Kevin Samuels Dead at 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
“That hasn’t stopped some Black men from immortalizing his teachings. But those men are mulish and still believe that Dr. Umar is going to open a school. So that’s on them. “

:lol:

"Stephen A. Crockett Jr. is the Opinion Editor at HuffPost. His opinionated work began around the age of seven when he argued successfully that the Boy Scouts was not a group he needed to belong to. His previous work has appeared on The Root, The Washington Post, and the San Jose Mercury News.

:rofl:

“That hasn’t stopped some Black men from immortalizing his teachings. But those men are mulish and still believe that Dr. Umar is going to open a school. So that’s on them. “

1652283445938.png

there is a certain type of professionally black, college educated public intellectual/writer
who LOVES to **** on stuff that working class black people like.

agree or disagree with him
it's not at all perplexing or weird why people might want to call into his show.

but the professionally black writer is always charged up to tell you why popular black figure is "problematic"

and should be ejected from polite socitey.

Dude sounds like the type to grow up and become THIS type of father.

I wanted my son to reject masculine stereotypes. Then he fell in love with tractors All my life, I’ve prided myself on blurring gender lines. But when my young son started to gravitate toward the very things I’d shunned, I wasn’t sure what to do. - https://www.today.com/parents/essay/man-boxes-stereotypes-tractors-rcna25364

1652283445938.png

there is a certain type of professionally black, college educated public intellectual/writer

it's not at all perplexing or weird why people might want to call into his show.

but the professionally black writer is always charged up to tell you why popular black figure is "problematic"

:lol: Didn't read the article but that's exactly what happened in that excerpt you posted, what's the issue?

:lol:at ascribing that to working class. You a fighter of the common man now?

Dude sounds like the type to grow up and become THIS type of father.

I wanted my son to reject masculine stereotypes. Then he fell in love with tractors All my life, I’ve prided myself on blurring gender lines. But when my young son started to gravitate toward the very things I’d shunned, I wasn’t sure what to do. - https://www.today.com/parents/essay/man-boxes-stereotypes-tractors-rcna25364

"My son was born in Albany, New York, on the bedroom floor of the apartment I shared with my wife. Minutes after his arrival, we took turns cuddling him against our bare chests. While the midwife and her assistant cleaned up, my wife, always one to joke, even soon after giving birth, bragged that she had a connection to our new baby that I could never attain because men couldn’t bond with babies like women could."

"Her comment stabbed into me, but I feared she was right. To me, femininity was connected to empathy and kindness while masculinity equated to being frigid. Men didn’t hug. Men didn’t say I love you. Men were angry. Aggressive. Inept as parents. I became determined. I was going to create a bond stronger than any parent had ever achieved, but I told myself that to do so I needed to distance myself from anything deemed masculine."

"I immediately cut my hours at my social work gig, taking on the role of caregiving full time. It made sense because my wife made more money and I was accustomed to being around kids; it was what I did for a living. Every day I fed Avishai and cuddled him and soothed him. We co-slept, and he snoozed with his head resting on my chest, listening to the rhythm of my heartbeat. I began attending mommy-and-me playgroups and bristled when other caregivers made jokes about me providing daddy day care. I held resentment that so much of society acted as if dads couldn’t care for their kids (therefore putting pressure on women for the brunt of the caregiving) — but I too looked at dads that way. I shuddered at jokes about men being incapable of figuring out how to work a diaper, yet I felt most couldn’t. I became even more of an avid stereotyper: I grimaced at anyone driving a Ford car, the John Wayne of automobiles. I hated men who wore plaid. Felt ill if someone mentioned a wrench or another tool. When my mom-in-law bought Avishai a coverall with footballs on it, I shoved it into the depths of his closet, never to be found."

1652285339595.png

"I paraded him through the park while he rolled his baby doll down the sidewalk in its stroller," Deitcher writes.

BRUH!

rico-paid.gif

Last edited:
All these pseudo-intellectual writers stay exposing their ignorance. No one called into his show to get bashed. 90% of his calls were civil and informative. It was only that 10% of people who called in on some BS. So those people were the ones on the clips circulating for laughs. I'm old enough to know how the media works, but I still hate how they try to reduce this man down to sound bites of him telling a women she's the size of a line backer. Overall omitting videos of him giving practical and essential advice to both men and women.

:lol: Didn't read the article but that's exactly what happened in that excerpt you posted, what's the issue?

:lol:at ascribing that to working class. You a fighter of the common man now?

im not "a fighter for the common man."
i am distinctly uncommon, weird person, :lol:

but even I can understand why many people like and call into kevin samuels show.
people call into sports radio shows, advice shows, relationship shows, everyday,

with all manor of eccentric hosts.
but when black people do it's pathologized into some bizarre masochistic ritual.
I think it's nasty.

I think there is absolutely a class element at play here.
it just seems to me when a popular black figure runs afoul of the medias political consensus,

there's always professionally black writer ready to go OD in a hit piece.
imo it just looks like a way to signal to white people. "im not one of those black people" :lol:

"My son was born in Albany, New York, on the bedroom floor of the apartment I shared with my wife. Minutes after his arrival, we took turns cuddling him against our bare chests. While the midwife and her assistant cleaned up, my wife, always one to joke, even soon after giving birth, bragged that she had a connection to our new baby that I could never attain because men couldn’t bond with babies like women could."

"Her comment stabbed into me, but I feared she was right. To me, femininity was connected to empathy and kindness while masculinity equated to being frigid. Men didn’t hug. Men didn’t say I love you. Men were angry. Aggressive. Inept as parents. I became determined. I was going to create a bond stronger than any parent had ever achieved, but I told myself that to do so I needed to distance myself from anything deemed masculine."

"I immediately cut my hours at my social work gig, taking on the role of caregiving full time. It made sense because my wife made more money and I was accustomed to being around kids; it was what I did for a living. Every day I fed Avishai and cuddled him and soothed him. We co-slept, and he snoozed with his head resting on my chest, listening to the rhythm of my heartbeat. I began attending mommy-and-me playgroups and bristled when other caregivers made jokes about me providing daddy day care. I held resentment that so much of society acted as if dads couldn’t care for their kids (therefore putting pressure on women for the brunt of the caregiving) — but I too looked at dads that way. I shuddered at jokes about men being incapable of figuring out how to work a diaper, yet I felt most couldn’t. I became even more of an avid stereotyper: I grimaced at anyone driving a Ford car, the John Wayne of automobiles. I hated men who wore plaid. Felt ill if someone mentioned a wrench or another tool. When my mom-in-law bought Avishai a coverall with footballs on it, I shoved it into the depths of his closet, never to be found."

1652285339595.png

"I paraded him through the park while he rolled his baby doll down the sidewalk in its stroller," Deitcher writes.

BRUH!

rico-paid.gif

this is like "woke" self hatred?
this guy needs therapy.

im not "a fighter for the common man."
i am distinctly uncommon, weird person, :lol:

but even I can understand why many people like and call into kevin samuels show.
people call into sports radio shows, advice shows, relationship shows, everyday,

with all manor of eccentric hosts.
but when black people do it's pathologized into some bizarre masochistic ritual.
I think it's nasty.

I think there is absolutely a class element at play here.
it just seems to me when a popular black figure runs afoul of the medias political consensus,

there's always professionally black writer ready to go OD in a hit piece.
imo it just looks like a way to signal to white people. "im not one of those black people" :lol:
I get it, I guess.

But whole thread folks are "they call in on their own! It's not just women!" -- Someone agrees and poses a question regarding those people and now he's gotta be one of them blavity blacks, word to 6pac 6pac .

Honestly though like I said didn't read the article and don't really care, just wasting a little time at lunch. You can easily skip this

Reference Samuels:

“This is the truth for you, men of Athens; I am hiding nothing from you either great or small in my speech, nor am I holding anything back. And yet I know rather well that I incur hatred by these very things; which is also a proof that I speak the truth, and that this is the slander against me, and that these are its causes.”

- Plato

1652283445938.png

Here is the thing. There are many solid points as to why Kevin Samuels is wrong about certain things.

They are a lot of good faith issues to take with what he says beyond the basic life and dating advice.

For an example of this dynamic, I could write a post here about how he just repeats faulty conservative politics popular in the 90s, why some of the economic arguments he makes are just flat bad/weird/unconvincing, he is needlessly red-pillish misogynistic way he argues stuff, and people don't realize that he has a profit motive too. A lot of dudes happy about Samuels checking black women would turn around and be upset I dear try to do at dude like that. I know this because it has already happened :lol: You would see this dynamic repeated on a larger scale if it involved mainstream writers

A professional black writer should be allowed to point that out without an accusation of trying to appease white people in some way.

I don't think people like Umar and Samuels should be rejected from polite society. But I also feel people should be able to object to their rhetoric without the avalanche of criticism that they are trying to appease white people, or trying to tear down a black man. I just feel the most serious ones are too busy writing about way more important **** that Keven Samuels :lol:

So we are left with the goofballs

Last edited:
I understand why people are drawn to Samuels, even why women keep calling in

But once you keep past the basic innocuous dating/life advice, which would take a very short time to present, I am less convinced that is the draw for people to be watching dude for hours a week, for months going.

I think a lot of his fans understate the entertainment value and dopamine hit they get from dude antics :lol:

1652283445938.png

The WORST kind of people & these are the ones that are always talking about about white supremacy while doing everything they can to get white stamps. Just a long list of isms & buzzwords leading to a blob of nothing

these are the new "leaders" that get propped up tho :lol:

Last edited:
Here is the thing. There are many solid points as to why Kevin Samuels is wrong about certain things.

They are a lot of good faith issues to take with what he says beyond the basic life and dating advice.

For an example of this dynamic, I could write a post here about how he just repeats faulty conservative politics popular in the 90s, why some of the economic arguments he makes are just flat bad/weird/unconvincing, he is needlessly red-pillish misogynistic way he argues stuff, and people don't realize that he has a profit motive too. A lot of dudes happy about Samuels checking black women would turn around and be upset I dear try to do at dude like that. I know this because it has already happened :lol: You would see this dynamic repeated on a larger scale if it involved mainstream writers

A professional black writer should be allowed to point that out without an accusation of trying to appease white people in some way.

I don't think people like Umar and Samuels should be rejected from polite society. But I also feel people should be able to object to their rhetoric without the avalanche of criticism that they are trying to appease white people, or trying to tear down a black man. I just feel the most serious one are too business writing about way more important **** that Keven Samuels :lol:

If Kevin Samuels isn’t good for black men and women, give an example of who is…..

I never needed dating or relationship advice so I have no dog in this fight. But for black men and women who need it…. Who’s a better example?

Yeah I'm saying, goofy or not can son do his job? Why are black writers somehow outside that protected class Osh is trying to defend? All of them can't be this figure people try to make them out to be as soon as they do the thing that pays their bills.

If Kevin Samuels isn’t good for black men and women, give an example of who is…..

I never needed dating or relationship advice so I have no dog in this fight. But for black men and women who need it…. Who’s a better example?
I don't think I made the claim that Kevin Samuels isn't good for black men or women. I said they are valid criticism to make with some of the things he says

I have called his basic life/dating advice solid multiple times

-Get therapy
-Drop unreasonable standards
-Better yourself physically
-Dating scene is a marketplace

If all basic solid dating/life advice. And people should follow them.

I don't have some alternative guru for black people to follow for dating advice. My views on dating and family have been built on a lot of stuff. Not just following the advice of one person.

Last edited:

I don't think people like Umar and Samuels should be rejected from polite society. But I also feel people should be able to object to their rhetoric without the avalanche of criticism that they are trying to appease white people, or trying to tear down a black man. I just feel the most serious one are too business writing about way more important **** that Keven Samuels :lol:

and I don't have any problem with those critiques.
I agree with basically all of them.

and i swear im not tryna do the whole "they tryna tear down a black man thing"

but

I just get a little suspicious, when a certain kind of writer tries to totally pathologize the interest in KS or other problematic black figures.
Like you really can't understand why people call in? it's some strange masochism that is totally alien to you really?

it's just really hard for me to believe as a black person you don't get it at all.
and it makes it feel like there is some other motive. it feels like there's a class dynamic at play.

and even if I take him at his word and he's baffled by KS callers.
can you maybe try and bring nuanced look at why some black people might be interested in dude beyond pure pathology?

I can't see into the dudes heart but it feels off to me.

I understand why people are drawn to Samuels, even why women keep calling in

But once you keep past the basic innocuous dating/life advice, which would take a very short time to present, I am less convinced that is the draw for people to be watching dude for hours a week, for months going.

I think a lot of his fans understate the entertainment value and dopamine hit they get from dude antics :lol:
200.gif

More of that elitist babble

Elitist babble? Da **** :lol:

How is that elitist

All I am saying his fans understate how much they enjoy what happens beyond the basic dating advice.

I'll say for myself as a rap fan

I am not above enjoying a certain amount of mysogynistic entertainment.

KS takes it too far for my pallette sometimes

I think it's crazy to pretend like that isn't part of his appeal. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom