Let Us Talk About The BEST Hip Hop Albums (Vol. Solo Debuts)

So I'm sittin back, smokin playin Xbox talkin @@@$ (an enormous amount as usual), so we're listening to It's Dark & Hell Is Hot, and I justthought about it... This N DMX really captured lighting in a bottle (or a vial) either way, his debut is AMAZING...

We continue on, in between puffs we get into a discussion about, where exactly would Its Dark & Hell Is Hot rank amungst the BEST solodebuts of ALL time... We agreed it was DEFFINETLY top 10 (concensus was somewhere around 7 or
glasses.gif

So me being the list whhore that I am decided to concoct a list of the 10 BEST Solo debut's...

Black+On+Both+Sides.JPG

Mos Def - Black On Both Sides (1999)

After receiving critical acclaim on his group effort with Talkib Kweli & DJ Hi tek (collectively known as BlackStar), his highly anticipated solo debut hitthe streeets in the fall of 1999, and became the FIRST album on Rawkus records to go gold (800K+ units sold to date).

College_Dropout.jpg

Kanye West - The College Dropout (2004)

After years of playing the background, meanwhile providing some of the BEST tracks for some of our FAV rappers, Kanye WestFINALLY had his time to shine in 2004, and that he did. Soulful beats and heartfelt lyrics about his life struggling as a sometimes student,most times producer ALL the time $@$ hole.

Long+Live+The+Kane.jpg

Big Daddy Kane - Long Live The Kane

Before there was BIG, before there was a Camel Stedman, it was Big Daddy Kane that reigned as the greatest rapper on the streets of Brooklyn. His smoothdelivery, and witty punchlines mixed with laid back production/sometimes BOOM BAP, and a great sense of humor made for one of theMOST enjoyable debuts in hip hop history.

929.jpg

DMX - Its Dark & Hell Is Hot (1998)

As mentioned before... Dropped in the summer of 98, as a part of DMX's 6 month RULE on the hip hop world (from a quality stand pointatleast).

album-reasonable-doubt.jpg

Stedman - Reasonable Doubt (1996)

Prolly the OLDEST artist on the list @ the time of his debut, at the ripe age of 36 Camel Stedman hit the scene with his solodebut... After years of failed coatail riding, and stints as a BUDDY hustler, he finally found someone to get him a legitimate record deal,and the album was later redestributed via Def Jam.

1709_only_built_4_cuban_linx....jpg

Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

I was hesistant to put this on the list... NOT because the overall product, cause the album is AMAZING... But this is barleya "solo" effort by ANY stretch of the world, if anything its a duo with Ghostface, but none the less... Rae's name is thebiggest on the cover, and I'm sure he got a bigger perecentage than Ghost (prolly not as much a the Rza's money hungry $@$ , but thats another thread)

Ready+to+Die.jpg

Notorious BIG - Ready To Die (1994)

"The heavyweight brother from Fulton Street"... With his 94 debut, Notorious BIG not only brought the east back, he showed rappers that there wasmedian when it came to making HARDCORE hip hop and still being able to make records with crossover appeal without compromising lyricism.

album-amerikkkas-most-wanted.jpg

Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted (1990)

Hardly a rookie to the rap game by the time his solo album hit the streets, the former NWA rapper (and rhyme writer), decided to try his chances as a soloartist... 20 years later... I think he made the right decision. The album is dope, its hardcore gangsta rap but @ the same time it's politically chargedand conscience...

drdrethechronic_3.jpg
img092-1.jpg

Dr Dre - The Chronic (1992) & Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle (1993)

The debate we had came to a stalemate when my man brought up The Chronic... Cause as much as its a family effort, @ the end of the day its STILL Dr Dre'ssolo debut, and there was no way it could not be included.

As far as Doggystyle, when it comes to solo debuts, this is deffinetly one of the best, from the production to the Snoop Dogg that actually found itappropriate to use DIFFERENT verses, instead of spitting the SAME one...

nas-illmatic.jpg

NaS - Illmatic (1994)

Predictable...
Trendy...

I mean what else was gonna be #1??

Just missed...

Big Pun - Capital Punishment
50 Cent - GRODT
The Game - Documentary (atleast I thought so)
Slick Rick - Great Adventures Of..
Lauryn Hill - Miseducation (NOT 100% hip hop, so I couldn't include it)
D.O.C. - No One Does It Better
Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
Young Jeezy - Thug Motivation 101

Disclaimer:
Liquid Swords was NOT Gza's debut...
Resurrection was NOT Common's debut...
Eric B & Rakim are a group (of sorts)...
Diamond D had the Psycotic Nuerotics...

damn, i must be the only one who thought college dropout was crap.

GRODT should have been on the list.

how about whatever g rap album came w/o polo, was it 4,5,6...not sure

ice-t rhyme pays, not his best album but better than some listed above...

eazy-e eazy-duz-it technically qualifies

redman's what the was dope

i'll check back later,
give some time to think

GRODT was so crazy when it came out. Ill never take that away from Fif.

^Love Elzhi but all time solo debuts?

I'm not really mad at the list. It's really good. Ghost's Ironman deserves a nod.

@ NEIGHBORHOOD. Infinite was Em's first album not SSLP

Im going to have to add to this list because it seems incomplete...forget the solo issh when these things cannot be mentioned.

36chambers.jpg

cnn-war-report.jpg

Big+L.jpeg

big_pun_capital_punishment.jpg

more to come...

Originally Posted by Master Zik

^Love Elzhi but all time solo debuts?

I'm not really mad at the list. It's really good. Ghost's Ironman deserves a nod.

@ NEIGHBORHOOD. Infinite was Em's first album not SSLP

ahh, yea. i always forget infinite since it wasn't released from a big label.

For the most part, everything was on point. Even agree w/ the honorable mentions.

Stedman - Reasonable Doubt (1996) *DEAD*
roll.gif

Originally Posted by hennySMASH

Originally Posted by zube42

^Preface and GRODT are not better than any of the albums on the list
laugh.gif
cam-true-mag.jpg

Care to elaborate... I mean instead of posting pictures of WASHED UP rappers, I'd personally like to know which of those albumsISN'T better than Preface (which I've NEVER even heard) or GRODT which is prolly #11 or 12 (as clearly stated in theHonorable Mention)...

If I have time I'll check Elzhi's +#+$, but I never really cared for Slum after Dilla left... I remember seeing Elzhi when he FIRSTjoined the group, when they opened for Mos Def about 9 years ago, and I was like "did they just grab a N out the crowd to rap"...

Haze...

Is Salvation really THAT good?? I 've had it for sometime but I haven't given it a spin yet... I enjoyed Corner Store Classic tho...

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

Originally Posted by hennySMASH

Originally Posted by zube42

^Preface and GRODT are not better than any of the albums on the list
laugh.gif
cam-true-mag.jpg

Care to elaborate... I mean instead of posting pictures of WASHED UP rappers, I'd personally like to know which of those albums ISN'T better than Preface (which I've NEVER even heard) or GRODT which is prolly #11 or 12 (as clearly stated in the Honorable Mention)...

If I have time I'll check Elzhi's +#+$, but I never really cared for Slum after Dilla left... I remember seeing Elzhi when he FIRST joined the group, when they opened for Mos Def about 9 years ago, and I was like "did they just grab a N out the crowd to rap"...

Haze...

Is Salvation really THAT good?? I 've had it for sometime but I haven't given it a spin yet... I enjoyed Corner Store Classic tho...
If you never heard it, arguing is useless. You'll stick to your guns and i'll stick to mine, no?

Personally, i dont think thats Cubes best album, let alone a classicc debut.

Back
Top Bottom