Les Who? Rich Rodriguez is the new coach for the Michigan Wolverines

I guess you guys missed that WVU had the 3rd ranked total defense throughout basically the whole season this year.

Anyway, Jay, I know what T. Bowden has done, but a ten year layoff? I don't know, man; [malice]a lot of things changed (now it's like the world got awhole different name).[/malice]

Mack Brown is a great recruiter though. I've always said that he was an exceptional recruiter but an average coach. My friends that are texas fans get soheated when I say that.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

3-3-5 isn't gonna work in the Big 10, I'm hoping he decides on the 4-3
Yup they can probably use it in certain situations but they would get ran over in the BigTen if they tried to play that 1-4th. I am curious to seehow it would work with top notch talent but it is just playing right into the strength of the BigTen.

I guarantee you, No one outside of Oregon thinks Mike Belotti is a good coach amd some or most Oregonians dont think he's good.

For a guy who was offered the jobs at:

USC
Ohio State
Notre Dame

He can't be that bad...but whatever, apparently I don't know much...

everywhere Bowden has been he turned around programs, and made them Nat'l title contenders

And if he's that good...why has he been out of coaching for awhile?

I THINK this is the 1st year that Bowden has throwing his name back out there that he wants to coach.

For a guy who was offered the jobs at:

USC
Ohio State
Notre Dame

He can't be that bad...but whatever, apparently I don't know much...
1. when the hell was he up for them jobs??
2. if they did just because he was offered them jobs dont mean he is a good coach. which he is not.

Bowden is a good coach...RR is a good coach but i dont understand his reasoning for leaving a program he built for a job that he is never going to leave animprint on.

And if he's that good...why has he been out of coaching for awhile?

Imma help u expnd those horizons.

Bowden chose not to coach. HE took time off. just This yr, he has decided to get his name back in the ring as a coaching candidate.

now help me expand mine, when exactly was Bellotti offered the USC, O$U, & ND jobs?

Terry Bowden did one hell of a job taking over Pat Dye at AU. He took over with his (Dye's) recruits and won 20 straight games. Bowdens Final two yearswere a product of the probation and lack of depth from that Eric Ramsey ordeal. He's a good coach.

now help me expand mine, when exactly was Bellotti offered the USC, O$U, & ND jobs?

Bellotti was offered the jobs to those Universities before:

Pete Carroll
Jim Tressel
Tyrone Willingham

And if I'm not mistaken they were all hired before the start of the 2001 season.

I really do not think the 3-3-5 will fit Michigans personel at all. It relies on really good safety play and that is an area that Michigan is lacking talentand depth. Harrison, Chambers and Brown could be ready to be impact players soon but they are "?" and it is even scarier behind them. Plus, we onlyhave 2 CB's who are ready to play. I do not think that scheme is going to fit that D. The strength of our D should be the DLine. All 4 starters come backalong with 4-5 backups who all got solid run this year. The LBs are going to be young but should be good. I would much rather see a 4-3 scheme with 3-3-5 assituational. The problem is, oth English and Casteel like the 3-3-5. It could be successful with the talent Michigan can pull, but next year it would be an eyesore. I do not really care for RE but think his biggest flaw is the inability to stop a spread offense and with the master coming in, it should be able toshore up some weak spots. Plus, he recruits the west coast wonderfully. The WV staff does not. Our Cali and Texas kids are huge parts of our team.

I am not worried at all about RR getting the offense to put up some points. Way too much talent for that team to be so ineffective like it was this past year.I could see 35 PPG as a bare minium in the first year. I do not believe people look at Pat White and think he is the ONLY type of QB that can succeed inRR's offense. Mallett has so much more talent as a QB than White does it isn't funny. RR getting to work with Malletts tools should be exciting.Mallett isn't the most athletic dude but he did run a little in HS and also ran the spread to a very good career. I think Mallett will be very good nextyear. The WRs and RBs are deep and just need some opportunity to play and they will all be good.

Maybe he ran a 3-3-5 defense at wvu to make up for lack of talent. Now that he's at UofM and he'll be able to recruit differently he might change itaround. I don't want to see us use that defense. But then again if real life is anything like video games, which I have learned it is, then a 3-3-5defense might not be so bad cuz I know I hated playing against teams that used it.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Source: Attorneys to contest ex-coach having to pay $4M to WVU[/h1]
By Joe Schad
ESPN.com

Attorneys for former West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez are planning to argue against Rodriguez having to pay the university a $4 million buyout, claiming he was "fraudulently induced to sign a contract with false promises."

[h4]Rich Rodriguez bio[/h4]
ncf_w_rodriguez_65.jpg

Rich Rodriguez has an impressive coaching resume:

• 60-26 in 7 seasons at West Virginia
• 105-62-2 in 15 total seasons as head coach (2-8 at Salem, 43-28-2 at Glenville State)
• Won piece of Big East title in 4 of last 5 seasons
• Played at West Virginia 1982-84

[table] Career at West Virginia [tr][td][/td] [td]2001-04[/td] [td]2005-07[/td] [/tr][tr][td]W-L[/td] [td]28-21[/td] [td]32-5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Conf W-L[/td] [td]17-10[/td] [td]17-4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Bowl Games[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Bowl W-L[/td] [td]0-3[/td] [td]2-0[/td] [/tr][/table]

Ken Kendrick, a primary West Virginia athletics donor and close friend of Rodriguez, said Tuesday he had knowledge of lawyers' intentions to contest the buyout.

"I will be a witness to any and all proceedings that occur," said Kendrick, who is the managing general partner of Major League Baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks. "They baited and switched him. Rich was boxed in by a university and athletic department that was arrogant, mean-spirited and intellectually bankrupt.

"How can someone like me now commit money to this university?"

In a statement Tuesday, the chairman of WVU's Board of Governors said "WVU went to the ends of the earth to keep the coach here."

Kendrick read from a copy of a document of promises he said were agreed to when Rodriguez signed his new West Virginia contract before this season. Among the promises Kendrick said were not met:

• Allowing players to keep textbooks for resale, a practice that occurs at some other schools.

• Waiving a $5 charge for high school coaches to attend Mountaineers games.

• Having authority over distribution of sideline passes. Kendrick said Rodriguez "negotiated" one for his wife, Rita.

• Having authority to allocate funds from the 1100 Club for coaches.

• A committment to increase pay for his assistant coaches.

• Additional money to pay graduate assistants.

• Hiring an additional recruiting assistant.

"I believe Rich will have a strong case against the university," Kendrick said. "They should and will fight the university. How could this happen?"

Kendrick said he and other donors stated they would fund the requests but their offer was denied.

"This was 100 percent preventable, which is what makes it so sad," Kendrick said. "He was frustrated. Things weren't getting done. He'd never say it because he's a class act. So I'll say it."

Stephen Goodwin, chairman of WVU's Board of Governors, expressed support for how athletic director Ed Pastilong and WVU president Mike Garrison have handled the coaching situation and said the university listened to others' suggestions.

"WVU went to the ends of the earth to keep the coach here -- and clearly, some of our major donors assisted the school in that effort," Goodwin said. "There were some very minor issues that [Rodriguez] raised with the administration -- and people were working on them. I think you will agree that the things that are being talked about are pretty minor in comparison to what has been done already.

"But he clearly was looking for an excuse to leave -- he looked last year, and again this year.

"But when he went to visit [Michigan], and then came back to campus with demands based on those minor issues -- university officials simply told him they would continue to work the issues," Goodwin said. "He was asked to focus on the student athletes and the upcoming bowl game. There's a long offseason coming up to work out those sorts of minor issues. Whoever comes in as coach will know that they can count on support from WVU on big issues and small issues."

During Rodriguez's tenure with the program, Goodwin said the university increased his salary by 70 percent, raised the salaries of his assistants, built a $2 million academic center for the team and commenced construction on a $6 million locker room renovation.

"That loss to Pittsburgh [in West Virginia's final regular-season game, denying it a berth in the BCS Championship] was bad. But seeing what it would take to win in light of the items yet to be resolved, he began to see it in a sinister way," Kendrick said. "He had made an impassioned plea for what he needed. And they had stiffed him. He felt he had no support and had no choice but to leave."

Kendrick said former West Virginia basketball coach John Beilein had his buyout negotiated down from $2.5 million to $1.5 million after last season, in part, because WVU had failed to deliver on promises.

Beilein now coaches Michigan.

"At the end of the day, the university is governed by its board and its president, and the people they appoint to positions of responsibility," Goodwin said in his statement. "Making donations to a public university does not entitle anyone to dictate policy or personnel."

Rodriguez's departure has created hard feelings around the state.

The Associated Press reported Tuesday that signs proclaiming Grant Town, population of less than 1,000, as the hometown of Rodriguez have come down by order of Mayor Robert Riggs.

Riggs said Tuesday he wasn't doing it out of anger, but to pre-empt vandalism or theft by outraged Mountaineers fans, the AP reported. Grant Town is about 20 miles west from West Virginia's Morgantown campus. The signs are in storage, and Riggs said he plans to return them to the resident who originally paid to have them installed.

Even West Virginia's governor had something to say about Rodriguez's departure. Gov. Joe Manchin, a fellow Marion County native, said the coach is a "victim" of high-priced sports agents. A shop that sells cemetery memorials in Charleston put the words "Coach Rodriguez" on one of the headstones displayed in a shop window.

Originally Posted by dr funk 13

Bellotti was offered the jobs to those Universities before:

Pete Carroll
Jim Tressel
Tyrone Willingham

And if I'm not mistaken they were all hired before the start of the 2001 season.

..umm, not quite. Bellotti himself said that he was never offered the Ohio St. job. AND this was after tosu had Tressel and Glen Mason (
sick.gif
) as their finalists.

Dear ....... :

Thank you for your application for the HEAD FOOTBALL COACH position in the department of Athletics, requisition
number 13431. This position was posted 11/26/2007 through 12/19/2007. The department has completed their
activity on this position, and it has been filled.

You are encouraged to continue your career search by using the University's
automated employment system at http://www.umjobs.org. If you have questions
about this email or your application(s) for positions, please call the HR/Payroll
Service Center at 734/615-2000.

Sincerely,

The University of Michigan

Please do not reply to this automated email. Direct responses and inquiries
to the HR/Payroll Service Center at 734/615-2000.
eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom