laugh at my pain opened at 10 million and finished with around 30 million box office. This opened at 11 million and will likely end somewhere around there. The budget was 9 million. So a 30 million return on a 9 million investment is pretty solid. And then he can either put it on his network or Netflix and get more money

Yeah, I actually thought it would do $30 million this weekend, alone.

I understand that, I'm just thinking this dude has been on every morning show and talk show and appears to be the no.1 celeb and made $90 million alone in 2016. I honestly thought it would do $30 mill opening weekend at least but yeah the people that went to the event aren't gonna pay $10 to see it again. I got you on that.

Yeah, I actually thought it would do $30 million this weekend, alone.
That's just super unrealistic dude. if that was the case, Louis ck, Chris rock, Seinfeld etc would all be putting movies out in theaters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom