[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
I've never felt this pessimistic about the future of our team.

Like what direction are we going? Fire Mike Brown, tell Phil the job is his, hire MDA the next day. Beg Dwight like a sucka who hadn't proved a damn thing, he leaves. We supposed to have all this cap room to spend on marquee free agents, give Kobe 50 mil at age 36 off an Achilles injury. Now trying to play hardball for Pau who've they've been trying to trade since 2011.

Excuse me but the regime hasn't instilled faith that they'll all of a sudden do the smart thing. I fully expect them to offer Melo the full max this summer and screw us for the next 5 years.
I think its headed down that path as well.

frown.gif
bruh, that scene...the feels...hit home.

i dare someone to watch the scene and not feel anything
Challenge: accomplished

*shrugs*

I've seen every FPoBA episode, and seen that one like 2 or 3 times. I remember thinking the second time "I'm pretty sure this is supposed to make me feel some type of way."

Would get into why, but I don't feel like crushing anyone's happy reality today.

Jordan Farmar, Jodie Meeks, Wes Johnson, Xavier Henry, Nick Young, Jordan Hill, Chris Kaman all took less to play in LA. That is fact. Not conjecture, not opinion. It is fact.

I do feel the Laker "allure" comes into play at this level... take this small contract to play for X, or this small contract to play for the Lakers in LA? If I'm only making a mil, might as well do it in purple and gold. Even if the team sucks.

But for bigger free agents it's not so much a factor. For example Kevin Love isn't gonna come here if the team has no future or roster just because they're the Lakers.

I feel it's mostly a factor after guys become Lakers. It's been a factor for Kobe, Shaq, etc. Right now it doesn't feel like it's there as much, because the guys on the team aren't guys who Mitch or the fans are looking at as being long-term Lakers anyway. Kobe's the only one, and the whole Laker allure thing was a part of him signing that extension to "retire a Laker" (but unfortunately didn't convince him to take less :lol:)

Last edited:
Jordan Farmar, Jodie Meeks, Wes Johnson, Xavier Henry, Nick Young, Jordan Hill, Chris Kaman all took less to play in LA. That is fact. Not conjecture, not opinion. It is fact.

I do feel the Laker "allure" comes into play at this level... take this small contract to play for X, or this small contract to play for the Lakers in LA? If I'm only making a mil, might as well do it in purple and gold.

But for bigger free agents it's not so much a factor.

I feel it's mostly a factor after guys become Lakers. It's been a factor for Kobe, Shaq, etc. Right now it doesn't feel like it's there as much, because the guys on the team aren't guys who Mitch or the fans are looking at as being long-term Lakers anyway.

I think it does at the big name as well.

Kevin Love max in Minnesota, max in LA?
Kyrie Irving max in Cleveland, max in LA?

Where it gets fluffy is:

Lebron max in Miami (title contender), max in LA?
Melo max in NY, max in LA?

9 times out of 10 the guy not playing in a big market will take LA.
The guy in a big market already or perennial title contender? Ehhh not so much, but in that case no team really has the attraction.

Last edited:
You all don't handle ESPN articles well, do ya? :lol:

God damn.

I get exactly what the article is doing.

But the mere notion of Sterling trying to get Lebron, means all hands on deck, we have to crash this ship to make a better one.

I.e. Tank, get the top 5 pick, and keep Lebron out of the Clippers, regardless of it costing Clips BG, and would be confusing what role Lebron plays as a Clip

Gah I'm losing track. Everyone's definition of the Laker allure is a little different :lol: But I agree with what you are saying Essential.

Now if Kevin Love or somebody shuns the Lakers for a different team, does that mean the allure is gone? Not necessarily, it depends on the situation. Love isn't gonna pick the Lakers because they're the Lakers, if there's a better situation out there. To me that wouldn't mean the allure is gone, that would mean the Lakers didn't put themselves in a position where a good player would wanna play for them.

Last edited:
It's not just about allure anymore anyways, which is what some of us have been trying to tell you guys for months now.

The CBA doesn't work well with "allure"

Look at Essential's examples. Kyrie Irving, max in Cleveland, or Max in LA?

Pretty simple, right?

Oh wait, CBA, Irving pretty much has to stay in Cleveland an extra 3-4 years to earn his money, THEN he can leave and max out in LA.......at the age of 28-29. Which gives us????? 3-4 years of prime.

NOW, NOOOOWWWWWW hopefully some of you will see the importance of landing our own 19 year lotto ticket, and let that guy be the draw that brings in other FA's. Much like Blake Griffin is what brings in Chris Paul, and maybe Paul can lure in Bron. (at the cost of Blake, which seems awfully far fetched to me......)

Allure is a word you can use where there is no Salary Cap, no Taxes, and no CBA, otherwise, it's called shrewd business positioning.

i trust mitch gawd. he knows what he is doing. that herb pau might be milking this injury to avoid being traded. i wonder if phoenix gives no dambs about the injury. they might be like 'our med team will tape him up and he will be on the court in 2 days'.

i dont see lebron leaving miami. pat will not let him walk. if he does, pat will cut lebrons achilles which will make him useless.

i still stand by my prediction that marshmellow will end up in LA.

As evidence that the Lakers allure is still there...

... we supposed to discuss Jordan Farmar and Chris Kaman?

That would be evidence that the Lakers allure is GONE, bro.

"They got... Chris Bosh and Lebron James. Those guys over there? Chris Paul. Oh, them dudes? They grabbed David West and Luis Scola. Now who're ya pointing at? Oh them? Ummm, Andre Iguodala, and David Lee a few years back. Us, you say? Who'd we pick up? Let's see... Jordan Farmar and Chris Kaman. 
smokin.gif
 "

Phoenix guy who first reported the Steve Nash deal says no offers were made between the Suns-Lakers, it's "obvious" that the Lakers are just trying to drum up interest in Pau. Not sure if that tidbit is worth anything to you guys.

That's usually not Mitch's forte.

Usually his deals are out of the blue. But rumors have been leaking the last couple of years it seems. Whether that's due to talkative sources or effective investigating by reporters, who knows.

Jim buss almost got us cp3 stop slandering ol boy

He also got us dwight

Next he will get us klove and lebreezzzyyy
"almost"

*runs to check the Lakers roster real quick*

Nope, no CP3.

Bottom line: it didn't happen.

The magic is gone.

"Well that was because Dan Gilbert and Mark Cuban and" blah, blah, blah.

It.

DIDN'T.

Happen.

We didn't get what we wanted. PERIOD.

And Dwight self-delivered; that was Jim 'getting' Dwight the same way a parent 'forces' a kid to eat ice cream for dinner.
View media item 679126

ur gifs suck b

I dont know if it's D'antoni, or the front office, or whatever...

But I don't understand why they don't ever sign players that can play defense?

I mean, they're whole roster is full of guys not known for their defense.  Backcourt, frontcourt, nowhere! 

It doesn't make any sense to me.  Even when they signed Manny Harris, ANOTHER scoring 2 guard, seriously? 

It's like they want to fill the roster with the same players:  Slow footed PG's, shoot first wing players, and big men that can't control the paint.

It's the same story over and over again.  I just wish they would switch it up. 

That's usually not Mitch's forte.

Usually his deals are out of the blue. But rumors have been leaking the last couple of years it seems. Whether that's due to talkative sources or effective investigating by reporters, who knows.

shocked the hell outta me when they outright said they were going after cp3 and dwight

I dont know if it's D'antoni, or the front office, or whatever...

But I don't understand why they don't ever sign players that can play defense?

I mean, they're whole roster is full of guys not known for their defense.  Backcourt, frontcourt, nowhere! 

It doesn't make any sense to me.  Even when they signed Manny Harris, ANOTHER scoring 2 guard, seriously? 

It's like they want to fill the roster with the same players:  Slow footed PG's, shoot first wing players, and big men that can't control the paint.

It's the same story over and over again.  I just wish they would switch it up. 

Defense costs money.

If you play great defense, you are not a Free Agent when the season starts.

And if you are a Free Agent in the offseason, you will make a few extra million more than your ability.

Last edited:
what is this lakers allure that we once had?

our last two championships our 4 best players were kobe (draft pick), pau (trade), lamar (trade) and bynum (draft pick)

in that 3 year span one of our best young players ariza left to a team that was willing to pay him more money

did we have this lakers allure everyone is talking about in 08-10?

last summer dwight howard, being a rational person, took a look around went through the mental checklist of: do i like the coach? no. do i like playing with kobe? no. do i like the pressure of being a laker?  no. will the front office make this my team rather than kobe's team? no

so he walked away to join a team that was in a good place roster wise and would let him be the face of the team from the moment he signed off on the contract

there is no magical force that used to attract free agents that has stopped working. players have always joined teams that best suited their interests (winning, money, location) and the lakers can offer all 3 of these things, we're still in LA, we have tons of cap space, we would rather splurge to win rather than save money.

Defense costs money.

If you play great defense, you are not a Free Agent when the season starts.

And if you are a Free Agent in the offseason, you will make a few extra million more than your ability.
 Just feel like you can find players out there that at least WANT to play defense.  They just seem to sign the same kind of players and that method isn't working

Back
Top Bottom