[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
I was telling my dad so lakers are thinking of trading pau. He is first reaction....Again? Lmao

Jodie:
My guy Jodie :pimp:

Not sure that will come to pass, but :pimp: nonetheless.

That makes it Farmar, Jodie & Swagerton von P who truly want to play in LA for a long time.

I know you really dont believe that? Its whereever the money is is where they want to play for a long time

Lakers reportedly in talks to trade Pau Gasol to Phoenix

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baske...rs-fyi-20140203,0,5095796.story#ixzz2sEHUYWoT

By Mike Bresnahan

February 2, 2014, 8:11 p.m.

The Lakers have moved closer to starting their rebuilding process, engaging in trade discussions with the Phoenix Suns for veteran forward Pau Gasol, according to a person familiar with the situation.

The Lakers are hoping to shed Gasol's salary and accrue future draft picks before the Feb. 20 trade deadline.

It's usually a no-no to deal with a division rival, but the Suns have quietly stockpiled draft choices and can offer the Lakers a first-rounder in the June draft, considered one of the best in years. The Suns could hold up to four first-round picks this year, depending on the records of past trade partners Minnesota, Indiana and Washington.

The Lakers are almost surely lottery-bound and currently hold the seventh pick in the draft.

As part of the deal, the Lakers would acquire veteran center Emeka Okafor, who has not played this season because of a neck injury. The trade talks were first reported by ESPN.com.

Gasol, 33, arrived from Memphis six years ago almost to the day, helping push the Lakers to three consecutive NBA Finals appearances, two of which ended successfully for them.

But the Lakers have all but punted the 2013-14 season, mired in injuries and tied for 13th place in the Western Conference with a 16-31 record.

Gasol was dragged down with everything else, his stats falling as he complained about his role in Coach Mike D'Antoni's offense.

But he rallied recently, averaging 20.8 points and 11.9 rebounds last month. He scored 20 or more points in his last 10 games, the longest such streak of his career.

Gasol would be comfortable with a trade to the Suns, eager to prove himself in a new system on a better team, according to a person familiar with his thinking.

He is in the last year of a contract paying him $19.3 million this season. He is sidelined until at least next week because of a strained groin that first took root Tuesday against Indiana.

Okafor, 31, is making $14.5 million in the final year of his contract. An insurance clause could potentially cover about $5 million of his contract, making him more attractive to the Lakers.

Okafor has career averages of 12.3 points and 9.9 rebounds but might not play this season.

If Gasol is traded, the Lakers have few frontcourt options. Jordan Hill is limited offensively, Ryan Kelly is only a rookie, Robert Sacre is in his second NBA season, and veteran Chris Kaman has fallen out of favor with D'Antoni.

The Lakers weren't expected to challenge for anything noteworthy this season, but reality became worse when injuries hit their aging roster.

Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash have each played only six games this season. Steve Blake, Jordan Farmar, and Xavier Henry have also missed substantial swaths of time.

Phoenix, on the other hand, has exceeded dim expectations and is sixth in the West with a 29-18 record. The Suns do not have a proven threat in the post, relying more on speed and perimeter shooting.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baske...rs-fyi-20140203,0,5095796.story#ixzz2sEH81flF

Pretty much an echo of Stein's article that @PMatic posted, but this one seems to indicate that it is a being considered more than just an exploratory phone call.

Last edited:
as long as we find pau a good home with owners that will take good care of him 
embarassed.gif

In terms of luxury tax concerns. We are $7.288mil from being under the tax.

Pau for Emeka saves us $4.798mil. We will also get a trade exception.

Would need to clear about $2.5mil in subsequent trades by deadline to get under the luxury tax.. Means that a combination of Blake, Kaman and Hill will all be gone to get under that luxury tax in whatever combination works.

Last edited:
i love pau, but its time to do this trade.  Sorry havent been keeping up on this thread,  whats the deal with rumors with bledsoe?  lakers trying to sign him for big money in the off season?

Do you guys follow K-Marshall on twitter?

I have to admit. The kid has a pretty funny sense of humor. :lol:

Last edited:
Saw this bit last night.

Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 12h
The Lakers are looking to trade Gasol (and maybe others) now as opposed to letting their deals expire to get under the league's luxury-tax.

So it seems we should be expecting a trade eventually.

Pau is like a vampire when it comes to trades. Cannot kill him. Still 50/50 that we can trade him.

Also Kobe is apparently having a sit down with Exum who is training in LA

yup, not going to celebrate a pau gasol trade till i see him in another teams jersey

kobe needs to take some more time off this year so he can visit more top prospects 
pimp.gif

At least it appears Mitch is in the sell-now mindset. After all that's happened this year, I don't think fans or media can really blame him if he finally goes through with it.

At least it appears Mitch is in the sell-now mindset. After all that's happened this year, I don't think fans or media can really blame him if he finally goes through with it.

Yup.

Our timing is perfect. Pau started to play better, we kept losing, and we're far enough out to erase any pathetic attempts at making a pointless playoff run.

Now, sell. Sell everything. Pau, Nick, Hill, Blake, Kaman, sell any of them.

I doubt anyone would call for X, Wes, Marshall, or Farmar, but if they did, take the call.

Trade for any of these players, I'll give you Steve Nash for free. No, really, you can have him. :lol:

Nash could be returning tomorrow. Just in time to get that trade stock up? No?

Also, moral victories:

According to the Los Angeles Times, the Lakers' ratings on Time Warner Cable SportsNet have fallen 37½% for the fisrt half of the season compared to 2012-13. That means the games are averaging a 2.72 rating compared to a 4.35 which was the team's first season on TWCSN.

But even with the ratings slippage, the Lakers can take some solace that their games still beat the Clippers on Fox Sports Net Prime Ticket. The Clippers are averaging a 1.28 and that's down from last season as well.
:smokin

After December this team has been unwatchable from an entertainment standpoint. And yet they are still beating the Clips ratings. :smokin

so damn, maybe pau really insn't hurt hurt, the team told him to chill so we can get this deal done. give us goran and the twins. and lets keep nick. they can be buddies.

Back
Top Bottom