Let's make everything about RACE (Unapologetically Black Thread)

backstory?

In response to someone else saying it wasn’t worth it to them to put time and effort into learning how to use chopsticks, I said this:

I’m pretty proficient with chop sticks and don’t feel like it took a lot of time and effort to get that way. Didn’t sit around trying to catch flies with them Mr. Migayi-style or anything like that.

I can eat rice with chop sticks

Mad random - 2 threads talking about chopsticks - I felt the need to say something about myself and chopsticks.

:lol:

Bill that could help Black farmers reclaim millions of acres 'a step in the right direction'

There was a time when Black-owned farms were booming -- before those farmers were stripped of tens of thousands of acres because of racist policies.

Today, most rural land in the U.S. is owned by white people. But now, finally, a new piece of legislation could help African Americans reclaim some of that acreage.

it´s funny, black folks started out working damn near all the farmland and now have...damn near none of it.

always the wildest part of the conservative ethos for me...how you gonna tell people to work harder if they wanna get rich when everything you have is stolen? lucky people don´t pull themselves up by your bootstraps.

128333539_10222958369841651_6974644625836297483_n.jpg

127908894_10222960708820124_5658013864383263444_n.jpg

Sixty-five years ago on this day ROSA PARKS Refused To Move To The Back Of The Bus. That Courageous Act Started The Montgomery, Alabama Bus Boycott.

"Whether it’s food, music, politics, or literature, Afrolatinos have played a major role in shaping Latin America and U.S. culture. Lala Anthony breaks down everything you’ve ever wanted to know about Afrolatinidad, celebrating the rich history of the Afrolatino diaspora, while trying to understand why there are so many misconceptions about Black Latino identity."

"Whether it’s food, music, politics, or literature, Afrolatinos have played a major role in shaping Latin America and U.S. culture. Lala Anthony breaks down everything you’ve ever wanted to know about Afrolatinidad, celebrating the rich history of the Afrolatino diaspora, while trying to understand why there are so many misconceptions about Black Latino identity."

"Black Mixed with Latino" - therealest1 therealest1 ( KHUFU KHUFU )

Still can't for the life of me understand the descendants of black Africans made slaves denying that lineage in favor of their white slavemasters because they spoke spanish. There's strength in acknowledging that heritage.

Still can't for the life of me understand the descendants of black Africans made slaves denying that lineage in favor of their white slavemasters because they spoke spanish. There's strength in acknowledging that heritage.
Colorism is a powerful cause celebre, observing that culture.

128771658_10222963657653843_5090125016392716511_n.jpg

African (Black) history in Europe from 1400 is briefly recalled on this date.

To address the story of black people in Europe, certainly addresses the history of slavery and the history of European colonialism. The relationship between the two continents began with mutual respect and curiosity. For the last 600 years Africans, African-Americans, African-Europeans, Europeans, and European-Americans are still paying for the results. The history begins, as so much in the modern world, with the business expansion of European culture.

While Europeans had always known about Africa, they hadn't known much. Their desire to make money made Africa interesting. The first real substantial relationships Europeans forged with Africans were with the Islamic civilizations and traders of North Africa. These two groups had been in sporadic but undefined contact all through the European Middle Ages. In the fifteenth century, the major Islamic civilizations were beginning to decline in power, but not in their impressiveness. The Europeans were amazed by what they saw, especially in the Sudanese empire.

The modern history of Europe and Africa is overwhelmingly saturated with Europeans forcibly deporting Africans into European states. Equally Europeans forced political, social, religious, and economic practices on Africans during the colonial period and afterwards. Europeans were as much interested in African culture as they expected the Africans to be interested in theirs. All the contemporary evidence implies that they saw the Africans as equal partners in civilization, government, and commerce. The Africans, it seems, also believed this. During this heady period at the start of the cultural exchange between the two hemispheres, Africans regularly came to Europe to study Western culture; in 1518, for example, Henry of the Congo traveled to the Vatican and became the first bishop of the Congo. All this would change, however.

The two hemispheres were headed for a collision. The tragedy that broke this initial historical pattern was slavery, and slavery, in a great irony of history, was driven by the discovery of a new hemisphere in the west. The European trade in human goods begins right at the start of European relations with Africa. This initial slave trade, however, was small. The trade itself had begun long before the Europeans ever cast a jealous eye on the land of Africa. The Islamic civilizations and traders of North and Western Africa had a booming traffic in black slavery as they marched slaves across the Sahara to regions in the east. Surprisingly, though, slavery was not racially based in most of human history; racial slavery, that is, slavery that is predicated on race as a way of separating slave from free, is a creation of the seventeenth century. Slavery has been a constant in human history.

The only period of time in which slavery has not been a major part of the human experience is within the last two hundred years. Slavery has one and only motive: economic. Slave labor is cheap labor; it is purchased at the price of the survival of the laborer. It is not necessarily efficient labor, however, for people do not really invest themselves in coerced work. Most of human history is characterized by low production economies; these low production economies produce just enough to survive for the majority of the workers in the economy. In such an economy, slavery, or coerced labor, is one of the most common solutions to maintain a large, low productive economy.

Throughout most of human history, slaves were drawn from conquered populations and defeated armies, and many slaves were simply sold (or sold themselves) into slavery by the rulers or their families. These people were slaves by virtue of being slaves; there were no racial, ethnic, or physical markers of slavery or subsistence servitude. Such was the situation that the Europeans encountered and traded in. When the Portuguese forged contacts with the Islamic civilizations and traders of North Africa, they diverted much of this trade to Europe, including the Muslim traffic in black slaves. The Portuguese, however, were not satisfied with trade with North Africa and pushed down the western coast of the continent.

In 1441, a group of Portuguese in West Africa discovered a village of black natives and, to make some money, attacked them and kidnapped as many as they could. As a result began the European traffic in black slaves. By 1854, the Portuguese were importing thousands of Africans per year into Portugal to work as indentured servants. This traffic, however, was far different from the character of the later slave trade. Technically, the Africans were not slaves; they were indentured servants. After a period of service they were freed. It was not possible to be born a slave in Portugal. The children of indentured servants were free.

This would be the case throughout the sixteenth century. Also, slavery was not racially based. The Africans kidnapped by the Portuguese were baptized, many were educated, and they all integrated into the lower classes of Portuguese society. Africans and Europeans intermarried; to this day, most Portuguese are of mixed blood. This early trade in human lives was relatively small.

Two things, however, would change history. The discovery of America precipitated the need for huge amounts of subsistence labor, and the development of high production agricultural economies in America in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries greatly changed the face of the African slave trade and its aftermath.

America then introduced RACE into the equation.
P Present DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican

Supreme Court to mull challenge to convictions under "racist Jim Crow" jury laws

Jerome Morgan was imprisoned for second-degree murder in 1994 after 10 out of 12 jurors voted to convict him. The two jurors who wanted to acquit Morgan were the Louisiana jury's lone Black members — and they were right.

The then-17-year-old was at a New Orleans birthday party in 1993 and hid when gunshots rang out, before helping save the life of a victim who later testified in Morgan's defense. Still, it would be nearly 20 years before the Innocence Project discovered evidence that led to Morgan's exoneration in the murder of a 16-year-old who died in the shooting.

The Supreme Court ruled in April that laws allowing for felony convictions based on non-unanimous juries are in violation of the Sixth Amendment to the Constitution. Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote in the 6-3 majority opinion that non-unanimous jury laws in Louisiana were designed to render Black juror service "meaningless." In a concurring opinion, Justice Brett Kavanaugh wrote the laws originated as "a pillar of a comprehensive and brutal program of racist Jim Crow measures against African Americans."

I know I'm answering a very old post but let me correct this:

500 + year headstart AND laziness is black people problem.

We have the same problem in Africa...the europeans are physically gone (still they have their puppets as head of states tho) since at least 50 years yet the people are still sleeping...Can't deny some aren't lazy and that it would be the last thing to define them, but in general yeah, the community as a whole is sleeping.
Methodical Management Methodical Management

129071884_10222961853648744_2562509245928403450_n.jpg

On this date in 1905, the Moon Illustrated published its first issue. The Moon Illustrated Weekly magazine was founded and edited by W.E.B. Du Bois.

The magazine was the first nationally illustrated weekly produced by and for African Americans. The experience was short lived, however, with only thirty-four issues produced in total from the end of 1905 through July or early August of 1906. Out of these publications only four issues survived. As the rarest African American periodical of the twentieth century, a sense of the magazine can be derived by the few copies that remain.

Issues focused on the people, places, and events of interest to early 20th century black communities in the U.S., while also taking a more international perspective with articles on happenings in South Africa, Liberia, and Barbados. With the quick failure of the magazine, likely due to the cost of producing it and the effort on the small staff of publishing it, Du Bois moved on to another editorial endeavor; this time editing the Horizon, a journal he continued to oversee until 1910 when he accepted the directorship of the NAACP.
There he founded and edited The Crisis, which at its peak circulated to more than 200,000 homes. The Moon Illustrated Weekly format and content is often cited as a precursor to The Crisis.

128849069_10222947530370671_8498364451696975874_n.jpg

Mae Mallory was an activist of the Civil Rights Movement and a leader of the Black Power movement. She is best-known as an advocate of school desegregation and black armed self-defense.

Mallory was born in Macon, Georgia, on June 9, 1927. She later moved to New York City with her mother in 1939.

In 1956, Mallory became a founder and spokesperson of the “Harlem 9,” a group of African-American mothers who protested the inferior and inadequate conditions in segregated New York City schools. Inspired by a report by Kenneth and Mamie Clark on inexperienced teachers, overcrowded classrooms, dilapidated conditions, and gerrymandering to promote segregation in New York, the group sought to transfer their children to integrated schools that offered higher quality resources.

“Harlem 9” activism included lawsuits against the city and state, which were filed with the help of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). By 1958, it escalated to public protests and a 162-day boycott involving 10,000 parents. The boycott campaign did not win formal support from the NAACP, but was assisted by leaders such as Ella Baker and Adam Clayton Powell, and endorsed by African-American newspapers such as the Amsterdam News.

The mothers were retaliated against by New York City, which tried to prosecute them for negligence. However, in 1960, the Harlem 9 and Mallory won their lawsuit, and the Board of Education allowed them and over a thousand other parents to transfer their children to integrated schools.

Mallory greatly supported Robert F. Williams, who was the NAACP chapter leader in Monroe, North Carolina, and the author of Negroes with Guns. During the Freedom Rides, Mallory worked alongside Williams and Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee activists who were demonstrating in Monroe.

Mallory was an organizer of the Sixth Pan-African Congress held in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. She was present at the assassination of Malcolm X at the Audubon Ballroom on February 21, 1965. A couple months later, she played a key role in a Times Square protest against the United States occupation in the Dominican Republic. In 1966, she participated at an anti-Vietnam War rally.

Mallory died in 2007

127276749_10222942701849961_1742851165497836072_n.jpg

Women of Color in the 1800s Were Banned from Wearing Their Hair in Public....

Late 18th century Louisiana, black and multiracial women were ordered to cover their hair in public.

There was, in fact, a “law” of sorts that demanded women of color in Louisiana to cover their hair with a fabric cloth starting in 1789 as a part of what was called the Bando du buen gobierno (Edict for Good Government). What these rules were meant to do was try to curtail the growing influence of the free black population and keep the social order of the time. The edict included sections specifically about the changing of certain “unacceptable” behaviors of the free black women in the colony including putting an end to what was believed to be the overly ostentatious hairstyles of these ladies which drew the attention of white men, and the jealousy of white women. These rules are called the “Tignon Laws” A tignon (pronounced “tiyon”) is a headdress.

Apparently, women of color were wearing their hair in such fabulous ways, adding jewels and feathers to their high hairdos and walking around with such beauty and pride that it was obscuring their status. This was very threatening to the social stability (white population) of the area at the time. The law was meant to distinguish women of color from their white counterparts and to minimize their beauty.

Black and multi racial women began to adopt the tignon, but not without a little ingenuity. Many tied the tignon in elaborate ways and used beautiful fabrics and other additions to the headdress to make them appealing. In the end, what was meant to draw less attention to them made these ladies even more beautiful and alluring.

Why do NTers still have the Washington Football team old logo as their NT icon?

Last edited:
I guess this would fit in now...

128879502_10222956257308839_2212951355051831021_n.jpg

The biscuit cutter was invented on this day November 30th in 1875 by Alexander P. Ashbourne, an African-American inventor and dry goods grocer from Oakland, California.

129514584_10222968175366783_5002764353371533083_n.jpg

From "Harlem Bible": The notoriously ruthless Harlem Renaissance era illegal numbers boss Stephanie Saint Clair, "Madame Queen" or, as she was also known as the "Harlem Dragon Lady" used to feed the pigeons breadcrumbs by City College. During her formative years, Madame Queen ran the murderous Harlem numbers gang called "the 40 Thieves." While I was a young boy, she was an older adult. She had an obsessive-compulsive indulgence during her decline, and that was the feeding of the pigeons as if they were her children. The fur scarfs that she wore around her neck bore the hideously ugly heads with black marble eyes and the feet of dead foxes. I imagined Madame Queen living in a haunted house of taxidermy. She was so unpleasant looking that it was easy for me to picture her murdering those dead foxes with her bare hands and enjoying it. I knew nothing of Madame Queen’s criminal chieftain reputation. All I knew was that the cranky old lady was about to feed bread crumbs to those, birds. I’d run-up to the gathering flock of pigeons and shoo them away. Madame Queen with her witchlike, cold, bloodless gaze attempted to strike me in the head with her wicked walking stick more than a few times. I’ll never forget how those dead fox skulls flung towards my, head as she tried to whack me. If I had been aware of her reputation as a gangster, I would have never disturbed her or those pigeons.

Back
Top Bottom