**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

does it really have to be made right?

A non basketball player gave their top 5 lakers.

What weight does her opinion carry?

It's actually kind of typical now. A person passes and now we want to dig old stuff up.

IMO that top 5 thing doesn't matter.

Clearly there were other issues. I wish she had brought Jerry back. I think we were all hoping it would happen when the news came out, but it didn't happen.

Does that make her a bad owner...its your opinion either way...just like her top 5 list.

No, but that's an interesting interpretation.
Like, it's not Jeanie's fault he died, and no one said that, suggested it, implied it, nothing.
There's never a good time to say uncomfortable ****.
"Right now? During the Finals?"
"Seriously? Right after this huge trade?"
It's always a bad time to point out uncomfortable things.
No one is using his death as a strike on her, though. That's ridiculous.
Man.

When I said "this" I was referring to your screenshot post about her not welcoming him back to the franchise as evidence of her being one of the worst owners... like not literally his death.

Again, cmon bro.

This could be as simple as "my dad didn't want anything to do with you, so neither do I"... which to me isn't an indictment of being a bad owner, person or whatever you want to call it. That's just relationships and life... it is what it is.

But if you disagree, you got it man. All to the good.

Yea, I don't agree with any of these passes.

The LA CLIPPERS announced this man's passing. THE CLIPPERS.

The LA Lakers OWNER, left him off her top 5. Her right? Sure. Disrespectful AF? Sure is.

Phil was a big piece of the puzzle to drive Jerry out. And who was with Phil? Jeanie. She took away his season tickets. A man who connected their entire history together. Kareem, Magic, Worthy, Shaq, Kobe, Dr Buss, Mitch, like 40 years worth of history that made her franchise what it was.

Sure, we can all argue over Top 5 this or that, but we really don't matter. The Lakers OWNER, of the 3rd most valuable franchise in the sport, made that way in very large part to that man, it actually does matter.

You see any owners talkin about the Top 5 Pistons of all time? Or Top 5 Charlotte Hornets? No, because of course they don't matter. Our entire brand is built off that. The Lakers DO matter. (or used to)

But letting another team be the one to break the news on literally one of thee most important people in your franchise history is a horrible look. (AGAIN)

Sadly, I expect a really wonderful message from Kareem. Well thought out, heartfelt, well spoken, and class to the nth degree. I don't know if we'll get the same from her, but I hope to God we do.

Ball in peace legend :emoji_fire:
jerry-west-nba-player-the-logo-pose-eehuayzgd89iteq0.jpg

REAL LAKERS NEVER DIE! 💯

They absolutely were.

And a play in team, still.

For the 3rd time in 4 seasons. (Missed playoffs the other)

And now we gonna try to get thru another ~100ish games with both of them healthy. (And they'll be in the Olympics)

But the blame moves from Vogel, Kuz, KCP, Dennis, Russ, Ham, DLo, Reaves, Vando etc. But never the two maximum paid leaders.

Not the two common denominators of all 4 seasons. Always the other folks. :frown:

Lebron and AD played the most games in their Laker careers and were All NBA

and we STILL were a play-in team

What does that tell us about the kind of team we can afford to build around their massive salaries?

The difference between the Clippers who were a 4th seed and the Lakers who were a 7th seed was 4 games. I genuinely believe having a competent coach can swing multiple games. Ham was way in over his head. It was clear. The Lakers wanted a cheap coach. He was only making 5 million a year. Coaches were getting that like 20 years ago.

It's clearly not an easy task, but I do believe the Lakers have the hardest part of building a team already down and that's finding that superstar player to build around. Obviously the Lakers are in a different situation because of Lebron's age, but I'm pretty confident in Lebron. AD is one of the best second options in the league as well.

What blame do you want AD and LeBron to get? The previous years they weren't healthy. That's all I can really "blame" them for.

Jordan and Kobe adored Jerry

Really disappointing how Jeanie let Phil influence her

We all know Phil kicked him out of a practice on some “keep the ball club separate from the organization”

Jordan and Kobe adored Jerry

Really disappointing how Jeanie let Phil influence her

We all know Phil kicked him out of a practice on some “keep the ball club separate from the organization”
Dr Buss wasn't messing with West towards the end of his tenure with the Lakers either.... that's really where it all originated.

I could be wrong, but after thinking about it some more I think part of the story was that Buss felt West received too much credit for the Lakers success and their relationship soured... I just don't expect the daughter to feel like she has to patch things up because it's the right thing to do.

Not every story is going to finish with a happy ending.

Dr Buss wasn't messing with West towards the end of his tenure with the Lakers either.... that's really where it all originated.

I could be wrong, but after thinking about it some more I think part of the story was that Buss felt West received too much credit for the Lakers success and their relationship soured... I just don't expect the daughter to feel like she has to patch things up because it's the right thing to do.

Not every story is going to finish with a happy ending.

This is pretty much what it comes down to at the end of the day. It's why Jerry abruptly left after the 2000 title.

I'm trying to recall if Jerry said anything after Dr. Buss' passing. Ultimately, life is too short to hold grudges that long, but they're all legends in their own way and will be remembered as such.

Guess Phil couldn't help himself w/ a little shot there at the end about how West was Bill Sharman's assistant (and that he was the real architect of the showtime Lakers) and how Jerry wanted to draft Sidney Moncrief over Magic.

Seems like there's still some real animosity there to even mention that... but like I said earlier it is what it is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom