**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Tim Connelly, the guy who started building the Nuggets in 2013, is the same Tim Connelly who started building the Wolves in 2022 when he traded for Gobert so his team could add another 7 footer to team up with Naz and KAT to take down the Jokic-AG-MPJ front court he built himself since Connelly knew the secret sauce was how the 2020 champion Lakers roster was built

Connelly was the genius who realized DLo is nothing but a cancer to winning so he got rid of him too and added a savvy VETERAN FLOOR GENERAL LIKE RONDO AND DFISH by the name of Mike Conley.

The more you know about who truly runs the teams in this league, the more you realize how Bum and Dumber this Lakers front office really is for going away from The FORMULA that got them a title.

#rocketscience

7 less rebounds a game between Gordon and MPJ too.

That ****ing circus play where DLo jumps Jokic at half court forces Jokic to throw a pass or wild shot that should go out of bounds. Gordon becomes Randy ****ing Moss. Rui doing absolutely nothing and gets lost. Gordons finds MPJ for 3.

Makes me sick

Last edited:
No. You miss the playoffs both years.

There's a reason the Wolves were happy to get rid of him. I know you'll say contracts/money, but once that new regime came in, it was clear as day they didn't want him. Plus he didn't even get a good contract that off season because of his playoff performances. The Wolves killed that trade.

There's a reason he does not stick anywhere he goes. There's also a reason he has had issues with basically every single coach he has been under in the NBA. Literally every single coach.

The Lakers with Conley would definitely be in the playoffs and probably faired better.

But this is all hindsight. I wanted Dlo over Conley as well. This is coming from a huge Dlo fan for nostalgic purposes, but he's an absolute bum.

There's a reason the Wolves were happy to get rid of him. I know you'll say contracts/money, but once that new regime came in, it was clear as day they didn't want him. Plus he didn't even get a good contract that off season because of his playoff performances. The Wolves killed that trade.

There's a reason he does not stick anywhere he goes. There's also a reason he has had issues with basically every single coach he has been under in the NBA. Literally every single coach.

The Lakers with Conley would definitely be in the playoffs and probably faired better.

But this is all hindsight. I wanted Dlo over Conley as well. This is coming from a huge Dlo fan for nostalgic purposes, but he's an absolute bum.
1716266636772.gif

Who here was part of the OG Dlo hate club aka the Okafor stan club? I need to apologize to all of you.

He was still on a max deal when the new regime came in. Had they wanted him gone immediately, they would have traded him in the off-season to the Jazz.

But on the opposite end, they still needed to get out of any long term deal with him because they’re going to run into blowing up most of the team over the next 2 years anyway. Rudy/KAT/Ant/McDaniels big money deals, NAW UFA, and Naz Reid UFA after this season. DLo wanting a big contract because he’s not 35, isn’t what the Wolves could afford.

But just for reference.

The Wolves 2021-22 DLo/Bev/AE/Vando/KAT +12.8 net rating
And the second half of the 17 games they played together DLo/AE/McDaniels/KAT/Rudy lineup last year (+17 net rating). KAT then gets injured.
Had better net ratings than the Conley led lineup this year (+7.9). And a better defensive rating.

The Lakers went from 13th to 7th after the trade. Went to the WCF. Nuggets went from 7th to 8th and knocked out the first round last year.

You think this run is Conley? And not Ant becoming a top 10-15 two-way player? KAT being significantly healthier? Naz Reid becoming better? A full year of KAT and Rudy?
Conley is a steady PG. A good PG. But get real man.

The Lakers wouldn’t have made the playoffs last year. And wouldn’t have made it this year. To say otherwise is completely ignoring the entire makeup of the team. Or what actually happened for the Lakers.

He was still on a max deal when the new regime came in. Had they wanted him gone immediately, they would have traded him in the off-season to the Jazz.

But on the opposite end, they still needed to get out of any long term deal with him because they’re going to run into blowing up most of the team over the next 2 years anyway. Rudy/KAT/Ant/McDaniels big money deals, NAW UFA, and Naz Reid UFA after this season. DLo wanting a big contract because he’s not 35, isn’t what the Wolves could afford.

But just for reference.

The Wolves 2021-22 DLo/Bev/AE/Vando/KAT +12.8 net rating
And the second half of the 17 games they played together DLo/AE/McDaniels/KAT/Rudy lineup last year (+17 net rating). KAT then gets injured.
Had better net ratings than the Conley led lineup this year (+7.9). And a better defensive rating.

The Lakers went from 13th to 7th after the trade. Went to the WCF. Nuggets went from 7th to 8th and knocked out the first round last year.

You think this run is Conley? And not Ant becoming a top 10-15 two-way player? KAT being significantly healthier? Naz Reid becoming better? A full year of KAT and Rudy?
Conley is a steady PG. A good PG. But get real man.

The Lakers wouldn’t have made the playoffs last year. And wouldn’t have made it this year. To say otherwise is completely ignoring the entire makeup of the team. Or what actually happened for the Lakers.

With all of this you stated literally no team in the league is committing to him. Who will even go after him this off season?

Clearly no one wanted him last off season.

So what gives?

And obviously the run isn't just Conley. I do believe the Wolves wouldn't have done as well with Dlo in place of Conley this season. On top of that they got NAW.

I criticized rookie and sophomore Dlo. I always posted about how slow he was and couldn’t beat the big man when they switched the coverage ie boris diaw. Dlo could literally NEVER blow by the big

That being said I was happy to get him because he was a huge upgrade over BrickBrook

Clearly no one wanted him last off season
I don’t think there’s really a market for him this offseason either. We’ve had some debates in here about Orlando, but my stance has been if I’m a GM or a young team he’s not the type of player I want to bring into my organization.

🤔 I wonder if this is reminiscent of when the 2020 Lakers had AD playing power forward aka Not Guarding Jokic so that AD could roam and protect the paint while the others helped to take Jamal, MPJ, JGrant, Harris, Millsap, and Morris out of rhythm with elite team defense

The Wolves have said, and I have reiterated, that was the entire game plan defensively for almost the entire series. The Wolves goal in the regular season vs. Denver was to focus on his passing/assists because Jokic was always going to get his, but if they stifle Murray, MPJ and Gordon, they won't stand a chance.

You do that by freeing up Rudy to protect the rim and the entire paint, even on the perimeter vs smalls. They put KAT and Naz on Jokic not because theyre the better defender, they both have enough length and athleticism to hopefully make it less easy for Jokic. They went to crowding Jokic game 6, back to the game 1-5 strategy that worked so effectively games 1 and 2 on making sure Murray, MPJ and Gordon don't do any damage...it worked...again. Best defense in the NBA gonna have more than 1 elite defender, typically or a crazy good understanding of team defense...Wolves have both, but Rudy always been the key...that's why they made the trade. What you're saying and seeing is very surface level.
It’s clear the TWolves model their team after Vogel‘s 2019-20 champion Lakers.

Back
Top Bottom