[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
Ska put you're reading glasses on.

You completely misquoted it
laugh.gif
*your

I may be thinking about this wrong, but I don't think the Lakers are going to be too far above the salary cap.

They're going to dip below with everything expiring, the only way they can get back over is to use the Bird Rights to re-sign a player (nobody's worth that much $) or sign-and-trade one of them (again, no one's gonna be fetching that much, dollar or trade value wise).

I don't think they're at risk of hitting the luxury tax and adding another tick to the repeater clock.

Last edited:
I may be thinking about this wrong, but I don't think the Lakers are going to be too far above the salary cap.

They're going to dip below with everything expiring, the only way they can get back over is to use the Bird Rights to re-sign a player (nobody's worth that much $) or sign-and-trade one of them (again, no one's gonna be fetching that much).

I don't think they're at risk of hitting the luxury tax and adding another tick to the repeater clock.

If they get Love + Kobe, they already in range. And what good is it to get Love and Kobe, and not "try" to win as they say?

Just look at his scenario of keeping Pau, signing an amnestied Boozer (even cheaply) and then Love-Kobe, + Nash...........

That's damn near on the border line right there. And I fear they try for something like that.

And if they stretch Nash, that's 3 mil for the next 3 damn years, more wasted cap space when we're trying to become good again.

Last edited:

They're going to dip below with everything expiring, the only way they can get back over is to use the Bird Rights to re-sign a player (nobody's worth that much $) or sign-and-trade one of them (again, no one's gonna be fetching that much, dollar or trade value wise).

They won't be over the luxury tax it is financially impossible next year.

Luxury is $76mil.

If they get Love + Kobe, they already in range

of the salary cap threshold, which is pretty far below the luxury tax threshold which the Lakers wanna avoid. Those 2 + Nash + Sacre and Young puts them at about $53 mil.

There are probably a few scenarios where Mitch could bump the bill back up to $76 mil but I don't think we gotta worry about them happening.

Last edited:

They're going to dip below with everything expiring, the only way they can get back over is to use the Bird Rights to re-sign a player (nobody's worth that much $) or sign-and-trade one of them (again, no one's gonna be fetching that much).

If they get Love + Kobe, they already in range. And what good is it to get Love and Kobe, and not "try" to win as they say?

Just look at his scenario of keeping Pau, signing an amnestied Boozer (even cheaply) and then Love-Kobe, + Nash...........

That's damn near on the border line right there. And I fear they try for something like that.

And if they stretch Nash, that's 3 mil for the next 3 damn years, more wasted cap space when we're trying to become good again.

They'll be over cap, no incentive not too, especially when you have to spend 85% of cap anyway, but they definitely won't be a tax team.

Here's why.

Will be back next year:
Kobe Bryant
Steve Nash
Robert Sacre
Ryan Kelly
Kent Bazemore
Kendall Marshall

Probably will be back next year:
Jordan Farmar
Wes Johnson

May be back:
Pau Gasol
Nick Young
Xavier Henry

Would like back, Probably Won't be back:
Jodie Meeks
Jordan Hill

Won't be back:
Chris Kaman
MarShon Brooks

Going by your scenario (Only way we go after Boozer is if we don't trade the pick and have the whole roster filled without using the MLE):
Kobe + Nash + Marshall + BazeGod + Kelly + Sacre = $37.1 mil

If they trade the pick for Kevin Love (I don't think it will happen, don't think the Wolves settle for 1 pick even if it was a #1) = $52.9mil

Pau - $10mil = $62.9mil

8 roster spots and we are over the cap.

Now we only have the $5mil MLE & veteran's minimums.

The MLE would likely get split between Farmar & Johnson - only have $900K cap holds, and they won't sign again for that.

$67mil - 10 roster spots.

If Swaggy opted in that's $68.227mil - 11 roster spots

Then we probably take a Vet at the 3, and a vet at the 4. Puts us at most $71mil

Last edited:
Going by your scenario

Not my scenario, Pincus.

I hope you're right man, cuz if they go over that tax again, I'm going to be furious.

Sorry, I know it's Pincus', the scenario presented :lol:

It'd be really tough..

I just don't see it, and you know I run the numbers 150x.

We'll have so many roster spots already filled by the time we get to the salary cap that it just wouldn't be possible with only the full MLE & Vet's minimums.

Maybe the only way is if we sign a max player (you know the 1 I'm talking about :lol:) stretch Nash, sign Pau and then trade Pau and the pick for Love. Then we'd probably go over once you use the MLE and the veteran's minimums, but at that point with that team, no one would care.. This scenario will never happen.

Last edited:
WAIT

Bill ******* Simmons is calling the Lakers/Spurs game tonight?

Are you ******* kidding me ESPN? :stoneface:

Back
Top Bottom