**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

D'lo has been in the league going on 8 years now. He had a breakout season in BK but other than that he's been injury prone and hardly a factor. He's the 3rd best player on a 7 seed after being traded for Andrew Wiggins
Agreed. D'Lo is a non-impact player but will be a good role player off the bench for a contender once he's in his early 30s.

I'm a D'Lo fan, but why is his name being brought up? :lol:

The real mistake was letting Lopez walk for nothing. He would have been perfect next to Bron the following season. But instead we gave $16M combined to Rondo, Beasley and Lance.
Right. There's definitely way dumber things the Lakers have done since then :lol:

This is why his name is brought up

Then apparently "we" all cheered when he was traded.

But you are right about Lopez. Never understood why we let him walk. Seems we like doing that. Same thing with Javale. Just let him walk.
I can't even begin to imagine Lopez and McGee on this roster right now with AD and Bron SMH

I mean...jokes aside, I'm really trying to understand where he is coming from.

His example with CP makes sense...

But a team with Bron and AD should at least make the playin. Injuries or not.

Yes the roster construction wasn't the best, but ate we saying Reggie Jackson, and the role players the Clippers had all year is better than Bron, AD and Russ?

The lame jabs at J. Kidd make no sense. A player can get hurt in any game. Our squad for sure knows that.

I don't know. I'll wait on the next book.

We are all watching the HBO Showtime show, right? I’m going to use this example since we are kind of seeing it again, for the first time. :lol: (Understand, I know the show is fictional in ways, so I will use only the facts of the case)

Jerry Buss wanted a big name coach. Jerry West had just quit. Buss wanted a big name, a big fish. A popular coach. Instead, he got a random assistant from Portland. That guy, almost died 13 games into the season. So his assistant…….who was a teacher the year before, came in to coach.

And won the NBA Title.

A coach quit, hired another, he almost died a month in, brought in his assistant, a teacher the year before, and won the NBA title.

It gets better……

Magic did not like Westhead. (allegedly) He wanted him fired a year later. So Buss fired Westhead, and named…….Jerry West Head Coach. Jerry West said no. It would be……..Pat Riley.

Where did Pat Riley come from? :nerd: The broadcast booth, next to Chick Hearn. (He had moved up to assistant with Westhead)

And then Riley won the NBA title in his first year.

:lol: :rofl:

Guys, guys, guys, why don’t we just hire Stu Lantz? :nerd:

You guys are tellin me coaching is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo important, that the absolute best franchise the NBA has (which wasn’t that way at the time btw) literally watched West step down, replacement almost die, next replacement step in, win the title, that guy gets fired a year later, his replacement steps in, and he ALSO wins the NBA title, and your beliefs are “coaching matters”? Magic and Kareem don’t give a **** who the coach is. :lol:

Steve Kerr was never a coach, at any level. Then he got the Warriors job, AND WENT TO FIVE STRAIGHT NBA FINALS. The man had literally never been an NBA coach, and won a title his first year on the job. Ty Lue had never been an NBA head coach, and beat Kerr the next year.

Coaching is so important, and so crucial, that I have named 4 guys that walked in off the street and won titles in their first year. (I assume there’s more, but God I hope not) Maybe I just found the only four in history, off the top of my head.)

Nick Nurse won his title in Toronto, over Steve Kerr……..KD and Klay bein hurt prolly didn’t have anything to do with it tho, right? Nurse still would have beat Kerr, even with a healthy KD and Klay, right? Nurse and those Raptors were just a team of destiny……(I’ll pretend they hadn’t just added a healthy Kawhi to the lineup, we’ll gloss past that……) OMG no, was that Nick Nurse’s first year as a head coach too? :lol: :rofl:

Ok, I give. You guys have won me over. NBA Head Coaching is very important. I’m on board. Let’s go get a first time NBA Head Coach and win the chip next year. :smokin

Oh yeah? We’ll how did Del Harris and Doug Collins do before PJ took over?
5D901D06-5994-4AAD-9E21-220E0D059691.gif

Coaches play a role that armchair QBs who don't play sports don't understand, C CP1708 . That's it. Like I said and you continue to dodge: Literally no one said "If we had a good coach we would win the championship." Not 1 person. You keep responding like anyone has said that when no one has. But even the coaches you named that came off the street, (not really, but that fits your narrative so OK), they have something else on common that's lost in you, because armchair QBs who don't play basketball don't get it.

-foe

We are all watching the HBO Showtime show, right? I’m going to use this example since we are kind of seeing it again, for the first time. :lol: (Understand, I know the show is fictional in ways, so I will use only the facts of the case)

Jerry Buss wanted a big name coach. Jerry West had just quit. Buss wanted a big name, a big fish. A popular coach. Instead, he got a random assistant from Portland. That guy, almost died 13 games into the season. So his assistant…….who was a teacher the year before, came in to coach.

And won the NBA Title.

A coach quit, hired another, he almost died a month in, brought in his assistant, a teacher the year before, and won the NBA title.

It gets better……

Magic did not like Westhead. (allegedly) He wanted him fired a year later. So Buss fired Westhead, and named…….Jerry West Head Coach. Jerry West said no. It would be……..Pat Riley.

Where did Pat Riley come from? :nerd: The broadcast booth, next to Chick Hearn. (He had moved up to assistant with Westhead)

And then Riley won the NBA title in his first year.

:lol: :rofl:

Guys, guys, guys, why don’t we just hire Stu Lantz? :nerd:

You guys are tellin me coaching is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo important, that the absolute best franchise the NBA has (which wasn’t that way at the time btw) literally watched West step down, replacement almost die, next replacement step in, win the title, that guy gets fired a year later, his replacement steps in, and he ALSO wins the NBA title, and your beliefs are “coaching matters”? Magic and Kareem don’t give a **** who the coach is. :lol:

Steve Kerr was never a coach, at any level. Then he got the Warriors job, AND WENT TO FIVE STRAIGHT NBA FINALS. The man had literally never been an NBA coach, and won a title his first year on the job. Ty Lue had never been an NBA head coach, and beat Kerr the next year.

Coaching is so important, and so crucial, that I have named 4 guys that walked in off the street and won titles in their first year. (I assume there’s more, but God I hope not) Maybe I just found the only four in history, off the top of my head.)

Nick Nurse won his title in Toronto, over Steve Kerr……..KD and Klay bein hurt prolly didn’t have anything to do with it tho, right? Nurse still would have beat Kerr, even with a healthy KD and Klay, right? Nurse and those Raptors were just a team of destiny……(I’ll pretend they hadn’t just added a healthy Kawhi to the lineup, we’ll gloss past that……) OMG no, was that Nick Nurse’s first year as a head coach too? :lol: :rofl:

Ok, I give. You guys have won me over. NBA Head Coaching is very important. I’m on board. Let’s go get a first time NBA Head Coach and win the chip next year. :smokin

You have made your point.

So this year was all on Bron, AD, Russ and Pelinka?

Last edited:
Coaches play a role that armchair QBs who don't play sports don't understand, C CP1708 . That's it. Like I said and you continue to dodge: Literally no one said "If we had a good coach we would win the championship." Not 1 person. You keep responding like anyone has said that when no one has. But even the coaches you named that came off the street, (not really, but that fits your narrative so OK), they have something else on common that's lost in you, because armchair QBs who don't play basketball don't get it.

-foe

Ooooooooo.......so these armchair QB's that don't play sports.......they don't know Jack ****ing **** what Vogel does or doesn't actually do? 🤔

That's so interesting Ska.

Very, very interesting.

So incredibly interesting.

Ooooooooo.......so these armchair QB's that don't play sports.......they don't know Jack ****ing **** what Vogel does or doesn't actually do? 🤔

Very, very interesting.

But if you think about it...

We are ALL armchair GM'ing and Coaching.

We aren't on the staff, we are all just fans of this team. And we want them to be better.

We clearly have different views and ideas on how that could and should happen....

Maybe its time to put the coaching thing to rest.

Your view is if the right stars are there and the roster is put together right, we should win a chip.

I think we all understand that now. We may not agree...but we understand (or at least, I understand).

Very, very interesting.

You twisted my words, 'Why is a coach important?', to a completely different topic: 'What does a coach do?', specifically 'What does Vogel do? Anyone? Any of you armchair QBs know what he does? No? No one? So very interesting.'

😂😂😂🤣🤣😂🤣🤣

The topic is the importance of a coach. You don't get the importance, and it's a concept lost on armchair QBs that don't play.

-foe

Your view is if the right stars are there and the roster is put together right, we should win a chip.
This is not a difficult concept.

My only issue is with his condescension towards everyone. "You all are too brain dead to see past the guy in a suit. Ok, fine, enjoy Doc effing Rivers."*

Yes, talent wins games. You need a well constructed roster. Injuries play a major role, and they can happen anytime a player jumps in the air, and jumping in the air happens kind of a lot in basketball. Know your rotations. Move the ball, play D. All of these components play a role, and so does coaching.

And the only reason the condescension bothers me is because ZERO OF US HAVE EVER RUN A SPORTS TEAM. So for someone, ANYONE, to think/act like "You all are fools! I have it all figured out!"... well get out of Oregon and go make millions running a team then. You got it, go do it.

*Yep, well aware you never literally said those exact words, dude. 'When did I ever say brain dead?' I can hear the fingers typing the question right now.

-foe

My goodness man why is this still going on? 😂

Talent is the ultimate end all be all to winning.

Coaching plays a small, but still important part.

IMO it’s like being a good teacher. If I have great classroom management, my class is well organized, clear and defined objectives/lesson plans, blah blah blah your class might be a well oiled machine and will look great even when a substitute shows up. But the principal isn’t going to walk into a staff meeting and say teaching doesn’t matter and let’s hire the janitor to do this job instead.

This is not a difficult concept.

My only issue is with his condescension towards everyone. "You all are too brain dead to see past the guy in a suit. Ok, fine, enjoy Doc effing Rivers."*

Yes, talent wins games. You need a well constructed roster. Injuries play a major role, and they can happen anytime a player jumps in the air, and jumping in the air happens kind of a lot in basketball. Know your rotations. Move the ball, play D. All of these components play a role, and so does coaching.

And the only reason the condescension bothers me is Brevard ZERO OF US HAVE EVER RUN A SPORTS TEAM. So for someone, ANYONE, to think/act like "You all are fools! I have it all typified out!"... well get out of Oregon and go make millions running a team then. You got it, go do it.

*Yep, well aware you never literally said those exact words, dude. 'When did I ever say brain dead?' I can hear the fingers typing the question right now.

-foe

That's where I was as well.

No one in the thread is dumb...we do have a delusional guy...but not dumb. None of us deserve Doc. None of us control if he comes or goes.

But hopefully, we have put this to rest.

How about this for change….

Instead of worrying about who the Lakers should bring in, what type of things are you looking for in the next head coach for this franchise?

Number one for me is you have to be able to coach Lebron and AD they have to be held accountable.
Number two is having some type of system on offense that encourages ball movement.
Number three is you have to get guys to commit and buy-in to whatever you’re trying to do defensively.

How about this for change….

Instead of worrying about who the Lakers should bring in, what type of things are you looking for in the next head coach for this franchise?

Number one for me is you have to be able to coach Lebron and AD they have to be held accountable.
Number two is having some type of system on offense that encourages ball movement.
Number three is you have to get guys to commit and buy-in to whatever you’re trying to do defensively.

Lebron James Laughing GIF - Lebron James Laughing Lebron - Discover & Share  GIFs

Yeah I doubt he’ll ever be in a Triangle offense type system of constant ball movement, but even if it’s something like the Cavs days where they mostly wanted the ball moving from side to side then that would be great. Plus there needs to be something in place that the team can fall back on when he’s out of the game/injured.

Back
Top Bottom