Kid shot & paralyzed over Marmot "biggie" coat @ Bryant Park VOL Hurtlocker coat makin waves in NY

Let's be real for a second; none of these kids are spending $600-700 on this jacket because it's "super warm." You're lying to yourself if you honestly think this.

A $600-700 jacket, in the "hood" no less, functions purely as a status symbol.

It's peacocking; it's a luxury item that is purchased to get the yambinas wet, and make other ninjas envious--see "stunting" on dudes.

That's why I could never ever co-sign something like this. Warmth? **** outta here with that...:lol:. No single article of clothing will keep you warm in the dead of winter in NYC. You want warmth, you dress in layers. .

How can you say this when this is EXACTLY what

I did? :lol: i already had a 1st gen 2 tone North face

Snorkel, plus steeptech, plus bubble, but as soon

As i tried on my goretex merm i was sold on it.

As far as dressing in layers? I dont do that ****, too

Much crap on for what? I can wear i simple shirt

Or hoodie and have my merm on and i wont feel

**** and it could be sub freezing tundra conditions.

Marmots arent even flashy, and up to a couple of

Years ago even da logos were tonal and blended in

Da body of da jacket so unless you know what's da

Difference between a goretex, and a white horse/

yukon then you would think its all da same...da devil

Is in da details.

NInja, you're a grown man with a grown man job, so how you choose to spend your money is nobody's business. However, we're talking about 15-16-17 year old kids. Even if they ALL had after school jobs working at Mickey D's, I'd still call 'em out for being foolish for dropping $600+ on an article of clothing. And I am not picking on 'em because they're "inner-city" kids. Kids in Greenwich and Westport are very much susceptible to this kind of profligacy, if not worse.

BUT...if it wasn't clear enough, the main point of my previous post was that, these jackets--in the eyes of these kids--have little to do with utility, and everything to do with "fashion." See "trendy", "fad", "vogue"...etc. Damn near every single one of these kids were hyping something else yesteryear ago. I remember some years back, maybe my junion yr of college, NFace Steep-techs were all the rage. But like all trends, the hype died, and moved elsewhere.

Soooooo, as I see it, if we're going to have some kind of mature discussion on the matter, I feel like we should "keep it real", and chuck all the bs tangents aside--with a prime one being the implication that these jackets are being purchased, and are all the rage, because they are super warm, because as you and I know, that's complete bullishhh.

to all the hood mentality nters out there that spend all their money on clothes/shoes:

why is it better to appear to have money than to actually have money?

NInja, you're a grown man with a grown man job, so how you choose to spend your money is nobody's business. However, we're talking about 15-16-17 year old kids. Even if they ALL had after school jobs working at Mickey D's, I'd still call 'em out for being foolish for dropping $600+ on an article of clothing. And I am not picking on 'em because they're "inner-city" kids. Kids in Greenwich and Westport are very much susceptible to this kind of profligacy, if not worse.

BUT...if it wasn't clear enough, the main point of my previous post was that, these jackets--in the eyes of these kids--have little to do with utility, and everything to do with "fashion." See "trendy", "fad", "vogue"...etc. Damn near every single one of these kids were hyping something else yesteryear ago. I remember some years back, maybe my junion yr of college, NFace Steep-techs were all the rage. But like all trends, the hype died, and moved elsewhere.

Soooooo, as I see it, if we're going to have some kind of mature discussion on the matter, I feel like we should "keep it real", and chuck all the bs tangents aside--with a prime one being the implication that these jackets are being purchased, and are all the rage, because they are super warm, because as you and I know, that's complete bullishhh.

How can you have a mature discussion, when you already stereotyped a entire demographic and know why they're buying something? Ninja tells you one thing, and you tell him no? You already know everything. Not everyone has the same reason.

At some point the jackets would have had to gain their popularity due to the quality, or they would have never gotten popular in the first place. Kids would have picked another jacket. Just like Northface. There's a reason more and more people began buying it until it became so popular.

to all the hood mentality nters out there that spend all their money on clothes/shoes:

Hood mentality, as if the hood are the only ones who live pay check to pay check and like nice things. :lol:

Hood mentality, as if the hood are the only ones who live pay check to pay check and like nice things.
laugh.gif
everyone likes nice things, but that doesnt make it smart to spend all your money on a jacket 

jacket is garbage periods you Ny cats smh
mean.gif
 literally thought iwas back in 01 seeing that jacket

everyone likes nice things, but that doesnt make it smart to spend all your money on a jacket 

Why do you assume they're spending all their money?

If I'm in high school or college and save up and buy one, who cares. You have no responsibilities. You can be more frivolous with your money. You still have a roof over your head and can eat.

It's not like dudes are skipping car payments or mortgages, because that's not the main demographic buying them.

Last edited:

How can you have a mature discussion, when you already stereotyped a entire demographic and know why they're buying something? Ninja tells you one thing, and you tell him no? You already know everything. Not everyone has the same reason.

At some point the jackets would have had to gain their popularity due to the quality, or they would have never gotten popular in the first place. Kids would have picked another jacket. Just like Northface. There's a reason more and more people began buying it until it became so popular.

Stereotyped? Hardly. I speak from experience, one borne out of having lived and grown up in the inner city, (and I still live here).

Additionally, when it comes to fashion, popularity isn't always synonymous with quality. So like I stated earlier, let's not do ourselves the disservice of believing that these kids are spending this amount of money, on a jacket, for reasons pertaining to quality. I mean, I sure there's some talk of quality and durability going one, but by and large, these jackets are popular because they're the current trend. Owning this jacket says that you have expendable income-- that money is of no object to you. It's a status symbol, much like owning a multitude of Lebrons, and a host of Jordans, aimed at attracting the opposite sex and belittling the competition (now I am touching on the parallels between the evolution of sexual competition in animals, and the social behavior of a certain demographic of man, but perhaps this is another conversation for another time).

It really is no different from the Goldman Sach's money manager who buys a weekend porsche. Although, one could say that the money manager actually, and likely, has expendable income. Even so, it's still all stunting and no common sense, and that's the issue I have regarding this whole affair. Least not when innocent lives are endangered or worse.

Last edited:
Stereotyped? Hardly. I speak from experience, one borne out of having lived and grown up in the inner city, (and I still live here).

Additionally, when it comes to fashion, popularity isn't always synonymous with quality. So like I stated earlier, let's not do ourselves the disservice of believing that these kids are spending this amount of money, on a jacket, for reasons pertaining to quality. I mean, I sure there's some talk of quality and durability going one, but by and large, these jackets are popular because they're the current trend. Owning this jacket says that you have expendable income-- that money is of no object to you. It's a status symbol, much like owning a multitude of Lebrons, and a host of Jordans, aimed at attracting the opposite sex and belittling the competition (now I am touching on the parallels between the evolution of sexual competition in animals, and the social behavior of a certain demographic of man, but perhaps this is another conversation for another time).

It really is no different from the Goldman Sach's money manager who buys a weekend porsche. Although, one could say that the money manager actually, and likely, has expendable income. Even so, it's still all stunting and no common sense, and that's the issue I have regarding this whole affair. Least not when innocent lives are endangered or worse.

So one day all of a sudden everyone in the hood woke up with the same idea? Biggie's?

A BMW is a status symbol to some. To others it's just a car. Same with Lebrons or Jordan's. Some people buy them because they like Lebron. Some people buy them because they just like the sneaker.

Most of us speaking on this topic are from the inner city.

Last edited:

So one day all of a sudden everyone in the hood woke up with the same idea? Biggie's?

A BMW is a status symbol to some. To others it's just a car. Same with Lebrons or Jordan's. Some people buy them because they like Lebron. Some people buy them because they just like the sneaker.

Most of us speaking on this topic are from the inner city.

1. Well "Biggies" most certainly were not the "it" jacket to have just a few years back, so yeah, you could say that at some point, the hype hit the 'hood and the youth went crazy for 'em. See "trendy, "vogue", "fashion", etc.

2. It's all fine and dandy if you have the expendable income for "status symbols." Many of these KIDS--see teenagers with with little to no real financial independence--DO NOT, however. Why is this a hard concept for some of y'all...:lol:

3. Yayy, we're all from the inner city!!!! Now that you know this, don't throw accusations of generalizations my way...:rolleyes

1. Well "Biggies" most certainly were not the "it" jacket to have just a few years back, so yeah, you could say that at some point, the hype hit the 'hood and the youth went crazy for 'em. See "trendy, "vogue", "fashion", etc.

2. It's all fine and dandy if you have the expendable income for "status symbols." Many of these KIDS--see teenagers with with little to no real financial independence--DO NOT, however. Why is this a hard concept for some of y'all...:lol:

3. Yayy, we're all from the inner city!!!! Now that you know this, don't throw accusations of generalizations my way...:rolleyes

1. My point was proven
2. Kids have no responsibility other than to spend their money on wants. So who cares. They stay at home. Just make sure you teach your kids about credit and financial responsibility and stop trying to police the world. It only matters when they start harming others, and that's nothing new. It's cyclic, it happen in the 80's when I was a kid. It happen in the 90's and at the turn of the millennium.
3. Do you realize how contradictory this statement is? You're the one who mentioned the inner city as if you know how everyone thinks and acts. Like everyone thinks like you. Like you're the only one from the inner city. You ain't special kid. The fact that you're generalizing and stereotyping kids form the hood is disturbing though. That's why everyone had disagreed with your initial statement.

So ? He didn't say it was exclusively folks in ghetto neighborhoods.

Then why did he mention hood NTers and not to NT in general? Seems pretty direct to me.

I'm from the hood, but also college educated. Do I have a hood or ghetto mentality? Because I'm good everywhere I go in any environment, from a board room to the hood.

Last edited:
"'Hood NTkers"?

What?

What are you even talking about? What NTs have I called out for being hood?

Furthermore, I specifically made clear that I wasn't just picking on inner city kids, and that kids from towns like Greenwich and Westport were just as bad at wasting money (this too, I know from experience, because I've been around such people).

Yeahhhh I'm totally done with the back and forth with you, especially now that I am aware that you don't know what you're talking about...:lol:. You just nitpicking and being contrarian just for the hell of it...:lol:.

Last edited:
Why do you assume they're spending all their money?

If I'm in high school or college and save up and buy one, who cares. You have no responsibilities. You can be more frivolous with your money. You still have a roof over your head and can eat.

It's not like dudes are skipping car payments or mortgages, because that's not the main demographic buying them.

You're ignoring the whole concept of saving money. Sure a 15-17 year old kid probably doesn't have any serious bills of his/her own, but that doesn't mean that spending all one's paycheck is a smart financial decision. Down the road, there are plenty of bills to pay - college tuition, car down payments, first/last months' rent on an apartment, down payments on houses/apartments.

Heck, if they want to spend 600-700 dollars on a piece of clothing, at least go out and buy a nice suit that would come in handy at a job interview.

You're ignoring the whole concept of saving money. Sure a 15-17 year old kid probably doesn't have any serious bills of his/her own, but that doesn't mean that spending all one's paycheck is a smart financial decision. Down the road, there are plenty of bills to pay - college tuition, car down payments, first/last months' rent on an apartment, down payments on houses/apartments.

Heck, if they want to spend 600-700 dollars on a piece of clothing, at least go out and buy a nice suit that would come in handy at a job interview.

C'mon son, there are very few ppl at that age that would buy a suit over some trendy clothes. They ain't worrying about the future, they just want to live in the now. Everyone has blew their money on dumb **** at some point in their lives.

:rofl:

I see where this thread is heading...

Just like the Gucci belt dude...

What job interview @ 15-17 do you need a $700 suit for?
indifferent.gif

You can walk into McDonald's wearing jean shorts chewing bubble gum and get a job.

Back
Top Bottom