Kobe's game 7

CP:
I remember John Hollinger, a guy I hate, and a KNOWN Kobe hater, writing an article after game 5 in which he said, win or lose, Kobe may be the MVP of the finals.  Win or lose. 

Now that's saying something.
As with most words, there are multiple ways to interpet that.Like I said, before the series began I knew that if the Lakers won, Kobe would get MVP. Only way that would fail to be the case would be if Kobe was, I mean, just TERRIBLE. Obviously, that didn't happen (and never will). So before this year's Finals began, I was really impressed with what I saw from Kobe in this year's Finals? No, I just knew that any Finals featuring a league superstar will end up w/ that guy being the MVP if his team wins. David Eckstein winning the MVP of the WS a few years ago for StL w/ Pujols on the roster, that just flat out does not happen in the NBA.
CP:
I think Rondo or Paul get it if Boston won the series
And if the Celtics would have won, I actually WOULD be throwing a fit if anyone other than Rondo was the MVP. I'm not throwing a fit about Kobe over Pau; I would have thrown a fit about anyone over Rondo. He was... CLEARLY... their best player.

CP:
I remember John Hollinger, a guy I hate, and a KNOWN Kobe hater, writing an article after game 5 in which he said, win or lose, Kobe may be the MVP of the finals.  Win or lose. 

Now that's saying something.
As with most words, there are multiple ways to interpet that.Like I said, before the series began I knew that if the Lakers won, Kobe would get MVP. Only way that would fail to be the case would be if Kobe was, I mean, just TERRIBLE. Obviously, that didn't happen (and never will). So before this year's Finals began, I was really impressed with what I saw from Kobe in this year's Finals? No, I just knew that any Finals featuring a league superstar will end up w/ that guy being the MVP if his team wins. David Eckstein winning the MVP of the WS a few years ago for StL w/ Pujols on the roster, that just flat out does not happen in the NBA.
CP:
I think Rondo or Paul get it if Boston won the series
And if the Celtics would have won, I actually WOULD be throwing a fit if anyone other than Rondo was the MVP. I'm not throwing a fit about Kobe over Pau; I would have thrown a fit about anyone over Rondo. He was... CLEARLY... their best player.

CP:
For the first 6 games, I didn't hear anyone beggin for Pau to get the trophy, and I actually heard haters and media types saying Kobe could win it, even in a losing effort.  Think about that.
First off, I haven't been on here much the last few MONTHS, let alone the Finals. But I was definitely singing Pau's praises throughout the series. He had a double-double every night, almost had a triple-double one night (game 3 or 6, I believe).

Second, c'mon, bro... you and I both know no one was talking about Kobe being the MVP even if the Celtics lose. Jerry West averaged freaking 42 ppg in becoming the only MVP of a losing team. Kobe wasn't dominating like THAT, bro.

CP:
For the first 6 games, I didn't hear anyone beggin for Pau to get the trophy, and I actually heard haters and media types saying Kobe could win it, even in a losing effort.  Think about that.
First off, I haven't been on here much the last few MONTHS, let alone the Finals. But I was definitely singing Pau's praises throughout the series. He had a double-double every night, almost had a triple-double one night (game 3 or 6, I believe).

Second, c'mon, bro... you and I both know no one was talking about Kobe being the MVP even if the Celtics lose. Jerry West averaged freaking 42 ppg in becoming the only MVP of a losing team. Kobe wasn't dominating like THAT, bro.

Jeff Van Gundy brought it up in game 5 I believe.  Maybe game 6.  I know because a bunch of women at my job came and asked me about it, they were all pissed off. 
laugh.gif

Trust me, it was mentioned on air. 

And Hollinger had a full article on ESPN.com about the possibility. 

That's enough these days to be considered, talked about. 

And I know he wasn't West territory, I think it was more so him scoring the 38 in game 5, going off for that stretch, and no Celtic doing anything other then one game at a time.  Ray in game 2, KG in game 3, Baby and Nate in game 4, Pierce in game 5.  Rondo was just solid in each of the games, but not crazy great. 

Jeff Van Gundy brought it up in game 5 I believe.  Maybe game 6.  I know because a bunch of women at my job came and asked me about it, they were all pissed off. 
laugh.gif

That's enough these days to be considered, talked about. 

And I know he wasn't West territory, I think it was more so him scoring the 38 in game 5, going off for that stretch, and no Celtic doing anything other then one game at a time.  Ray in game 2, KG in game 3, Baby and Nate in game 4, Pierce in game 5.  Rondo was just solid in each of the games, but not crazy great. 

YOU CANNOT WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS WITH OUT A TEAM!! Even if shaq did win 3 mvp finals shaq isn't going to say "I would of won those chips without kobe" it goes both ways two stars needed each other....sort of like this years free agency TWO STARS ARE GOING TO NEED EACH OTHER TO WIN CHIPS.

YOU CANNOT WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS WITH OUT A TEAM!! Even if shaq did win 3 mvp finals shaq isn't going to say "I would of won those chips without kobe" it goes both ways two stars needed each other....sort of like this years free agency TWO STARS ARE GOING TO NEED EACH OTHER TO WIN CHIPS.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

CP1708:
Honestly, why are you so hung up on 40%?

I really don't get at all why you care about that 40% so hard.
Because you have no rebuttal that completely refutes his 40% factoid.

Why are people acting like the NBA Finals is an open court skills challenge? He played against the toughest defense the NBA has to offer with a broken finger. He was clearly out of gas and playing with all he had out there. Not to mention that the entire team shot poorly. 

After being in 7 of the last 10 Finals we have witnessed, It is now painfully obvious that Kobe won't be truly appreciated until he's gone and the media makes the masses appreciate him. 

Spoiler [+]
Part of MJ's legacy is undoubtedly his influence within the media. Jordan was the prototypical marketing juggernaut. This is partly why you'll never hear of MJ's 6 rings being compared to Bill Russell's 11. Or his stat-lines being compared with Wilt or Big O. But you WILL hear that Lebron is somehow the heir to Jordan's throne. This is the story that the media wanted to tell and even started to tell in some respects. LeBron was touted be on his way to multiple championships while having that oh so simple "Triple-Double Season" that would come so naturally to him.  It's just funny to see how the masses react to being fed nonsense from TV without thinking for themselves (which most people don't). So like I said, people will finally respect Kobe once the TV tells them to.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

CP1708:

Why are people acting like the NBA Finals is an open court skills challenge? He played against the toughest defense the NBA has to offer with a broken finger. He was clearly out of gas and playing with all he had out there. Not to mention that the entire team shot poorly. 

After being in 7 of the last 10 Finals we have witnessed, It is now painfully obvious that Kobe won't be truly appreciated until he's gone and the media makes the masses appreciate him. 

Spoiler [+]
Part of MJ's legacy is undoubtedly his influence within the media. Jordan was the prototypical marketing juggernaut. This is partly why you'll never hear of MJ's 6 rings being compared to Bill Russell's 11. Or his stat-lines being compared with Wilt or Big O. But you WILL hear that Lebron is somehow the heir to Jordan's throne. This is the story that the media wanted to tell and even started to tell in some respects. LeBron was touted be on his way to multiple championships while having that oh so simple "Triple-Double Season" that would come so naturally to him.  It's just funny to see how the masses react to being fed nonsense from TV without thinking for themselves (which most people don't). So like I said, people will finally respect Kobe once the TV tells them to.

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

23ska909red02 wrote:

CP1708:

Yeah, except that Dwyane Wade and LeBron James played against that exact team's defense earlier in the playoffs and put up better and more efficient numbers than Kobe, yet they are considered as being stopped while Kobe's 40% shooting and 25% shooting in game 7 can't be considered as him being stopped just because he won in the end. He won because of superior coaching and a better supporting cast. And
eyes.gif
@ the finger excuse again. You didn't hear the finger get mentioned when he was playing against the no-defense Suns. If his finger didn't prevent him from hitting those jumpshots against the Suns, then I guess it must've gotten really worse in those couple of days of rest before the Boston series.

23ska909red02 wrote:

CP1708:

Yeah, except that Dwyane Wade and LeBron James played against that exact team's defense earlier in the playoffs and put up better and more efficient numbers than Kobe, yet they are considered as being stopped while Kobe's 40% shooting and 25% shooting in game 7 can't be considered as him being stopped just because he won in the end. He won because of superior coaching and a better supporting cast. And
eyes.gif
@ the finger excuse again. You didn't hear the finger get mentioned when he was playing against the no-defense Suns. If his finger didn't prevent him from hitting those jumpshots against the Suns, then I guess it must've gotten really worse in those couple of days of rest before the Boston series.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

23ska909red02 wrote:

CP1708:

eyes.gif

I know I'm pretty much talking to a brick wall with you, but I'm bored so I'll throw in for the time being.

Explain this to me: Who wins? The team with the most points or the team with the best shooting percentage? You are set on the 40% because that is all you have to try and discredit Kobe. And that is all you want to do.

Someone says Kobe won, you'll say that he doesn't deserve credit.
Someone says Kobe scored 23 poinst in game 7 to lead all scorers, you'll say that he shot inefficiently.
Someone says Kobe had the key assist to Ron Artest, you'll say that he only had 2 assists. 
Someone says Kobe snagged 15 rebounds, you'll say Gasol had 18.
Someone says Kobe was throwing up 30 pt games like it was nothing throughout the playoffs, you'll say he was off when it mattered.
Someone says Kobe had 15 freethrow attempts, you'll say he was bailed out by the refs.

I doubt someone like you would ever dare mention that Kobe is the glue that keeps the Lakers together. Kobe is the one in his teammates' ears at every dead ball. Why do his teammtes feel that it's worth mentioning that they play at the level that they do because they have a leader who demands the best from them? Does he deserve ANY credit for the things you can't measure with a box score stat?

You are also discrediting Boston's defensive effort to hold one on the greatest scorers the game has seen to 6-24 shooting. But I can understand why to a certain extent. For someone like you, it's a lot sexier to say Kobe was 6-24 from the floor with 4 turnovers than it is to say that he had 23 points and 15 rebounds. Why? Because the 23 and 15 are evidence to the fact that Kobe was not "stopped." He was held to a poor shooting night. There is a difference. He got to the line and gave his team points while the clock was stopped. He snagged 11 defensive rebounds to take away 2nd chance points from Boston. And I didn't mention the finger as an excuse for him shooting 40%. I mentioned it because I still can't believe that he played the whole damn season that way with tape and all.

Long story short, I'm just giving Kobe credit for what he does (win), while you're preoccupied with your dislike of how he does it.

So I'll end by saying that
70% > 40%  [+]
7 Finals appearances in 10 NBA Seasons > 40% shooting performance in a series

23ska909red02 wrote:

CP1708:

eyes.gif

I know I'm pretty much talking to a brick wall with you, but I'm bored so I'll throw in for the time being.

Explain this to me: Who wins? The team with the most points or the team with the best shooting percentage? You are set on the 40% because that is all you have to try and discredit Kobe. And that is all you want to do.

Someone says Kobe scored 23 poinst in game 7 to lead all scorers, you'll say that he shot inefficiently.
Someone says Kobe had the key assist to Ron Artest, you'll say that he only had 2 assists. 
Someone says Kobe was throwing up 30 pt games like it was nothing throughout the playoffs, you'll say he was off when it mattered.
Someone says Kobe had 15 freethrow attempts, you'll say he was bailed out by the refs.

I doubt someone like you would ever dare mention that Kobe is the glue that keeps the Lakers together. Kobe is the one in his teammates' ears at every dead ball. Why do his teammtes feel that it's worth mentioning that they play at the level that they do because they have a leader who demands the best from them? Does he deserve ANY credit for the things you can't measure with a box score stat?

You are also discrediting Boston's defensive effort to hold one on the greatest scorers the game has seen to 6-24 shooting. But I can understand why to a certain extent. For someone like you, it's a lot sexier to say Kobe was 6-24 from the floor with 4 turnovers than it is to say that he had 23 points and 15 rebounds. Why? Because the 23 and 15 are evidence to the fact that Kobe was not "stopped." He was held to a poor shooting night. There is a difference. He got to the line and gave his team points while the clock was stopped. He snagged 11 defensive rebounds to take away 2nd chance points from Boston. And I didn't mention the finger as an excuse for him shooting 40%. I mentioned it because I still can't believe that he played the whole damn season that way with tape and all.

Long story short, I'm just giving Kobe credit for what he does (win), while you're preoccupied with your dislike of how he does it.

70% > 40%  [+]

23ska909red02 wrote:

CP1708:

eyes.gif
^by far the lamest attempt to discredit kobe again... go back and read OP's opening post.... READING IS FUNDAMENTAL and you should try it sometimes
laugh.gif
... the greatest players had some of the worst playoff performances in history and still won championships... or is that too hard for you to comprehend??? you have a problem with great players having bad games? you should try out for the nba and show us how its suppose to be done... LMAO at your "no defense suns"... go back watch game 6 and see how many difficult in your face shots kobe made against the suns "no-defense".

so keep up the lame hate job... at the end of the day, your hate makes this championship even sweeter. Kobe 5 > Lefail 0...
devil.gif
laugh.gif
Lakeshow!

23ska909red02 wrote:

CP1708:

eyes.gif
^by far the lamest attempt to discredit kobe again... go back and read OP's opening post.... READING IS FUNDAMENTAL and you should try it sometimes
laugh.gif
... the greatest players had some of the worst playoff performances in history and still won championships... or is that too hard for you to comprehend??? you have a problem with great players having bad games? you should try out for the nba and show us how its suppose to be done... LMAO at your "no defense suns"... go back watch game 6 and see how many difficult in your face shots kobe made against the suns "no-defense".

so keep up the lame hate job... at the end of the day, your hate makes this championship even sweeter. Kobe 5 > Lefail 0...
devil.gif
laugh.gif
Lakeshow!

What a horrible article.  SMH @ people still not realizing how big of an affect Duncan has/had on the entire game, they're just throwing up his shooting #'s.  No mention of his D, rebounding and passing.  

What a horrible article.  SMH @ people still not realizing how big of an affect Duncan has/had on the entire game, they're just throwing up his shooting #'s.  No mention of his D, rebounding and passing.  

Xtapolapacetl wrote:

TraSoul82 wrote:

23ska909red02 wrote:

CP1708:

eyes.gif

70% > 40%  [+]

I'm a brick wall? Nowhere in your reply to you address my pointing out how Wade and LeBron played against THE SAME Boston defense in the 2010 playoffs and outperformed Kobe by putting up better and more efficient numbers, but you keep on going about how how phenomenal this very same Boston defense is. And in the end, neither of Wade or Bron won because they didn't have a teammate putting up 19, 12, 4 and 3.

Someone says that Kobe didn't win jack *%+$ except lottery and first round exists between 2004 and 2007 and you say it's because he didn't have teammates.
Someone says that Kobe is winning now because he has great teammates and you say it's because of Kobe.
Someone says "Gasoft" bailed Kobe out by grabbing his 9th offensive rebound off a Kobe missed 3-pointer and preventing the Celtics from tying the game with a 3 deep in the fourth and you say nothing.
Someone says that Kobe has a bad game when he has a bad game and you say it's because of the finger.

And yeah, you best believe I'll say that Kobe is out "when it mattered" to point out just how hypocritical you Kobe stanboys are. Because all I hear from you Kobe stanboys throughout the regular season is that he's better than LeBron because he scores when it matters, aka game winners. "LeBron can put up 38, 12 and 8, but Kobe hits game winners". But when Kobe bricks up game 7 of the finals, then it's about everything else but the game 7. Customizing the criteria over and over and over again. You point out that Kobe had 15 rebounds. I've pointed out that he rebounded great, but that was the only thing he did. And BTW, when LeBron grabbed 19 rebounds in final game 6 against the Celtics, he "gave up" according to Kobe stanboys. So anyway, you point out that he had 15 rebounds. Let me ask you this: Is Kobe's basketball reputation built as being great rebounder or a great/most clutch scorer and best jump shooter according to Kobe stanboys? But of course, when he has the worst shooting percentage of any Finals MVP (haven't checked the stats, but I'm pretty sure that no Finals MVP since 1980 shot under .405) and the so clutch Kobe shoots 6 out of 24 in the crucial all-or-nothing, do-or-die game 7 of the NBA Finals, then somehow it's his 15 rebounds that mattered. Go ahead Kobe stanboy, customize some more.

Xtapolapacetl wrote:

TraSoul82 wrote:

23ska909red02 wrote:

CP1708:

eyes.gif

70% > 40%  [+]

I'm a brick wall? Nowhere in your reply to you address my pointing out how Wade and LeBron played against THE SAME Boston defense in the 2010 playoffs and outperformed Kobe by putting up better and more efficient numbers, but you keep on going about how how phenomenal this very same Boston defense is. And in the end, neither of Wade or Bron won because they didn't have a teammate putting up 19, 12, 4 and 3.

Someone says that Kobe didn't win jack *%+$ except lottery and first round exists between 2004 and 2007 and you say it's because he didn't have teammates.
Someone says that Kobe is winning now because he has great teammates and you say it's because of Kobe.
Someone says "Gasoft" bailed Kobe out by grabbing his 9th offensive rebound off a Kobe missed 3-pointer and preventing the Celtics from tying the game with a 3 deep in the fourth and you say nothing.
Someone says that Kobe has a bad game when he has a bad game and you say it's because of the finger.

And yeah, you best believe I'll say that Kobe is out "when it mattered" to point out just how hypocritical you Kobe stanboys are. Because all I hear from you Kobe stanboys throughout the regular season is that he's better than LeBron because he scores when it matters, aka game winners. "LeBron can put up 38, 12 and 8, but Kobe hits game winners". But when Kobe bricks up game 7 of the finals, then it's about everything else but the game 7. Customizing the criteria over and over and over again. You point out that Kobe had 15 rebounds. I've pointed out that he rebounded great, but that was the only thing he did. And BTW, when LeBron grabbed 19 rebounds in final game 6 against the Celtics, he "gave up" according to Kobe stanboys. So anyway, you point out that he had 15 rebounds. Let me ask you this: Is Kobe's basketball reputation built as being great rebounder or a great/most clutch scorer and best jump shooter according to Kobe stanboys? But of course, when he has the worst shooting percentage of any Finals MVP (haven't checked the stats, but I'm pretty sure that no Finals MVP since 1980 shot under .405) and the so clutch Kobe shoots 6 out of 24 in the crucial all-or-nothing, do-or-die game 7 of the NBA Finals, then somehow it's his 15 rebounds that mattered. Go ahead Kobe stanboy, customize some more.

CP:
23ska:
c'mon, bro... you and I both know no one was talking about Kobe being the MVP even if the Celtics lose.
laugh.gif

Ok, so it was mentioned on-air for a few seconds, and discussed in an article on ESPN. With all the BS that is mentioned in an NBA telecast and with all the BS that we complain about hearing/reading from ESPN, it's obviously still safe to say no serious discussion/consideration took place by anyone, anywhere about Kobe being the MVP in a BOS championship.

CP:
23ska:
c'mon, bro... you and I both know no one was talking about Kobe being the MVP even if the Celtics lose.
laugh.gif

Ok, so it was mentioned on-air for a few seconds, and discussed in an article on ESPN. With all the BS that is mentioned in an NBA telecast and with all the BS that we complain about hearing/reading from ESPN, it's obviously still safe to say no serious discussion/consideration took place by anyone, anywhere about Kobe being the MVP in a BOS championship.

What's considered a serious discussion? People were talking about it.

It wasn't like ALL the coaches around the league were gun ho about Kobe being the MVP win, lose, or draw.

BUT, Kobe being MVP in a losing was definitely mentioned. I didn't pay it much mind because one, I didn't want to lose, and two,
I know better. They would have given it to Pierce or Rondo or Garnett....hell, they would have given Doc the MVP before they
gave it to Kobe in a losing effort.

What's considered a serious discussion? People were talking about it.

It wasn't like ALL the coaches around the league were gun ho about Kobe being the MVP win, lose, or draw.

BUT, Kobe being MVP in a losing was definitely mentioned. I didn't pay it much mind because one, I didn't want to lose, and two,
I know better. They would have given it to Pierce or Rondo or Garnett....hell, they would have given Doc the MVP before they
gave it to Kobe in a losing effort.

Back
Top Bottom