let this thread die (NYK)

Toney Douglas is a good defender ?
rajon-rondo-towel-boston-nba-funny-photos.jpg

http://twitter.com/#!/alanhahn
http://twitter.com/#!/alanhahn
http://twitter.com/#!/alanhahnhttp://twitter.com/#!/alanhahn
alanhahn Alan Hahn 
Henry Bibby wore No. 17 as member of #Knicks '73 title team. Mike Bibby, born 3 years after his dad's career in NY ended, chose No. 20. #fb

alanhahn Alan Hahn 
FWIW: @BigJorts55 chose, obviously, No. 55. He is the fourth player in #Knicks history to wear 55. Can you name the other 3?

alanhahn Alan Hahn 
He went with No. 21. RT @Marlana814: @alanhahn what # is Shumpert? #PurchasePending

[font=Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif][/font]

http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=#PurchasePending

I'm a little conflicted on Crawford. On one hand he brings a scorer off the bench, another legit ballhandler, and someone who can feed Chandler/Amare off alleys. I don't think he should be starting though...and it seems like that's the role D'Antoni sold him on.

I can't believe people are acting like Douglas is god on the defensive end. He's solid at best, we'll be fine without him.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I can't believe people are acting like Douglas is god on the defensive end. He's solid at best, we'll be fine without him.

After what Rajon Rondo aka Brick man did to him in the postseason ive downgraded him to average 

Originally Posted by Cyber Smoke

Toney Douglas is a good defender ?<
rajon-rondo-towel-boston-nba-funny-photos.jpg

We gonna act like Tony basically had no shoulders in the playoffs. Last year a lot of our struggles on defense was because there was no communication. They basically played every man for themselves there was no help D. Let's not forget Shrump is a rookie he is not gonna shut down starting 2 guards from day 1

Chauncey Billups offered his assessment of the Knicks after being waived under the NBA’s new amnesty clause.

“I think they are probably a couple of pieces short, but I won’t say what they are,

Originally Posted by 10027

Originally Posted by DubA169

Yo imagine how crazy we would be if we didn't trade for melo. We would be pulling our hair out. For all we know melo and cp end up on the lakers or something

We'd have the assets to make a strong trade push for Paul or Howard right now, both infinitely better players than Melo.  And we'd be talking with him about signing as a FA.

But we might have ended up with nuthin. I'd rather have melo than cp long term though. Dwight I'd want

HPbasketball Hardwood Paroxysm
Key with Crawford for me, you double Melo or Amar'e, you pay. That's the objective.

Werd

I think Crawford could work well for us as an offensive spark plug coming off the bench when Melo sits. We had some problems last season getting buckets for someone other than Amar'e when Melo took a breather. Landry, TD, Walker and the crew are too inconsistent. Mal is guaranteed buckets at any time in any role, he can create his own shot and has good range. His game has also become more efficient since his stint under Isaiah, working with his former coach Woodson would ensure that he keeps on the right track.

The trade off between TD and JC would be on the defensive end and frankly I don't think Douglas is that much of a better defender than Crawford. TD gambles a lot and shows a lot of energy on the defensive end but hes not very effective. Have we forgotten how many times he fails to go under picks, gets blown by on the perimeter by average PGs and commits stupid fouls? When you get _'Antoni mad for making stupid defensive mistakes, you know you're doing something wrong.

Crawford can play D too. He's lanky and has good defensive fundamentals and can harass smaller PGs...he's just not as physical as Tony Allen or Dahntay Jones but he's not a turnstile on defense either. I remember him being a better perimeter defender than TD. At the end of the day...the defensive tone of this team will be set by Melo. If he commits to defense like he did at the end of last season and means what he said about changing the perception of the Knicks on the D....every one else will buy in and we will surprise everyone with how well we can defend teams.

But not only is JC a better scorer....he's a much better passer. Crawford has good PG skills for his position and size. As much as TD has been given the coaching and opportunity...he is a TERRIBLE floor general. He has no peripheral vision and misses out on making the easiest plays. Crawford is a passing and shooting threat plus he creates size mismatches, thats enough for me to welcome this pending trade.

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

I think Crawford could work well for us as an offensive spark plug coming off the bench when Melo sits. We had some problems last season getting buckets from someone other than Amar'e when Melo took a breather. Landry, TD, Walker and the crew are too inconsistent. Mal is guaranteed buckets at any time in any role, he can create his own shot and has good range. His game has also become more efficient since his stint under Isaiah, working with his former coach Woodson would ensure that he keeps on the right track.

The trade off between TD and JC would be on the defensive end and frankly I don't think Douglas is that much of a better defender than Crawford. TD gambles a lot and has a lot of even energy on the defensive end but hes not very effective. Have we forgotten how many times he fails to go under pick and rolls, gets blown by on the perimeter by average PGs and commits stupid fouls? When you get _'Antoni mad for making stupid defensive mistakes, you know you're doing something wrong.

Crawford can play D too. He's lanky and has good defensive fundamentals, he's just not as physical as Tony Allen or Dahntay Jones but he's not a turnstile on defense either. I remember him being a better perimeter defender than TD. The defensive tone of this team will be set by Melo. If he commits to defense like he did at the end of last season and means what he said about changing the perception of the Knicks on the D....every one else will buy in and we will surprise everyone with how well we can defend teams.

But not only is JC a better scorer....he's a much better passer. Crawford has good PG skills for his position and size...as much as TD has been given the coaching and opportunity...he is a TERRIBLE floor general. He has no peripheral vision and misses out on making the easiest plays. Crawford is a passing and shooting threat plus he creates size mismatches, thats enough for me to welcome this pending trade.
True, good post. The thing that Toney does that I don't see anyone else on the team do though is contest jumpers. I don't remember Crawford being the type to run through a screen and contest a shot. Melo is obviously the weak link on defense though. Those Cavs games last year, it was 5 on 4 on the other end bc of him. 

Alan Hahn: Scrimmage time, Toney running PG with starters. Bibby on second team. #Knicks about 5 minutes ago

[Jared Zwerling] Jared Zwerling: Knicks were working on defending the corner three ... now quick offense. #TwitPict http://twitpic.com/7rzhj2 about 8 minutes ago

Alan Hahn: Mike Woodson setting up defensive philosophies already:http://#%@*!#@.com/s/164052488 about 14 minutes ago

Originally Posted by CoupeIt88

Wait did we sign JJ? What's going on?

its been reported that you guys did.
also the crawford deal might hit a snag because the knicks dont want to include douglas in the trade

Originally Posted by 10027

Yo imagine how crazy we would be if we didn't trade for melo. We would be pulling our hair out. For all we know melo and cp end up on the lakers or something

We'd have the assets to make a strong trade push for Paul or Howard right now, both infinitely better players than Melo.  And we'd be talking with him about signing as a FA.

But we might have ended up with nuthin. I'd rather have melo than cp long term though. Dwight I'd want
I guess that's the attitude they had when they made the trade, though I think it was too impatient.  The good thing like Hollinger said is that all these contracts will reset at the same time so that even if things don't work out in a few years we can start rebuilding right away rather than getting stuck in Layden/Isaiah-land.  
I'll always be personally sad about the Melo trade, I loved that team and I still have alot of questions about Melo as a leader and a winner.  But you root for what you have, and the moves have been good this offseason.  I hope we don't forget how valuable Amare has been going forward.  

Hardwood Paroxysm 
Knicks fans: Crawford allowed a 36.5% FG% defensively in last year's playoffs, good for 71st percentile.

HPbasketball Hardwood Paroxysm 
Ok, ya'll are confused. Allowing a 36.5% FG% is really good. The secret is Crawford played well defensively in last year's playoffs.

Crawford was also 61st percentile in the regular season, 41.2% FG% allowed.

So to review, Crawford was 61st percentile in the regular season, 71st percentile in the playoffs. So really not bad.

I'm not even saying Crawford's a good defender. I'm saying defense is systemic, which is what I always say.

The key point is to remember defense is based on the system and team. Yes, we're all aware we have D'Antoni so there's no need to mention that again... but Chandler's impact on the team's defensive intensity should be considered heavily, as well as Woodson being the defensive coach.

Ken Berger 

A wign-and-trade that would bring Jamal Crawford back to the #Knicks would not include Toney Douglas in its current form, source says.
[/url]

Originally Posted by amishpimp27

goldenchild9 wrote:
The thing that Toney does that I don't see anyone else on the team do though is contest jumpers. I don't remember Crawford being the type to run through a screen and contest a shot. Melo is obviously the weak link on defense though. Those Cavs games last year, it was 5 on 4 on the other end bc of him. 

I forgot about those L's to the Cavs 
sick.gif

2chrofb.jpg

If Melo wants to live up to his potential and remembered as a great player he really has to give a consistent effort on the defense.

Originally Posted by MetroKid26

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Can't wait to see my baby Tina Cervasio every other night... <3

Cervasio_032410_095RTW.jpg

#HomeCookin'
pimp.gif
jill-martin-bikini-intro.jpg

Don't forget Jill Martin at half time asking celebs those dumb questions
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom