Let Us Talk About The BEST Hip Hop Albums (Vol. Solo Debuts)

Originally Posted by MR MONDAY NIIGHT

Originally Posted by hennySMASH

This deserves top 10, maybe even 5

Preface-Cover.jpg

get the %*$% out of here
roll.gif
You dont listen to eminem.

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

Haze...

Is Salvation really THAT good?? I 've had it for sometime but I haven't given it a spin yet... I enjoyed Corner Store Classic tho...
Check it out my G.

Personally it was one of the best Hip-Hop albums I have ever heard.

If it dropped in 96/97 it would've been front page news, now its just another ZIP file.

Deep and enjoyable at the same time. Its in my top 25.

Originally Posted by zube42

^Preface and GRODT are not better than any of the albums on the list
laugh.gif
cam-true-mag.jpg

Care to elaborate... I mean instead of posting pictures of WASHED UP rappers, I'd personally like to know which of those albums ISN'T better than Preface (which I've NEVER even heard) or GRODT which is prolly #11 or 12 (as clearly stated in the Honorable Mention)...

If I have time I'll check Elzhi's +#+$, but I never really cared for Slum after Dilla left... I remember seeing Elzhi when he FIRST joined the group, when they opened for Mos Def about 9 years ago, and I was like "did they just grab a N out the crowd to rap"...

Haze...

Is Salvation really THAT good?? I 've had it for sometime but I haven't given it a spin yet... I enjoyed Corner Store Classic tho...
If you never heard it, arguing is useless. You'll stick to your guns and i'll stick to mine, no?

Personally, i dont think thats Cubes best album, let alone a classicc debut.

Yea but he only has ONE SOLO DEBUT...
DAYTONA 5000 wrote:
No Infamous?
(Juvenile Hell doesn't count!)
Harlem On The Rise wrote:

HNIC one of the BEST solo debuts??...
eyes.gif
ONLY on NT... (N.O.R.E. > H.N.I.C.)

ONLY on NT will you find people willing to argue about Elzhi not being included in the list, but won't complain about Slick Rick'sdebut, or LL's... D.O.C. ...

I mean there's a FEW albums that could be argued, unfortunatley NONE of them have been mentioned...

No BS, College dropout was dope and all but I woulda put Documentary over it. Maybe 1 skippable/wack track on that album, College Dropout got a handful.

Rest of the list is on point though,
laugh.gif
I couldn't choose between Chronic and Doggystyle either

And for yall screaming for The Infamous, READ THE THREAD TITLE AGAIN

Originally Posted by zube42

^Preface and GRODT are not better than any of the albums on the list
laugh.gif
cam-true-mag.jpg

Care to elaborate... I mean instead of posting pictures of WASHED UP rappers, I'd personally like to know which of those albums ISN'T better than Preface (which I've NEVER even heard) or GRODT which is prolly #11 or 12 (as clearly stated in the Honorable Mention)...

If I have time I'll check Elzhi's +#+$, but I never really cared for Slum after Dilla left... I remember seeing Elzhi when he FIRST joined the group, when they opened for Mos Def about 9 years ago, and I was like "did they just grab a N out the crowd to rap"...

Haze...

If you never heard it, arguing is useless. You'll stick to your guns and i'll stick to mine, no?

Personally, i dont think thats Cubes best album, let alone a classicc debut.

Yea but he only has ONE SOLO DEBUT...
DAYTONA 5000 wrote:
No Infamous?
(Juvenile Hell doesn't count!)
Harlem On The Rise wrote:

HNIC one of the BEST solo debuts??...
eyes.gif
ONLY on NT... (N.O.R.E. > H.N.I.C.)

ONLY on NT will you find people willing to argue about Elzhi not being included in the list, but won't complain about Slick Rick's debut, or LL's... D.O.C. ...

I mean there's a FEW albums that could be argued, unfortunatley NONE of them have been mentioned...

This isnt name every debut you can think of, Its name the best ones..
nerd.gif

Lots of great debuts, Vagina Diner, Word.. Life, Lifestylez, etc

slick rick is one of the greatest btw

Come to think of it...kanye or dmx dont belong in that list... OC-word life Ras kass-soul on ice Doc-no one can do it better Slick rick's joint Bigpun's @#%! Ghostface-ironman 50s album... All albums i would put before kanye's or x's @#%!...

This isnt name every debut you can think of, Its name the best ones..
nerd.gif
Coming from the SAME guy that posted an Elzhi album...
eyes.gif

kanye_shrug-285x300.png

How can i even take this seriously tho? You never heard the Preface. I thought it was common knowledge that eLZhi is one of the best out. NT gottaput those Vado and Gucci tapes down and get familiar.

just cuz he is considered one of the best out (which i find debatable) the preface was not a top 10 rap debut..its easier for me to definitely argue whatshouldnt be up there..i know damn well elzhi shouldnt..

only ones id argue with are chronic (which was dope) but he wasnt a debut artist per se, and same for raekwon, and cube..like he was an established artist in away..but with all that great content listed ..it really comes down to opinion and preference cuz they are all great

Originally Posted by Dapper D

Come to think of it...kanye or dmx dont belong in that list... OC-word life Ras kass-soul on ice Doc-no one can do it better Slick rick's joint Big pun's @#%! Ghostface-ironman 50s album... All albums i would put before kanye's or x's @#%!...

If you factor in
Orginiality
Quality

Reception
&
Overall Impact

There's NO way you can take DMX off the list... His album dropped the SAME year as Pun's debut, 12 years ago andwasn't nearly as popular (or good)...

OC & Ras Kass debut reception & impact are NOTHING to write home about...

As far as Ghostface... Cuban Linx is just as much his as it is Rae's IMO, so I didn't really find it necassary to include it... (tho its anAMAZING album)

Hmm...solo debuts:

The D.O.C. - No one can do it better
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
Redman - Whut? Thee Album
LL Cool J - Radio
DMX - It's Dark and Hell is Hot
Big Daddy Kane - Long Live the Kane
Nas - Illmatic
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
AZ- Doe or Die

Probably forgot several, but I remember those off the top of my head.

You shoulda eliminated anyone with legitimate prior group albums from contention. A solo debut from a true rookie is different than a solo debut from an artistthat's already made classic music imo.

big-puinisher-capital-punishment.jpg
I haven't read the whole thread yet but please don't tell me this is the first time this has been mentioned.

No One Can Do It Better, Food & Liquor, Illegal Business?, and a few others also deserve honorable mentions at least.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

I haven't read the whole thread yet but please don't tell me this is the first time this has been mentioned.

No One Can Do It Better, Food & Liquor, Illegal Business?, and a few others also deserve honorable mentions at least.

Haha, mentioned NOCDIT on the last page.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

I wasn't surprised when i didn't see it

Nay said pun was wack
grin.gif

Just read the first post. Pretty cool list there, I was just listing some of my personal faves I thought were great. But to these people saying GRODT shouldhave been there,
or was anywhere close to a top 10, just.....
smh.gif

Too hard for me to pick an order but here is my top 10 as of today (it prolly will change by tomorrow):

Ready+to+Die.jpg

Tribe+-+Low+End+Theory.jpg

MusicCatalog%5CJ%5CJay-Z%20-%20Reasonable%20Doubt%5CJay-Z%20-%20Reasonable%20Doubt.jpg

8767-the-college-dropout.jpg

200708131031400.jpg

fugees-cover.gif

illmatic.jpg

67bd828fd7a0ead2129d2110.L.jpg

6a00cd96fde2fe4cd500d4143e6c9c685e-500pi

The+Infamous.jpg

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Too hard for me to pick an order but here is my top 10 as of today (it prolly will change by tomorrow):

Ready+to+Die.jpg

Tribe+-+Low+End+Theory.jpg

MusicCatalog%5CJ%5CJay-Z%20-%20Reasonable%20Doubt%5CJay-Z%20-%20Reasonable%20Doubt.jpg

8767-the-college-dropout.jpg

200708131031400.jpg

fugees-cover.gif

illmatic.jpg

67bd828fd7a0ead2129d2110.L.jpg

6a00cd96fde2fe4cd500d4143e6c9c685e-500pi

The+Infamous.jpg
3 of these (tribe, Mobb, Eric & ra) are not debut albums

Back
Top Bottom