LAKERS OFFICIAL END OF SEASON THREAD: IT WAS FUN! THANKS FOR THE RUN LAKERS! LAKER FANS STAND UP!

We looked REAL nice against Denver last night, but these next two games are rough. At Utah and home for Orlando. I'm real interested to see how Bynumlooks against D Howard. We're all hoping that Bynum can become even half of what Howard has become. Would certainly be nice.
eek.gif

I wonder if we're starting to see the benefits of all the injuries the last couple seasons. At the start of the season we had Bynum, Walton, Vlad andFarmar all on the bench, and all of them spent some time starting the last couple seasons. Of all the different lineups that Phil uses these days, it seemslike we always have 3 quasi starters on the floor even if they aren't really a good fit amongst each other. I'm hoping that experience builds and thenall Phil needs to do is ride who's hot. Early on Vlad was money and right now he is dead worthless, whereas Walton struggled early and looked prettycomfortable last night. We just really need to get Odom going hellbent right now. He is our key. I was actually happy with him last night in that eventhough he started 0 - 8, he got himself a couple layups and dunks and then came back and hit that 3 in the third. He kept fighting even though he was playingterrible. We need him in that game 5 mode from last year against the Suns. He does that, we do big things.
pimp.gif

We don't get hurt and we'll be fine. And Ska is partly right, but if Bynum keeps going, he will be feared in the playoffs, and Fish is still the quietcold blodded assassin he was back in the day. I like Kidd, but I don't want to give up too much for him. We'll learn a lot after this week, (Utah,Boston) and then we can start to see where we measure up.

Exactly^^^ get rid of Odom now. Phil even called him a punk. How in the world is Luke gonna guard Melo better than Odom?

Good to see coby doing some good things. As much as we bash mitch he seems to have an eye for young talent. Javris, farmar, bynum and coby are all going to be soild.

And would be further praised if he can pull off that NJ Nets deal, which I keep hearing about all over am 570 radio.

LAKERS REPORT
[h1]Lakers' Jackson says a 50-win season is out of reach[/h1]
Spencer Weiner / Los Angeles Times

Coach Phil Jackson believes a 50-win season for the Lakers is out of the question because the team has been inconsistent in building an 11-8 record this season.

Coach says habits established during the team's so-so start are unlikely to be broken.

By Jaime Cardenas, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
December 9, 2007

The Lakers probably were not going to win 50 games, but Coach Phil Jackson made it semi-official Saturday.

Jackson said after practice that he told his players following a 127-99 win over Denver on Nov. 29 that they were not good enough to win 50 games.

The Lakers will play their 20th game of the season tonight, against Golden State at Staples Center.

As Jackson sees it, that is five games past the fail-safe point for establishing a team's direction for the season.

It is the first 15 games, he said, that set the tone for the season, when teams get into habits that will last for the rest of the season.

That win over the Nuggets came in the Lakers' 15th game and left them with a 9-6 record. They are now 11-8, and have yet to impress anyone, apparently. Certainly not their coach.

"We haven't really started to do some of the other structural things we want to do with the team," said Jackson, who agreed to a two-year contract extension on the day of the Denver game. "We need to open a run again and find a way to win two or three games in a row and get some momentum."

Injuries have been a factor in the team's start. Kwame Brown has missed 12 games, Lamar Odom and Ronny Turiaf four each, Chris Mihm two, Vladimir Radmanovic one and Andrew Bynum one.

Kobe Bryant, Brown and Luke Walton (ankle) all practiced Saturday, but only Bryant -- who injured his left shoulder in the Lakers' last game, a 111-107 win at Denver on Wednesday -- is guaranteed to play.

Walton will be a game-time decision after he injured his ankle in practice Friday. The injury involves ligaments, not muscle, but the team is calling it a sprain.

Brown, also a game-time decision, said he is hopeful he can play. He has missed the last 10 games because of a sprained knee.

Jackson, though, said he is not worried about the team's revolving starting lineup.

Injuries have something to do with it and "some of it is about who we are playing," Jackson said. "A team like Golden State makes you change your lineup a little bit."

Jackson said Bynum, who's averaging 10.4 points and 9.6 rebounds a game, had regressed in his fitness.

"He's gone backward since the season started," Jackson said. "He hasn't had consistent playing time and misses a game . . . it's a little bit troubling."

News of Bynum's regression, though, was news to Bynum.

"I haven't taken a step back," Bynum said. "I don't feel that way."

Bynum, the team's leading rebounder in his third NBA season since being drafted out of high school, said he put in a lot of work during the summer to get in shape.

"I've been progressing," he said. "I think I've been doing all right all season, except for the last game -- I was recovering from food poisoning."

The 20-year-old has played in 18 of the team's 19 games, starting eight times. He is fourth on the team in minutes.

Last year the Lakers swept the regular-season series against Golden State. They blew the Warriors out twice in Oakland and won two close ones at Staples.

"We played some consistent games against them," Jackson said. "It's unusual because the Warriors, normally, have always been a problem for the Lakers."

Most of those games, Jackson quickly pointed out, came before the Warriors' midseason trade with Indiana to acquire Stephen Jackson.

With Jackson, the Warriors have been a different team. After upsetting Dallas in the first round of the playoffs last season, Golden State started this season 0-6 but is 11-2 since.

The hot streak has coincided with the return of Jackson, who sat out the first seven games while serving a suspension related to his off-court conduct.

"He gives them an awful good one-on-one player," Phil Jackson said. "He's also an inside-outside guy, he can shoot three-pointers or he can be a post-up threat."

TONIGHT

vs. Golden State, 6:30, FSN West

Site -- Staples Center.

Radio -- 570, 1330.

Update -- The teams are tied for second in the Pacific Division. Stephen Jackson is averaging 22.2 points, four assists and nearly two steals in 12 games since returning Nov. 26.

Phil playing the mind games early this year. Kwame might be back tonight. Hopefully walton can play. If the bench mob does thier thing we will be just fine tonight.

You know the deal.

Keep anything non Kobe-trade related out since there's already a thread for that.

Post notable articles and such and such here.

Quoted from our own Lakers fan mod himself.

Quote:
Season threads for NON-GAME discussion, and game day threads for the individual games.

TEAM XBOX360

.:Flowsomuch:.

TeamLakers
LAKER FANS, FEELIN' YOU!

TEAMSANIEGOCHARGERS

We better lock Ronny and Trevor up long term. In fact, we should do it now, it would make me feel better already about next season.
pimp.gif

...and about Kwame... i dunno about him, i think its best we just, wait...
eyes.gif

yeah so i just want kurt thomas
laugh.gif

i wouldn't be opposed to ron artest, but the lakers have enough forwards.

I know this has been covered in the thread, but (tupac), did you get yours from that website posted a few pages back, or did you get yours from Staples?

All I know is I don't see why it can't happen. Look at it this way the mavs look beatable. The suns HA! They are done. The spurs are the only team thatwill give us a hard time and they can't seem to stay healthy.

Championship this year? Anything is possible. Title in 2 years? Mark my words. Put us down.

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

With all this discussion of the offseason (even though there are about 50 games left plus playoffs
laugh.gif
), I really don't think any major moves should be made. This team has extremely good chemistry and I don't think it should be shaken up. People are saying we should get rid of Lamar, but he's putting up double-doubles seemingly every night now even with Bynum doing the same.
Every role on this team is filled. Perimeter scorers, shooters, interior scorers, interior defenders, perimeter defenders, shot-blockers, veteran leadership, playmakers, high-energy guys off the bench. And it's not just two or three guys doing most of it. We go 10, even 11 deep.

It's looking beautiful and it's only going to get better.
pimp.gif

I agree. Lamar fills up the stat sheet. He does that quitely. Yes he shoots a lot more now, but wasn't the problem him not shooting enough not too longago? I'll take it as it is. Balance scoring is always good and shows how this team are glued together.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

"do it mitch"

give charlotte our first round pick this year as well.

Here is what you posted..

This Trade Succeeded! Go back to adjust your trade or start over.

lal.gif
[h2]Los Angeles Lakers[/h2]

[table][tr][th=""]Incoming Players[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
3012.jpg
[/td] [td]
Kurt Thomas
Salary: $8,091,188 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 6.5 REB: 9.8 AST: 1.4 PER: 15.04
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
4179.jpg
[/td] [td]
Ryan Hollins
Salary: $687,456 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 2.5 REB: 2.6 AST: 0.4 PER: 11.61
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Outgoing Players: Kwame Brown

cha.gif
[h2]Charlotte Bobcats[/h2]

4138.jpg
[/td] [td]
Mouhamed Sene
Salary: $2,105,520 Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 1.7 REB: 1.2 AST: 0.0 PER: 14.52
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Outgoing Players: Ryan Hollins

sea.gif
[h2]Seattle SuperSonics[/h2]

3511.jpg
[/td] [td]
Kwame Brown
Salary: $9,075,000 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 4.9 REB: 4.6 AST: 1.3 PER: 11.01
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Outgoing Players: Mouhamed Sene, Kurt Thomas

O.K., seriously, though... I have this superstition about stories breaking prematurely and then not coming true.

The ones that end up coming to pass are the ones that take people by surprise, like KG to Boston, and Snaq to Miami. Those didn't break weeks beforehand.And last year, the 'Kidd to L.A. for Bynum' story broke a couple nights beforehand... and fell through.

All I have to say is SMH @ some of the foolish Laker fans on here who last summer were hating on DFish coming back to the Laker posting stuff on here like "he isnt worth the 3 years $14 million the Lakers gave him"
smh.gif
you fools know who you are on here.

Good read, but IMO its not just fish....other players improved dramatically. Young players gaining confidence and are playing competitive amongst eachother. Unlike the garbage we had cook and smush. Don't get me wrong Fish is huge this year, making layups and jumpshots. Yea, there were people whodoubt his contributions, b/c when he was a laker he did struggle making layups and playing smart gaurds, and his jumpshot wasn't as deadly. I admit it, Ihad doubts. But this is really an improved Fisher. Less diving and hustle, but more key plays and jumpshots. Most importantly a great leader....and makinglayups...
smile.gif

Yeah, the media is playing up the whole Kobe is Bynum's big brother a la Shaq and Kobe. Next thing you know Kobe is giving Bynum a piggyback ride

Yeah, tell me about it.
laugh.gif

It doesn't matter, as long as they get a couple rings together
pimp.gif

And bring home the good 'ol Larry O'brien trophy....

87181ty.jpg

I just heard... NOT GOOD.. Not good. There goes the freaking season just like 03 when Malone went down. Bynum = Lakers interior defense.

Originally Posted by DJ CASH FLOW

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

Originally Posted by DJ CASH FLOW

I would trade Kwame and picks for Marcus Camby since Kwame is going to be a FA
Denver would never give up Camby for that
why not? Denver wants to shed payroll if possible...

In the summer we had a deal that was being tossed around with denver but it just didn't happen. Denver has been playing ok so I don't think theywant to make that deal. Problem with denver is they are going to have to pay iversons crazy contract here soon and they are 28 million over the cap. Cambycontract is good for 3 years at 11 mill per. I say if we could make this deal happen we would be a great team. But who knows if camby could come off the bench.

Denver really should make this move.
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=981~1016~125~2444&teams=7~7~13~13&te=&cash=

kwame and lamar for magloire and kidd, get rid of kwames big@%%! contract for magloire's 4 mil a year who does pretty much the same thing and who has somepotential. i remember he beasted in games a few years back.

Back
Top Bottom