Lack of responsibility amongst eBay buyers has hit rock bottom

I'm sure many of you are experiencing this, so this is more of a rant.

The fact that you can no longer leave negative feedback for buyers AND buyers seem to receive no punishment for not paying for won auctions (I have not taken the time to read the actual rules/regs/policies on this) has led to even more consistent non-paying bidders. I've searched high and low for a restriction on bidders with less than 3 positive feedbacks to prevent certain bidders but have been unsuccessful.

Buyers no longer are accountable to anything and do not have to take responsibility to pay.

Today it came to a head for me. One auction for a pair of used shoes ended and the buyer with 1 feedback (it was a positive in which the seller stated the buyer never paid!) emailed me and stated he wanted me to clean the soles and send a picture so he could decide if he wanted to buy them or not. The 2nd auction was for a new/DS pair and the buyer emailed me stating he wanted to make sure they were 100% legit before he sent payment.

I responded to both buyers that they obviously do not know how eBay works and that those types of questions should be asked BEFORE they bid.

eBay is just a necessary evil I put up with now. Craigslist and Facebook groups are full of flakes and do not give the same amount of exposure as eBay. The length of time to get paid from consignment stores steers me away from them. In all seriousness, I end up re-listing 30-40% of my auctions due to non-paying bidders. I've unfortunately become accustomed to it now.

I've had an account since '99 and have 600+ positive feedbacks, so it's not like I just started using eBay either.

What have you all resorted to doing?

I just had to take the L. That's what I get for holding onto those sneaks for so long waiting for "the right time" to unDS them. Some of my AF1 Supremes all DS went for like 40 bucks, had some Creative Recs go for I think 4$, Nike Tokis got like $6, barely got MSRP for DS KD 5s. I'm more annoyed by them making me wait 30 days to get my money, defeats the whole purpose of this Paypal debit card

But to what you stated, just have to relist or 2nd chance offer.

Last edited:
Umm everything you're talking about has been going on for years. It's rock bottom because YOU happen to be dealing with it recently?

Anyway, you check your bidders feedback before the auction ends and you would have seen he doesn't pay and you could have canceled his bid and blocked him from bidding. Otherwise just file an unpaid item and if they get enough of them they will get suspended/banned. leave positive feedback indicating they don't pay for auctions they win so more people can see what type of people are bidding on their auctions. I block all new users with zero feedback if I catch them bidding on my stuff. Zero and low feedback bidders do actually pay sometimes though.

Is there not an option to buy it now with immediate payment anymore?

If so, go that route - List them for an good price and knowledgeable buyers will buy. If you are trying to squeeze every buck you can, then you are just SOL with the new policies. I haven't sold kicks in a minute but I will not go to eBay when I do. I'll list them here and let people call me crazy for the prices I want. However, if you want them bad enough, you will pay for em.

The good 'ol days of paying a one-time fee to list an item based on it's price. No commission. I miss it.

Take a seat. This has not been going on for years. If you started selling on like 2010, then yes your statement would be correct. It's progressively gotten worse in recent years as eBay has babied the bidders and let them do whatever they want. As you can see I do not sell all that often, but this ain't my first rodeo. Been selling on there since '99 and it was NOTHING like it is now.

Take a seat. This has not been going on for years. If you started selling on like 2010, then yes your statement would be correct. It's progressively gotten worse in recent years as eBay has babied the bidders and let them do whatever they want. As you can see I do not sell all that often, but this ain't my first rodeo. Been selling on there since '99 and it was NOTHING like it is now.

Umm 2010 was 3 years ago, so yes it has been going on for years. What exactly has ebay done in the last year or two to baby the bidders? You're mad cause you got a couple dead beat bidders, i deal with 2-3 a week, I think I know what i am talking about. I agree it is ****** up bu this is nothing new, maybe new to you but as I said it's been this way for years.

There has definitely been an increased amount of flukey ebay buyers, I've experienced it myself in the recent year or so.

It's become too easy for buyers not to be obligated for their actions - from bidding and then not paying, to leaving negative feedback, to opening disputes for unwarranted reasons.

I tend to sell items using buy it now, with immediate payment required. It eliminates the fluke bidders, but you still aren't too safe as a seller at that point.

I guess until eBay makes a significant improvement in this grey area of buyers-rights; we have to deal with it, or turn to NT's classifieds section. It's still very much efficient.

Use buy it now feature, goggle maps buyers address, use fed ex as much as you can, insurance and signature tracking put the increase shipping costs on the buyer, contact the zero feedback buyer, if he doesn't respond in 24 hrs refund,cancel auction, and relist.
If your selling shoes, you have to remember what type of market your dealing with riff raff and kiddies.

Umm 2010 was 3 years ago, so yes it has been going on for years. What exactly has ebay done in the last year or two to baby the bidders? You're mad cause you got a couple dead beat bidders, i deal with 2-3 a week, I think I know what i am talking about. I agree it is ****** up bu this is nothing new, maybe new to you but as I said it's been this way for years.

Ok I didn't know I made this post to one up another person, but it appears you must show that things are definitely worst for you and you must tell us all. Tell me, how has eBay been for you since '99 (check my ID - hoopsboy)? And no, like another poster just said as well, it has not been this bad as recently as recently as 2010. So you deal with it a bit more than me, what does this prove? Thanks for not adding anything to this post.

MOVING ON...

I listened to y'alls advice about fixed price listings with immediate payment required. We shall see what happens.

Same thing happened to me last month. Tried selling my DS white Jordan 18s. They were up for sale for all of a half an hour before this person with 136 feedback clicked buy it now. Never paid for the item, yet I had to pay final value fees - WTH. I tried contacting ebay about it and they said they time to pay for the item. Fast forward a few weeks and I try and get my final value fees back, but ebay said I waited too long.

You must be dealing with the wrong people. 
laugh.gif

If the deadbeats sell items on ebay as well I win their auctions with my backup account and leave terrible disparging negative feedback to destroy their rep.

If they don't sell. Poopsenders.com is a good option. Either way I'm a spiteful person that gets the last laugh.

though I have success on CL, I do get the ebay craigslister from time to time.

"Hey, can I try them on" I just had to respond.

"Hey, I have XX amount, cash today" But never show up

If you're an L.A. seller, beware Travis Tachibana, he will flake 9 times out of 10. I say this with certainty since out of 10 shoes he's said he wanted, he's only come

through for 1.

Last edited:
Honestly it's all luck no matter what you're dealing with. It's all about listing for free that way no matter what you didn't lose anything

Back
Top Bottom