[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
@LiCeNseD To BaLL  don't lose it man 
laugh.gif

Yeah I remember when we lost 9 of the last 12 or something like that and after that I kind of never paid attention

what is this lakers allure that we once had?

our last two championships our 4 best players were kobe (draft pick), pau (trade), lamar (trade) and bynum (draft pick)

in that 3 year span one of our best young players ariza left to a team that was willing to pay him more money

did we have this lakers allure everyone is talking about in 08-10?

last summer dwight howard, being a rational person, took a look around went through the mental checklist of: do i like the coach? no. do i like playing with kobe? no. do i like the pressure of being a laker?  no. will the front office make this my team rather than kobe's team? no

so he walked away to join a team that was in a good place roster wise and would let him be the face of the team from the moment he signed off on the contract

there is no magical force that used to attract free agents that has stopped working. players have always joined teams that best suited their interests (winning, money, location) and the lakers can offer all 3 of these things, we're still in LA, we have tons of cap space, we would rather splurge to win rather than save money.
Self-answering post self-answered.

The allure has always been that our location is awesome, we have money and a willingness to spend it, and we win.

Our location is obviously not going to change, but money? Willingness to do whatever it takes in terms of money? Winning? No, no, and no.

allure: gone

And the location thing can be had w/ the 'little brother' team that is winning at a much higher clip (pun intended) than we are.

what is this lakers allure that we once had?

our last two championships our 4 best players were kobe (draft pick), pau (trade), lamar (trade) and bynum (draft pick)

in that 3 year span one of our best young players ariza left to a team that was willing to pay him more money

did we have this lakers allure everyone is talking about in 08-10?

last summer dwight howard, being a rational person, took a look around went through the mental checklist of: do i like the coach? no. do i like playing with kobe? no. do i like the pressure of being a laker?  no. will the front office make this my team rather than kobe's team? no

so he walked away to join a team that was in a good place roster wise and would let him be the face of the team from the moment he signed off on the contract

there is no magical force that used to attract free agents that has stopped working. players have always joined teams that best suited their interests (winning, money, location) and the lakers can offer all 3 of these things, we're still in LA, we have tons of cap space, we would rather splurge to win rather than save money.
Self-answering post self-answered.

The allure has always been that our location is awesome, we have money and a willingness to spend it, and we win.

Our location is obviously not going to change, but money? Willingness to do whatever it takes in terms of money? Winning? No, no, and no.

allure: gone

And the location thing can be had w/ the 'little brother' team that is winning at a much higher clip (pun intended) than we are.
how are we not willing to spend the money in order to win? did dwight leave because he didnt want to take a paycut? oh wait we gave him the max. we have more capspace than any other team and we are currently working to move under the cap so we can spend even more money.

we will NEVER lose out because we are too cheap to buy good players

how are we not willing to spend the money in order to win? did dwight leave because he didnt want to take a paycut? oh wait we gave him the max. we have more capspace than any other team and we are currently working to move under the cap so we can spend even more money.
I don't eem know.

I just know that we're not winning, and the difference between now and the post-Magic era and the post-Shaq era and the post... Artest?... era was that I still had a confidence for the future throughout those first 2, and have no confidence as we're now in that last one.

When Magic left, "Welp, that was fun. We'll get back at it, though." Few years of a fun squad, then Shaq (already a star) and then Kobe comes into star status. BOOM.

Then that was over, and we went through the whole Smush & Kwame thing, but I still felt like "Enh. We'll get back to it." And we did get back to it.

Then that era was over, no Lamar, no Artest, no (more of that) Pau... and I just feel no confidence at all.

I felt confidence despite Vlade and Cedric and Nick.

Felt confidence through Stanislav and Space Cadet.

But the Nash/Jamison/Barnes/Kaman/Young/Blake era? No confidence, man. 
ohwell.gif

I don't eem know.

I just know that we're not winning, and the difference between now and the post-Magic era and the post-Shaq era and the post... Artest?... era was that I still had a confidence for the future throughout those first 2, and have no confidence as we're now in that last one.

When Magic left, "Welp, that was fun. We'll get back at it, though." Few years of a fun squad, then Shaq (already a star) and then Kobe comes into star status. BOOM.

Then that was over, and we went through the whole Smush & Kwame thing, but I still felt like "Enh. We'll get back to it." And we did get back to it.

Then that era was over, no Lamar, no Artest, no (more of that) Pau... and I just feel no confidence at all.

I felt confidence despite Vlade and Cedric and Nick.

Felt confidence through Stanislav and Space Cadet.

But the Nash/Jamison/Barnes/Kaman/Young/Blake era? No confidence, man. 
ohwell.gif
I think the common denominator was Dr. Buss

No one feels confident in Jim Buss.

We're about to land a top shelf lotto pick and have cap space galore all within a year or so, and people have no hope now?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

People do realize that Magic to Shaq was a full 5 seasons, yes? And sorry, but Nick + Eddie was only a one and done type future going forward, but those guys provided hope? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come on guys, do better. :lol:

its just one bad year (last year) and one year were we are doing what we should be doing, sucking (this year)

we have a team of no name rejects and guy like kevin love is still planning on coming here

exum is talking about how great it would be to be drafted by us before we even find out where we will be drafting

on the other hand the clippers have two stars, they dont have a big deal to catapult them into actual title contenders in the works and they have never won a championship ever

regardless of what you think of jim buss, there is no way you can tell me that donald sterling will do more to win a championship than jim buss is

yes, the clippers are better than us right now but where are they going? theres no where to go but up for us after this year while they are not going anywhere

i mean.. they are trying to win a championship this year and their big moves are signing hedo and sasha 
laugh.gif

that veto really ****** over Jimmy boy's reputation
laugh.gif
he hasn't been that bad
its not just me.

There has been plenty of "analysts" saying players and people around the league don't feel he can handle the job.

Steven A smith, magic, bill simmons to name a few that i can clearly remember, I'm sure theres plenty more.

14 months ago we had Kobe, Pau, Dwight, Nash, Ron, Jamison, and were predicting 70 wins.

Now we have no hope. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Feel free to pace yourselves guys. The spectrum is wide, no need to swing from one side to the other so swiftly.

We're about to land a top shelf lotto pick and have cap space galore all within a year or so, and people have no hope now?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

People do realize that Magic to Shaq was a full 5 seasons, yes? And sorry, but Nick + Eddie was only a one and done type future going forward, but those guys provided hope?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Come on guys, do better.
laugh.gif
Who said that, though?

I said I had confidence. Didn't say in what. Just said I had it.

And now I don't.

All this "Oh, confidence in Eddie and Nick, huh?" That's all your interpretation.

Confidence and hope are the same thing. Yes, I know you will spin that 200 times in another direction, I know.

Same thing.

Have no confidence, that's fine. The season is going EXACTLY, as some of us hoped. (scratch that, 48 million is not exact, but the rest is)

Jim and Mitch know what they are doing, they've just had some tough luck lately. Again, for the 4 millionth time, the CBA was built directly to stop markets like LA and New York from outspending everyone else. That isn't on Jim or Mitch. They have to find new ways to work, and they will. Starting with this upcoming Draft Pick.

Cleveland gets the #1 pick and somehow screws it up.
LA gets the #1 pick, they likely won't screw it up. Just have to let it play out man. (they won't get theeeee #1, but close enough, you get my drift hopefully)

kal-el-8 kal-el-8 that's what I mean tho, his overall reputation wouldn't/shouldn't be so bad if not for that veto. mike brown over adelman was seen as a bad move (it was) but adelman isn't looking too great right now. d'antoni over phil wouldn't be so bad if Phil just declined, which it seemed like he was going to anyway. everything else has been basically desperation moves as a result of that veto

Ska you might not feel confidence now and that's understandable. None of the things the Lakers have now are ingredients for the future. But that's not because some Laker allure has been shattered; it's because those things were given up through years of winning (low picks) and trading away assets for win-now pieces. I get it seems bleak. But we have some stuff coming, I think once the draft hits and the Lakers start using cap space you'll feel a bit of confidence restored.

my goodness, dude hates Jimmies Buss with a passion

What could he have done differently?

****except for Kobes ridiculous contract of course

Last edited:
Confidence and hope are the same thing. Yes, I know you will spin that 200 times in another direction, I know.

Same thing.
I didn't mean to point out that I said confidence and you said hope.

I meant to point out that I said I had it post-Magic, and you said "Oh, so dudes were confident in Nick & Eddie?"

I never said that. Just said that even through those guys being our face, I still felt like we'd be alright. Not because of those guys; just... because. Like, I just knew.

Now? Nothing about our current state compels me to believe we'll be what we've always been.

what track record does jeanie have for you to be so confident in her?

would the deal for cp3 get axed if jeanie was in control?

what happens to dwight? did she not try and begged for him to stay with all those ridiculous posters all around LA?

who would coach? phil? its all hypothetical, but as great as phil is, even he cant help this roster.

my goodness, dude hates Jimmies Buss with a passion

What could he have done differently?

****except for Kobes ridiculous contract of course
Lebron, Bosh, Harden, Birdman, David Lee, David West, Scola, Monta, Battier, Miller, Korver, Jesus, Iggy...

... and I just realized people are going to respond about THOSE SPECIFIC PLAYERS, and any other specific players I name, so I'm not naming anymore, because THOSE SPECIFIC PLAYERS isn't my answer to the question "What could he do differently?"

My answer is: SIGN. VALUABLE. ASSETS.

Dude brought us Steve 'James Naismith Himself' Nash and a dude nicknamed Caveman, while other teams are signing dudes setting 3-pt records (Jesus, Korver) and hustling their TAILS off (Battier, Birdman, Lee) etc. VALUABLE ASSETS.

Who's going to be the first to make me regret using specific names? Bring the negative stats that belong to some of the major names that have moved hands the last few years. Then I'll just respond w/ "CHRIS... EFFING... KAMAN, DOG!!!"

Back
Top Bottom