**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

man just give me the Sunday whites and the golden yellow jawns…Nike can keep all these extra new wack ones

If Lebron is slimming down, then maybe he tryna start at shooting guard lol

Russ
Bron
Melo
AD
DH

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if this is ends up being the starting group.

Rob and Frank probably want a starting 5 with all HOF'rs. It's the absolute Hollywood thing to do

If Lebron is slimming down, then maybe he tryna start at shooting guard lol

Russ
Bron
Melo
AD
DH

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if this is ends up being the starting group.

Rob and Frank probably want a starting 5 with all HOF'rs. It's the absolute Hollywood thing to do
I got $150 Dwight isn't the designated starting 5

I got $150 Dwight isn't the designated starting 5
Nah bro, you bet me $150 on the NBA thread that DH or DJ wouldn't start.

I accepted and raised you to $200 but you didn't respond

I'll do $150 or $200 under the original bet below...

I say Dwight or DeAndre starts at center
You say AD starts at center

Nah bro, you bet me $150 on the NBA thread that DH or DJ wouldn't start.

I accepted and raised you to $200 but you didn't respond

I'll do $150 or $200 under the original bet below...

I say Dwight or DeAndre starts at center
You say AD starts at center
I never took the other bet

Nope. I've received some intel that DJ has a chance to start. No way in hell Dwight starts tho..
Doing that due diligence eh?

It's clear one of the two bigs will start. Dwight is probably better anchoring the 2nd unit because he is better defensively than Jordan

Starting group already has AD for the defense and Jordan may be the better fit at center with the starters because Russ and DJ gonna go buckwild with the PNR Lob game.

What I actually think happens is that Jordan starts to open the season, Lakers/Russ struggle with spacing and AD is basically forced to start by December

LeBron James’ minutes, L.A. vs. other contenders, starting and closing lineups: Lakers mailbag, part 1

Lakers training camp, believe it or not, is just two weeks away. As the offseason winds down, it’s time to start delving into some preseason storylines.

In part one of our two-part mailbag, we cover where the Lakers rank among the NBA’s elite, the team’s most surprising free-agent signing, LeBron James’ minutes this season, the most likely opening night starting lineup and more.

(Submitted questions have been edited for clarity and length.)

How do the Lakers compare to other contenders? — @UnderDaHardwood

I have the Lakers as a top-three team entering next season. I think they’re the West favorites. I can’t put them ahead of the Nets until I see the Lakers play together and, more importantly, how Russell Westbrook fits alongside James and Anthony Davis. The Nets’ trio fits better offensively than the Lakers’ trio — they have better collective shooting, spacing and off-ball movement — and their chemistry should improve with another training camp and regular season under their belt.

As we saw last season, though, Brooklyn struggled to defend Davis and James, respectively, in the two regular-season matchups. There’s a chance, however slight, that the Nets are the better team but the Lakers still win a Finals series because of their superior defense (the Lakers’ defense will likely drop off next season, but to what extent is unclear). The Nets’ offense is probably great enough to negate any defensive issues — as it seemingly was with Kevin Durant, a one-legged James Harden and no Kyrie Irving against the eventual champion Milwaukee Bucks in the Eastern Conference semifinals — but we’ll see next postseason.

Out West, I think the Suns, Jazz and Warriors — depending on when Klay Thompson returns, and in what condition — can push the Lakers for the No. 1 seed. I’d pick the Lakers over any of those three teams — and any other West team — in a playoff series. Denver and the Clippers are two wild cards with the health of Jamal Murray and Kawhi Leonard, respectively. I’d peg them as the two biggest threats to the Lakers when they’re at full strength.

Overall, I have the Lakers ranked third behind the Nets and Bucks, who deserve respect as the defending champs returning largely the same roster, entering the 2021-22 season. But I’m open to changing my opinion during the preseason.

Which free-agent signing surprised you the most? And why? — @SportsMatt12

The free-agency signing that surprised me most was Kendrick Nunn for the Lakers’ taxpayer midlevel exception.

It seemed like Nunn could’ve gotten more money elsewhere — at least a portion of the non-taxpayer midlevel exception. He’s also joining a situation in which he’s unlikely to get the type of role and playing time he’s accustomed to.

Westbrook, the Lakers’ starting point guard, is a perennial All-Star who’s averaged 34.3 or more minutes in 11 of his 13 seasons. Nunn might be capped at 15 to 18 minutes a night in Los Angeles. He and Westbrook can certainly play together, but Nunn is too small and not good enough defensively to consistently make that pairing work against the game’s best backcourts (barring a defensive jump by Nunn, which can’t be ruled out under head coach Frank Vogel).

Additionally, I thought it was an interesting use of the Lakers’ taxpayer midlevel exception. Value-wise, Nunn is about as good as the Lakers realistically could’ve done in the $6 million range. On the one hand, it was a no-brainer decision. On the other hand, the Lakers had greater needs to address on the wing (a better 3-and-D option) and in the frontcourt (a stretch big similar to Markieff Morris). Between Westbrook, James, Talen Horton-Tucker and a minimum point guard (who ended up being Rajon Rondo) the Lakers have enough playmaking and minutes at the lead ballhandler spot.

Malik Monk on a minimum contract was a close second. I thought someone would take a chance on him with their biannual exception or a portion of the taxpayer midlevel exception. That’s good value and a smart gamble by the Lakers.

Finally, I was a bit surprised by the Carmelo Anthony signing. It was clear Anthony was a target given his close friendship with James, but I just don’t see a clear pathway for 18-plus minutes for him with James, Davis, Trevor Ariza and Kent Bazemore in the frontcourt. Anthony accepted a bench role last season in Portland and theoretically is again in Los Angeles. But I think his eventual role could be smaller than most believe, especially during the deeper rounds of the playoffs when defense matters even more.

What’s the closing lineup? — @masonmitchell98

I’ve written multiple times about potential lineups and rotations, so read more about the five lineups I’d like to see next season here.

James, Davis and Westbrook are the three closing locks. The other two spots will change depending on the matchup and context of the game, but I suspect Bazemore, Ariza and Nunn will be the three players slotting into those openings most often.

Bazemore and Ariza are the Lakers’ two best non-James two-way wings. They offer switchability on defense, and while they aren’t going to bend a defense, they’re both average-to-above-average 3-point shooters who can make a defense pay for ignoring them (which inevitably will happen). Nunn, meanwhile, can close against smaller backcourts or backcourts with an offensive liability. He’ll offer additional ballhandling, shooting, playmaking and a scoring punch.

Horton-Tucker could enter the closing equation if he improves as a spot-up 3-point shooter and off-ball defender. Anthony, Wayne Ellington and Monk could also close, in certain contexts, if they’re scorching. Dwight Howard makes sense against Nikola Jokic, Joel Embiid, etc.

What do you think LeBron’s minutes will be throughout the season? — @masonmitchell98

Since the 2016-17 season, James’ minutes have been trending downward in the regular season as he’s entered his mid and late 30s.

Based on that trend, it seems realistic for James to play around 31 to 32 minutes a night in his age-37 and 19th season. This is where Westbrook’s value as a scorer, shot creator and playmaker will be critical for Los Angeles in the regular season.

I think the Lakers learned last season that they have to be careful with how much of a workload they put on James’ broad shoulders. He’s so great that it’s easy to forget about his age and historic level of mileage. Home-court advantage is important for Los Angeles this season, but James’ health toward the end of the season is even more important.

What does the potential opening night starting lineup look like? — @amandigest
Prediction for starting lineup at the beginning of the season and at the beginning of the playoffs? Any changes? — @TheDaddyJace

Similar to the closing lineup answer above, I’ve written about this, so read more about it here. My new prediction is Davis starting at center alongside James, Westbrook, Bazemore and either Ariza or Ellington.

If, for some reason, Davis isn’t the starting center during the regular season, I expect him to start at center during the postseason, as long as the Lakers aren’t playing a Jokic-type (I think Howard will get the assignment there again).

In that case, I think the regular-season starting group will be Howard, Davis, James, Ellington and Westbrook.

Who will start at shooting guard? — @irvchav

If the Lakers start a traditional center (Howard or DeAndre Jordan), I think Ellington has to start. Otherwise, they’re risking deploying some disastrous spacing. If I’m an opposing defense, I’m packing the paint and daring Westbrook, Davis and Bazemore to shoot.

If Davis starts, the Lakers can start Ellington and Bazemore, with Ellington playing shooting guard, or Bazemore and Ariza, with Bazemore at shooting guard.

These are multiple options. I’d say the current favorite is Ellington. But it’s between Ellington and Bazemore.

Who’s getting minutes at the three? And who do you think gets squeezed out of the rotation between Monk, Bazemore and Ellington? — @JohnyyRicco

Well, for starters, James. I have him at small forward in two of the Lakers’ three theoretical starting lineups (Howard/Jordan at center, Davis at center with James at the four and Davis at center with Ariza at the four).

Beyond him, I expect Bazemore, Horton-Tucker and Ariza to play small forward in varying amounts. Given my confidence in Ellington likely starting, I think Monk is the wing that’s squeezed from the rotation. However, if Ellington doesn’t start, I think Monk has the opportunity to surpass him in the rotation, depending on if his 3-point improvement sustains and he can defend at a decent level.

Ultimately, the center rotation — whether Davis starts at center and how much he’s willing to play at center overall — will have a trickle-down effect on the rest of the rotation that is difficult to project right now.

Possibility of James Ennis joining the Lakers? — @fearthebestteam

There has been noise for over a week about James Ennis to the Lakers. I like him as a backend roster player (and possibly a backend rotation player, depending on how other players perform).

Among the available options, I’d still prefer Wesley Matthews, who’s already familiar with the Lakers’ system and was a productive role player down the stretch last season. Matthews is due for regression to the mean as a shooter after a career-worst 3-point shooting season.

Ennis is bigger than Matthews and is coming off a season in which he shot 43.3 percent on 2.5 3-point attempts per game. However, the season prior, he shot 32.5 percent on 3s in Philadelphia and Orlando, meaning we’ve seen the two extremes of his shooting, and he’s likely somewhere in the middle (36 to 37 percent).

Either play would be a solid option to bolster the wing depth and fill the roster’s 14th spot.

Do the Lakers go with a regular or matchup-based rotation? — @Christoff_14

We have two seasons of data that exhibit how Vogel handles a deep rotation (with last season being the more appropriate comparison). Vogel is going to ride with his 10 to 11 players on a nightly basis. At the same time, he isn’t afraid to mix things up, be it the starting lineup, bench group or the backend of the rotation.

Similar to last season, I suspect the top nine or so spots in the rotation will remain the same. The final rotation spot or two will vacillate. I think the top nine in the rotation, in some order, will be James, Davis, Westbrook, Bazemore, Ariza, Horton-Tucker, Nunn, Anthony and Howard. Ellington possibly factors in too, if he starts. I think Monk, Rondo and Jordan will revolve as the 11th rotation player depending on performance and matchup.

Lakers got a new head athletic trainer. Assistant trainer for dubs.
Let’s hope they got it right. We are batting 0 percent with our trainers since Gary

Funny how Mike Bresnahan, who actually covers the Lakers on the Lakers' home network Access SportsNet, said the other day that Jordan will start at center.

BIG LEEMELONE BIG LEEMELONE 👀👀👀👀

I say DH or DJ will start at center. You say AD will start at center come regular season opening night.

I got $150 or $200 ready. Lmk
20210915_181325.jpg

Last edited:
Funny how Mike Bresnahan, who actually covers the Lakers on the Lakers' home network Access SportsNet, said the other day that Jordan will start at center.

BIG LEEMELONE BIG LEEMELONE 👀👀👀👀

I say DH or DJ will start at center. You say AD will start at center come regular season opening night.

I got $150 or $200 ready. Lmk
$200 Dwight won't start
$5 DJ won't start

My hypotheses is for why lakers taking so long to full roster spot 14 is that they ultimately know they will prob be in market for 2 buyout guys in feb time so they only offering the quin cook special: non guaranteed deals

Lakers literally have two separate starting lineups, with 3 hall of famers in each lineup, that Vogel can probably alternate starting lineups each game depending on matchup.

Against the playoff teams, start Team 1. Against the Kings, Min, Orl, and the rest of the bottom feeders, start Team 2.

Imo, this would be the perfect way to strategically load manage the season considering the average age of this group.

Vogel and staff need to think outside the box.

Team 1: RUSS, Bazemore, BRON, BROW, Jordan

Team 2: RONDO, Horton-Tucker, Ariza, CARMELO, DWIGHT

Spot minutes: Nunn, Ellington, Monk, Cacok

This is no question the deepest Lakers squad in team history.

Last edited:
seeing as how this idiot frank vogel played drummond at the 5 99 percent of the time last year i wouldnt be surprised if dwight or dj is starting at 5 for the majority of the time

Back
Top Bottom