LeBron gets star treatment

[h2]Sam Smith:
LeBron gets star treatment[/h2]
MJ averaged fewer than two fouls per game only in his last two seasons, and never as few as James' current 1.72. Among some of the great perimeter players in history, at a time when substantially more perimeter contact was allowed, Larry Bird averaged about 2.5 fouls, Magic Johnson 2.26 and Jerry West and Oscar Robertson well above two per game.

enews_icon.gif
Smith Archive
enews_icon.gif
Bulls Blog
enews_icon.gif
mybulls
print_icon.gif
Print
icon-rss-red-sm.png
RSS

The contents of this page have not been reviewed or endorsed by the Chicago Bulls. All opinions expressed by Sam Smith are solely his own and do not reflect the opinions of the Chicago Bulls or its Basketball Operations staff, parent company, partners, or sponsors. His sources are not known to the Bulls and he has no special access to information beyond the access and privileges that go along with being an NBA accredited member of the media.

Posted by Sam Smith | [email protected] | 04.06.09 | 9:35 a.m. CT
[table][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][/table]
The Bulls, inching closer to qualifying for the NBA playoffs, could be opening against the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Cavs have the best record in the Eastern Conference and have just about clinched the No. 1 seed, and they have the likely league MVP, LeBron James.

James, certainly, is having a terrific season in carrying a Cavs team to the best record in franchise history without another true star.

There's been talk of James being the only player in the game today who one day could average a triple double, the long thought unreachable mark achieved only by Oscar Robertson. James is averaging 28.3 points, 7.8 rebounds and 7.3 assists this season.

But perhaps even more remarkable is in a season James is being pushed by many to be on the all-league defensive team, that James is being called for fewer fouls than perhaps any top perimeter player in the history of the game.

We always joke about stars getting all the calls, and we heard plenty of this in Chicago in Michael Jordan's era. Now, I'm not saying there's some sort of conspiracy. But James may well be the most protected star we've ever seen.

Do the referees consciously protect James knowing he is perhaps the league's top marketing figure and he is featured more than any player on the nightly sports highlights? I always doubt that knowing the integrity of the refereeing corps as a group and believe NBA officiating is the best in sports.

Still, we've never seen anything like this. Especially at a time when it is generally agreed with rules changes it is the most difficult time to defend on the perimeter without committing fouls.

James is averaging 1.72 fouls per game in an average of 37.9 minutes per game. James hasn't even been in foul trouble one game this season. He never has had more than four fouls called on him in a game, and since March 1 is being called for fewer than 1.3 fouls per game.

In 12 of the 20 games since then, James has been called for one or zero fouls in a game. James had a stretch of five straight games to conclude March averaging 36.8 minutes per game without being called for one foul. Not one in five games! In the last nine games, James has been called for three personal fouls. It's really amazing given the involvement James has in the action of the game.

"It's impossible," said one team executive.

The executive said there is one slight explanation. That the game has changed to so much drive and kick that the perimeter defenders end up guarding the three so much, and don't foul as often. That there is less one on one penetration. Still, he said not for five consecutive games like that.

James is now averaging 2.02 fouls per game in his career and has fouled out just three times in six seasons. Jordan averaged 2.6 fouls per game in his career and had fouled out eight times in his first six seasons.

Jordan averaged fewer than two fouls per game only in his last two seasons when he was not as active as a defender, and never as few as James' current 1.72. Among some of the great perimeter players in history, at a time when substantially more perimeter contact was allowed, Larry Bird averaged about 2.5 fouls, Magic Johnson 2.26 and Jerry West and Oscar Robertson well above two per game.

In the game now, Kobe Bryant has a career average of about 2.7 fouls per game and is about 2.3 this season. Dwyane Wade has a career average of 2.67 and is about 2.2 this season.

The all-time star with the fewest personal fouls was Wilt Chamberlain, who never fouled out of a game in his 14-year career. It was a point of pride with Wilt, who averaged 1.99 fouls per game in his career, barely below where James is now.

It simply defies explanation how James, who is an aggressive player, can be whistled for so few fouls per game, and especially at a time his team is saying he never has played better defense and when the rules are more stringent regarding perimeter contact. Can he truly be that perfect?

they have to make sure the cavs are in the championship so why are u surprised?

laugh.gif

So someone linked to the Bulls organization is complaining about LeBron not being called for fouls?

jordanor7.jpg

This is the same D-Bag, that said the Cavs got "Fleeced" by the Bulls last trade deadline.

LeBron doesn't get into foul trouble is because he uses his feet instead of his hands like Pavlovic does. LeBron's never really been a guy to getcalled for fouls. In his first five years he averaged only 1.9, 1.8, 2.3, 2.2, and 2.2 fouls per game. This season it is a mixture of better defensivepositioning and less minutes played, mainly the less minutes played part. Here is LeBron's fouls/minutes played number by season:

03/04: 149/3,122 (0.48 PF every 10 minutes).
04/05: 146/3,388 (0.43 PF every 10 minutes).
05/06: 181/3,361 (0.54 PF every 10 minutes).
06/07: 171/3,190 (0.54 PF every 10 minutes).
07/08: 165/3,027 (0.55 PF every 10 minutes).
08/09: 132/2.918 (0.45 PF every 10 minutes).

Basically, LeBron's fouls per minute this season aren't even at the lowest point they have been in his career. In only his second year in the league hegot fewer fouls called per minute (Only 0.1 more fouls per game than this season, too). Even looking at recent history, he's complaining thatLeBron is averaging one-tenth of a foul less per 10 minutes this season than last season (which marked his most fouls called per minute in a season).It just seems like he's really reaching for something to write about.

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

laugh.gif

So someone linked to the Bulls organization is complaining about LeBron not being called for fouls?

jordanor7.jpg

This is the same D-Bag, that said the Cavs got "Fleeced" by the Bulls last trade deadline.

LeBron doesn't get into foul trouble is because he uses his feet instead of his hands like Pavlovic does. LeBron's never really been a guy to get called for fouls. In his first five years he averaged only 1.9, 1.8, 2.3, 2.2, and 2.2 fouls per game. This season it is a mixture of better defensive positioning and less minutes played, mainly the less minutes played part. Here is LeBron's fouls/minutes played number by season:

Basically, LeBron's fouls per minute this season aren't even at the lowest point they have been in his career. In only his second year in the league he got fewer fouls called per minute (Only 0.1 more fouls per game than this season, too). Even looking at recent history, he's complaining that LeBron is averaging one-tenth of a foul less per 10 minutes this season than last season (which marked his most fouls called per minute in a season). It just seems like he's really reaching for something to write about.

And It just seems as though youre very sensitive to this topic. Sore subject?

even though he is, it's not fair... not cause it's lebron.. but for anyone.. it's stupid..then what's the point of having refs, if they arebiased in making their decision when to blow their whistle?

remember when he CLEARLY fouled J.Richardson on that 360 dunk, but everybody (i.e media) were dazzled by the great "block" SMH

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

laugh.gif

jordanor7.jpg

LeBron doesn't get into foul trouble is because he uses his feet instead of his hands like Pavlovic does. LeBron's never really been a guy to get called for fouls. In his first five years he averaged only 1.9, 1.8, 2.3, 2.2, and 2.2 fouls per game. This season it is a mixture of better defensive positioning and less minutes played, mainly the less minutes played part. Here is LeBron's fouls/minutes played number by season:

Basically, LeBron's fouls per minute this season aren't even at the lowest point they have been in his career. In only his second year in the league he got fewer fouls called per minute (Only 0.1 more fouls per game than this season, too). Even looking at recent history, he's complaining that LeBron is averaging one-tenth of a foul less per 10 minutes this season than last season (which marked his most fouls called per minute in a season). It just seems like he's really reaching for something to write about.

And It just seems as though youre very sensitive to this topic. Sore subject?

grin.gif
, dude doesn't realize that this is the same Sam Smith that Jordanhad issues with back in the day because he wrote the same type of articles about Jordan back in the day. Except, he wrote for one of the big Chicago papersback then (I think he still does).

Lebron? Star treatment? Pssssshhhh. I don't see it.
laugh.gif

I hate the guy, but star treatment will always be around, and dude definitely deserves it along with Kobe and a few others in the L. As for getting away withtravels and other BS moves, that's where I really have a big problem.

Originally Posted by tmoney85

remember when he CLEARLY fouled J.Richardson on that 360 dunk, but everybody (i.e media) were dazzled by the great "block" SMH
That annoyed the hell outta me. I think someone actually started an appreciation thread for his run downs
smh.gif

Somebody had the nerve to say he's the best in the game at it too
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by jville819

That annoyed the hell outta me. I think someone actually started an appreciation thread for his run downs
smh.gif

indifferent.gif

Some moron actually used it as an avatar, too.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jville819

smh.gif

indifferent.gif

yup
smh.gif

you are CLEARLY a hater

I remember that joke of a "defensive play"

so getting fouls for pummeling players, not getting called for his weak dribbling skills, and not getting fouls called on the defensive end
smh.gif

on top of that telling his teammates to let him get all the rebounds
smh.gif

manufactured mvp

too bad this wont help him in the playoffs or against elite teams (2-6)
pimp.gif

edit: I forgot to mention all the bogus calls in crunch time that let the cavs pull out those miraculous wins, especially in march (Orlando at home)
smh.gif

All those guys obviously get different treatment than regular NBA players - but Lebron isn't nearly as aggressive on the defensive end as he is on offense- MJ was much more in the thick of it defending guys in the post so I'm not surprised he got a few more fouls.

Back
Top Bottom